Start by marking “Today Matters: 12 Daily Practices to Guarantee Tomorrow's Success” as Want to Read:
Today Matters: 12 Daily Practices to Guarantee Tomorrow's Success

Today Matters: 12 Daily Practices to Guarantee Tomorrow's Success

Most of us look at our days in the wrong way: We exaggerate yesterday. We overestimate tomorrow. We underestimate today. The truth is that the most important day you will ever experience is today. Today is the key to your success. Maxwell offers 12 decisions and disciplines-he calls it his daily dozen-that can be learned and mastered by any person to achieve success.
Published November 8th 2005 by Center Street

To ask other readers questions about Today Matters, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Amy | Foxy Blogs
Every once, in awhile, I to go to my first love in reading; non-fiction. I really enjoy John C. Maxwell because he’s a motivational speaker who uses Christian values to share his thoughts on different subjects. His book, Today Matters, can be used by any faith system. Don’t let the word “Christian” hold you up from reading this book because it’s not a bunch of ideas set to scripture.

TODAY MATTERS and there are 12 principles to put into practice.

♥Attitude: Choose and display the right attitude
Sassa Mifrass
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I can't stand the feeling of one day blurring into another, of weeks where you just don't feel anything had changed or improved. As I age I'm becoming more aware of my limited time - if I died tomorrow, would I look back on what I've done in the last ten years and say "Yep - that sure was worth the effort?" Or would I wonder why I spent so much time worrying about unimportant things, wasting energy on unimportant things, and not doing the stuff that I really cared about?

This is probably the best
Paul
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: coaching
The writer admits early on in the book that he hoards snippets and it shows. Most of this book is a restatement of his central theme using different quotes and stories. Based around his "daily dozen," Maxwell urges that "The way you live your life today is preparing you for your tomorrow."

Each chapter is dedicated to a different focus. Maxwell explains how your decisions impact your life and gives suggestions on how to carefully craft your actions in the present to create your future. For exampl
Florence Millo
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is without a doubt my all time favorite motivational book. Every chapter in it is full of inspiration toward leading a full and rewarding life. I've read it at least 10 times and every time I am inspired and uplifted. I'm just going to list the 12 chapter titles to give you the book in a nutshell or rather 12 nutshells.

1. Today's attirude gives me possibilities.
2. Today's priorities give me focus.
3. Today's health gives me strength.
4. Today's family gives me stability.
5. Today's thinki
Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read.
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Today Matters. It's a such a simple concept yet most of us tend to ignore it.

"I'll do it tomorrow" ... ring any bells?

Johny boy has put together a list 0f 12 simple yet powerful principles.
As with any book of this type, the 'principles' are all very common sensical. Yet there is something reaffirming and, dare I say it, empowering in reading them and if you're so inclined - taking notes.

It's a fucking horrible feeling when days blur into each other and if someone asked you about yesterday, la
Cindy Johnson
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love John Maxwell books! Inspirational! Educational! They make me happy!
Bebe
كتاب ولا أروع كتاب قيم جداً

إذا ارت أن ترتاد أفاقاً لم تطأها من قبل فيجب أن تفكر في اساليب لم تفكر فيها من قبل.
وسيعلمك هذا الكتاب الذي وضعه جون سي.ماكسويل كيف تفعل هذا في هذا الكتاب
المهم الممتع ، يوضح لنا جون سي.ماكسويل كيف تفكر بطريقة تجعلك في المقدمة
في هذه الأوقات العصيبة وتوجد لنفسك إمكانات وفرصاً مثيرة....
يستحق ٥ نجمات واكثر

Jessi Payne
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as part of a leadership class. The findings and information were developmental and beneficial. Naturally, I needed to read more of John Maxwell's books.

Jessi Lohman
Author

Paul Gustavson
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anna
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Audiobook. I listened to this one off and on as I was travelling for work and leadership training. Mr. Maxwell was a good narrator. The book itself was decent but nothing jaw-dropping. I do admit it may have suffered from the fact I've spent the past week and a half with similar messages being thrown at me in class almost non-stop at work. But I thought it was pretty good. There's a lot of focus on values and trust which resonates. Good for a car ride or a long walk, especially if you are trying ...more
Jakob
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really great read,
Motivates one to consider ways to better utilize, focus on, and embrace the same 24 hours we all have.
Meredith
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was FAB-U-LOUS! I wish I could rate this higher, because this book was literally one of the best I've ever read. As a person who seeks to live intentionally and constantly better myself, I found Maxwell's 12 daily disciplines highly practical and attainable. And I really appreciated the approach to this book. While Maxwell is a Christian and certainly shaped each point through a Christian worldview, this wasn't just another fluffy-devotional-spiritual-growth-book.

To me, Maxwell provid
Tony
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Not too bad. There were a couple of good nuggets. In fact, I'll have my 10 year old son review chapters 1-3 (attitude, positive thinking, priorities). I did find, however, this books was a collection of John Maxwell's anecdotes ("When I was 22...") and powerful quotes from big thinkers. There wasn't much science or weight behind his approach. I enjoy books that refer to numbers or studies rather than one person's personal view of the world. While his view is fantastic and he's obviously successf ...more
Stangreen
It is always good to read a John Maxwell book! In this book, Maxwell lays out 12 things you can do every day to grow yourself. He give good examples of how he has implemented these practices in his own life. The good news is you don't have to start doing them all on day one to get value from them. You take few at a time and work on them until you are ready to move on to others. Once you have one practice down, you start using it. Overall a good approach and set of practices to provide success in ...more
Amin elahifard
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
عنوان: شادمانی بی سبب؛ نویسنده: جان سی مکسول؛ مترجم: مهسار مشتاق؛ ناشر: انتشارات سپید؛ در 236 ص؛ موضوع: روانشناسی
بسیاری از کتاب ها ادعا می کنند که می توانند زندگیتان را تغییر دهند، اما چه تعداد از آنها واقعاً می توانند به شما بیاموزند چگونه گام های کوچکی را بردارید که به موفقیت هر روز زندگیتان منتهی شود؟ در کتاب حاضر نویسنده به شما نشان می دهد که چگونه از امروز بیشترین استفاده را بکنید.
Emmanuel Ayeni
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nice audiobook. This is a book worth reading again and again.

It was an interesting and impactful read a detailed review will be a good step from here
تَــرُّو ❤
رائع بكل ماقد تعنيه هذه الكلمة من معنى
مساكين من لم يحظوا بشرف قراءئه
ENG Saeed
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
لليوم أهميته

الناس الذين ينتظر الفرصة المناسبة لن يكون مستعداً لاستغلال أية فرصة تلوح في الأفق

عندما تأتي الفرصة يكون قد فات وقت الاستعداد لها

٢- ما الجوانب التي تعود علي بأكبر نفع ؟
الت
Patty
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had read part of this book before, but felt like I could use a refresher on a few of the twelve daily practices to start off this New Year. There are several really good aspects of this book - it’s accessible, to the point, and provides good questions to ask yourself in each of the critical 12 areas. Naturally there is some cross over among these areas, but each is worthy of some introspection from time to time. Downsides to the book, at least for me, are the endless quotes by various people, ...more
Kim Park
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
On any given day, this is not the type of book that I would pick up and buy. Being schooled in a private girl's school, I think, has made me shy away from the preachy kind of books that tells you what you should and should not do.

Surprisingly though, this book held my interest from the very beginning. I guess it answered a few questions that has been nagging at me since last Monday.

John Maxwell, through this book made me question my view of success in relation to money, fame, hardwork, etc. He
Casey
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
John Maxwell always has some good pointers for how to improve your life. I liked how he breaks it down into small, bite-size pieces of advice that help you focus on what is actually important to you. The focus on the small changes made today leading to big picture changes over time is something I think we can all be reminded of. I also enjoy how he adds stories as an example for each of his topics. It helps illustrate his points and makes the book so much more interesting and relatable, and less ...more
Holly Buxton
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This short read is packed with timeless truths in how daily discipline can have lifelong benefits.

The book is a sort of reflection of the life of John Maxwell. The 12 disciplines Maxwell has lived by in his life are both inspiring and challenging. This books presents his life disciplines in an engaging narrative as Maxwell gave personal examples of how the disciplines have shaped his life over the long haul of decades lived.
Mandi Ehman
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book left me wanting...more. It felt like it was simply skimming the surface of many topics without really diving deep into any of them. It was thought-provoking, and I plan to use some of this to build my own daily practice routines (and I am really enjoying the companion journal, Jumpstart Your Priorities), but I felt like the transitions were abrupt and the "in my 20s...in my 30s...in my 40s...etc" sections were really just fillers.
Adam Webb
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Today Matters. Nothing new here; however, Maxwell does a great job reminding the reader why Today Matters. He walks the reader through his daily dozen and how to apply it. The best chapter for me was at the end when he talks about a personal growth plan. This was very applicable. Glad I read it and looking to apply important concepts.
Rahma Alghafri
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
There comes a point where you literally hold a pen and a notebook to write the main points. Lot of information. You think you know them until you realize that you didn’t know their application in your life.
Heather D
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first John C. Maxwell book to read that did not disappoint. It merely went my appetite to read more life changing and motivating principles to lead a successful life. Definitely take the time at the end to assess your own 12 focuses and vision for life.
Tanni Desmond Awa
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very insightful to help me focus on today. Reminded me to strive to always make the day I am in my master piece so that tomorrow will take care of itself.
Thank you #JohnMaxwell for sharing you honest experience with me
#Mottanni
Elias E Sanchez
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

A must to have book for anyone looking to grow, learn, improve and become the best one can be. In the kind of world and environment we live in now John’s masterpiece on Today Matters is a must. Highly recommend it.
Shane Lundbohm
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book and got me motivated to stop watching life pass me by and start pursuing my dreams. I checked it out from the library but am going to buy it so I can highlight and refer back to it all the time.
Ono OnLuck
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Idea is great.Today really matter.However it was not the one made me extremely inspired.Because of author is Christian, readers will find some of his belief related parts from the book. But it was fine for me, coz I am Christian too.
  • The Encore Effect: How to Achieve Remarkable Performance in Anything You Do
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Leadership Mastery: How to Challenge Yourself and Others to Greatness
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom For Work & Life From 50 Landmark Books
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Communicate With Confidence!
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • Leadership by the Book: Tools to Transform Your Workplace
  • لا تقع فريسة لزلة لسانك
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the Qbq!
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • 17 Lies That Are Holding You Back and the Truth That Will Set You Free
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
“Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.” 5 likes
“Today Matters People create success in their lives by focusing on today. It may sound trite, but today is the only time you have. It’s too late for yesterday. And you can’t depend on tomorrow. That’s why today matters.” 2 likes