Start by marking “The Princess of the Chalet School” as Want to Read:
The Princess of the Chalet School

The Princess of the Chalet School

(The Chalet School #3)

This is the third in a series of stories which feature the inhabitants of a school in the Austrian Tyrol, Chalet School. In this particular story, Joey and the school's resident princess are involved in an adventure. ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The Princess of the Chalet School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess of the Chalet School

Start your review of The Princess of the Chalet School
Rosemary Atwell
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Impossibly old-fashioned, irrelevant and great bedtime reading. Enjoy.
Daisy May Johnson
The Tyrolean part of the Chalet School series remains a constant and beguiling delight to me. There's something so obvious about Brent-Dyer's love for the surroundings and her brand new school that I can't help but adore these early books.

Elisaveta is our new girl for this term and she's a Princess. She's a Princess of Belsornia and she's being sent to the Chalet School to improve her health. (And this always reminds me of "I came for the Waters ... I was misinformed") Naturally hijinks ensue -
Abigail
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed the First Two Chalet School Stories
School story meets Ruritanian fantasy in this third entry in Elinor M. Brent-Dyer's popular Chalet School series, which (originally) ran to fifty-eight titles, and which chronicles the many adventures of the girls who attended the international girls' school founded by Madge Bettany in the Austrian Tyrol. Opening in Belsornia, a make-believe Balkan nation somewhere to the east of Italy, The Princess of the Chalet School follows the coming of Elisaveta of Belsornia to Miss Bettany's school on the ...more
Carolynne
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
An early Chalet School book, it is one of the most beloved in the series, but one of the least interesting, in my opinion. Elizaveta escapes her wicked uncle, who is trying to usurp the throne of fictional kingdom Belsornia. Too much emphasis on Elizaveta's rescue by the intrepid Jo, and not enough on character development. In my opinion, the best books in the series deal with the adjustment to school life of a misfit girl, perhaps one who is lonely, arrogant, peculiar, etc. One good example is ...more
Beth
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The school parts are great, but they're weighed down by the "our school is special enough to have a PRINCESS attending" stuff. It's too precious and it comes too soon into the series, like Brent-Dyer needed a gimmick to prove how great the place is.

I don't like gimmicks.

Also, on page 7:
The doctor thought again. "There can never be any question of Princess Elisaveta succeeding to the throne?" [Note: that doesn't read like proper English to me.]

"None. The Salic law holds good here. I believe the
Gerry
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third in the Chalet School series has Princess Elsaveta joining the school from Belsornia. She integrates well but there is underhand work afoot in her home country.

Dastardly Cosimo traces her to the school and then tries to abduct her but Joey Bettany is not to be trifled with and she goes to the rescue.

In addition the headmistress, Joey's sister, gets married and when Cosimo is finally discovered at the bottom of a ravine, everybody lives happily ever after.

Jolly good fun!
Donna Boultwood
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great story. Great new characters of the princess and the matron. Loved the section on talking louder and the snails! Brilliance once again. Can believe Madge is going! What will happen next??
Samantha
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ultimate-list, 2021
Another lovely nostalgic trip with the teachers and pupils of the Chalet School; there were two strands to the story the arrival of Elisaveta and a new Matron.

I was hoping that Matron would stick around a bit longer as she was such a great foe - she was the one you would boo and hiss at in the pantomime - I too wanted to be a member of the Society for the Suppression of Matron (S.S.M.)! Ms. Brent Dyer includes some exciting escapades which the setting of the Tyrol lends itself so well to and Jo
Vicki
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Re-read in an afternoon. Despite the deeply bizarre plot it's another of my favourites from the series. I always liked Elisaveta, her friendship with Joey and Madge's low key but rather lovely wedding and revisiting it didn't disappoint. ...more
Tracey
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chalet-school
This one has plenty packed in it. The Society for the Suppression of Matron, lighting strikes, kidnapping and a Royal procession. Gentle reading to escape to another time.
Geraldine
Another very enjoyable read in this epic series, combining the far-fetched with the warm and familiar.

'The Princess' is Elisaveta from the Imaginary state of Ruritania. Her father, the Crown Prince, very enlightened for the time, send her off to boarding school (note that her near namesake, born just before this book was published) never went to school!

The book has a plot. It's not a spoiler to say that Elisaveta is kidnapped by her father's evil cousin (and, under Salic Law, heir presumptive),
Shawne
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of the most dramatic books in a very dramatic series (that includes mountain rescues, avalanches and escaping the Nazis), The Princess Of The Chalet School is an enjoyable if rather over-the-top read. We meet a honest-to-goodness princess in the Chalet School universe - Elisaveta of a fictional Belsornia - and watch as she becomes a proper little schoolgirl in the Tiern See, even as her mad uncle Cosimo plots to improve his prospects in court.

It's all quite outlandish, to be fair, alb
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I know I'm in a bit of a reading slump, which in my case means being difficult to please, but this really isn't good enough. I like school stories that are about school, not impossible things.

This term sees Madge planning her wedding, and no one's happy about that. The school has grown to thirty-something students, among them a princess! Yes, I know that royalty sends their kids to boarding schools. That's not the point. This just...I dunno. It doesn't work in any way for me. Joey is again the
Emma Rose Ribbons
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-stories
This is my favourite so far (I'm reading them in order), perhaps because I'm getting used to its being more an adventure series than a school series. I also really enjoyed the plot, however predictable, and the use the girls make of their new survival/wilderness skills learned while trying to get more badges (I don't want to spoil here, but the last adventure Joey has is a good example of that). I feel that the whole Guiding aspect of the book was handled very badly, though, seeing as it was jus ...more
^
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Upper and upper-middle class ten year old girls
Recommended to ^ by: My mother

First read this as a ten year old, loved it, and still love re-reading it today. I suspect that my parents saw in this, and the other Chalet School books, a fun way to learn good manners, to enjoying adventures in life, but not to do anything really stupid. On the whole that worked.

It was only in later years, as I grew into haunting second-hand bookshops, that I discovered just how dire the writing was of so much 1920’s schoolgirl fiction, & thus appreciated Elinor M. Brent-Dyer’s talent for nar
Katherine Bruce
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This one attempt by EBD to introduce a princess to one of her schools provides for a very interesting if rather stereotypical Ruritanian storyline. She augments it with the interesting concept of a bad staff member, in this case Matron, which, while it is an idea she repeats in the Chalet series later, is not one she tends to use in her other school series. Matron, who is openly racist and encourages (typical for the period) strong-arm tactics such as dragging girls along by brute force and lock ...more
Jessica
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fiction
One of my favourite Chalet School books (I love almost all of the ones I've read). Brent-Dyer connects a number of plotlines (Elisaveta, Matron, Madge) and makes them very much part of one term - there's no disjointed sense of 'this happened. Then that happened. Term ended' that sometimes characterises school stories.
The Cosimo plotline doesn't have to be massively realistic - the use of a fictional kingdom situates it firmly within the story, and so it works really effectively as an adventure.
Maja
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of the Chalet School books, or of the whole boarding school genre, while growing up. I've started reading this series now, as an adult, and I'm really enjoying it. The setting is so beautiful (and the author obviously knows and loves it) that I'm, unexpectedly, enjoying even the parts in which nothing is happening except for the girls getting out of bed, brushing their hair, going to breakfast and having lessons. That said, The Princess of the Chalet School is my favourite nove ...more
Celia
Feb 16, 2008 rated it liked it
The third book of the Chalet School series is probably the most overly dramatic of the first few books, at least. A princess comes to the Chalet School, and with the help of Joey manages to evade the cruel intentions of her mad (mad!) uncle, who wants the crown for himself. There's a mountain climb (naturally - if these book are to be believed, you can't get anywhere in Austria without scaling a mountain), and everyone frets about Joey's health. Again. They all live happily ever after, and Joey ...more
Sally
The very first one I read... and I didn't like it! My friend Jo had the entire series and lent me it - not sure why this one and not the first. I wasn't a huge fan, but later on I picked up Summer Term at the Chalet School to give the series another go, loved it, and the rest is history. :) I of course read Princess again but still wasn't a huge fan. ...more
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books in this series. Elisaveta, who is the Princess of Belsornia, has been sent to the Chalet School, to help her recovery from an illness. The fact that she is a princess has been kept secret from her schoolmates, except for Joey Bettany.

Her cousin, who would be heir to the throne after her father, the Crown Prince, kidnaps her from her school in order to force her father to give up his position as the Crown Prince. Joey sets off to rescue her, and once again, saves the day
Kirsti
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy these books, except for the parts that are in another language (is it French? No idea) that just is assumed you know what the heck they're saying. I get the Koffee part, but everything else? Totally lost. The story itself isn't too dependent on that though, and moves along nicely. Found my copy at my local op shop, and was a bit dismayed at the price ($30.00!) but they knocked it down to $10 for me, yay!

I'd like to find more of these books, but they're a bit hard to find.
Sarah Adamson
This is book 3 in the Chalet Girl series. This one focuses on the addition of a new pupil to the school - a princess from a small nation.
This book explores some issues of class and complicated family relationships. It also introduces Girl Guides and sees the end of the school being directly under the guidance of Madge Bettany.
A fun one and a book I enjoyed more as a child than on my re-read as an adult. This time I found the bad guys a bit too annoying rather than scary!
Heather
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY enjoyed reading this lovely Girls Gone By edition of one of my favourite Chalet School books.

I could not even tell you how many times I have read 'Princess' over the years, but what a lovely treat to read this beautiful uncut, unabridged version, after reading the Armada version so many times. The front cover illustration is beautiful.

Also enjoyed the article by Adrianne Fitzpatrick on Matrons, Good & Bad.
Boneist
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of a collection of Chalet School books that I found in an Oxfam shop yesterday. I was instantly transported back 20+ years to when I first read some of them.

In this one, we have a princess join the school, just as the head hires an unpleasant Matron. There's plenty of drama in this book, and I was sorry when it ended. Thank goodness I have more to read!
K.L. Taylor
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: children, teens
Recommended to K.L. by: High School Teacher
I loved it just as much as I loved it the first time that I read it. Such a heartwarming book to read.
Tria
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hardback 1st library ed.
T.F.
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The third in the chalet school series which I am also reading in sequence. Guess that is how it has to be read as there stories are chronologically placed as against Series like Bunter and Jennings which aren't. This one had a more exciting plot with a couple of strong conflicts - one around a difficult matron and the other a political intrigue around a princess who joins the school. The regular school setting in the scenic alps makes a fascinating read as usual. There is a picnic to a nearby t ...more
Readsandeats
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favourite books in the whole series.
We get more character development and the introduction of a more worldly feel.
In Elsaveta we find a really nice character who has to live a very resticited life until she comes to the Chalet School. Here we see her bloom and start to enjoy her childhood. She makes friends, goes on adventures - some more hair raising than others - becomes involved in helping the pupils rid the school of someone.
Joey is to the fore as Elsaveta's friend but n
Katja
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5+ stars & 8/10 hearts. This book was *so* good. It was lovely to meet the Chalet Girls again (although Dr. Jem figured less than I would have liked!). Prince Carol was a dear and I loved Elisaveta (and her name!! <3). The kidnapping theme kept me on the edge of my seat and I simply could not put this book down—I believe I read the whole thing in two sittings. I missed some of the elder girls, but it was enjoyable to get to know the young ones better. :)

• The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • Message from Nam
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden, #1)
  • The Reckless Bride (Black Cobra Quartet, #4)
  • Lady Osbaldestone's Christmas Intrigue (Lady Osbaldestone's Christmas Chronicles, #4)
  • Let It Be (Butler, Vermont #6)
  • When You Kiss Me (Maine Sullivans, #3; The Sullivans, #21)
  • Divine Evil
  • Southern Lights
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • Noah (Anderson Billionaires, #2)
  • Hillary's Back! (DI Hillary Greene, #18)
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet