Start by marking “Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao” as Want to Read:
Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao

Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao

Five hundred years before the birth of Jesus, a God-realized being named Lao-tzu in ancient China dictated 81 verses, which are regarded by many as the ultimate commentary on the nature of our existence. The classic text of these 81 verses, called the Tao Te Ching or the Great Way, offers advice and guidance that is balanced, moral, spiritual, and always concerned with ...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Hay House (first published 2007)

Start your review of Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*
A book by Wayne W. Dyer is typically a book I would not pick up. But this particular book of his was about the Tao Te Ching written by Lao-tzu in ancient China about 2500 years agoa book I typically pick up on a regular basis (cause I love it.)

The Tao is only 81 verses long, but there have been many translations over the years. The one I am most familiar with is the translation, Tao Te Ching : A New English Version written by Stephen Mitchell, and is probably the easiest to follow. Dyer used
Debbie Petersen Wolven
At some point today, notice an instance of annoyance or irritation you have with another person or situation. Decide to do the Tao (or practice the Way) in that moment by turning inward with curiosity about where you are on the continuum between desire and allowing. Permit the paradox of wanting the irritant to vanish and allowing it to be what it is.

As I was attempting to read through and absorb this very first lesson, I was given an excellent opportunity to put it into practice. My 13 year old
Cindy
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wayne Dyer chose a most appropriate title for this book because changing your thoughts WILL change your life.This book came along at the perfect time for me because I realized my thoughts were getting in the way of me finding true happiness and purpose in life. Unfortunately most of us are riddled with negative thoughts throughout the day, whether it's what we believe to be true about ourselves, or what we assume others are thinking about us. Both will bring nothing but frustration, low ...more
Natali
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I read this book in the manner in which it was intended. It is a deconstruction of the 81 verses of the Tao. At the end of each chapter, there is a daily assignment to practice the discussed mantra. I powered through the book like a novel, either at the gym or on the subway. I feel like that was the wrong way to do it because I didn't take an afternoon to spend time with a frog, or take an hour long walk to observe nature, or find a homeless person and send him/her a prayer of ...more
阿睿
Assuming these new age self-help gurus are guilty of being woo-woo shamans until they prove otherwise has generally spared me a lot of disappointment, though I do try to avoid being cynical if I can help it. My first encounter with Wayne Dyer, however, doesn't break the mold as one could've guessed from my one-star rating.

My low opinion isn't so much about the content of Dyer's ongoing ramblings he's packaged as "advice". "Let's be nice, less controlling of other people, more mindful of our
MeLita
Aug 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Melissa
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
EXCELLENT book. Wonderfully expressed interpretations of the Tao Te Ching. If everyone lived by these simple guildlines and wisdom, there would be no war, no crime and a unity that is unfathomable based on our current world. One can't help but feel wonderful while reading this book. Great source of "grounding." GREAT read, just before bed.
Mindy
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this book! I had SO MANY "AHHA" moments it was unbelievable! I actually FEEL BETTER now that I have read this book! It has definitely CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER!! Here is a summary of my favorite parts...

Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Stay in this moment NOW!

You are DOING NOTHING, rather you are being DONE! Allow, let go of control, shift your awareness.

No storm lasts forever! When something seems incapable of handling, know that this too shall pass.

The
Andrea
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A bit about me: anyone who knows my bookshelf (and my audio bookshelf) knows I love Wayne Dyer. I've read or listened to most of his books and re-read or re-listen to them often. This is my favorite one, as of today. Here he applies his trademark straightforward, humorous, and totally liveable approach to the Tao. Wonderful advice & wisdom. It's not HIS "wisdom" that I love, but his way of breaking down the Tao and explaining it in ways that are useful and likeable, and most of all, ...more
drozda
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this book arrived as a gift from a far away client...I don't believe she had any idea that I have been a dedicated student of the TAO te Ching for 38 years and that I collect translations. Dr. Wayne Dyer has created a thoroughly researched and thoughtful text for anyone interested in using the TAO as a life path.
Amy
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like all the words of wisdom imparted through out this book, however, having just lost my mother, the references to our mother and the feminine that is within each of us that we should embrace was especially touching! Always love the concept that kindness and humility will ultimately win against anger and abuse. I think Ill go buy a copy of this book and actually read it because I listened to it and theres so many words of wisdom I would like to go back and review. Go do the Tao now! ...more
Roger
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's always good to think positive! And there are some good suggestions in this book. BUT, there is a difference between thinking positive and wishful thinking. Those that would claim 'the power of intention' as a scientific law would do well to understand that from a scientific standard - this is laughable. At best, it is a theory surrounded by belief - not facts, but supposition of facts.

Just because someone believes something, doesn't make it so.

The notion of believing we can manifest
Nila
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those book that are much easier to read then apply. I'm really not sure how something so simple as living in the present moment could be so hard to remember but it is, worrying about the past,scared about future. Dr Dyer has an easy way of writing that makes you want to keep trying to improve yourself. He is right throughout the book simple positive thoughts, you do have the control. Change your perspective,change your world for the better.Best when reread as needed to remind ...more
Jennifer Senne
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who is wanting to be more spiritual
I actually borrowed this from the library as a book on cd. I played it in my car as I was driving my children all over for swimming lessons, to the park, wherever. It is fantastic! My husband actually listened to it and suggested that we purchase it for our own collection. It quotes all of the verses of the Tao and gives you practical ways to live the way of the Tao. It definitely changed my life.
Caitlin
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this slowly, about one verse a night. I really appreciated Dr. Dyer's analysis after every verse. It really helped it sink in and connected the verses to the modern world. From here, I will use a regular copy of the Tao Te Ching to reflect on each night. But I am grateful for this interpretation. Don't judge this book by the cover!
Bruce
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wayne Dyer is a favourite of mine and autographed my hardback copy of this book in January when I was in Maui. This ancient wisdom is timeless. We study personal leadership for years and now here it all is, presented as a basic truth of human existence.
Sarah Storjohann
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite writers and people in this world. Takes the Tao Te Ching and transforms it into something we can relate to, with meditations and wonderful "nuggets" of information - bringing this spirituality into my every day life has helped me immensely. Wonderful read for anyone
Collette
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this guy. Always have. A true philosopher, a spirit we should all listen to. He takes an in depth look at the Tao, an ancient spiritual directive text. I love it. I will read it off and on for filling my spiritual cup.
Lynne Musgrave
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, so many of the ideas are what I have always believed...
Donna
Aug 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It gave me a few good ideas. I usually like more suggestions on how to take action. A always seem to get something out of each book and this one was no different.
Tong W
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-key-summary
Sometimes it can be easier to keep adding rather than stopping or reducing, but the way of the Tao is to retire when the work is done; this is the way of heaven. As the ninth verse states, Sharpen a blade too much and its edge will soon be lost. know when is enough and when to stop... ...more
Jenn
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A profound & thought-provoking book! So many passages appealed to me, highlighted affirmations that really went straight to my heart. Something for everyone no matter what your beliefs are.
Kathy
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved Dyer's books, and after his death, I wanted to read another. He undertook a huge project with this one, and it's not a book to hurry through. I've made my way through it once, and I think I've only begun!
Hanna
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Like some other reviewers here, I also 'read' this in a way other than that suggested by the author and narrator of this audiobook. I listened to it whilst walking the dog, and driving the car mainly, and I knew very early on that this is a book that I will be 'reading' again, hopefully many times. I will let Lao Tzu, through Wayne, guide me on a daily basis, verse-by-verse at some point; but I am happy with my first experience of the Tao Te Ching / Dao De Jing.

Walking through the woods with my
David Feinstein
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Dyer helps "western" readers of today understand the sayings of the Tao. He interprets them for us to use in our everyday lives, as he has. The overall feeling of the book is one of calm acceptance and can help those who read it to reach this calm acceptance for themselves.

Dyer uses concepts such as trusting in your own nature, living contented, getting flexible in your thinking, to name a few.

One of the things I like about Dyer's work is that he wants you to DO something with these ideas.
Carlton Brown
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those in search of cognitive help in adjusting one´s mindset for spiritual harmony.
What a beautiful book! Two main reasons; Ageless words of wisdom (81 verses) from a timeless Sage, Lao Tzu (Father of Taoism), and a practical and modern interpretation for our lives by another Sage, Wayne Dyer, who continuously reminds us how to practically take this into our lives and embrace the world we create each day. Im on my 2nd reread and when i emerge from my morning meditation a few verses of this book, a cup of coffee, some lovely music - gets my day off to a great start making me ...more
Tara Brabazon
Sep 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is a bizarre book. It is a rewriting/reflection and expansion of Tao Te Ching. The Tao is a small 'book' - a series of verses - that are inspiring and encourage meditation and quietness.

Enter Wayne Dyer. He has written a 394 page book that expands on the Tao. This is the equivalent of transforming Shakespeare's sonnets into a Mills and Boon novel.

This expanded book does stress silence, smallness, reflection and care. These are important attributes. But the Tao can fulfill this place. We do
Marty
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. I love the clarity of Dyer's thoughts & practical interpretations of the 2500 year old Tao Te Ching. I knew very little about Taoism before reading this book. It supports my own spiritual beliefs & those of most major religions. I can honestly say that this book is changing my life daily. I am currently on my 3rd reread. It is a perfect way to start the day in a meaningful & reflective way.
Sonny Zaide
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this book, I thought it was just going to be just another touchy-feely-flowery interpretation of the Tao Te Ching, but it was not the case. Although there were a few parts that seemed slightly far fetched as far as "self-help" is concerned, I truly enjoyed this book for its modern interpretation of the Tao Te Ching, not just from a self-help standpoint, but from a philosophical and practical standpoint as you can actually use/practice some of these things. Definitely worth it.
Catherine
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
He helps to make the Tao clearer. He talks about spiritual light and gives the feeling that everything is within your reach--all your love and aspirations. He talks about loving you because you can't give away what you don't have. If you don't love yourself, how can you love anyone else, so love yourself first.
slow 20 54 Jun 27, 2016 02:02PM

• The Gift of Change: Spiritual Guidance for Living Your Best Life
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing
  • Stillness Speaks
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"
  • Heal Your Body: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them
  • Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life
  • Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field
  • Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now
  • Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
  • The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have
Wayne Walter Dyer was a popular American self-help advocate, author and lecturer. His 1976 book Your Erroneous Zones has sold over 30 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time. It is said to have "[brought] humanistic ideas to the masses".

He received his D.Ed. degree in counseling from Wayne State University. He was a guidance counselor in Detroit at the high school level and