Start by marking “If I Loved You Less” as Want to Read:
If I Loved You Less

If I Loved You Less

(Classics Queered)

Matchmaking? Check. Surfing? Check. Falling in love? As if.

Sunny, striking, and satisfied with her life in paradise, Theodosia Sullivan sees no need for marriage. She does, however, relish serving as matchmaker for everyone who crosses her path. As the manager of her family’s surf shop in Hanalei Bay, that includes locals and tourists alike.

One person she won’t be play
Published September 20th 2018

To ask other readers questions about If I Loved You Less, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Loved You Less

Start your review of If I Loved You Less
Joc
Set in Hanalei Bay on the Hawaiian island, Kauai, this is a modern retelling of Jane Austen’s Emma. Jane Austen set out with the intention of writing a character that only she would like. Parker has kept to the story closely enough that Theo really isn’t particularly likeable. I hadn’t realised that this was based on Emma until I was a third of the way into it (I’ve long forgotten the storyline and had to look it up too), getting irritated and had a look at the blurb and reviews on Goodreads.

Th
Briar's Reviews
If I Loved You Less by Tamsen Parker is a super sweet, PG rated romance!

As a fan of Tamsen Parker, I'm always down for whatever book she throws our way! She tends to switch up her genres, her writing style, her narratives and her character types. This time around THE BOOK ISN'T FOCUSED ON SEX. That's mind blowing all on it's own, that Tamsen took a big step out of her "comfort zone" (per say) and jumped into a more dramatic and contemporary world. While that jump could have ended up poorly (let'
Alexis
Based on Jane Austen's "Emma", this is the story of Theo, the manager of Sullivan’s Surf Emporium and Kini who owns Queen's Sweet Shop.

The first and only time I read Emma was when my English teacher decided that since I was a native English speaker I should skip the easier to read books the rest of the class was reading and dive right into the world of Jane Austen. He felt it was his duty to convince 16 year old me that the book was better than the movie Clueless. Ha! (I still fantasize about Ch
If I Loved You Less is a retelling of Jane Austen's Emma. It incorporates elements related to LGBTQ romance, family, friends, matchmaking (of course), surfing, and food. Emma Woodhouse and George Knightley's roles are filled by Theo and Kini, and all the other character roles are easy to spot thanks to Tamsen Parker's dedication to the original. All main events and character traits are captured perfectly, and the more modern additions are tastefully done. Parker's retelling is set in Hanalei, a ...more
Natasha
Review on my blogTwitterInstagram

Rep: queer main character, Hawaiian love interest, f/f romance

I received an arc in exchange for a free and honest review

So, despite Pride and Prejudice being one of my favourite books, as well as my fondness for Jane Austen's Persuasion, I have never been able to finish Emma. I saw Clueless a long time ago and did enjoy that, but didn't know about it's relation to Emma (though to be honest, Clueless is to Emma as 10 Things I Hate About You is to The Tami
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
ARC kindly provided by Tamsen Parker

Rep: lesbian mcs, Hawaiian side characters

The problem I seem to have with Austen retellings is that I almost go into them with too high expectations, and I'm invariably disappointed. Because, let's be real, nothing can really reach the same levels as Austen herself - I should probably save myself the disappointment and stop thinking they might.

That being said, I think this book also suffered a little because Emma happens to be my least favourite Austen and the
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Theo Sullivan is a surfing instructor based in a small island in Hawaii. In her free time she enjoys being the village busybody and matchmaker and eating all things sweet at her friend Kini ʻŌpūnui’s bakery. As Theo is a lesbian, she normally enjoys no-string relationships with visiting tourists but she’d never imagined that the love of her life could be closer than she thought.

This novel is a retelling of ‘Emma’ by Jane Austen. The author mainly writes about m/f and m/m couples with the excepti
Katie
Emma remains a really, really hard book to set in modern times. Especially if you stick as closely to it as this one does (despite making it a f/f story). I was bored and not rooting for "Emma" and "Knightley" in the end.
Beau North
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emma is a tough nut to crack. Up until the last few years, I've always sort of brushed Emma and Mansfield Park off as dull and unwieldy, but it's taken some real reflection for me to recognize them both as being brilliant in their own way, and both deserving their place among the Austen Canon. Emma isn't really so different from the other Austen heroines, believing she knows best, considering herself to be an exemplary judge of character, insulated by her family and community (this is where Fann ...more
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. review to come
Kristin
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I would like to thank the author for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

This queer version of Emma sticks pretty closely to the original storyline. I love that it's set on one of the smaller island of Hawai, it includes lots of detail especially about food!
Tara
As always, Tamsen Parker delivers engaging, often adorable dialogue, and a story that I was able to immediately sink into. Because it follows Theo so closely and all of her antics in and around Hanalei Bay, it’s more chicklit than romance. The romance that’s there is lovely and thoroughly enjoyable, it just doesn’t happen to take up a lot of the pages in this book.

If I Loved You Less is a pretty faithful retelling of Emma, however, so if you’re a fan of that story, then you’ll love this one. And
Manon the Malicious
I was provided an ARC by the author in exchange for an honest review.

When I heard about this book, I really REALLY wanted to read it. I already loved it.
I mean an Emma retelling but queer! What's not to love?!

Sadly, I was disappointed. It felt more like a transposition than a retelling.
Since I know Emma pretty well, I knew the entire plot after reading the first couple pages. I quickly understood who was whom in the original story and then, it was all done.

I didn't find the characters all that e
Leah
This retelling is definitely true to the original, which means it has a lot of the same issues. Ones that are really hard to overlook, especially in the time in which we live.

Read the review on my blog.
Acqua
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book in less than a day. This doesn't happen often to me anymore, but with all its flaws, I have to admit I found this addicting.

If I Loved You Less is a f/f new adult retelling of Emma set in Hanalei Bay, Hawaii. It follows Theo, a 25-year-old woman who is a "matchmaker" in her small town, but isn't interested in marriage herself.
I thought Theo was a really interesting character, and with that I mean that she annoyed me a lot - in a way no character ever had before.
Unlikable narrato
Jess
May 08, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
I was way too conscious I was reading an Emma retelling and it was distracting.
Angie
It's becoming clearer and clearer to me that Emma, not Pride and Prejudice, is the Jane Austen novel that works in modern adaptations. My love of all things Austen combined with the tepid reviews on If I Loved You Less kept me away from this book longer than it probably would have normally, which is a shame because I really, really liked it.

***This review is probably pretty spoilery. But only in that way I'd be spoiling a novel that was published more than 200 years ago. I'm not going to tag thi
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This Emma is set in Hawaii. I immediately loved that. Not many stories are set there.

Theodosia Sullivan is the town’s matchmaker. Self proclaimed, mind you. She’s cute as hell for a 25 year old woman who’s, from what as a reader I first got, is essencially a tomboy. She runs her father’s surf shop, is a surfing instructor for tourists and all around loved by everyone in Hanalei Bay.

What Theo doesn’t take into consideration is, that many of her “matches” are just – natural matches. And so filled
Jess
This book was provided for free by the author and Love Bytes in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

I enjoy Jane Austen’s Emma, but I must be honest—I love the movie Clueless even better. I think it’s one of the best Austen adaptations of all time, and the blending of a matchmaking comedy of manners with 90’s teen drama was an absolutely genius choice. This book is a perfect mix of the two. It
Patricia
It was nice to read. Interesting it took place in Hawaii and nice to see,a modernization of emma. My only complaint is that there are couple curse words in it which I am uncomfortable with.
Margaret
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
This f/f retelling of Jane Austen’s Emma is set in present-day Hawaii, following a young woman named Theo who is determined to set up everyone around her in perfect relationships. Her meddling goes too far, though, with her new friend Laurel, and Theo is forced to acknowledge the fact that she doesn’t know her own feelings at all.

*Deep sigh* Emma is one of my favorite Austen novels, and even though I appreciate the fact that this author made it more diverse and modern…well, this ain’t it. My fir
Cat
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faithful but fresh retelling of Emma

Things you should know about this book:
1. From what I recall of the Gwyneth Paltrow movie (whatever, I remember it more vividly than the book), this it's a startlingly faithful adaptation of Emma in character traits and plot beats. I guess I'm used to the P&P adaptations where a contemporary setting requires more changes
2. Despite the above, the Hawaiian setting and the diversity of race and sexuality make this an absorbing and sparkling new experience
3. You w
Williesun
This Emma retelling ticked all my boxes, mostly the big queer one though and I really wished I loved it more but I didn't. It is a quite faithful modern queer retelling of Emma and that's fine but what bothered me is that you can't transport everything into the modern era imo.

Kini and Theo have a 14 year age difference and while that didn't bother me in the 1800s, it bothers me in the 2000s. And it would have been different imo had Kini not been around since Theo's birth, practically. She has wa
Jackie
Oct 07, 2018 marked it as dnf
I'm usually a huge Parker fan. But this Hawaiian-set retelling of EMMA didn't work for me. In part because there are a lot of things about EMMA that just don't translate well to our times. And in part because Parker's novel was too short to give enough space to all Austen's characters and plotlines. I got about a third of the way in, and didn't have the desire to keep going :-(
Alex
“I know this isn’t fun to hear, and it sure as hell isn’t fun for me to say, but I’ll say it because no one else will. Even if your father or Charlotte aren’t willing to tell you the truth when you fuck up, I will. And I hope it’s clear that I’m doing this because I’m your friend, and I want for you to be more worthy of that than you are right now.”

review to come.
Amy
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok this was a pretty good book, and a good Emma adaptation. It felt a but rushed in the end but overall I enjoyed the hell out of this. Thank god for my Nook because I read this SO quickly last night it is amazing.
Estance Moriarty
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-delightful
A good adaptation of Emma, that made me very hungry.
So much food in the book!
I liked that Theo labelled herself as queer, that was interesting & nuanced, which I appreciate.
Eli
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc-mc, queer, wlw, slow-burn
If I Loved You Less review

3.5*

I want to start off by saying that I’ve never read the original Emma. Everything I know about the story comes from watching the movie Clueless and the plot of the original. However, I love f/f retellings and I was really excited to read this.

This is a really nice story with an age gap (14 years) between the two love interests as well as a slow burn as the main character didn’t realize she was in love with the other until very late in the book. While the main charact
Kimberly (kimberly_reads)
I’d like to thank Suzanne Krohn (on behalf of the author, Tamsen Parker) for sending an e-arc for this book my way in exchange for a honest review.

I would give this book 3.5/5 stars because it was a cute queer story that towards the end I couldn’t hardly put down because I was so invested in what was going to happen next.

It did take me a little while to get into the groove of this book (which was entirely a personal thing; this may not happen with everyone!) and I enjoyed how determined the mai
Kait | sixcrowsbooks
My apologies for getting this up so late, but I did not have the time for the life for me.

If you want to read my full review, here it is on my blog.

Rating:

Trigger/Content warnings for the novel:
--- mention of parental death
--- sexual harassment
--- queer antagonism
--- alcohol/drinking
--- mention of drugs/marijuana/getting high

Representation in the novel:
--- Hawai’ian love interest
--- f/f relationship
--- sapphic women
--- East Asian side character

I received this eARC in exchange for an hon

• Poppy Jenkins
  • Reaping the Benefits
  • The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
  • Marriage of Unconvenience
  • When Angels Fall (WeHo, #1)
  • Dear Emma
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • Entangled
  • Back to September
  • Pretending in Paradise
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • The Care and Feeding of Waspish Widows (Feminine Pursuits, #2)
  • Polite Society
  • Unveiled Attraction
  • To the Moon and Back
  • Three Reasons to Say Yes
  • How Sweet It Is
Tamsen Parker is a stay-at-home mom by day, erotic romance writer by naptime. She lives with her family outside of Boston, where she tweets too much, sleeps too little and is always in the middle of a book. Aside from good food, sweet rieslings and gin cocktails, she has a fondness for monograms and subway maps. She should really start drinking coffee.

You can sign up for her newsletter here to fin