Start by marking “Diary of an Anorexic Girl” as Want to Read:
Diary of an Anorexic Girl

Diary of an Anorexic Girl

Morgan Menzie takes readers through a harrowing but ultimately hopeful and inspiring account of her eating disorder. Her amazing story is told through the journals she kept during her daily struggle with this addiction and disease. Her triumphs and tragedies all unfold together in this beautiful story of God's grace.

Features include: daily eating schedule, journal entries,
Published April 14th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published April 1st 2003)

Jeff
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I believe this book clearly showed me a realistic point of view "of an anorexic girl." I praise this book that it was not all about her eating disorder - it was hardly even about that - but it was about Blythe trying to keep the hold on her friends and family.

I was amazed to see that she was still having insecurity issues about her body, as her future lover and husband left her at the dance for another "little heavy" girl. She thought it was because she wasn't skinny enough. She thought her boo
Ashley
May 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Unrealistic and full of boring fluff. Nothing like the horrors of a real anorexic. Couldn't even get through it. Although i'm a practicing christian the religious undertone didn't help either.
Heather
Finally finished this. It was kinda meh. It never truly committed to anything. The main character felt like she would either be on end of the spectrum or the other. The lines felt too clean cut. I've read better versions of the same story. I gave it 2.5🌟.
Katie Lynn
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
A one-day read for me. Certainly a first book, but it was enjoyable enough.
"I want a man to shake me out of my comfort zone and bring to life everything in me that I thought was dormant or never existed.... I want him to pine for me and paint pictures of me and never love anyone else but me. I know this is a lot to ask, but isn't that what love is: a lot to ask?"
"Nobody truly knows me, but I suppose that's the way it is for everyone. Or at least I hope so. We seem to have the tendency to put on
Erin
Feb 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2006, memoir
This book got great reviews, but I thought it was a trite and tired "journal" account of one suburban middle-class girl's experience with anorexia.
Amanda Olejniczak
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have anorexia myself, this book shows exactly what's its like. Definitely a hard book to put down. I'd recommend it to anyone, even if they don't have or know someone with an eating disorder.
Brittney Haase
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shonanne
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweetly told

if you know someone like Morgan/Blythe you will love this, if you are like her, you will cry. It’s a look back over an honest mess, and it was a privilege for her to share it.
Madison goodbrake
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good. It was an eye opener of how bad it really is when you have anorexia. I never realized how big of a problem anorexia is.
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
Yessica
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Diary of an anorexic girl is a great book! It shows you what girls with this food disorders go through. How they think and/or see themselves on a daily basis. This book will be very descriptive, it’ll have numbers of how much she weights, quantity of how much food she eats per day, and it’ll also have plenty of things about god as well. In this book the name of the girl is
Blythe, but only in the book since this is based on a real life story. Her real name is Morgan.

Blythe tried hiding her food
Marina
Aug 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I read this book in one day and the more I read, the worse it got.. First of all it's really unrealistic. If a book is about an eating disorder, I completely understand that not EVERYTHING has to be about the eating disorder itself, but in this book it's just suddenly mentioned in a sentence, things like "but I couldn't go with them because I don't eat after 8p.m.", okay, so you decided this when?
Someone who develops an eating disorder thinks about foot/calories/excersising all the time, even if
Monisha
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
A really quick read, and it was alright. I mean, I appreciate the author sharing her struggle, but if I had never read the book, I don't think I would have missed out on much. There really wasn't anything that stood out in it. It's, more or less, like every other subpar eating disorder book I've read.

Menzie focuses a lot on the emotional side of anorexia, but the reader never really gets the chance to fully understand why Blythe does what she does. This probably could have benefited from more pl
Makenna Lindeman
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is so great! At times it's hard to read it, because it gets a little bring, but right when your ready to put it down and give up, the writer pulls you right back in. I love this book so much. Some days I can sit and read it for a good hour, because it's so good. It's mainly about a teenage girl how wants to be skinny, and she plans to loose a few pounds, but gets dragged into anorexia. At first nobody notices, but when they do, they say something about it. She sees a counselor that hel ...more
Rachael C.
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Had I never picked up this book, I wouldn't have missed out on much. I appreciate the author's goal, aparently to share her own personal struggles with anorexia. Certainly such elucidation of the anorexic's internal turmoil should educate readers otherwise unexposed to the concept. That being said, the story, in its diary format, spent so much time painting a picture of the anorexic's emotions that it left out large chunks of actual story. This description of an anorexic's battle against her own ...more
Shana Scudder
May 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
The ending was a little much for me. She doesn't really describe her recovery process; she talks about it like something that just "happened" and then everything was okay. That may very well have been her experience, but whatever that was, I would have liked her to go into more detail about it. I think describing recovery is even more important than describing the details of the disease. Or if you didn't recover, then talk about that. But I don't know anyone who has recovered from an ED where it ...more
Lori
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I haven't ever read anything about eating disorders and this was a interesting glimpse into the life of a person suffering from anorexic nervosa. This might sound callous but I felt more sympathetic for her parents than I did for her.

Another interesting point.... At the back of this book is a list of points to keep in mind when approaching someone with an eating disorder. I think that this is a great list that should also extend to obesity.
-avoid talking about food and weight; those are not t
Fiona
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
An emotional and spiritual story of Blythe and her struggle with anorexia. Morgan is Blythe but felt it easier to write her story with a fictional name. She sees a girl in school on the path to anorexia and the attention that the boys give her and decides this is what she will do too. It is written in a subtle way, not too much detail about her anorexia but more about how it affects her relationships with her parents , friends and with God. Her parents notice and seek help for her but she thinks ...more
Kylie
Aug 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young girls, teens
I've started to absorb as much information on Anorexia as I could and thought this book would be a good insight from someone who actually dealt with the disease.

Other then the rather boring diary entry writing format the book kept its pace but I felt it could have been much more emotional. It's hard to connect with the main character Blythe, but it's made understandable through her symptoms of paranoia, however I still cringed watching her weight constantly drop.

Over all it's not made if you can
Taffy
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Easy, quick read with a teen girl voice written in journal entries.

Blythe is a typical teen girl who wants the attention of the cute boy, fit in and enjoy high school. Unfortunately, she catches on to the notion that if she's skinnier all her dreams will come true. This scary idea takes her down a path of self-destruction, manipulation and deception. All along she is asking God for help.

I feel for Blythe. I don't understand her need to starve herself or exercise for so long. But I did come to un
April
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this for the first time awhile ago (think in terms of years) but I enjoyed it when I did read it. However, it struck me that the writing was awfully young for the intended audience. Very interesting, though. I am fascinated by any and all accounts of eating disorders, on account of my own struggles with one... and I am glad that I picked up this book to read. It was a slightly less dense account of anorexia - by that I mean the author was a younger girl when she struggled with and overcam ...more
Liralen
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
I wish the author had either written this as a memoir or fictionalised it further. As it is, it feels like the hybrid that the author admits that it is. Her story probably reflects the average struggling girl's story better than a lot of books out there (that is, she didn't starve herself to the point of hospitalisation, etc.), but some parts - I'm thinking in particular of the letter at the end - are positively cringe-worthy.

As a side note - I'm not a huge fan of religious fiction to begin with
Micaelyn
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
Morgan Menzie's Diary of an Anorexic Girl, which is based on her experience, is a gripping story of identity development in adolescence and her struggle with an eating disorder. This book has helped me navigate my own body image, but I warn you that the content is a bit heavy. Readers beware that this book describes Menzie's experience with anorexia in vivid detail, so this book is not for the faint of heart.
JoAnn
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing. the writing style and the fact that it's based on a true story just made it phenomenal. since i own a copy, i wrote all over it :D underlined, drew hearts/smileyes, frowns, etc. the best part is the author was a Christian so she had things about God, too- that any girl growing up could relate to. :) LOVE THIS BOOK.
Yvonne Yollin
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! It showed what it was like to live the life of an anorexic girl. How hard it is to accept that you are sick and have a problem. Once you realize this you can learn how to live your life in the best way possible.
Cammi
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wanted to add this book to my library for my classroom and wanted to read it first. Menzie says it is based on her life, which really shows. It is believable and I think it would be great for preteens and teens.
chels marieantoinette
I really only read this book cause it reminded me of my own childhood. Conservative upbringing, private school, eating issues, etc. it was a quick, easy read- done in a day. Nothing spectacular, but not a wasted afternoon.
Kerrilynn
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
The raw truth behind one girl's journey with anorexia nervosa.
Mariana
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Becky Goetz
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was a great book! It was an easy read on a hard topic.
  • Empty: A Story of Anorexia
  • Perfect: Anorexia & Me
  • Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder
  • Thin
  • Running on Empty: A Diary of Anorexia and Recovery
  • Good Girls Do Swallow: The Darkly Comic True Story of How One Woman Stopped Hating Her Body
  • Goodbye, Paper Doll
  • Diary of an Exercise Addict
  • Insatiable: The Compelling Story of Four Teens, Food and Its Power
  • Slim to None: A Journey Through the Wasteland of Anorexia Treatment
  • Thinspo
  • The Anorexia Diaries: A Mother and Daughter's Triumph Over Teenage Eating Disorders
  • Biting Anorexia: A Firsthand Account of an Internal War