Start by marking “Diary of a Wombat” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Wombat

Diary of a Wombat (Wombat)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  4,751 Ratings  ·  355 Reviews
Wombats are cuddly-looking, slow-moving Australian animals. Their favorite activities are eating, sleeping, and digging holes. Here, in the words of one unusually articulate wombat, is the tongue-in-cheek account of a busy week; eating, sleeping, digging holes . . . and training its new neighbors, a family of humans, to produce treats on demand. This entertaining book, wit ...more
Published August 18th 2003 by Clarion Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Wombat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Wombat

Miriam
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Wombats are cute. As long as they are happening to someone else.
Lisa Vegan
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody; this is one adults might enjoy even more than its targeted audience of young children
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This is the week long diary of a wombat (an Australian animal that likes to dig holes, eat, and sleep.) As the week progresses and it attains its desires, the story just gets funnier and funnier; it really had me chortling. The pictures are hilarious as the wombat keeps her sleepy expression throughout all her many activities.

This is a book particularly good for anyone who has a companion animal because they will certainly recognize the training animals are adept at giving to humans. It’s also f
Kathryn
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Abigail --thanks!

This is a delightful little story, amusing, with CUTE-as-can-be illustrations. Growing up on five acres in the country, I was used to deer coming by and asserting their rightful territory by eating our flowers, drinking our water, etc. Now, I want to spend some time at an Australian country house so I can see a wombat do the same! :-)

The story takes sunny approach to the pressing and troublesome issue of humans invading wildlife territory--I couldn't help but feel sorry for our little wombat, e
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is one of my favourite picture books, ever since it first came out, and it's taken me seven years to finally get a copy - but the wait is worth it.

Wombats are lazy animals - cousin to the koala, which is only awake for about 45 mins a day - and oh so adorable. When I was in Grade 6 I did an assignment on the hairy-nosed wombat, and learnt about their unique defence tactic: like koalas, wombats have a hard plate of bone on their lower back. Koalas use this for sleeping in the fork of branch
Jackie "the Librarian"
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal lovers and owners of small children
A charming and very single-minded wombat finds a lovely home with some new neighbors, and teaches them to give him carrots. I think my cats may have read this book. Although they prefer kitty treats to carrots, of course.
Renee
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015, kids
We have borrowed this book a few times from the library, but today we were lucky enough to win a copy from the author when she came to visit our local library! I love this book, it's such a simple and fun insight into the life of a wombat.

**Interview with my 4 year old (who won the book by scratching her ear with her toe, just like a wombat)**

Me: What did you think of this book?
Her: Awesome!

Me: Which bit did you like best?
Her: All of it.

Me: Do you like carrots?
Her: Yes

Me: Do you have fur on the
Anna
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely story about a very naughty wombat. It starts innocently enough but the wombat quickly decides that life could be more interesting, regardless of what any humans might think about her destructive habits. The wombat's matter-of-fact account of her days, told in diary form, are very funny, particularly in conjunction with the charming illustrations. The ending is quite endearing, and while one can't help feeling a little bit sorry for the humans in the story, they have clearly succ ...more
Lisa
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: felix
The fantastic illustrations in this book pull up the totally-ok story.
Patricia Bellchambers
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
it was funny when it said "found a brown hairy thing ivading my territory battled with the hairy thing and won" even know it was a door mat. lol
Kest Schwartzman
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really thought there was going to be a "don't feed the wildlife" type moral here. Nope. The moral is that wombats are adorable and you should do whatever you can to make them be cute near you.
Saffron
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book really tickles me and I've read it to lots of classes, who also seemed to enjoy it nearly as much as I did!

As the title suggests, this book is told in diary format so the text is very sparse, but it’s the deadpan delivery coupled with the dissonance between the words on the page and the illustrations that make it so funny. It details a week in the life of a wombat, which largely consists of sleeping, digging and eating carrots. These harmless activities impact somewhat negatively on th
Andrew Shute
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was read to my Year 1's as part of their literacy work.

The book is large but has minimal writing but this makes for a an effective impact. The book is subtly brilliant especially as it then concludes that the wombat stating that "humans make good pets" had the children in stitches!

Was also a good book for a basic introduction of text written in the style of a diary.

The vocabulary contains some new challenging words but this extends pupils vocabulary (with some explanation from the reader)
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Of course, Bruce Whatley's pictures of the wombat and his mischief were awfully cute. However, the story wasn't much, just a typical week in a wombat's life interacting with humans. What I liked about the book was what I learned about wombats. They seem to present the same kind of nuisance to people in Australia as raccoons do to people in the U.S. Both kinds of creatures can be terribly destructive. I kind of felt sorry for the family in this story, whose door and garden were ruined. It did mak ...more
Chelsea
Oct 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favorite picture book that wasn't part of my childhood. It's in the same vein as Diary of a Fly and Diary of a Worm, but a little less cartoony. Rather than the fly or worm writing a diary, it's more the accounting of how the wombat spends her days, and her dealings with the local humans. Simple drawings, prose, and story. Funny, sweet, and just a great book.
Tayla
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book when I was younger and thinking it was absolutely hilarious! Now I read it every now and again and it reminds of the memories I had as a child! It's a cute book about a wombat and his adventures!
Camilla
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardback

I got this in a surprise Wombat care package, from the land of Wombats.. Yes that would be Aussie-land..

And I LOVE it!! And I love wombats!! lol I need my own wombat, so yeah, I'm moving to Aussie-land.. Whoop Whoop
Alice Chandler
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Perfect book for young readers as they are introduced to basic sentences and new vocabulary while remaining in their comfort zone. A book better suited for practising reading than challenging abilities.
Joy Alberti
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
A humorous story about the life of a wombat told from the perspective of the animal. Students will enjoy the wombats interactions with the humans in the book as he trains them to become his pets.
Amy
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was adorable and funny. All of my children, ages ranging from preschool to teenager, were amused.
Robert
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Possibly the most enjoyable children's book for adults. I love the story and the illustrations.
Maria
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adorable and funny, a great picture book for young kids.
Miss Bookiverse
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Miss Bookiverse by: Muphyn
Shelves: st-mine, cr-animals
My wonderful sister gave it to me and I love it. The Wombat is so unbelievably cute and adorable. The story itself is funny and sweet.
Jackie
May 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children of all ages
Recommended to Jackie by: coworker
A co-worker handed me this book and said "You MUST read this", and I'm very glad she did. This book is sweet, charming, hilarious and very well illustrated.
Monica Edinger
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is lovely, lovely book. Read it aloud the first day of school and then followed it with a bit of Terry Denton's charming WOMBAT AND FOX: TALES OF THE CITY.
Quinny quinn
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
i loved this book, it is very funny na dlittle kids will love it and it has a (SPOILER ALERT I THINK)very sweet ending
Alan
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, science
I picked this up at Dymock's in the basement of the main store and had to have it. My children were too old for it, but so what. I gave it to friends, neighbors, my mother. Absolutely wonderful.
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is quite possibly my all time favorite picture book!
Molly
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Makes me giggle like a five-year-old every time. Everyone should read this book!
Yannick