Start by marking “Murder Solstice (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #3)” as Want to Read:
Murder Solstice (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #3)

Murder Solstice

(Inspector Torquil McKinnon #3)

No one gets out alive …

The Scottish Hebrides

A strange group of people have descended on the small island of West Uist. Camped out in the grounds of the Castle, they are preparing to celebrate the summer solstice.

Museum curator Finley McNab becomes suspicious of the cult-like group, and when he challenges them it seems his investigations could be deadly

Inspector Tor
Published April 26th 2018 by Sapere Books (first published September 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Solstice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Solstice

Matt
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
First and foremost, a large thank you to Keith Moray and Sapere Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

In continuing this unique series, Keith Moray leads the reader back to the Hebrides, where he recounts another Scottish police procedural/mystery full of local flavouring. When Dunshiffin Castle receives new inhabitants, West Uist is abuzz and not entirely for the right reasons. The Daisy Institute has made its presence k
Susan Wright
I found this a slow starter even though several bodies were discovered in the first few pages. That may just have been a result of not having read anything by this author before, as the pace definitely picked up as a read on.

Several interwoven threads and a host of possible suspects, with a few good red herrings thrown in meant that this story kept me guessing right to the very end.

Thoroughly enjoyable read, will definitely be looking out for other books in the West Uist series.
Jillian
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m very pleased to have discovered this series. The third one lived up to my expectations. Like the earlier two, this one manages to combine a strong sense of local landscape its characters worth engaging with, a puzzle or two and good writing.

It sent me off to find out more about the Hoolish Stones - a sign that the book had drawn me into its world.

I look forward to more!
Christine Douglass
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
have enjoyed all five books in this series. The characters are well drawn and consistent; the plots are interesting and the killers are not obvious. However, it is the sense of place that keeps drawing me back. Each time I pick up one of these novels it feels like returning to an inviting and familiar place--murders not withstanding. The magic of West Uist reminds me of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series--my favorite of all time. The setting is a reflection of the characters who are every ...more
Sherry
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A group of cult like people have taken over the castle, The Daisy Institute. It's headed by Logan Burns, a self acclaimed expert in reading the symbols on the stones found on West Uist. Also on hand is a dog fighting group and a team producing eggs laid by hens kept under deplorable conditions. Quite enough to start the bodies falling.
Also new to the island is Lorna Gilspoy, sent by Tonquil's nemesis, the always angry superintendent. Her job is to report back to him anything she finds that is ne
Susan
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dunshiffin Castle has been bought and made the headquaters of the Daisy Institute. Scholarly research group or a cult? But Finley McNab, museum curator, is suspicious. Inspector McKinnon are faced with investigating, some deaths, but are their suicide,accidents or murder.
Another enjoyable well-written read in this series. Also helped with having some very likeable and well-drawn characters
Diane L. Woodbury
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The series just gets better and better!

The characters make this series one of the best I've ever read, and in my many years I have done quite a bit of reading! The plots are also fascinating, and the setting makes all of it fit together very smoothly. I wish I had twenty more to read! Hint Mr. moray?
Susan Thompson
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
More Murders

More murders than Midsomer, the bodies are piling up, the Superintendent is not happy, Callum has a cub reporter to train and Torquil is in love. Enjoyable read onto number five in the series
Michelle Wilson
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished reading the first,three Torquil McKinnon mystery, great read, developing the characters well and lovingly. The mysteries are not so mysterious, but very entertaining. I’ll wait a bit to read Flotsam & Jetsam. Too much of West Uist might spoil it.
Kirk
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great read!

If you're a fan of good old fashion British crime stories, the you need to read the Inspector Torquil McKinnon mysteries. In the spirit of Agatha Christie, these books are so entertaining!
Catherine
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok I’m hooked!

I’ve just downloaded ‘Flotsam & Jetsam’ as now I want to know what happens next - needed to read the first couple of books before I committed to reading the series. Now I’m hooked! There goes another Sunday....
Gary Van Cott
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This book became more interesting as it progressed.
Patricia
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
Love the characters and the story!
Corinne
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-2018
A fun series of a light Scottish mystery set in the Hebrides of Scotland.
David Gilchrist
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the characters, the story I felt was a tad slow and finished with a rush.
Jill Stirling
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great island based mystery. Enjoyed the characters and the descriptions of the island of Uist.
Deborah Ross
merrin Sullivan
Jun 01, 2018
John Nissen
Jun 25, 2018

• Death to Pay (Detective Ian Wilson, #3)
  • Death Parts Us (DI Alec McKay, #2)
  • Last Resort (Bob Skinner, #25)
  • A Trace of Blood (DCI Tom Caton Manchester #6)
  • The Dead Don't Dance (Jungle Beat #3)
  • Greed (DI Scott Baker #1)
  • The Shrouded Path
  • Empty Nets and Promises
  • Blackwater (DI Nick Lowry, #1)
  • Red Red Wine (DI Angus Henderson, #5)
  • After He Died
  • Class Murder (DI Geraldine Steel, #10)
  • No Time to Cry (DC Constance Fairchild, #1)
  • Flesh and Blood: A History of My Family in Seven Maladies
  • The Photographer (Narey & Winter, #7)
  • The Helper (Callum Doyle, #2)
  • The Life and Rhymes of Benjamin Zephaniah: The Autobiography
Pen name of Keith Moray Souter, also writes as Keith Souter and Clay More.

Inspector Torquil McKinnon (5 books)
  • The Gathering Murders (Inspector Torquil McKinnon, #1)
  • Deathly Wind (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #2)
  • Flotsam and Jetsam (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #4)
  • Death in Transit (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #5)