Start by marking “Sheets” as Want to Read:
Sheets

Sheets

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  8,765 ratings  ·  1,598 reviews
Marjorie Glatt feels like a ghost. A practical thirteen year old in charge of the family laundry business, her daily routine features unforgiving customers, unbearable P.E. classes, and the fastidious Mr. Saubertuck who is committed to destroying everything she’s worked for.

Wendell is a ghost. A boy who lost his life much too young, his daily routine features ineffective
Published August 28th 2018 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Sheets, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Goodreads is not an online reading website nor is it a fileshare website. Go to your library, buy it online or in your actual bookshop.…moreGoodreads is not an online reading website nor is it a fileshare website. Go to your library, buy it online or in your actual bookshop. (less)

·  8,765 ratings  ·  1,598 reviews

Start your review of Sheets
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
It has been a long time since I've read a graphic novel where I left it FEELING something. Don't get me wrong, I love graphic novels and I think they're so fun, but few really have left an emotional impact on me. I'm leaving this one, feeling the mark of that impact. (or should I say "stain", since our main character works at a laundromat?) I loved this story to pieces. I'll admit that I felt emotionally drained by it, because our main character is dragged through life. From the loss of her ...more
Ariel
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*NEW FAVOURITE ALERT* If I can encourage you to pick up a book right now, please let it be this one. I'm still swimming in the illustrations, they were so unbelievably beautiful. I'm sort of considering buying a second copy so that I can cut out some of my favourite pages to hang them in my room? Is that crazy? IT'S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL. But so was the story! The characters! Marjorie and Wendell have my heart! I'm so darn glad that there is a sequel coming because I need more of this world <3
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

In Sheets we follow Wendell, a ghost wearing a sheet, and Marjorie, a young girl running her family's laundromat. At first, we jump between their two stories but eventually, they weave together. This is such a sweet read, both heartbreaking and heartwarming. I absolutely love the colour palette - the illustrations are truly stunning!

I did find the pacing to be a little off. The start is slow, but I actually really liked this. I enjoyed getting to know Marjorie, and seeing how
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this book soooo much! I added to my favorites! It just had a homey feel to it. I can't explain it! And the graphics are wonderful! And ghosts!! Grief, trying to find yourself, family. Just wonderful!

Mel
Nat
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, graphic-novels

Local Friendly Ghosts, Grief, and Solitude

Sheets 2-- bookspoils
Sheets illustrates the determination of a young girl to fight, even when all parts of her world seem to be conspiring against her. It proves that second chances are possible whether life feels over or life is over. But above all, it is a story of the forgiveness and unlikely friendship that can only transpire inside a haunted laundromat.

This book is alsoquite a looker; I only wish that the storyline would've managed to stir me just as much as the
Kayla Dawn
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5* - The ending felt a little rushed but overall I enjoyed this quite a lot! :)
Julie
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
Brenna Thummler illustrated the fabulous, wonderful, I can't-say-enough-good-things-about-it Anne of Green Gables a graphic novel, so when I saw she was flying solo on her own debut graphic novel, I didn't hesitate to pre-order a copy and pay the full price for it.

When it arrived, my 10-year-old (who is our resident artist), couldn't wait to get her hands on it, but I wasn't sure she was the target age, so I retreated to my room to read it.

I came out of the room, finished, with the book in my
Book Soul9
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book we have here! I read this book in one sitting and it absolutely blew me away. This is such a moving story about the girl, Marjorie, who spends most of her time doing the family laundary business. Alone in that world, she feels invisible. People treat her so bad and they have no understanding for her. Mar J is that type of girl who will forgive you anything in order to live her life peacefully.

Once you're dead,
you're dead.
You can't over-die.

Even though people treat her so bad,
Lola
I honestly don’t understand why this graphic novel has such low ratings on Goodreads. It’s not the best book I’ve ever read, but normally there’s something really wrong with a book to get so many one and two stars.

I don’t often question an average rating, because we’re all different and are entitled to our own opinions, but I’m just a little taken aback by the lack of love for this story, you see?

Especially since, personally, I thought it was adorable. I read this author’s previous work, Anne
Carol
SOLD! The ghostly book cover....the inside front and back covers....the detailed soft colored illustrations....just wonderful!

The memories are bittersweet....the laundry never-ending....or is it!

Poor Marjorie....so much to do. Trying to survive middle school with no friends and run the family laundry with no help while dad mourns is such a heavy burden to bear; and that coupled with an evil minded villain and mischievous young ghost bring anguish to Marjorie's face in many of the meaningful

[Shai] Bibliophage
The story of Marjorie Glatt and Wendell in this graphic novel is quite entertaining to read. While reading this, Wendell reminds me of the famous Casper not only because they are both young ghosts but also for their personality and the way they try to help as much as they can. However, I was torn on the rating between 4 and 5 stars; I am hoping that there would be a second volume because I like how there was a panel that shows that Marjorie and Wendell might have met already when he was still ...more
Calista
Such an interesting new kind of story. There aren't too many stories set in a Laundromat and it sets up the tone very well. Down trodden and an endless cycle. There is a creepy weird dude named Mr. Saubertuck who is trying to take advantage of the family who owns the Laundromat. He wants to build a spa and take over the building and have a yoga studio. He puts pressure on Marjorie, the lead teen of the piece. He wants them to work for him and live in the studio.

I've never seen an evil yoga
Hilary
This is an unusual idea for a story, a 13 yr old girl runs a laundrette, her mother has recently died and her father appears to be housebound by his depression. The other storyline involve the ghosts that inhabit the town where Marjory lives and how she comes into contact with one who helps her turn her life around. Full of interesting characters you might meet in everyday life, the mean girls, the kind teacher, the annoying younger brother, the unusual yoga teacher, and the characters you might ...more
David Schaafsma
I read this because I was looking over the shoulder of someone else in this house reading it and recognized the drawing style and distinctive coloring of Brenna Thummler, whose illustration work I liked very much on her and Mariah Marsden's adaptation of Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables. This is Thummler's solo effort, featuring Wendell the friendly ghost (cue Casper meme here) and other ghosts, all wearing sheets.

Marjorie Glatt's mother died; she's thirteen and now pretty much in
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー

It's 1998 in Marjorie's world and the feels are no less in 2018.

"Mom opened glatt's Laundry when she was only nineteen. Bath then, it was "Dellaway Laundry", which is loads better. But then she met Dad and lost the ability to make rational decisions."...She died the past spring, and then Dad sort of did, too. He's still 100% opaque but slightly less visible."

This is the story of a girl, Marjorie. Not just any girl; a girl who feels out of place and invisible to the world. And she loves books and
Amy Imogene Reads
Why does this have such a low Goodreads rating?

This was a gorgeously illustrated and poignant tale of grief and slice of life, with the perfect dash of ghostly asides. I loved it, and would have rated it a full 5 stars if the ending hadn’t been so rushed.

Artwork:
Concept:
Pacing: 1/2

Sheets was brought to my attention by the lovely Ariel Bissett, who reads such an eclectic mix of books that I've been a YouTube subscriber to her content for years. I feel like giving her a shout out for bringing
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
That cover is deceptively cute. I went into this graphic novel knowing almost nothing about it, and didn't realize it would be so sad! My heart hurts for Marj, and her little brother, and Wendell. I know Marj's dad is grieving, but what the heck, I spent 99% of the book wanting to punch him in the face and make him get his act together! No kid should have to go through what Marjorie goes through. :(

Overall, I enjoyed this story up until the last 20-30 pages, when everything suddenly became very
Caroline
***NO SPOILERS***

A cute ghost and grieving girl meet in this unusual middle-grade graphic novel whose solemn tone and subject matter may be appreciated more by adults than by tweens. Sheets tells of Marjorie Glatt, a thirteen-year-old girl whose mother recently died. With a father so crippled by depression that he’s mostly confined to his bedroom, Marjorie must run the family’s laundromat, in addition to attending school and caring for her father and five-year-old brother.

The devastation and
Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Sheets by Brenna Thummler is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary.
I found the first part of the book a bit slow but it did pick up when there was more interaction with the ghost. I felt for the girl and the ghost but I wasn't too invested in them. I found the flirting scene near the end out of place. It was an okay read.
I really loved the art work! Very nice! Wonderful colors and could almost tell the story without words!
Sara
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This didn't work for me as a YA graphic novel or a juvenile graphic novel.

Protagonist Marjorie Glatt (dear lord that name) is a middle schooler who's horrible father has left her as the sole person in charge of her beloved dead mother's laundromat. That's right, a child has been put in charge of running the family business because dad is too sad to come out of his room and take any responsibility at all for his children. She also has a very young brother who seems to be in kindergarten and is
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

*Disclaimer: A copy of Sheets by Brenna Thummler was provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion in any way.

Initial post reading thoughts:

Well, wasn't that adorable and heartbreaking and beautiful all at once.

What I Liked

The emotions. I could tell from the opening paragraph that this story was going to make me feel things. I knew it would be an emotional story and I definitely wasn’t wrong. It maybe wasn’t as hard hitting as
Kyriaki
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's difficult to list, in order, the things I hate. But I can say with no uncertainly that laudry and ghosts are currently tied for first.
Laundry because It's so much real.
Ghosts because they're not.

Ήθελα απλά κάτι μικρό και γλυκούλι και βρήκα αυτό....και ήταν όντως μικρό και γλυκούλι και cute!!

Schizanthus Nerd
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I was bowled over by Brenna Thummler’s illustrations in Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel so when I heard she had written her own graphic novel I was all in. I simply adore Brenna’s ability to capture an image and present it in a way that I want her to draw the entire world for me. Seriously, I can’t get enough. Her use of colour is absolutely gorgeous and she’s able to evoke the emotion of a scene through colour as well as the images. I enjoy finding Easter eggs so I loved that Anne of ...more
Mackenzie Lane
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

Can I live in Finster Bay? If I could illustrate my idea of a perfect town, I'd try to trace the pages of this graphic novel. The artwork is sublime, so textured & warm! I also love that the book is set in the late '90s, it gave everything a nostalgic flair I didn't know I'd love so much. :)

♛ Garima ♛
I loved this.

Following review is taken from here.

A really sweet, middle-grade story of a young girl, Marjorie, just trying to get over her mother's death and figure out her place in the world. But it also has ghosts.

The cool thing about these ghosts is that they wear sheets. You can't see them without the sheets and Marjorie just happens to run a laundromat.

The story is okay but graphics! Like you have never seen before. I like this style....
Cyndi
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An adorable book with lovely art and a sweet story. A little girl is trying to keep her family together after the loss of her mom with the help of a special ghost.
Kate (GirlReading)
3.5* This was beyond adorable.
The interesting and unique artwork perfectly elevated the story and the muted pastel colour palette gave me major steven universe vibes, which I’m totally here for.

side note: I would do anything for wendell.
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

- The cutest little graphic novel that gives me major Steven Universe vibes with its color palette. The story is so adorable, as well.
Bruna Miranda
É tão bonitinhoooo! <3

**I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thank you NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors**

Sheets got my attention because of its cover, I'll admit. Inside, I found an adorable story about Marjorie, a girl who lost her mom recently and has to run the family's laundry business and take care of the house pretty much by herself. Also, we meet Wendell, who lives in the Land of Ghosts - the place where souls go after they die. He's in a support group for
Chad
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2018, 2018
Almost 2 completely separate stories until halfway through the book. One, a very boring story about a middle school girl, Marj, who has lost her mother and has to run her family's laundry service in addition to school. The other. a much more compelling story of a recently deceased boy who hasn't made any friends in the ghost town he was sent to and comes back to the town he's from. Eventually these stories overlap when a person in town tries to sabotage the laundry business.

This is a really
2019 Club of Books: Sheets (August Comic of the Month) 1 2 Jul 30, 2019 02:37PM

• Pumpkinheads
  • Stargazing
  • Guts
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • The Okay Witch
  • Fake Blood
  • Making Friends (Making Friends, #1)
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Book Love
  • Bloom
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Breakaways
  • Click
  • Be Prepared
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • Crush (Berrybrook Middle School, #3)
Brenna Thummler grew up in northwestern Pennsylvania, where she developed a great love for nature trails, peanut butter, and, above all, drawing. A graduate of Ringling College of Art and Design, she was named the Society of Illustrators Zankel Scholar during her junior year. Since graduation, she has done editorial and advertising work for such clients as the New York Times, the Washington Post, ...more
“patience is the thread of healing.” 3 likes