Start by marking “The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

For more than twenty years, Barefoot Contessa, the acclaimed specialty food store, has been cooking and baking extraordinary dishes for enthusiastic customers in the Hamptons. For many of those years, people have tried to get the exuberant owner, Ina Garten, to share the secrets of her store. Finally, the energy and style that make Barefoot Contessa such a special place ar ...more
Published April 6th 1999 by Clarkson Potter

Start your review of The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Jean
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love a simple well-tested cookbook. Preparations had the right amount of details and shortcuts where appropriate. Ina knows how to take care of her home cooks.

Here are the dishes I've tasted and the cookbook club cooks who made them:

Sheela - Lobster Salad in Endive: You can't go wrong with quality lobster. No leftovers with this one.

Molly - Rosemary White Bean Soup: Pureed and delicous. Really an amazing soup and surprisingly right for a summer's evening.

Gretchen - Grilled Tuna Nicoise Platte
Colleen Chi-Girl
Sep 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2000-2017
I thought I'd write a quick review that I apparently missed writing when I first bought this gem of a cookbook. It was my go-to cookbook for the soups, side dishes, and desserts, which is what I enjoy making. But I remember her maple scones the most and the corn chowder. Since this first cookbook, she has published many others that might be even better!

My two favorite recipes remain: her brownie recipe (!) and her Lemon Bars w/a shortbread crust (!!).
Reen
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Ina!
Holly
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The recipes in this book turn out perfectly EVERY time and I've made over half of them. Buy it. ...more
Holly
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbook, 2008-reads
Listen, the woman knows her way around the kitchen and she's not afraid of a stick of butter, which I like in a chef.

Paula Deen doesn't skimp on the butter either, but usually whatever she is cooking ends up getting deep fried and then used as a delivery system for some kind of mayonnaise product too -- and I just can't hang with that.

Whereas Ina will definitely butter you up, she at least has the common decency throw on some fresh herbs and add some roasted vegetables so even your cholestero
Amanda
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
During a particularly challenging time in my life, I found and fell in love with Ina. Many of her recipes are staples in my cooking repertoire, and I have yet to find a Barefoot Contessa cookbook that I don't thoroughly enjoy. Great for ANY kitchen and cook!!! ...more
Sandi
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a few confessions to make. I love cooking. I love baking. I love discovering new recipes. I love cookbooks. Perhaps the most surprising confession? I rarely will buy a cookbook.

I borrow many (many) cookbooks from the library, finding a recipe here, a recipe there. However, very few cookbooks engage me enough to want to own the book forever and try the majority of recipes between its covers.

Family, friends and colleagues regularly share recipes with me, which I love. Sometimes I use good o
Bandkh
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Everything I've made from it has worked. The dishes are accessible if a bit old fashioned, but don't let the "old fashioned" comment put you off. By "old fashioned" I mean comfort food, probably too high in calories to eat every night but delicious none the less. This lady knows her stuff and her recipe writing style is friendly and chatty. As for the recipes themselves, her Cheddar Corn Chowder has warmed us on many a cold night, her Roasted Brussels Sprouts finally convinced ...more
Kate
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I like to read a cookbook cover to cover and tab all of the recipes that inspire me. This one ended up with a lot of tabs. I love our collective aunt Ina’s approach: imbuing a few fresh ingredients with interesting texture/flavor combinations that I wouldn’t necessarily have thought of myself.
Feb 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I’d long wanted my own copy of this well-known and much-lauded cookbook. Reading it cover to cover did not disappoint one bit. I am already eager to try several of the recipes, with a few adjustments and clever twists from Ina’s more recent cooking shows. I don’t collect cookbooks as a rule, but this was one I’d heard was fun to read and had beautiful pictures. All true, and will be a resource I keep close at-hand in my kitchen for every season.
Robin
Jan 31, 2021 rated it liked it
Gotta love the Contessa! Simple, accessible ingredients, delicious food -- full of the love of feeding loved people.
Jan Hewitt
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Still go back to this one, the coconut cupcakes are the best!
Melani
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-and-crafts
This one is a great one. The cheddar corn chowder is A+++ delicious and I make it quite often. I have opened this book many times, sometimes just to look at the pictures and sometimes because I actually want to cook something from it. It's a well loved, and well used book in my collection.

My one complaint about this book is the amount of food the recipes make. I frequently halve them and have more then enough for four people, and since it's just me I always have a ton of leftovers. I think the a
Allison
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Ina Garten's cookbooks do everything you need. If I didn't have any technique in the kitchen and had to pick a cookbook to last forever (or in this case, a series) it would be hers. Rich, lovely recipes that are very approachable. Beginners can follow along; experts can take some of her suggestions and run with them. I almost always get rave reviews for anything I make from these books and I have made or eaten a large portion of them. It is very hard to find cookbooks that can provide you recipe ...more
Susan Ciliberti
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cmt, cookbooks
I found many recipes that were upscale versions of basic traditional foods - such as French Potato Salad and Grilled Lemon Chicken with Satay Dip. Many interesting options and they are not overly difficult. One of my favorite sections was the breakfast muffins and scones. I am looking forward to making several of these recipes. There are many photos which make the dishes even more tempting to make - like the Fresh Fruit Tart. I enjoyed this cookbook very much.
Sharon Huether
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook By Ina Garten This is a beautifully illustrated cookbook. The colored pictures have really helped my in food presentation. I continue to make the home made granola receipe, it's very good. I've watched Ina on the cooking channel, so having her cookbook is fun. ...more
Anna
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I cook 3 meals a day for my family, and I love the Barefoot Contessa Cookbooks. She's got great advice on preparing things ahead of time, how to cook for a larger group, and putting together a complete meal. Her recipes are best for people who are already pretty comfortable in the kitchen, and the baking is less reliable than the savory foods, but every one of her cookbooks is worth having.

Sungyena
Sep 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021
Ina Garten is the most comforting and the perfect source of kitchen coddling that I need in 2021. “We are all taught to dress with an interesting assortment of textures - a silk blouse with a wool skirt and chenille sweater, for example. I think of mixing vegetables with the same eye for color and texture.” For a 22yo book, still holds up!
Brooke
Feb 22, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Tried another Ina book thinking her original would be better, but still felt very fancy. Good ideas for a dinner party but not for working parents trying to get dinner in the table.

Made the Rosemary Cannelli Bean soup but was accidentally a Thyme Great Northern Bean soup. The tomato basil soup is a favorite when I can find basil.
Laurie Walker
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Eveything I have tried from this book is delicious ... smoked salmon tea sandwiches, gazpacho, even roasted carrots ... who knew? Tonight I am making the lime curd tart. I had borrowed this book from the library so many times that my librarian suggested it was time to buy my own copy. Glad I did.
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This is by far my favorite cookbook. The pages are stuck together I use it so much. Curried coucous? Yes, please!
False
Jul 15, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-drink
I've been casually re-reading Ina Garten's cookbooks. I had read this one a few times in the past, starting when it was first published. It's rather amazing, looking back, at her first efforts. It was interesting to read her biographical sections tucked into the book. Her husband, a former investment banker, bought her the Barefoot Contessa shop on Long Island as a "whim," never thinking they'd get it. But you need some capital to start, don't you? I think he's head of the Yale Law School now. S ...more
Shannon
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here’s my verdict on The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten.

To Read: Yes. It’s well-written with some stories about Garten’s personal life and great cooking tips. There is also a foreward by Martha Stewart that you won’t want to skip over.

To Look At: Yes. There are beautiful photos of each recipe, which I think is standard for all of Ina Garten’s cookbooks.

To Cook From: Yes. I haven’t made a lot of recipes from this cookbook, but I have made plenty of Barefoot Contessa recipes. They are al
Melissa Levy
Apr 13, 2022 rated it really liked it
I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 wo ...more
Carrie
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fairly standard cookbook. Lots of basic recipes with extra touches to make them a little more exciting. For example, I would have never have thought to put expresso or hot coffee powder in my hot chocolate. I still won't as I don't care for coffee or coffee flavored beverages but some might. I'm excited to try a few recipes from this book (chocolate buttercream cake...drool). Lots of great pictures although some of them had too much focus on the background and you couldn't see the food ...more
Linda Hartlaub
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is, I believe, Ina Garten's first cookbook and is basically the recipes from her store. There are very few stories, photos are passable and some are less than a sixth of a page. This is before Ms. Garten came into her own as a writer, and before she let her personality shine through. What is so wonderful about her ocokbooks is the joy she brings. This book doesn't have it. I'm glad she kept at it, though. It shows how much an author, even a cookbook author, can grow through their career. ...more
Danielle Booey
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks, nonfiction
While I love Ina you can definitely tell this is her first cookbook. The typeset and font are not as friendly as most of her other cookbooks and there aren't quite as many fabulous pictures of the food.

Lots of recipes here for cooking pretty basic things. But I am rather excited to try her tea sandwich recipes!
Karyn
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cover to cover

This is the first time I have ever sat down and read a Cookbook cover to cover. I am shocked at how much I enjoyed reading this. I learned a few new tips to use in my kitchen. I have already cooked 2 of the recipes and they were both outstanding. Lobster pie and coconut cupcakes (I made it into a bunt cake) 🍰. Delicious 😋.
Sarah Bedwell
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that everything you make from this cookbook tastes so good. Not always the healthiest, but sometimes you just want really satisfying food. The lime tart and sundried tomato dip are particular favorites for entertaining.

• Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier
  • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
  • The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
  • Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
  • How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
  • Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat
  • Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
  • The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
  • Joy of Cooking
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
Ina Garten is a New York Times bestselling author and the host of Barefoot Contessa on Food Network, for which she has won four Emmy Awards and a James Beard Award. She lives in East Hampton, New York, with her husband, Jeffrey.

News & Interviews

“Food is about nurturing: not only physical but also emotional nurturing.” 9 likes
“I actually think that the food our mothers made may not be what we are nostalgic for. It’s more an emotional picture of a mother who was always there, knew what we needed, loved us, let us run free when we wanted to explore.” 5 likes