Start by marking “The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

For more than twenty years, Barefoot Contessa, the acclaimed specialty food store, has been cooking and baking extraordinary dishes for enthusiastic customers in the Hamptons. For many of those years, people have tried to get the exuberant owner, Ina Garten, to share the secrets of her store. Finally, the energy and style that make Barefoot Contessa such a special place ar ...more
Published April 6th 1999 by Clarkson Potter

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,245 books — 1,125 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
936 books — 402 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Jean
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love a simple well-tested cookbook. Preparations had the right amount of details and shortcuts where appropriate. Ina knows how to take care of her home cooks.

Here are the dishes I've tasted and the cookbook club cooks who made them:

Sheela - Lobster Salad in Endive: You can't go wrong with quality lobster. No leftovers with this one.

Molly - Rosemary White Bean Soup: Pureed and delicous. Really an amazing soup and surprisingly right for a summer's evening.

Gretchen - Grilled Tuna Nicoise Platte
Reen
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Ina!
Holly
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The recipes in this book turn out perfectly EVERY time and I've made over half of them. Buy it.
Sandi Hall Henning
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a few confessions to make. I love cooking. I love baking. I love discovering new recipes. I love cookbooks. Perhaps the most surprising confession? I rarely will buy a cookbook.

I borrow many (many) cookbooks from the library, finding a recipe here, a recipe there. However, very few cookbooks engage me enough to want to own the book forever and try the majority of recipes between its covers.

Family, friends and colleagues regularly share recipes with me, which I love. Sometimes I use good o
Holly
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbook
Listen, the woman knows her way around the kitchen and she's not afraid of a stick of butter, which I like in a chef.

Paula Deen doesn't skimp on the butter either, but usually whatever she is cooking ends up getting deep fried and then used as a delivery system for some kind of mayonnaise product too -- and I just can't hang with that.

Whereas Ina will definitely butter you up, she at least has the common decency throw on some fresh herbs and add some roasted vegetables so even your cholestero
Jan Hewitt
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Still go back to this one, the coconut cupcakes are the best!
Melani
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-and-crafts
This one is a great one. The cheddar corn chowder is A+++ delicious and I make it quite often. I have opened this book many times, sometimes just to look at the pictures and sometimes because I actually want to cook something from it. It's a well loved, and well used book in my collection.

My one complaint about this book is the amount of food the recipes make. I frequently halve them and have more then enough for four people, and since it's just me I always have a ton of leftovers. I think the a
Allison
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Food lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
Ina Garten's cookbooks do everything you need. If I didn't have any technique in the kitchen and had to pick a cookbook to last forever (or in this case, a series) it would be hers. Rich, lovely recipes that are very approachable. Beginners can follow along; experts can take some of her suggestions and run with them. I almost always get rave reviews for anything I make from these books and I have made or eaten a large portion of them. It is very hard to find cookbooks that can provide you recipe ...more
Bandkh
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Everything I've made from it has worked. The dishes are accessible if a bit old fashioned, but don't let the "old fashioned" comment put you off. By "old fashioned" I mean comfort food, probably too high in calories to eat every night but delicious none the less. This lady knows her stuff and her recipe writing style is friendly and chatty. As for the recipes themselves, her Cheddar Corn Chowder has warmed us on many a cold night, her Roasted Brussels Sprouts finally convinced ...more
Anna
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I cook 3 meals a day for my family, and I love the Barefoot Contessa Cookbooks. She's got great advice on preparing things ahead of time, how to cook for a larger group, and putting together a complete meal. Her recipes are best for people who are already pretty comfortable in the kitchen, and the baking is less reliable than the savory foods, but every one of her cookbooks is worth having.

Sharon Huether
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook By Ina Garten This is a beautifully illustrated cookbook. The colored pictures have really helped my in food presentation. I continue to make the home made granola receipe, it's very good. I've watched Ina on the cooking channel, so having her cookbook is fun.
Amanda
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
During a particularly challenging time in my life, I found and fell in love with Ina. Many of her recipes are staples in my cooking repertoire, and I have yet to find a Barefoot Contessa cookbook that I don't thoroughly enjoy. Great for ANY kitchen and cook!!!
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This is by far my favorite cookbook. The pages are stuck together I use it so much. Curried coucous? Yes, please!
Shannon
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here’s my verdict on The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten.

To Read: Yes. It’s well-written with some stories about Garten’s personal life and great cooking tips. There is also a foreward by Martha Stewart that you won’t want to skip over.

To Look At: Yes. There are beautiful photos of each recipe, which I think is standard for all of Ina Garten’s cookbooks.

To Cook From: Yes. I haven’t made a lot of recipes from this cookbook, but I have made plenty of Barefoot Contessa recipes. They are al
Danielle Booey
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbooks
While I love Ina you can definitely tell this is her first cookbook. The typeset and font are not as friendly as most of her other cookbooks and there aren't quite as many fabulous pictures of the food.

Lots of recipes here for cooking pretty basic things. But I am rather excited to try her tea sandwich recipes!
Mabel
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing! I love the little tidbits of advice and the whys of how it is. Good solid pictures with all the recipes and easy to follow instructions. Might be for cooks that have a reasonable know how around the kitchen already.
Lauren Barroso
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful cookbook, recipes that are easy to follow and no extra words that can complicate a beginner. Helpful tips on where to buy hard to find ingredients. The lentil soup recipe in this cookbook is one of my favorites. This is a well rounded cookbook with recipes that can please every guest.
Sarah Bedwell
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that everything you make from this cookbook tastes so good. Not always the healthiest, but sometimes you just want really satisfying food. The lime tart and sundried tomato dip are particular favorites for entertaining.
Matthew
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love how Ina makes seemingly daunting recipes approachable to novice cooks and bakers. Giving it a 4, instead of 5 star rating, because there still are some recipes that I can see myself never having a reason to make.
Suzanne
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
about what I expected with a few good keeper type recipes...many old traditional ones that I have used in the past from her or others.
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

- Ms. Jenn
Sohel
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Ann Addie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook by Ina Garten was great. I got quite a few great recipes. I will be making some great food for my boyfriend bryann and I
Jen
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Can't wait to try some new recipes!
Stephanie Addie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ina garten is a great cook and I got a few awesome recipes from her cookbook.
Mary Medinas
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ina never disappoints! Her recipes are always tasteful and there is something for everyones pallet in her cooking! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
Lydie
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
À Must/ Staple to every home!
Oralia Christine
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoy Ina’s style of cooking. Rarely do I have to tweak a recipe. It’s always fun to browse through and be inspired.
Claire
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
I haven't made anything out of this cookbook yet, but I like her style and I'm looking forward to trying some. I thought it was a well put together cookbook and the recipes look simple but yummy. 4/5 stars.
Andrea
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished it for the same week and i really enjoyed it. I loved how at first the story lines didn't seem to have anything to do with each other but slowly details were revealed to show how they are all connected.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
  • How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier
  • The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution
  • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
  • Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
  • Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
  • Rebel Chef: In Search of What Matters
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
  • Jerusalem: A Cookbook
  • Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary