Start by marking “The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

For more than twenty years, Barefoot Contessa, the acclaimed specialty food store, has been cooking and baking extraordinary dishes for enthusiastic customers in the Hamptons. For many of those years, people have tried to get the exuberant owner, Ina Garten, to share the secrets of her store. Finally, the energy and style that make Barefoot Contessa such a special place ar ...more
Published April 6th 1999 by Clarkson Potter

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,185 books — 1,089 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
962 books — 398 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Jean
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love a simple well-tested cookbook. Preparations had the right amount of details and shortcuts where appropriate. Ina knows how to take care of her home cooks.

Here are the dishes I've tasted and the cookbook club cooks who made them:

Sheela - Lobster Salad in Endive: You can't go wrong with quality lobster. No leftovers with this one.

Molly - Rosemary White Bean Soup: Pureed and delicous. Really an amazing soup and surprisingly right for a summer's evening.
Reen
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Ina!
Holly
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The recipes in this book turn out perfectly EVERY time and I've made over half of them. Buy it.
Holly
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbook
Listen, the woman knows her way around the kitchen and she's not afraid of a stick of butter, which I like in a chef.

Paula Deen doesn't skimp on the butter either, but usually whatever she is cooking ends up getting deep fried and then used as a delivery system for some kind of mayonnaise product too -- and I just can't hang with that.

Whereas Ina will definitely butter you up, she at least has the common decency throw on some fresh herbs and add some roasted vegetables so even your cholestero
Sandi Hall Henning
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a few confessions to make. I love cooking. I love baking. I love discovering new recipes. I love cookbooks. Perhaps the most surprising confession? I rarely will buy a cookbook.

I borrow many (many) cookbooks from the library, finding a recipe here, a recipe there. However, very few cookbooks engage me enough to want to own the book forever and try the majority of recipes between its covers.

Family, friends and colleagues regularly share recipes with me, which I love
Melani
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-and-crafts
This one is a great one. The cheddar corn chowder is A+++ delicious and I make it quite often. I have opened this book many times, sometimes just to look at the pictures and sometimes because I actually want to cook something from it. It's a well loved, and well used book in my collection.

My one complaint about this book is the amount of food the recipes make. I frequently halve them and have more then enough for four people, and since it's just me I always have a ton of leftovers. I
Allison
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Food lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
Ina Garten's cookbooks do everything you need. If I didn't have any technique in the kitchen and had to pick a cookbook to last forever (or in this case, a series) it would be hers. Rich, lovely recipes that are very approachable. Beginners can follow along; experts can take some of her suggestions and run with them. I almost always get rave reviews for anything I make from these books and I have made or eaten a large portion of them. It is very hard to find cookbooks that can provide you recipe ...more
Anna
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I cook 3 meals a day for my family, and I love the Barefoot Contessa Cookbooks. She's got great advice on preparing things ahead of time, how to cook for a larger group, and putting together a complete meal. Her recipes are best for people who are already pretty comfortable in the kitchen, and the baking is less reliable than the savory foods, but every one of her cookbooks is worth having.

Amanda
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
During a particularly challenging time in my life, I found and fell in love with Ina. Many of her recipes are staples in my cooking repertoire, and I have yet to find a Barefoot Contessa cookbook that I don't thoroughly enjoy. Great for ANY kitchen and cook!!!
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This is by far my favorite cookbook. The pages are stuck together I use it so much. Curried coucous? Yes, please!
Shannon
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here’s my verdict on The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten.

To Read: Yes. It’s well-written with some stories about Garten’s personal life and great cooking tips. There is also a foreward by Martha Stewart that you won’t want to skip over.

To Look At: Yes. There are beautiful photos of each recipe, which I think is standard for all of Ina Garten’s cookbooks.

To Cook From: Yes. I haven’t made a lot of recipes from this cookbook, but I have made plenty of Ba
Lauren Barroso
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful cookbook, recipes that are easy to follow and no extra words that can complicate a beginner. Helpful tips on where to buy hard to find ingredients. The lentil soup recipe in this cookbook is one of my favorites. This is a well rounded cookbook with recipes that can please every guest.
Mabel
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing! I love the little tidbits of advice and the whys of how it is. Good solid pictures with all the recipes and easy to follow instructions. Might be for cooks that have a reasonable know how around the kitchen already.
Sarah Bedwell
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that everything you make from this cookbook tastes so good. Not always the healthiest, but sometimes you just want really satisfying food. The lime tart and sundried tomato dip are particular favorites for entertaining.
Stephanie Ann Addie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook by Ina Garten was great. I got quite a few great recipes. I will be making some great food for my boyfriend bryann and I
Sohel
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suzanne
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
about what I expected with a few good keeper type recipes...many old traditional ones that I have used in the past from her or others.
Stephanie Addie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ina garten is a great cook and I got a few awesome recipes from her cookbook.
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

- Ms. Jenn
Jen
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Can't wait to try some new recipes!
Andrea
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished it for the same week and i really enjoyed it. I loved how at first the story lines didn't seem to have anything to do with each other but slowly details were revealed to show how they are all connected.
Kym
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Here's why I like Ina Garten's recipes. They are simple but use the highest quality ingredients she can find. Here's what's happened to cooks in America. They are simply assembling the cheapest "edible" ingredients. I know. Not everyone. I love the Garten is clear about exactly which ingredients make her dishes so good. There is nothing overly fussing here.

This cookbook was published in 1999. That may make it seem dated, but it also gives a lovely familiarity to the recipes. They are accompanie
Hazel
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had plans to see Ina Garten speak in Wilmington but had none of her books! I requested and received this for Christmas. It's a lovely cookbook; the recipes are all enticing, simple, and straightforward. Most of all, her personality shines through--she's gracious and down to earth. In all of her recipes, she is very aware of her audience--the home cook and entertainer, not the chef or caterer. I was pleased to see how her philosophy echoes mine--the first time you try a recipe, you follow it EX ...more
Dee
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I just got this lovely book for Christmas. It does not have a million recipes like some other cookbooks. But what it does have is a nice collection of classics and favorites, most with excellent illustrations, organized by food type (i.e. main dish, dessert, appetizer). I am not talented in the "food presentation" area (After all, I created the "Paul Potts Pork Roast"), but Ina makes some simple and easy suggestions on making your food look good without sacrificing anything in taste. This would ...more
Bandkh
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Everything I've made from it has worked. The dishes are accessible if a bit old fashioned, but don't let the "old fashioned" comment put you off. By "old fashioned" I mean comfort food, probably too high in calories to eat every night but delicious none the less. This lady knows her stuff and her recipe writing style is friendly and chatty. As for the recipes themselves, her Cheddar Corn Chowder has warmed us on many a cold night, her Roasted Brussels Sprouts finally convinced ...more
Sarah Clapp
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
ok yes i'm counting this in my reading! i'm behind in my reading challenge and i technically read this thing cover to cover!
i learned so much--how to make a tasteful vegetable plate, how Sunday lunch is a wonderful opportunity to entertain, how using both oil and butter to cook is the way to go. thank you ina, you culinary goddess who keeps reminding readers that they can get speciality items by "mail order" in her pre-Internet world and had the confidence to name drop Steven Spielberg and
Valerie
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This is my favorite of all the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. Favorite recipes that I've come back to repeatedly are the kitchen clambake (layers of sautéed leeks, potatoes, kielbasa and various seafood cooked indoors in a pot) and fresh lemonade (1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/2 - 3/4 cup superfine sugar {to taste}, 1 cup crushed ice and 4 cups water - combine all in a blender).

I love the simplicity of her recipes and the lack of fussiness. I get most of my cookbooks from the library,
Nicole
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
When I first got this cookbook I took it to bed and drooled over the recipes. When I started actually making ina garten recipes, people were tricked into thinking i was a really fabulous cook. So...if she can do it for me, she can transform fresh, healthy (well, except for the butter) whole foods, vegetables and fruits into amazing food. Friends and family are always clammoring for the recipes after trying creations I make out of this book...and i do give the credit all to the barefoot contessa.
Julie H.
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook-cooking
As with all of the Ina Garten recipes I've encountered to date, which is quite a few, these are all very straightforward, emphasize fresh foods, and are extremely yummy. After signing this out from my public library, I promptly tabbed a bunch of pages and made six or seven of the recipes. Each was great, and I decided it was officially a "keeper." That is not to say that I wouldn't be returning the library copy; instead, I purchased my own copy just recently.
Kristen
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
I love the Barefoot Contessa (Have you ever seen her TV show? She's reminds me of the guy who used to paint on PBS - very mellow and soothing). I'm not the cook (rather the baker) in our house, but I love this cookbook. Her recipes are homey, easy and delicious. Surprise, I love the bread pudding make with croissants. Hoping for another of her cookbooks this Christmas!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • Mexico One Plate At A Time
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • Forever Summer
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culina
“Food is about nurturing: not only physical but also emotional nurturing.” 3 likes
“I actually think that the food our mothers made may not be what we are nostalgic for. It’s more an emotional picture of a mother who was always there, knew what we needed, loved us, let us run free when we wanted to explore.” 2 likes