Start by marking “Man Out of Time” as Want to Read:
Man Out of Time

Man Out of Time

From the award-winning and critically acclaimed author of The Other Side of the World comes a brilliant and provocative new novel about inheritance and self-destruction.

When Stella's father, Leon, disappears in September 2001, the police knock at her door. She baulks at their questions, not sure how to answer. 'What if I just write it down for you.'

One summer, a long t
Paperback
Published August 28th 2018 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about Man Out of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man Out of Time

Michael Livingston
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant, slippery novel about family, madness, depression and shame. Hard to describe, but impossible not to be moved by.
Jaclyn Crupi
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bishop's prose in this novel is luminous. Her management of point of view shifts and the layers and loops of memories and plot points is breathtaking. It's an accomplished novel that is quite a technical achievement. Her grasp on these aspects of the novel add so much to the story of a man's spiral into mental illness and the reverberations of that descent on his wife and daughter.
Robert Lukins
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and heartbreaking; time, memory and love all blown apart.
Cass Moriarty
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Bishop’s new novel Man Out of Time (Hachette Australia Books 2018) was nothing I expected. This extraordinary portrait of a man and his descent into madness, and the deterioration of his relationships with those around him, is presented in beautiful language that reads like a meditation on life, love and loss. This is literary writing at its finest. The plot is there but is so subtly incorporated into the portrayal of the characters and the existential musings, that it seems to occur a ...more
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had to think on this book for a while before I wrote this as it is very much a multi-layered book. There is the plot, the things that happen. However these things are not as important as the way the characters perceive them and feel about them; Bishop's writing is such that you get a front row seat into this. It is not like you are at the movie watching events unfold. You are within the character and feeling it unfold, getting an idea of what it feels like within. It is much more of an intense ...more
Jan Finkelstein
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
It was reasonable but not that easy to read.
Caren
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished this novel breathless, aware that I'd read something brilliant but needing to reread it so as to make more sense and order out of the controlled disorder that Bishop created. The reader enters into the minds of each member of this damaged family - particularly of Leon, the depressed and often unhinged father, and Stella, his melancholy daughter. Their relationship is the prime focus of the text. Having read an interview with Bishop just minutes after I'd finished the novel, it's clear ...more
Julia Quine
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has sat with me for many days since finishing it. In the simplest of terms, the story is about a man’s struggle with mental illness; France’s struggle with her husband’s mental illness; Stella’s struggle with her father’s mental illness. Leon, Frances and Stella all facing it together, but apart. Eventually, Leon goes missing, and Stella must reflect on the past and the incidents that sparked his descent further and further into his own mind.

As you sit and truly absorb the story howeve
Jessica M
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it

Man Out of Time is Stephanie Bishop’s third novel, a moving tale of inheritance and self-destruction.

The ‘man out of time’ is Stella’s father. He’s mentally unstable and his health deteriorates as Stella grows older. He is sectioned in a psychiatric hospital, and Stephanie uses flashbacks to show the reader how Leon’s battles with mental illness effect not only him but Stella and his wife Frances. In present-day, Frances and Stella work to locate Leon. He’s been missing
Catherine James
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Apologies to the author but I hated this book. Hated the characters, felt uncomfortable throughout the majority of the story. Thought it was going to be a thriller and was disappointed.
Angela Elizabeth
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-titles
Stephanie Bishop's long-awaited third novel, Man Out of Time, is ambitious and possibly brilliant but it may also frustrate many readers. All his life, Leon has struggled with mental illness. His wife Frances and daughter Stella know too well the nature and seriousness of his condition, so it comes as no surprise when they are informed by the police that he is missing. Set in the early days of September 2001, there is an eerie sense of impending doom that pervades the novel. Leon's voice is comp ...more
Kym Jackson
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Individual passages are beautifully written, and Man Out of Time is a convincing study of mental illness; but overall it falls flat. The whole is disjointed (partly by design) and fails to live up to, let alone exceed, the sum of its parts. Present and past aren’t meaningfully connected, and toward the end the incorporation of 9/11 into the narrative seems forced and unnatural. Some beautiful, moving, and funny passages—but overall: not recommended.
Joanne
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
This has just been longlisted for the #stellaprize (Australian female authors award) and is getting lots of buzz. But... I just didn’t get it. It was way too dreamy and vague for me, reality blended with dreams blended with psychosis and I couldn’t find my footing anywhere. There was no sense of place or time and the characters were like out of focus photos with no definition. Perhaps it was too clever or sophisticated for me?
Helen Taylor
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I felt it was on the cusp of something great but just didn’t quite make it there for me. Bishop’s writing is elegant and emotive, the story telling was not meant to be straight forward, I feel it was intentionally slightly confusing, imitating the thoughts of someone struggling with mental health issues, but unfortunately it felt a bit too disjointed to me.
Sylvia Davey
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a hard one to review.
It's complex and multi-layered, I loved Bishop's descriptions.
I will warn future readers that it is occasionally confusing - I do believe that confusion is very intentional and in some ways helps add to the story - I believe this organised chaos is there to help us understand, to a degree, her characters and there lives.
Richardsonb94
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed her second book The Other Side of the World, but I wasn’t that keen on Man Out of Time. I had unanswered questions and was left feeling confused. Perhaps this was done intentionally, but for me it was frustrating. I also couldn’t quite see the reasoning behind the 9/11 references? After reading so many wonderful reviews of the book, I might have to reread it....
Donna Phillips
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
A strangely disappointing read. There is a great undertone of a story that could have gone somewhere amazing but never does. Having said that it’s a good read on mental health. Disappointed that it felt unfinished in parts
Gayle Parker
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it

After reading Other Side of the World I eagerly started to read this but gave up after a disappointing 100 pages
I found it difficult to engage with the characters and the almost emotionally flattened writing style which I guess reflects on the subject matter
Kimberley Starr
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some beautiful lines and an uncanny seeming insight into mental illness. An intriguing use of photos in the text. 9/11 references seemed a puzzling choice.
Martin
Dec 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is my first by this author and I did not enjoy it at all. It was trite snd tedious...do I attempt another book by this author to give her the benefit of doubt...maybe!
Magpie
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lindsay Bookclub 2018
Lee
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Gorgeous writing and a great sense of tone and scene. But didn't go anywhere enough for me.
Lisa Dowdall
  • The Children's Bach
  • The Killing Season: Uncut
  • Silhouette
  • Fishing for Tigers
  • Shattered Sky (Border Watch #2)
  • Conditions of Faith
  • Small Acts of Disappearance
  • Into the World
  • The Art of the Engine Driver
  • The Mountain
  • Food, Sex and Money
  • Detours
Stephanie's first novel was The Singing, for which she was named one of the Sydney Morning Herald’s Best Young Australian Novelists. The Singing was also highly commended for the Kathleen Mitchell Award. Her second novel, The Other Side of the World is published by Hachette Australia, Tinder Press (Headline, UK), Atria (Simon & Schuster, US) and Fleuve Editions (France). It was named Literary ...more