Start by marking “The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary

The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary answers the urgent need for an easy-to-use kanji dictionary compact enough to be easily carried around, yet detailed enough to satisfy the practical needs of the beginning and intermediate learner.

Its basic goal is to give the learner a thorough understanding of kanji by providing instant access to a wealth of useful information on t
Published February 1st 2002 by Kodansha (first published October 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary

Bill Michaud
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Japanese Language Students
As a reference (not a primary learning source), this book is excellent.

Perhaps the thing I love most about this book is that it shows combinations with kanji that are not in the first position of the word. Many, if not all, native dictionaries only show words with the initial kanji for examples, which can be frustrating given the way they are combined in Japanese and take on some unexpected readings. Perhaps it is for this reason alone that I still use this dictionary even after studying kanji
Othy
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This dictionary is the most amazing dictionary I've ever used for Japanese, as its set-up is easy to follow and the kanji is very simple to look up. If you ever need a Japanese kanji dictionary, use this one.
Matt
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japanese-study
I've plumbed this dictionary inside and out for years alongside other kanji dictionaries in my studies. For starting out, this book is an essential tool; however, when it comes to studying readings and the like, I feel there are better resources out there. What this Kodansha Kanji dictionary for learners does do exceptionally well is provide a physical resource that is easy to look-up kanji in while reading something written in Japanese or studying. I would argue that this shouldn't necessarily ...more
Mizumi
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I haven't been using this dictionary a lot because I got a wordtank quite quickly afterwards, but I love it still, even though it got me into trouble for not having some of the kanji that were in my homework (hence the wordtank). I have no trouble at all looking things up, and the meanings are short and straight to the point. Maybe not the best dictionary for translating or deep text analysis, but most certainly a great dictionary for, well, 'busy people'.
(On a completely random note, I love ho
Gavin
Apr 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Another Kanji dictionary, but Halpern tries to entirely re-invent the Kanji categorisation system, which means some lookups make you say "Brilliant! Two seconds!" and others make you say "Why the #$%@ is it there?! How was I supposed to know to divide it there?".

But it contains a wealth of example phrases, some so spectacularly subtle that even native Japanese speakers turn their heads quizzically when confronted with them.

Kanji is always exciting with Jack.
James
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: language
The book does a well enough job providing the reader with a dictionary that fits its function. The problem today is that any student of Japanese is provided with numerous far more convenient ways to look up the meaning of kanji and its compounds. In short, this type of book is quickly becoming obsolete.
Adrian Magill
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've been using this book as a reference off and on for about six years now. The one drawback it has (and this is understandable considering...) is that it sometimes doesn't have the kanji one might need. However, it should be noted that I was in Japan when I was using this book and it does contain over 2,000 of a possible 10,000 kanji characters.
Haengbok92
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent dictionary! Offers a lot of insight into Kanji common and obscure. I really like to flip through it and learn another Kanji or Kanji combination word. That said, I think the proof of this book will come when I go to Japan. Looking forward to it!
Julie
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This has been one of the most helpful things I have ever had when studying Japanese. It is chock-full of good examples, readings for each character, and it includes readings for names. It is incredibly easy to look up new characters once one gets used to the SKIP method employed by the authors.
Jim
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This Kanji dictionary is very in-depth and has been a great resource when reading and learning Japanese.
Michelle Anderson
Liz Murphy
Oct 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words
  • A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar 日本語文法辞典【中級編】 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary #2)
  • Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
  • GENKI: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese, Vol. II
  • Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication: A Self-Study Course and Reference
  • Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Japanese Grammar
  • Essential Kanji: 2,000 Basic Japanese Characters Systematically Arranged for Learning and Reference
  • A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters: All the Kanji Characters Needed to Learn Japanese and Ace the Japanese Language Proficiency Test
  • Breaking Into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text
  • Japanese Step by Step : An Innovative Approach to Speaking and Reading Japanese
  • Japanese the Manga Way: An Illustrated Guide to Grammar and Structure
  • New Penguin Parallel Text: Short Stories in Japanese
  • The Japanese Have a Word for It
  • Nakama 1: Japanese Communication, Culture, Context
  • Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese (H)
  • Basic Kanji Book, Vol. 1