Start by marking “Essential Kanji: 2,000 Basic Japanese Characters Systematically Arranged for Learning and Reference” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Essential Kanji is an integrated course for learning to read and write the 2,000 basic Japanese characters. It introduces the kanji that are now in everyday use, a mastery of which makes it possible to read most modern Japanese. Devised for either home or classroom use, the book has been tested and refined by years of use in university classes taught by the author.
Published November 1st 1987 by Weatherhill (first published November 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Kanji, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Kanji

Matthew
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Learning Kanji is not necessary to using Japanese, but learning them adds a whole new dimension of appreciation for the poetics of the language. Essential Kanji is a useful reference book to learn new kanji and review old ones. It is arranged differently than other books on the subject and can cause slight confusion at times because of it. Most books on the subject are arranged by grade or year. It can be useful to see them in a different order because it can spark new memories.

The book feature
Christopher
Mar 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: japanese language students
Shelves: japan
The 2000 most often used kanji presented in the traditional learning order with stroke-order and often used compounds. Doesn't address radicals or the thousands of other kanji and compound words you will need to be able to read, but its a great start. Highly recommended to beginner through intermediate.
Sara
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so so much~<3 It's so awesome and helpful. I've used it to look up kanji many times and I've used it to learn the simpler kanji (I'm lazy, otherwise I'd have learned more). It's so thorough, I really couldn't ask for anything more from it. It's a beautiful little book and it smells like candy! (for some reason, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth) :D
Serge Pierro
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Outstanding book on learning to read and write Kanji. It covers the 2,000 basic Kanji that are the foundation of studying Japanese. When I first started to study Japanese, my ability to read and write it was greatly enhanced by the usage of this book.
Jean-Marc Rocher
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After 16 years in Japan and all the advances in online dictionaries and translators, this book still gets regular use. I would even say that the more familiar you are with kanji, the more useful this guide becomes, since looking up unfamiliar ones becomes even faster.
Dec 02, 2009 marked it as to-read
I've skimmed this book, but don't really need it yet. However, it's the only kanji book I will ever need to purchase, because it contains the most commonly used 2.000 characters and the stroke order.
Amber Berry
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language
This is perhaps a book I own. I think the publish date is incorrect here, though. My hardcover volume has a pink dust jacket and I bought it in Tokyo in 1970.
Linda Hamby
Jan 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Breaking Into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Japanese Step by Step : An Innovative Approach to Speaking and Reading Japanese
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary
  • Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication: A Self-Study Course and Reference
  • A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar 日本語基本文法辞典 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary #1)
  • All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words
  • New Penguin Parallel Text: Short Stories in Japanese
  • Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
  • Japanese Grammar
  • Making Out in Japanese: (Japanese Phrasebook)
  • Genki I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese
  • Dirty Japanese: Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to "F*%# Off!"
  • Read Real Japanese Essays: Contemporary Writings by Popular Authors
  • Japanese Demystified
  • Let's Learn Hiragana: First Book of Basic Japanese Writing
  • Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese (H)
  • Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized