Start by marking “The Russia Account (Tommy Carmellini #9)” as Want to Read:
The Russia Account (Tommy Carmellini #9)

The Russia Account

(Tommy Carmellini #9)

Stephen Coonts’ newest novel The Russia Account pits CIA officer Tommy Carmellini against a murderous, international financial conspiracy that leaves a trail of death and corruption, extending from a small bank in Estonia, to the highest reaches of the Kremlin, to the halls of the Congress, and perhaps even to the CIA itself -- putting Admiral Jake Grafton, the head of the ...more
Published August 13th 2019 by Regnery Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Russia Account, please sign up.
Marty No. Although the main characters are the same each novel is its own plot

Start your review of The Russia Account (Tommy Carmellini #9)
Glen
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: espionage, firstreads
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

Probably the final book in the Tommy Carmellini series starts with a kidnapping. The daughter of an official in a minor bank in Europe is kidnapped. This attracts the attention of the state department and the CIA. It turns out this bank was used to launder billions of dollars for the latest scheme by Putin.

Tommy and the boss have get to the bottom of things before the US is in another Civil War.

Humorous, and entertaining, but possibly not for those on the
Kevin. McKernan
Jun 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
I really enjoyed it Very good summer read
Charlie
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible story. It is today's story. Names have been changed to - yeah, you know the rest. The story starts out with a BANG and ends with a BANG. It is a political event about an enormous amount of money fed thru various banks around the world and many millions going to Universities and the like. The Russians are suspect in this money- laundry business. Money talks. Death, snitches, and coverups are in every corner. The whole idea is for the Russians to weaken and practically destroy America.
Jim
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a not-so-subtle political thriller based on today's political situation in the United States. The President is clearly Trump; the Speaker of the House is clearly Pelosi; the Minority Leader of the Senate is clearly Schumer. The 2016 Democratic presidential nominee is clearly Clinton. The author clearly leans to the political right in what has become (and is) a very politically polarized society.

The heroes of the novel, if there are any, is the Director of the CIA and members of his
Jeff Bailey
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished The Russia Account by Stephen Coonts. This was my kind of spy/intrigue/thriller. Every time I thought I had the story figured out, the plot line morphed into something more suspenseful and unexpected. I’ve always been a fan of the slow story burn, that is, the slow escalation of suspense. I find myself reading faster and faster. With Stephen Coonts, it’s the ending that I like best. He is a master of the clutch last scene that I would not have thought of myself. Five stars for ...more
Alicia
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won an advance copy of this book through Goodreads.

This is my first book with this author. I've had him, and this particular series, on my future read list for a while now. So I was very excited to receive it.

The storyline is scarily real. It could happen in today's world.

We start off quickly with a kidnapping of a bank employee in a small branch in Estonia. She inquires to higher ups about strange activity. The bank is moving millions of dollars every week. It definitely doesn't fit.

The head
Jackie Rogers
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this author. Mr. Coonts has a way of writing about todays political messes without using real names. He sure hits the nail on it's head. This novel will not be out til August so prepare to read it. Thanks Stephen Coonts and thanks to the publisher who sent me an arc copy. Regnery.com.
Wayne
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fans of Saul Alinski and the very liberal left certainly would not get through this novel. So be it!!
The Russia Account reads like current political events in the US, with Russia involved in money schemes with US politicians; with characters like Barry Sotero, former Presidential candidate Cynthia Hinton, former President Willy Hinton, current candidate 'Squaw, and even Presidential assistant Reem Kiddus! It involves the attempt to impeach the current President by members of the House and
Joan
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review of uncorrected page proof

A highly suspicious volume of money moving through a small bank branch in Estonia throws CIA officer Tommy Carmellini into a conspiracy that may have roots in Congress or the Kremlin or perhaps even the CIA itself. As Tommy doggedly pursues the investigation, what he uncovers may put his life . . . and Jake Grafton’s . . . in jeopardy. Can Tommy and Jake unravel the web of conspiracy before they become the targets of an assassin?

This gritty yet compelling tale,
Coleen
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another thriller by Stephen Coonts starring Tommy Carmellini and some other folks from the prior CIA -FBI - type novels.

I recently read the author's 'Liberty Last Stand' and enjoyed it and can write the same about enjoying this one. It is an easy read and moves quickly. Not difficult to follow and an interesting theme. What is particularly interesting about the theme is that a friend of mine very shortly before I started reading the book, described a worrisome [to her] similar scenario
Mark
A sequel and kind of a conclusion to the 8th in the Tommy Carmellini/Jake Grafton spy world, "The Armageddon File."...basically the two novels are not-so-subtle political thrillers based on the 2016 Presidential Election, Russian efforts to sew discord and the Left & Deep State's efforts to dislodge a duly elected President...Russians have dumped tons of "electronic cash" into the American economy & both the Left & Right's political operations and then allowed it to be discovered ...more
Kay
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Current climate political-financial thriller with Russia injecting over 200 billion fake dollars into the US to cause turmoil and it did just that. An exciting novel, but sad to say good bye to the cast because I really like Carmellini's character. Hopefully there will be a new adventure.
Suzan Turley
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy read with intriguing characters. Enjoyed it, but prefer more twists and turns as plot was predictable about halfway through. I did enjoy Mr. Coonts writing style.
Eli Pollack
Sep 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Very thinly disguised pro-Trump political screed. Too bad, because it had an interesting premise.
Jo
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Not his best in this series but I admit I was negatively impacted by the political overtones.
Dale Taylor
Pretty lame

A slow paced and improbable story line laced with the author’s eight grade right wing political nonsense. A waste of the reader’s time.
Dav Roth
Aug 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Well written as usual from Coonts.. but he went off on a weird MAGA rant for most of the book. Incredible levels of vitriol aimed at a thinly veiled Clinton character "Cynthia Hinton". So badly I see a libel suit. Used "nigger" just to make a Democratic character look bad.. Being Canadian I found the whole thing in incredibly bad taste. Author should stick to writing good mindless action books and leave his political bent out of it.
Tom
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense
not the best of the series
Randy M.
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Stephen Coonts is a master at quickly transforming current events within our socio-political landscape into partisan novels featuring his recurring characters, Jake Grafton and Tommy Carmellini. The Russia Account is no exception. It is published by Regnery Publishing, whose tag line is “Great Conservative Books. Great Conservative Authors.” It’s not rocket science to figure out which side of the political spectrum this will fall. And it falls with the weight and force of a sledgehammer.

For a
David Hibberd
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, intrigue
When a nine-year-old American girl is kidnapped in Tallinn, Estonia CIA operative Tommy Carmellini is tasked with finding her. What he discovers is that the girl's mother is manager for a small branch of the Bank of Scandinavia and that about 50 billion dollars are flowing through the branch each year. The money comes from Russia and goes to individuals in many countries with most going to the U.S. Those people then distribute it to numerous people and organizations including churches, schools, ...more
Joseph
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
While it has some interesting parts, Stephen Coonts’ “The Russia Account” is not a book I’d recommend to others. Even though it deals with current events, it feels like it would fit more in the 1960’s Cold War spy book class. It starts with an interesting premise, but the development drags in the middle and the writing alone is not good enough to maintain a reader’s interest. Since it was a Goodreads Giveaway I kept at it all the way to the finish.

For a long time I wondered why Coonts would
Marcia
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was sent an ARC by the publisher because I have read & reviewed many of Coonts' books. I love this book! I enjoy reading about places I have visited such as Capri. The details of places are very well done. Tommy Carmellini is one of my favorite characters. Jake Grafton also is in the story; he is the one who ultimately figures out who started the problem. The premise is interesting. Russia has sent "fake", not counterfeit, but fake wire transfers of money through a small bank in Estonia. ...more
Dennis L.
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny Money Tsunami?

Beginning with Tommy Carmellini bringing off a “black bag” job in the offices of a European Bank at midnight, this new thriller from Stephen Coontz starts with a bang, just as his readers have a right to expect.

The plot grows from a political kidnapping, and evidence that said bank is engaged in massive money laundering. The plot accelerates in the usual Coontz fashion, and the specter of Russian involvement with all the attending complications takes center stage.

The plot
Roxann
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
From the cover: Burglar turned CIA warrior Tommy Carmellini has starred in eight previous Coonts’ thrillers, from Liars and Thieves to Coonts’ latest from Regnery, The Armageddon File. Realistic, passionate, in love with life, Tommy struggles in our turbulent age. Critics have labeled him a “hip, modern hero.” With the help of his mentor Jake Grafton, up to now Carmellini has always managed to foil his enemies. Discovering and defeating the powerful forces behind this massive, blood-stained ...more
Stephenee
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I usually enjoy the Tommy Carmellini series, however, this one was a bit of a disappointment for me. it left me feeling unsatisfied and a bit bored at times. This is not my favorite in the series, even though I wanted it to be.

This one had some really slow parts for me...the action didn't really pick up for me until the last half of the book and even then it wasn't action packed. The characters all go through an emotional ringer, but the bad guys don't really ever become super clear or give us
Christopher Geraghty
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure-I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I have not read any of the other books in this series. I entered the Giveaway because the premise of a thief (Tommy Carmellini) working for the CIA (Admiral Grafton) reminded me of one of the coolest spy shows of the 1960s It Takes a Thief.

Noah Bain-"Oh look Al. I'm not asking you to spy. I'm just asking you to steal."
Alexander Mundy-"Let me get this straight. You want me to steal?! I've heard of stealing from the government! But stealing
Donna Hines
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A young girl is kidnapped. Her mother has ties to Russia funneling money through her Bank of Scandinavia.
Now all hands are on deck trying to uncover where this money is coming from and how this operation is being played out with our major CIA Op Tommy seeking to find the young girl in Estonia while the CIA director Grafton assigns his men to find out the sequence of the money changing hands from the bank through the local churches and organizations.
Many of the characters are a direct play out of
Rachel Sakitis
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book as a give away from Good Reads. It is a page proof book, with publication due in August.
This is a thriller about Tommie Carmellini and his boss Admiral Jake Grafton. A small bank in Estonia is seeing a huge influx of activity. Along the way to finding out where all this money is coming from and going to, people are getting killed. The attempted assassination of Jake is the turning point that is needed to find out who is behind this world wide disaster.
If the Russians
Joseph Carano
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The publisher sent me a ARC of this novel in the hope that I would review it. The fact of the matter is I reviewed Stephen Coonts last offering and enjoyed the heck out of it. We live in an age where the liberal media brainwashes us on a day to day basis with pro-socialist garbage. As a reader, you will not find that in Coonts writing. He writes as a conservative, pro American, which is very rare these days, as about half of Americans have been convinced to hate their country today. To avoid ...more
Caroline
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you start unraveling a suspected money laundering scheme, who knows where the money came from and where it ended up? CIA Officer Tommy Carmellini and CIA Director Jake Grafton are at their best in Stephen Coonts latest thriller. The plot is fast paced, the action brutal and the story line implications will make the reader sit back and ask themselves, "What is legal? What is ethical? What is moral?" How far should public servants go to live up to their oath to "protects and defend the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • Game of Snipers
  • Final Option (Oregon Files, #14)
  • The Titanic Secret (Isaac Bell, #11)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • The Kremlin Strike (Brad McLanahan #6)
  • Red Metal
  • Assassin's Revenge (David Slaton #6)
  • Sting of the Wasp (Tom Clancy's Op-Center #18)
  • Tom Clancy Enemy Contact
  • Exit Fee (Pike Logan #13.5)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • Stealth (A Stone Barrington Novel)
  • Backlash (Scott Harvath, #19)
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • Contraband (Stone Barrington #50)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • True Believer (James Reece, #2)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS

Tommy Carmellini (8 books)
  • Liars & Thieves (Tommy Carmellini #1)
  • The Traitor (Tommy Carmellini #2)
  • The Assassin (Tommy Carmellini #3)
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini #4)
  • Pirate Alley (Jake Grafton #15; Tommy Carmellini #5)
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11; Tommy Carmellini #7)
  • The Armageddon File (Tommy Carmellini #8)