Start by marking “Love in a Tuscan Kitchen: Savoring Life through the Romance, Recipes, and Traditions of Italy” as Want to Read:

Chocolate cake makes sweet dreams come true.

In a real-life fairy tale, author Sheryl Ness shares how she fell in love with Vincenzo, a chef in a quaint Tuscan kitchen, over his decadent hot chocolate cake.

This enchanting memoir will transport you to the cobblestone streets, lush hillsides dotted with grapevines and olive trees, and unique characters that create the bac
Published March 2nd 2018 by Tuscan Dreams LLC

To ask other readers questions about Love in a Tuscan Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love in a Tuscan Kitchen

Start your review of Love in a Tuscan Kitchen: Savoring Life through the Romance, Recipes, and Traditions of Italy
Sherri Thacker
This book takes place in Tuscany and even though I've never been to Italy, I feel like i know a lot more about it than I did. Descriptives of the scenery, food, the love story ... what a beautiful written story!! Thank you for this complimentary copy from Concierge Marketing Inc through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Sandra McKenna
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable and tasty read.

This book is a delight to read. Sheryl 's love for Tuscany, the food, the people, and the surrounding areas shine through on every page.
There are several delicious recipes to tempt the taste buds, and lots of photos of her time in this beautiful country.
It is a love story, a travelogue and recipe book all rolled into one.
A magnificent read which I can't recommend highly enough.
Brigid Gallagher
"Love in a Tuscan Kitchen" is a joyful antidote for these challenging times. The author is inspired to travel to Italy on a hiking holiday with a friend, and falls in love with Tuscany and its people. She returns again and again, determined to spend more time in the little village of San Gusme, located near Siena.
Destined to meet her husband Vincenzo, a talented chef who makes a great chocolate cake, their love faces many challenges, not least the distance from Sheryl's home in Minnesota. Howeve
Leith Devine
I enjoyed this book. The descriptions of Tuscany were beautiful and evocative, and I could tell that the author had deep ties to the area. The recipes sound delicious, although the way they are formatted in the book makes them hard to read.

Thanks to Tuscan Dreams LLC and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Marian Beaman
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-read
How does a 40-something nurse from Minnesota find love in a Tuscan kitchen? Sheryl Ness tells how as she recounts her romance with chef Vincenzo in her 2018 book, part memoir, part romance novel, part travelogue and recipe book.

Love in a Tuscan Kitchen is tastefully illustrated with recipes from her American home and also from San Guzmo, her adopted charming village in Italy. Believers in finding true love, and gastronomes planning to visit the area will find this book instructive—enchanting eve
Alison
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Author, who is from Minnesota, decided to take a trip to Tuscany with a friend and falls in love with Italy. Later she had the opportunity to work for a friend in the travel business, and moves back to Tuscany to the small town of San Gusme, not too far from Siena. Here Sheryl helps her friend with her travel business and also takes care of her friends daughters when needed. She falls in love with this quaint little town and its people and eventually with a local chef Vincenzo Giangiordano. ...more
Mary Kate
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn’t love a true story about a woman chasing her dreams and falling in love with an Italian chef who makes a mean chocolate cake? A delicious story with the added bonus of a collection of authentic Italian recipes straight from Italy. 10/10 recommend
Randal White
Great descriptions that make you feel as though you are there. The author can make even mundane, everyday experiences seem magical. There are also a load of good recipes.
Linda Hastings
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was very disappointed in the way the book came across on my ebook. I love Italian food and was hoping for some new dishes to try. The story was very well written and I kept reading to see our main characters married. It is not very easy to move to another country and to learn the language. If you don't mind not being able to read the recipes this is a good book. They were just too small and impossible to read. They also came across much lighter. Some of them make your mouth water as she relate ...more
Jan
What wonderful memories! From a career in nursing (eventually earning a doctorate) to the beauty of Tuscan Italy, Sheryl has experienced wonderful things and even found the loves of her life. And even married the one who is not a place. Her journey was uplifting and fascinating (even when read via TTS app)! I loved it! Even better than Commissario Montalbano!
I won my free ebook copy in a Goodreads Giveaway, but need to buy a print copy for a friend.
Alana White
"Love in a Tuscan Kitchen: Savoring Life Through the Romance, Recipes, and Traditions of Italy." I loved this book. The author, Sheryl Ness, moved to a small town in Tuscany and fell in love with the chef in the local restaurant over his chocolate "love cake." I fell in love with the book. The lovely descriptions made me feel as though I were sitting on the bench gossiping with the local older women and going on walks in the surrounding countryside. Lots of terrific recipes, too. (Including the ...more
Anitajt
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title attracted me to this delightful book, next was the mention of romance and then food! A truly lovely story of a woman’s journey to the love of her life. Her writing style was so mesmerising, her descriptions of the places she visited made me feel I was there. It was like reading a private diary sharing her most precious memories.
The recipes sound delicious, I hope to try some soon, especially the hot chocolate ‘love’ cake plus, many others. This is a inspirational story, telling us, yo
Peggy
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly delightful and inspiring story of one woman’s courageous journey to follow her heart and her dreams. The result was love, marriage, lifelong relationships, as well as learning so much about herself. Not to mention the opportunity to enjoy the most incredible Italian food.
We have the privilege of knowing Sheryl and Vincenzo and have had a few opportunities to savor his magic in the kitchen. It is by far, some of the best Italian food we have ever had.
Annarella
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The description of Tuscan were lovely and realistic (I'm Italian) and the recipes yummy.
It's recommended!
Many thanks to Netgalley and Concierge Marketing
J.M. Powers
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Wow, Love in a Tuscan Kitchen could very well be made into a movie. Not only is this story true, it's a fairy tale come to life. The book is filled with love, recipes and Italian culture. The fear of taking a chance at a dream keeps many from following their heart, but this author took hold of what she wanted and filled her life with passion. What an inspiring read!

Sheryl Ness pens this story so well, I felt like I walked the cobblestone streets, met the people within the small Italian village
Marilee
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book a lot. I am going to try some of the recipes included although I am not a skilled cook 😛 I am fortunate to live in the area where Sheryl's husband is a chef, looking forward to trying out Terza ristorante soon and trying his delicacies. Looking forward to next Johanna party so I can discuss Sheryl's book with her in person.
Lisa Pelto
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Memoir readers, travel readers, food lovers, lovers in general
Love, travel and food. Sheryl Ness's story is heartwarming, authentic, beautifully written, and a treasure to read. This is one I recommend at least once a day. Includes amazing recipes, traditions, and an extraordinary love story. LOVE this book.
Jaime Smoody
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sheryl is a friend of mine so I'm slightly biased. Honestly though, this book was such a joy to read! Sheryl does an amazing job describing the sites, sounds and smells of Tuscany...and oh my, the food! I'm left with tears in my eyes as I've just finished the book.
Lisa Jensen
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book. Very descriptive. I just read and read and read. Love it
Cristina Adams
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!
Julie
Thanks to NetGalley and Concierge Marketing, Inc. for an ARC of this book, which I voluntarily reviewed.

So many of us never act on our inner longings (maybe we aren’t even aware of them). Sheryl Ness discovered hers on a trip to Italy when she was in her 30s, divorced and a successful nurse manager in Minnesota. It took her a few years, but then she quit her job and followed that inner voice, without any real plan, to the tiny village of San Gusme in Tuscany. And that is where she finally found
Lizz
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Love in a Tuscan Kitchen will make you fall in love with Tuscany

I won a copy of this book as a Goodreads Giveaway, but the following opinions are completely my own. I had read books like Under the Tuscan Sun, and Eat, Pray, Love, and while I'm not Italian by blood, I feel Italian by heart, and this book made me feel even more so.

Sheryl Ness spins her words into the sun-drenched fields of Tuscany, and transports you to her Italy without the need of a passport. You might find yourself falling a b
Cat
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulously researched travel guide! The authors really did their homework. I don't think I've ever encountered such a comprehensive travel guide in my life! I didn't need to red the whole book, but as I going to visit in the next year or so, I wanted to have a look/see of this book. I certainly hope someone does one on Scotland... What I did was look up all the places I know I will be going to and was amazed at all the info: how to get around, where to stay, where to eat, what to see and do, etc ...more
Corgi
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Love in a Tuscan Kitchen: Savoring Life through the Romance, Recipes, and Traditions of Italy by Sheryl Ness. This would make an excellent book club read, as the recipes could be incorporated into the discussion. The title says it all love, eating & living in Italy.

This is also a great beach read, it is not complicated nor does it drag you down - it is a positive book. It's a happy book.

I would highly recommend: Love in a Tuscan Kitchen to readers who like: memoirs, food/reci
R J Mckay
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Goodreads in exchange for a review.

Author Sherly Ness whisks the reader off to the little Italian town of San Gusme and introduces us to life at its most fundamental. A place where friends and family rein supreme, and where food is made with love. If you listen closely, you can here the children playing, the laundry flapping on the clothes lines, and friends greeting each other as they go about their daily lives

An added bonus is a collection of recipes from S
Judy
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story of a woman who reinvents her life at 40, moving to a small village outside Sienna, Italy, and eventually marrying a chef there. I love the setting, and as an expat myself, can relate to someone adapting to a new community. And, she includes a lot of recipes from her husband and his family which look very tempting. I originally read this through Kindle Unlimited, but went ahead and bought it afterward in order to keep the recipes.
Bonnie
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It did have it's moments when Sheryl talked like she was writing in her dairy but all in all she brought out the beauty of Tuscany. I also loved the recipes and look forward to trying her Lemon Almond and Pistachio Biscotti! If you love Italy or want to take a book tour of Tuscany I suggest you buy this book!
Suzanne K
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love cooking and Tuscany so had to read this. The author shared from her heart and wrote beautifully and descriptively about the places and people. It was a lovely glimpse into life in a small Italian village. I found myself looking at San Gusme and the places around it on google maps and dreaming of a visit! Thank you for sharing your life and your love.
Lindsey
This was a rather enjoyable memoir of an American woman falling in love with Tuscany, falling in love with an Italian chef, and then moving there. Recipes are included with the story, and there are many I'd like to try. This book does repeat itself at times and could use a good editor.
Ramona
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review of Love in a Tuscan Kitchen: Savoring Life through the

I absolutely loved reading this book/Cookbook. I would highly recommend this book to everyone. I won this book through a giveaway on Goodreads website.

• My Grape Cellar (The Grape Series, #7)
  • My Grape Quebec (The Grape Series, #2)
  • Anywhere but Bordeaux!: Adventures of an American Teacher in France
  • What have we got Toulouse: A family moving to France
  • At Least You're in Tuscany: A Somewhat Disastrous Quest for the Sweet Life
  • Uncanny Valley
  • Open Book
  • The Missing Sister
  • My French Platter: A Journey to a Dream Life in France
  • My Grape Village (The Grape Series, #6)
  • RV There Yet?
  • The Discerning Traveller: Let every new day broaden your horizons (The Journey Book 6)
  • Face It
  • My Four Seasons in France: A Year of the Good Life
  • Finding Home
  • Living the Dream: in the Algarve, Portugal
  • The Old Girls' Network: A funny, feel-good read for summer 2020
  • The Tale Teller (Leaphorn & Chee, #23) (Leaphorn, Chee and Manuelito, #5)
Sheryl Ness was inspired to become a nurse by her father’s mother, who was one of the first formally trained nurses of her time. Sheryl has a master’s degree in Transcultural Nursing from Augsburg College in Minneapolis. She works as a clinical editor for Elsevier based in Rochester, Minnesota, and where she worked for thirty years as a nurse at the Mayo Clinic.

Her interest and love for the apprec

News & Interviews

“Life in Italy had a beautiful rhythm to it, like a piece of music, starting out quietly, building to a middle crescendo, then quiet again until the big finish at the end. For me observing all of this as an outsider, it felt as if the locals would dance to the music and their voices were like songs. They would walk arm in arm together catching up and had a closeness that Americans would never dare to show. I loved this. When they would talk, their entire body got involved, from the” 0 likes