Start by marking “பார்த்திபன் கனவு [Parthiban Kanavu]” as Want to Read:
பார்த்திபன் கனவு [Parthiban Kanavu]

பார்த்திபன் கனவு [Parthiban Kanavu]

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  2,509 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
This book is the first of trilogy, which covers the reign of Narasimha Pallavan(Narasimhavarman). The narrative revolves around the struggle of the Pallava Emperor to enhance the prestige of the Pallava dynasty flag.

Paarthiban Kanavu deals with the attempts of the son of (fictional) Chola king Parthiban, Vikraman, to attain independence from the Pallava ruler, Narasimhavar
Published 2002 by Vanathi Pathipakam (first published 1942)

Bhargavi Balachandran
I technically have the ability to read Tamil.But even on my best days,i don't think i could manage a page of Tamil prose without making my brain go bonkers.Obviously, i am not proud of this as Tamil is my mother tongue and I have studied it as my second language for a decent period of time.My reading habit started courtesy random books available at home. It is a little surprising that i have to slave over a passage of Tamil when both my parents read quite a bit of Tamil literature and we had ton ...more
Umesh Kesavan
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who wish to enjoy Kalki's genius yet do not have the patience for " Ponniyin Selvan" , this is a smart shortcut !
Roop Kumar
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This the sequel to Sivagamiyin Sabatham, the book is short compared to Sivagamiyin Sabatham and Ponniyin Selvan.

Parthiban is Chola King who is paying tax to Pallava empire. When Narasimha Varman went to war with Pulikesi, Chola king stopped to pay taxes. Narasimha Varman successful return after defeating Pulikesi he summons the Chola king to pay the taxes. But Parthiban who knows his army is not match to Pallavas ask them to wage war. He takes his son Vikraman to his secret room and shows his d
Green Singh
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Patriotism, love and sacrifice. Parthiban Kanavu is the book every Tamilian should read and to get a glimpse of our glory,our history should be reminded to the people and Amarar Kalki does exactly that. Reading this novel has been a spine chilling experience for me.
This novel deals with the attempts of Vikraman,son of Chola king Parthiban, to attain independence from the Pallava ruler, Narasimhavarman.
The Cholas remain vassals of the Pallavas. Parthiban conveys his dream of the Chol
Thangaprakash Sengodan
Many thanks to Kalki for bringing me the habit of reading books!!. When I was pursuing my Master's degree (2003) at Government College of Technology, Coimbatore, it was happened to read Kalki's "PARTHIBAN KANAVU" (thanks for my room-mate a good reader then), ofcourse I started the novel by 7.10 pm as a short time pass until the dinner 7.30 pm. But I was trapped by his writing and I lost my dinner that night and finally put down the book after 12.00. I never thought of reading a full book before, ...more
Arulmozhivarman
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first of the trilogy of Kalki's historical magnum opuses, 'Parthiban Kanavu' boasts the richness of the Tamil Nadu and its people during the reign of Chola and Pallava dynasties. Written in a simple and lucid style without compromising the parlance of the language, this book is the best starter for anyone new to Tamil historical fictions.
Though the story is simple, Kalki has interwoven the plot with everything the reader can dream for: beauty, harmony, gallantry, romance, satire, shock, hor
Shakir Shakiel
I have to say I was disappointed with this novel. Its nowhere close to its previous part - Sivakamiyin Sabatham which was a brilliant masterpiece. The main protagonist of this novel - Vikraman has absolutely no clue of what he is doing, let it be his ambition to accomplish his father's dream or his lady love.

But the suspense of who the main character of the novel will make you tread slowly. The last 50 pages leaves you somewhat satisfied as there is more action and twists involved. One thing is
Silver
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be generous with my stars here and give this one 5 shining stars. But that doesn't mean it isn't good. It is; Just not Kalki's best. Still it is one of the better historical novels you can find in tamil. It is not long or as well-written as his other two masterpieces and I remember finishing it in hours. I have a definite soft spot for it since it is the first ever novel I read. Before that I just stuck with newspapers, magazines, etc. I should thank my dad for introducing me into t ...more
Sudharsan srinivasan
well penned Tamil classic by kalki. The characterisation was too good. The flow of story seems to be guessing but with that mystery saivite monk thrill and suspense has been cleverly maintained by author. The pace of the story is as good as watching a movie. we can't time travel but if want to meet pallava and chola kings one can travel in parthiban kanavu. so overall PARTHIBAN KANAVU - parthiban kanavilirundhu meezhvadhu sulabam alla...adhan thaakam vazhnaal muzhuvadhum thodarum!!
GS Nathan
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue, suspense, romance, valor, courage, villainy, revenge, envy, loyalty, all showcased within a intricate story filled with unexpected twists and turns makes this an excellent historical romance, told with all of Kalki's trademark ability. Perhaps that a fuller and more measured treatment of the story - a la Ponniyin Selvan - would have been more satisfying...but then again, you can't have everything. A gripping page turner!
Venkat Krishnan
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me a new experience..Yes this is the of any stuff that i read in my own native language...""TAMIL""..I take pride of my self that I successfully started my first book in Tamil..
A sense of pride flows through my veins to say myself TAMIZAN.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

I have already heared some great things about AMARAR KALKI....I used to see many great people whom I Inspire took Kalki as Inspiration..After reading this book I came to know the reason..

Jananee Raman
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh such an exciting sequel of Sivagamiyin Sabatham. Time just flies in Kalki's novel. You travel with the characters for year, you see their birth, their childhood, their adolescent, their love, their entire life as if it is your own. I can't define by words. I feel proud to be a tamizhian, born on the same land these great people have lived. RESPECT.LOVE.
Gowtham Mahalingam
Great to know this history with non-fictional incidents and characters. This is will the great book if any read this before "Ponniyin Selvan". If you get into this after PS, you will feel very normal as this won't fascinate in wy as PS did. Strictly IMO. :)

As a whole, Worth the read
Prasanna Venkataraman
Good historical novel to read.. It will be best, when you take it after reading Sivagamiyin sabatham. This is more or less like a sequel to Sivagamiyin Sabatham. Definitely we ll get inspired to visit Mahabalipuram after reading this combo...
Shobana
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
A sequel to Sivagamiyin Sabadham. However I finished this earlier. Now the urge to visit mahabalipuram is even stronger. Vikrama chozhan's love for Kundavi has been crafted very beautifully.. A must read..
Ganesh
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very well written, easy to read book, but feels like a dress rehearsal to Ponniyin Selvan
Shakthivanilla Saraboji
The author did not hurt both pallavas and chozhas... A fairy tale ending perhaps... Good but I would have been interested if it had had some bitter truths, when you plot for a throne.
Arunram A
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Parthiban Kanavu (PK) is a fast paced thriller right from the beginning to end!

I had read this earlier in 2001 or 2002. And, forgot most of the plot by now when I started reading. It can be considered as a sequel to the "Sivakamiyin Sabadham" (SS). The heros of SS - "Narasimha Pallavan" and "Paranjothi @ Siruthondar" play important roles here in PK as well.

The story revolves around Vikrama Cholan, Narasimha Pallavan, his daughter Kundavi, Marappan (Vikraman's uncle), a rower family on the banks
Girish
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Parthiban Kanavu is that book that you start reading as a classic and find a masala movie in it! My first tamil read in sometime and was suitably rewarded for sticking to my long pending list of authors i wanted to read.

The book narrates the story of the mighty Pallava king Narasimhavarman and the story of Vikraman, son of Parthiban the brave-hearted Chozha king. Reduced to a Vassal kingdom, the chozha king Parthiban refuses to pay tax to Pallavas and dies bravely. His dream of establishing an i
Balakumar
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All those know Tamil
The tamil historical novel by Kalki Krishnamoorthy tells about the love between estranged Chola prince Vikraman with Pallava princes and daughter of Narasimhavarma Pallva, Kundhavi. Vikraman's father Parthiban, a heir of the almost extinct Chola empire is defeated in the war by Narasimha varma. In his death bed, he requests a saivite monk to take care of his young son and guide him to recover the lost fame and rule. The monk-in-disguise is non other than the Emperor Narasimha varma. The rest of ...more
Priya Venkat
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
இது கலகி கிருஷணமூரததி அவரகளால கலகி இதழில தொடராக எழுதி வெளியான புகழ பெறற வரலாறறுப புதினமாகும. இது பினனர நூலாக வெளிவநதது. இசசரிததிரக கதையில பாரததிபன எனும சோழ அரசனின கனவு அவரின புததிரன மூலம எவவாறு நிறைவேறுகினறது எனபது அழகாகக கூறபபடடுளளது. நரசிமம பலலவன, சிறுததொணடர எனகினற பரஞசோதி போனற வரலாறறுப பாததிரஙகள இககதையில வருகினறனர. கலகியின மறறொறு புதினமான சிவகாமியின சபதததில வரும பல கதாபாததிரஙகள பாரததிபன கனவிலும தொடரவதை காணலாம. ...more
Yuvaraj Ravichandiran
The book which is a sequel to 'Sivakamiyin Sabatham' is a nice historical work by Kalki. The story is awesome with historical background.

The portrait of Pallava King and his ruling is excellent. The context in which 'Paranjothi' used is unpredictable.

The story gives us the information about the kingdom with its bravery and the villains mingled with 'Kabalikas'.
Vickram Asokan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
The novel is good.

But, the narrative is very similar to Ponniyin Selvan. The set up is a different time in history but you cannot help notice the similarities between PS & PK.

The story is aligned with history to the maximum. Instead of reading history books, kids can be given such books to make TAMIL history more attractive...

Very good novel with racy script. A GOOD ONE from Kalki.
Surya Pandian
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one amazing novel in tamil.
It is short , historic and romantic.

The historic accounts mentioned in this book is true.
One actually gets to know the history of Tamil Nadu through Kalki's work.

awesome book. Maybe I am biased about the book because I am a Tamil as well.

But this book is really a good work.
Mani Kandan
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is absolute awesome book.
It has love, responsibility and adventure.
Thanks to Kalki for the happy ending...
Awesome king and her daughter
surprisingly... I like some more characters Valli , her grand father and kullan...Kullan is very interesting char..

Totally complete package.. :-)
Vignesh
A novel talks about King Narasimha Varman who flourished at South India and his courage . This story happend at nearly 7th century . Point is during his reign Pallava dynasty was at its heights .But none of us had known what would happen after 300 Years . The rise of king Raja Raja Cholan !
Cherma
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tamil, fiction
I read this novel immediately after finishing Sivagamiyin Sabatham. just like Ponniyin Selvan this novel also about Chozha dynasty. Most of the characters in Sivagamiyin Sabatham used in this novel as well. One can get similar thrill of Sivagamiyin Sabatham by reading both back to back.
Chiththarthan Nagarajan
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm glad that I read this book after completing Sivagamyun Sabatham. I missed Narasimha Varman more than anything. I am happy to read about cholas after long time.

This book is must read for the lovers of Sivagamyun Sabatham.

Kalki never fails to amuse me.
Karthik Bhartahamani
Very Good narration.Hope kalki got the inspiration to wrote ponniyin selvan from this novel but we are able to find the mystery character very easily. Still this is very good book to read. Read before ponniyin selvan.
Shyam Kumar
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an exquisite tale, beautifully detailed and brought to life by the painstaking historical research that brings the era to life. My only regret would be in reading a translation vis a vis the original. Being reasonably fluent in Tamil, I can clearly see certain phrases and certain parts would be a delight to read in Tamil. Pick up the original if you can. Otherwise, this is a brilliant read. I havent read much else but this translated version of Kalki's work, but I can see why he has achieve ...more
Sivakamiyin Sabadham - English Translation 1 20 Oct 08, 2012 11:22PM
  • ஜே ஜே சில குறிப்புகள்
  • யவன ராணி [Yavana Rani]
  • வேங்கையின் மைந்தன் [Vengaiyin Maindhan]
  • பிரிவோம் சந்திப்போம் [Pirivom Santhipom] (#2)
  • உடையார், #3 [Udayar]
  • கருவாச்சி காவியம் [Karuvachi Kaviyam]
  • பாரதியார் கவிதைகள் [Bharathiyar Kavidhaigal]
  • மனிதனுக்குள் ஒரு மிருகம் [Manithanukkul Oru Mirugam]
Kalki (Tamil: கலகி) was the pen name of R. Krishnamurthy (Tamil: ரா. கிருஷணமூரததி) (September 9, 1899–December 5, 1954), a noted Tamil writer, film & music critic, Indian independence activist and journalist from Tamil Nadu, India. ...more
More about Kalki...