Start by marking “Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet” as Want to Read:

(Manga Classics)

A classic Shakespearean tragedy, Romeo and Juliet is the tale of two star-crossed young lovers who dare to defy their feuding families, put aside all obstacles, and find happiness together - but at a tremendous cost. This grimly beautiful tale, set in the Renaissance Italy, follows Romeo and Juliet from their hateful first meeting to their last.

Manga Classics brings
Published May 31st 2018 by UDON Entertainment (first published May 15th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Manga Classics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manga Classics

Start your review of Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet
Julie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Romeo and Juliet- Manga Classics – by William Shakespeare, by Stacy King, Crystal S. Chan (Adaptation), Julien Choy (Art), Akanovas (Lettering), Jeannie Lee (Lettering)

There is no need to go into the synopsis or plot of one of William Shakespeare’s most famous plays. We all know the basics of this story by now. Many have read the play in school or have seen a stage or movie adaptation at one point. So, I think it is safe to skip the analysis.

For me, Manga is something I flat out ignored for
[Shai] Bibliophage
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm a fan of the Manga Classics that's why I'm already aware that the publisher, Udon Entertainment, always use the original text from the book they were adapting. I know Romeo and Juliet but I still haven't read the book either watch any stage play or movie adaptation, hence, I'm eager to check out this manga adaptation.
Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet
This is the first time that I've rated a Manga Classics low because of it's not that easy to comprehend what the characters are saying because they are in Early Modern
Amy Leigh
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is a brilliant adaptation of William Shakespeare's work of genius. The artwork is gorgeous and fits seamlessly in with Shakespeare's original text to form a breathtaking view of Romeo and Juliet. This has always been a favorite classic of mine and I adore the adaptations I have come across like the movie that stars Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCarprio. This manga enthralled me and fully captivated the essence of the original work. I highly recommend this version to anyone studying this ...more
Roobie
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I never really loved Romeo & Juliet's story but anyone who likes it and is a fan of manga should give this one a try. It was a lovely adaptation.
Can't wait for more Manga Classics stories.
Aya Hamza
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, classics
I have been loving these manga classics, but this one is not my favorite!

English is not my first language, so I always struggle with reading classics, and I think that's why I didn't enjoy this one as I hoped to. And they used the Shakespeare's original text which I honestly don't fully understand.
I kept looking up words and many phrases confused me and I kept guessing the meaning. I know the fault is on me because I couldn't fully immerse myself in the manga with this writing and I hoped it
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
I have never read Romeo and Juliet so I can't compare the original classic with this manga. To me, this manga was nicely drawn and delivered the emotions of love and despair. I enjoyed reading it.
Elliot A
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I was auto-approved by the publisher Udon Entertainment through NetGalley to review this title.
Not my favourite Shakespeare play, but one I read a few times within the last decade, I find it to be somewhat overly dramatic and not very romantic. Regardless, I appreciated the effort that was put into creating a comic out of this play.
The artwork combined various elements that helped to emphasize the characters personalities. It was harsh and beautiful; at times too busy, other times perfectly
♛ Garima ♛
I felt completely lost reading this maybe because I haven't read the original or translation or know anything about it...Shakespeare is difficult to read but I never realised he would be hard to read in Manga as well...
Arybo ✨
“Two households, both alike in dignity
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life;

Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Doth with their death bury their parents' strife.
The fearful passage of their death-marked love
And the continuance of their parents' rage,
Which, but their children's end, naught could remove,
Is now the
Carmen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Call me a cinic, but I've never seen the great romantic love story everybody seems to see in Romeo and Juliet. The verses that stick in my mind are not "a Rose by any other name would smell as sweet" or "it is not yet near day:it was the nightingale, and not the lark" but Tybalt's "a plague to both your houses". Because everytime I come to this play -no matter the format-I see the characters' mistakes -which are our own-. How wrong and sometimes ridiculous our choices are. I'm not sure how ...more
Josephine
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
3 stars.

Thank you to Udon Entertainment for having auto-approved me on Netgalley to read these!

I love these manga editions of the classics because they make the stories I would otherwise be unable to get through a lot easier and much more entertaining to read. Most classics just aren't for me, because the plot is too boring or the language too difficult. My favourite was definitely The Count of Monte Cristo, but I've read a few others and though they aren't necessarily more exciting I'm
Jordanne
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

4 stars

So this is the fourthManga ClassicI've read and needless to say I'm officially a fan. My method with this series is to review the adaption more than the story because really you can't review it as a story since its based off another book (that I've likely read and therefore reviewed).

Since I have not actually readRomeo and JulietI can't exactly do that but I happen to know this book is taken word for word from the OG so
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Netgalley #23

Many thanks go to Udon and Netgalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.
This is their first Shakespeare play in this format. For teachers lesson plans are available on their website. As pointed out there are excellent examples of metaphors through drawings that can be discussed in class. Shakespeare was always difficult for me to grasp as a middle schooler. This is an exemplary way to teach to kids, especially those who need a visual to make words
Ritika Chhabra
Follow Just A Girl High On Books for more reviews.

Thank you Netgalley for a digital edition of this copy. (It was a protected DRM.)

I want to start with why did I pick up this book in the first place. The reason was obvious, eh. It was the classic Romeo and Juliet that everyone adores. (To be honest, I find the story rather foolish, especially thinking how the two were just teenagers. I mean, isn't that what we tell teenagers these days? That you are just a kid—you have no idea what love is?) I
Nicole
Aug 19, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf, graphic, ebooks
The artwork is so beautiful, I just hate the story with a burning passion. I thought I could make it, since it's in Manga form but I get terrible flashbacks from highschool and nervous twitching in my eye. So dnf!!!
Andrea Way
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
These are an enjoyable series. I love the adaptation of the classic Romeo and Juliet tale. I think if Shakespeare was around today he would appreciate this faithful adaptation of his classic tale of two lovers in fair Verona. Really do recommend this series.
Nana Spark
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
That was... a bit much.
The art in this manga is very good and is does a good job of symbolizing the emotions of the people on the page. The 17th century dialogue however is where it lost me. I could understand most of what was happening on the pages from glimpses of modern English and the art but other than that I was lost. From what I could understand I enjoyed for the most part, the forbidden romance angst was a bit much for me, and from what I couldn't I skimmed.

Another Manga classic I can
Chelon
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Another excellent reincarnation of a classic that my teens enjoyed. If you have children who are slow readers or nonreaders these books are an excellent way to expose them to classic tales in a format that it is easy to understand and will hold their attention.

I was given an ARC for my honest opinion.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet from NetGalley and Udon Publishing in exchange for a fair and honest review.

So on the off chance you haven’t heard me say this, and thus aren’t totally sick of me repeating myself, I’m going to say it again: I absolutely love the concept of Manga Classics. I love them for many reasons. It’s always fun to reread a classic, but even more so it’s very refreshing to read them in a new medium, such as this. Manga Classics condenses the larger
Maud
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stand-alone
I got an e-copy of this from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. All opinions, as always, are my own.

I really liked the thought of Shakespeare in manga format. However, I don't think it works at all! This has nothing to do with the art style (which I think is beautiful, especially the characters of Juliet, Romeo and Juliet's mother) but just that I don't think Romeo and Juliet is suited for a manga adaptation while keeping the original text. Shakespeare isn't known for being
Kitty Marie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-manga, manga
Another good entry into the Manga Classics line. I enjoyed this more than Macbeth, but then I am something of a hopeless romantic so all the scenes with Romeo and Juliet were quite charming to watch.

I love the art style. It is very in line and current with the conventions of shoujo (girls) manga from the 2010s. The characters are prettily detailed and cute. In particular, Romeo, Juliet, Mercutio, and Paris are so attractively drawn.

I love how the style did well in capturing Mercutio’s
Teresa
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Romeo and Juliet is the tale of two teenagers who meet and fall in love instantly. The problem is, they are star-crossed lovers. Because their stars are crossed, they are not fated to be together, but continue to fight against fate's will. Juliet's house Capulet and Romeo's house Montague have been warring for ages, and to be seen together would mean trouble. The day of their marriage, fate still aims to intervene in their love. When the friar comes up with a plan for the two to leave Verona ...more
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review
Title: Romeo and Juliet (Manga Classics)
Author: Crystal S. Chan (Adaptation), Julien Choy (Art), William Shakespeare (From the original play by), Akanovas (Lettering), Jeannie Lee (Lettering)
Genre: Classic/Manga
Rating: *****
Review: So, everyone and their mother knows Romeo and Juliet but if anyone has tried to read and/or study Shakespeare it is a pain to read, so I was thrilled to get hold of the manga classics version of one of my favourite star-crossed lovers stories ever. In the
Ivana de B.

Stacy King is a marvelous writer. I love her manga adaptations of classics (even though I've only read two so far). I enjoy her adaptation even more due to the fact that she puts so much research into her work - you can clearly see that in the final pages of the manga where she explains how she visited the locations mentioned in the story and puts her sketches.

I enjoyed the art very much and the characterisation through it. For example, I loved that every
Read by Coco ✨
“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet”

I mean... it’s Romeo & Juliet. We all know R&J, and I feel like even people who haven’t read the play, or aren’t a fan of Shakespeare will still know the basics of the story. Forbidden love, a hasty marriage, murder, tragedy...

I honestly don’t want to talk much about the story because I’m more reviewing the artwork and way the story was told through manga. As this is literally just the story with accompanying art, but don’t get me wrong...
Jenny Clark
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This was a good adaptation of the classic play. I have read one other and that is the Manga Shakespeare series version.
This one has several advantages-this one is longer and so can have scenes that were cut out of the other one, and this one also is set in the time period the play is.
Though this keeps the original language, it is fairly easy to follow, thanks to the art. I do like the fact that a lot of Shakespeare's puns were left completely alone. The art did make some of them easier to
Alicia
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was back into the play lickety-split! This adaptation was phenomenal for the fact that it kept the original language, moved quickly within each scene and around Verona, and capturing the passion of the characters on all sides: Capulet and Montague.

Some of the character sketches were a bit odd, but the interpretation of metaphors (as it discusses in the back) help with visual understanding of the old Shakespearean language and the action moves quickly. It pulls the readers in and those that
Alexandra
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A good visual to the play. Doesn't given modern English translations or scene descriptions (obviously). For those who like Manga or want to have that visual before reading the play in school. Do get introduced to the characters, and at the end you get a visual of their swords and character design which is nice to see.
FTLOReading
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading Macbeth by the same company I was excited to see what they would produce with Romeo and Juliet. While this is not my favorite Shakespeare production this was still an interesting adaptation. My one complaint was the flow of the speaking parts. If you are not previously familiar with the piece you may not be able to follow the correct direction of the dialogue. Outside of that its still a lovely version visually and a nice addition to your shelf if your are a fan of The Bard.
Cathleen
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I love manga so decided to give this a try even though it isn't a favorite plot.

The cover is beautiful and the art shows the youth of the main characters. I ddin't care for how some side characters looked.

I appreciated this more after reading the behind the scenes information. Most of it I didn't realize ans I was impressed.

But the subject still isn't something I care to read again.

I received a free ARC from Netgalley.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Vol. 5
  • Manga Classics: A Midsummer Night's Dream
  • The Iliad
  • フェアリーテイル 59 [Fearī Teiru 59] (Fairy Tail, #59)
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • Arisa, Vol. 08 (Arisa, #8)
  • Kilala Princess, Vol. 04
  • Belle's Tale (Disney Beauty and the Beast, #1)
  • Cowboy Bebop, Vol. 1
  • Thief of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore #1)
  • Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)
  • Deep scar, Tome 1
  • Mooncakes
  • Queer Heroes: Meet 53 LGBTQ Heroes From Past and Present!
  • Coral
  • Baby: A Soppy Story
  • Arisa, Vol. 03 (Arisa, #3)
  • Arisa, Vol. 02 (Arisa, #2)
Hi there! I'm a Toronto-based writer and editor who works in both prose and graphic novel formats, usually for younger readers.

My current projects include:

Dungeons and Dragons Young Adventurer's Guides - introducing new players to the classic role-playing game through amazing new artwork and streamlined prose.

Manga Classics - faithful adaptations of western literary classics with Japanese-style

Manga Classics (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Manga Classics: Les Misérables