Start by marking “Dying for a Living” as Want to Read:
Dying for a Living

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Dying for a Living

(Dying for a Living #1)

And you thought dying once would be hard...

On the morning before her 67th death, it is business as usual for agent Jesse Sullivan: meet with the mortician, counsel soon-to-be-dead clients, and have coffee while reading the latest regeneration theory. Jesse dies for a living, literally. Because of a neurological disorder, she is one of the population's rare 2% who can serv
Kindle Edition, second edition, 328 pages
Published March 1st 2017 by Timberlane Press (first published March 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dying for a Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying for a Living

Robin (Bridge Four)
3.75 Necronite Stars

This was an unexpected surprise. I almost never get freebees from Amazon because…well I’m snobby and my reading time I usually spend with books I know I’ll probably like and I’ve been burned by doing that before. But I had a free spot to fill with a buddy read and so I picked it up.

The good thing was I REALLY LIKED IT. I read quite a bit of fantasy. It is my go to and so I also read a lot of Urban Fantasy. What I enjoyed about this is that it is different. SO DIFFERENT from e
Dianne
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should we laugh? Should we cry? We ARE talking about a story of death, over and over and over for one necronite who dies so others may live when their time is up. Yep, there’s a new paranormal being in town and they are “dying” to be read about! Kory M. Shrum’s DYING FOR A LIVING is about humans born with a special gift, the ability to rise from the dead, kind of like zombies, but with all of their parts intact and no human body parts on the menu. But wait, there’s more, they make a living dying ...more
Abigail
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Somehow this lovely book fell from library heaven into my lap. I cannot even remember how, but I believe it was the author looking for people who read her genre. Suffice it to say I lost my mind into the happy zone of awesomeness which is the book.

I love Urban Fantasy reads and like other people have said the one thing which has happened, just like with zombie reads (yes this is an important thing to mention in conjunction with this book), the fact is the genre has reached the “been there done
Yodamom
Yes Yoda time:
What a fresh take on the zombie experience. These zombies don't crave brains they take your death, for a price.
So there you are at you favorite psychic and she tells yo that you are going to die on blah blah day. What is a living breathing person to do ? Call for a zombie replacement to take your death, (DUH) pain and all while you walk away a little broke but warm and alive.
It's so easy, except it's not.There are church groups that believe this is against god. Radicals who really
Tara Smith
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Random Person Casually Perusing Reviews To Determine What To Read Next:

Don't skip this book. Seriously. I'd say you'd regret it, except the tragedy is you'd never know how much there is to regret in not reading this. It's a delight, a lark, a profundity, a mystery, a muse. You've never read a story like this, but when you finish you'll wonder why you didn't ALWAYS know this story was out there to be told. From pacing to voice to plot, Shrum *gets* story.

Trust me. Read it.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Zombie... nope, sorry, Necronite!, 'replacing' dying people, saving their lives. Unusual premise. New ideas are rare in UF, so this was welcome, despite being a Kindle freebie. I haven't had a lot of luck with those and therefore had low expectations.

It wasn't spectacular writing, but pretty entertaining. Different from my usual fare. Surprisingly serious tone at times, although it started off pretty snarky. It took some unexpected turns as well.

A few well done info dumps. The science was a bit
Sharon
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of this book or author until the crazy Cabin Goddess Kriss Morton came banging on my Facebook wall about an urban fantasy I had to read. Based on the cover I probably wouldn’t have given it much thought, but Kriss was so insistent and the blurb sounded interesting enough I thought why not?! Talk about a gem in the rough! The rough is the cover and the inside is pure magic. I devoured this story.

When reading a first person it's the voice of the character that has to grab you and
T
Very imaginative and fun plot. I love paranormal plots and smart ass main characters. Smart writing , intriguing story that i want to read more of... But the direction this went with lane and ally really pissed me off. It seemed clear who she loved and who she should pick... but she's supposedly scared of relationships. well that excuse didn't last. So is the mc scared to have a relationship with a woman, or is the author scared to write it. It would have been better without any romance at all. ...more
Dennis
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't been this excited about a new author since Cherie Priest.

Instantly loved the writing style. I think what I liked most about it is how authentic she writes. So many times I thought, that's the type phrase I've heard people say in that situation before. Or I have said.

Look forward to listening to Kory tell me more stories.

The characters make you care about them. Interesting worldview and storyline.

EDIT:
Wanted to add, what's so exciting for me about finding a new author like Kory or Cherie
Goosegirl
Without all the bi sexual relationship crap this book would have been so much better. Their screwed up love triangle was just frustrating and made me not like this story as much.

I think what pissed me off most about their love triangle was that it didn't even add to the story at all. This book would have been much better off without that crap. Why couldn't Ally just be her childhood friend and Lane be her friend as well? Or just make Lane the love interest. The whole childhood friends but now w
Corrie
The first of a whole seres of books starring necronite Jesse Sullivan. Book Club buddy D. and I enjoyed the first installment. We get to know Jesse, the unusual work that she does and the people close to her. The mystery was interesting although we both found the story a bit slow at times. I hope that it will pick up the pace in the next book.
Edlira Dibrani
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting and thoughtful story by Kory M. Shrum. Enjoyed every moment of reading it.
Kelly
Nov 29, 2014 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
***DNF at 46%***

Liked the first 20% then I started to lose interest so I'm moving on.
Jessica
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the back of this book so I had no idea what I was getting myself into when Kory sent it to me, but right after a couple of pages I was hooked.

A zombie, excuse me, necronite, as the main character? How unique!

And our protagonist Jessi, is altogether likeable. Her two love interests, although forming the proverbial love triangle which I often shy away from, were also likeable and interesting in their own ways. And they both mattered to the movement of the plot.

Mystery, sex, murder, p
Caragh
May 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I liked the concept, but would have liked a bit more background on the Necronite phenomenon. Of course the pov character, Jesse, isn't exactly the type to have that knowledge at her fingertips, either. I'd also have liked more background on the Church - personally I only have a basic understanding of the history of the various (major) christian schisms, but I honestly can't conceive of this reunion of sects ever happening - the zombies were more realistic. And what about the other major faiths o ...more
Taylor Knight
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never heard of this book before but when I seen a friend had read it and loved it, I wanted to check it out right away. I wasn't sure what to expect but I had fairly high hopes. Dying for a Living definitely surpassed expectations.

Right from the being, this book caught my attention. The main character, Jesse, is so funny and sarcastic. She's
independent and kicks a lot of butt. I've never read a book with a character like Jesse. I really enjoyed her as a character.

The concept of this book i
Bonnie
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cass
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, freebies
3,5/5
Lorna
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book a couple of days ago and it was so different and readable that I could not put the book down. When the premise of a book causes me to ignore my huge “to be read” pile, you have to know I loved it.
Jesse Sullivan is a rarity in this world that the author has created. She is what is known as a Necronite, or as some people call her-Zombie(just don’t let her hear you call her that!). Jesse works for an agency that does death replacement. In other words, she takes the place of the pe
a_tiffyfit
Full review to come soon, but KINDLE.BRUISER. Loved this! So unique!
**************************
This book doesn't even come out until March! I've been frustrated with amazon for no reason because I wanted to gift a copy to a friend of mine! Hahaha, I feel like a fool. I had requested a copy from the author for a Read & Review and I loved it! Obviously, right, since I was trying to find a copy for my friend whose birthday is today.

While this does have "Zombies" in it, don't you dare use that
Memorable Reading
Nov 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
My impression is that this book is a work in progress. It's an interesting premise, definitely a creative concept. It was well-paced in the first few chapters, offering an interesting, suspenseful mystery that I was expecting to be pulled into but then it just fell apart. New characters were introduced only to disappear for chapters at a time, and each chapter seemed to introduce a new plot or worse, offered details that were not even relevant to the plot (only further details about the world). ...more
Jen
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, reviews
Abandoned -DNF - 55%

There were some good parts, but the book is too long and a lot of the scenes felt unnecessary.

The "love triangle" was annoying. The Main Characters reluctance to be in any type of relationship was constantly brought up and it was constantly mentioned that she was only in it "for the sex" anyways. Why the 2 love interests would stay and let themselves be constantly hurt is mind-boggling.

I like the concept of the book, but I felt it was poorly handled. You barely experience th
Aure   `Reading With The Dark`
Actually not a bad start for a new series. There was lots going on, so many things to be explained because of the uniqueness of the story, but I think the Author managed quite well. However I felt that there was something missing, some spark. Maybe just for me, but I was expecting much more. All and all this was a pleasant read. I didn't loved it, but I liked it.
Usually if I start a new series with more than one book already published I'd go and read the next one.. but.. I think I'll take a lit
Ailyn
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
First part of a fun urban fantasy where Jesse Sullivan the zombie *ahem* necronite works as a dying substitute. While Jesse's attitude towards the whole thing is a little bit harsh, even though she gets paid, I have to admit dying again and again is not a very fun thing to do.

So when someone tries to kill her off for good, Jesse sets to find out who and why. The ending is a good surprise. I was pleased to find that people can still surprise me. Oh well.

And don't BEG for a review, BUY and SUPPORT
Jade
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I've gone through the reviews expecting to see some 3/5 and 4/5, however I am happily mistaken. It seems everyone loves this book as much as I do, it was fast paced, brilliant humour, a pug for Christ sakes!
The only reason why I didn't give this a 5/5 was because at the beginning it didn't hook me, don't get me wrong it's a great plot but about a quarter way through i didn't think "okay I need to read more" because it didnt hook me (at the time). But once the ball got rolling it had everything
Sherri Moorer
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book! Fast paced, intriguing characters, full of suspense, and imaginative. I couldn't out this book down. A definite winner, and highly recommended.
Hollow Well
Jesse has some relationship issues. She's fond of both Ally (f) and Lane (m). This is the least of her problems. Jesse has a fairly rare condition that causes her to be able to resurrect when she is killed. Combined with another set of talented individuals who can guess when someone will die to within a 24 hour period, Jesse now works as a professional "replacement" - which means when death comes knocking, Jesse replaces the true target in death. It works great as long as her head stays connecte ...more
Cheryl
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why, oh why did I leave this novel sitting in my Kindle for so long? This was Awesome!!

Fabulously written with sassy wit and an entirely fresh premise in the urban fantasy genre. It literally had a bit of everything in it.

There was the zombie component. (Necronites, necronites! How very un-PC of me.) Although they're not really zombies in the normal sense, but they are undead .... or should that be multiple dead?
There was the cloak and dagger-ness of the FBRD (which is the governing body of the
Chyina
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I loved this book and found it hard to put down. It's imaginative, keeps you guessing, laughing and on the edge of you seat.

I'm not sure if the concept of this book has been done before, but if it has, I haven't read or seen anything like it. Very inventive and creative on Shrum's part.

The characters are likable and funny. The setting pulls you into the environment with just enough description to not be overpowering. There were also several twists that I hadn't seen coming, which
Advanced Copies f...: Giveaway: Dying for a Living! 1 9 Oct 07, 2014 10:14AM
Book Giveaways: Giveaway: Dying for a Living! 1 7 Oct 07, 2014 10:14AM
  • Hush (Dragon Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Guardians (The Guardians, #1)
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • The Vanishing (Return of the Aliens #1)
  • The League of Doorways (Doorways, #2)
  • The Tegen Cave
  • Claimed by the Enemy
  • Follow the Crow (Vanished, #1)
  • Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1)
  • Run (The Hunted #1)
  • Death Embraces (Mortis, #2)
  • Indigo Moon (Garoul, #3)
  • Special Offers  (Coursodon Dimension #1)
  • Death by Didgeridoo (Jamie Quinn Mystery #1)
  • Dead of Night (Ghosts & Magic, #1)
  • Days Gone Bad (Vesik, #1)
  • Kick (Jenkins Cycle, #1)
  • The Blood of Brothers (Sycamore Moon #2)
Visit Kory's website to receive three books from her free starter library: www.korymshrum.com/free-starter-library

Kory M. Shrum is an award-winning and USA TODAY bestselling author of fantasy and thrillers--and something else that's a bit of each. She's an active member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Horror Writers of America, and the Four Horsemen of the Bookocalypse, where sh

Dying for a Living (7 books)
  • Dying by the Hour (Dying for a Living, #2)
  • Dying for Her (Dying for a Living, #3)
  • Dying Light (Dying for a Living, #4)
  • Worth Dying For (Dying for a Living, #5)
  • Dying Breath (Dying for a Living, #6)
  • Dying Day (Dying for a Living, #7)
“I was a terribly simple girl when it came to problems and my plate was so full the vegetables were falling off.” 3 likes
“Jesse?” A small sheepish voice asked.” 2 likes