Start by marking “Pashmina” as Want to Read:
Pashmina

Pashmina

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  5,813 ratings  ·  1,034 reviews
Priyanka Das has so many unanswered questions: Why did her mother abandon her home in India years ago? What was it like there? And most importantly, who is her father, and why did her mom leave him behind? But Pri’s mom avoids these questions―the topic of India is permanently closed.

For Pri, her mother's homeland can only exist in her imagination. That is, until she find a
Published (first published October 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Pashmina, please sign up.

·  5,813 ratings  ·  1,034 reviews

Elyse Walters
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Nidhi Chanani, was born in India, and raised in Southern California. This
gorgeously Illustrated graphic novel had to be - must have been - somewhat inspired by her own memories ( at least at one point in her developmental growing years), a search for her own cultural identity.

Her artwork is so stunning ( first black and white - then moves into incredible colorful colors) - that I actually just flipped through this lovely 5 by 7 size silky paper book looking at the drawings - before settl
Lola
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
A graphic novel with an Indian American teenager who wants to know more about her country, family and culture? The day I say no to diverse stories will never, ever come.

Priyanka lives in the US with her mom who left India when she was her age. Priyanka knows little about India, and when her mom does tell her about the life girls live there and how they have less choices than in the US, Priyanka thinks she’s exaggerating.

Ms. Chanani created a realistic teenage heroine other teenagers will under
David Schaafsma
Pashmina is a strong girl character comics volume featuring an Indian-American family that reminds (because of the strong ethnic girl aspect) of the Pakistani-Muslim Kamala Khan, aka Ms. Marvel. I wish the artwork of this debut graphic novel weren’t quite so cartoony and the story had more to offer than culture clashes, (and a young aspiring to be a comics star as main character), but I am glad to see more diversity in comics for girls. Glad to see Indian-American culture represented in comics.
Calista
A story about identity and knowing where you came from. A teenager whose mom came from India wonders about her dad and her past. She and her mom are not having the best relationship right now. The girl wants to go to India and the mother will never step foot there again.

The girl does go on a trip to see her aunt. We see India through the eyes of how it use to be and how it is now. It is an interesting story. There is plenty of angst here. Even once she knows more of her history, it doesn’t fix
Idarah
fullsizeoutput_84f

This was a beautifully illustrated middle grade graphic novel! I loved learning about Indian culture, new words in Hindi, and the magical realism. That being said, I felt like the actual story was a bit weak and disjointed. Wasn't a waste of time, but felt like the plot could have been better executed, as well as the characters.
rachel
This was a sweet contemporary graphic novel about an Indian-American teen wanting to learn more about her heritage. I thought the cartoonish art style worked really well to convey the coming-of-age themes and make it appeal to both middle grade and older readers. There was some great commentary on identity and self-discovery but, ultimately, it failed to really delve into these topics.

My biggest problem was the weak plotline. Chanani’s attempt to touch upon several different issues - from bully
First Second Books
Oct 03, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications  ·  review of another edition
Pashmina is heartfelt young adult graphic novel about an Indian-American teen's attempt to reconnect with her mother’s homeland through a magical pashmina shawl. Follow Pri as she realizes that the India of her imagination is not like the real india, and as she learns the truth to he magical pashmina's origin.
Erica
Priyanka is learning to drive, likes to create comics, has a cool best friend, has a mean blonde enemy, and lives with her mother in California. Her life is fairly standard until two things happen: 1) her beloved uncle and aunt are going to have a baby and she won't see them as often so she 2) asks Shakti to please get rid of the baby because they don't need it, they have her. Soon after, she finds a magical pashmina that transports her to romantic India, making her want to find out about her he ...more
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I think this is made for children more than teenagers or young adults. I really wanted to like the book but I found the art kind of weak, the story disassembled and prosaic. It needed more work and more details, to build the characters, fantasy, issues from family to jealousy and bullying, traditions and origins and so on, it's all mentioned but it felt empty somehow.

The story is about teenage Priyanka, who lives with her single mom in California. She wants to know who her father is, she wants t
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Loved the art, loved the storyline, loved the honest depictions of India, loved Priyanka. A short and sweet graphic novel that more people should read.
Dov Zeller
There are so many things to love about this book. It's sweet, whimsical, beautiful, instructive. There are courageous, mutually supportive, spiritually connected, defiant women in here. And the protagonist, Priyanka, goes on a journey of self-discovery. Her mother is from India, and Priyanka grows up in the U.S. and Priyanka decides she wants to go visit her aunt in India.

Actually, Priyanka goes on a few different journeys of self-discovery. She tries to sort through the question of father figur
Julie
This was beautiful drawn and the coloring was brilliant. I also loved how it didn't shy away from using Indian terms and short hand, not taking the time to explain or simplify it for white audiences. As well as being a fascinating, feminist story about women's choice, I learned a lot and I cannot wait to shove this at everyone.
Jeimy
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Priyanka discovers a magical Pashmina that allows her to see things others can't. When a letter from her aunt arrives from India, she is convinced that is where her destiny lies. This book takes us along as Priyanka is forced both to mature and to come to terms with her culture and heritage. A must for middle-school students who enjoy graphic novels.
Elizabeth A
This is a cute coming of age story. Priyanka Das has questions. Why did her Mom leave India? What happened, and where/who is her father? Why is the topic of India closed? One day she discovers a mysterious pashmina in her mother's closet, and when she wraps the shawl around herself something magical happens. But things are not quite what they seem.

I love that there is another comic book (nod to Ms. Marvel) that has Indian Americans as the main characters, and that some cultural themes show up on
Danielle
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
This graphic novel completely drew me in, and I read it in one go. The very first page sets up the mother-daughter relationship beautifully, establishing tension, humor, and the desire these two characters have to connect.

At its heart, it's a story about choices. The choices the main character, Priyanka makes, some of which she regrets, but all of which are fuel for self-discovery. The choices the women in her family, and other women in India, have made, or felt compelled to make. The choices,
Stefanie
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enchanting graphic novel with so many important life lessons for middle schoolers! Loved the scenes in color where Priyanka is magically transported to India when she wraps the pashmina around herself. A beautiful story of empowerment and choosing your own destiny.
La Coccinelle
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a weird little book. I don't mind elements of magic in contemporary stories, but this book has a few problems that prevented me from enjoying it more.

The main issue I had was that I'm not sure who the audience is. The main character is probably around 16 (she's learning to drive, and it's mentioned that her mother was her age when she got pregnant), and there are some definite heavier issues dealt with in the story (family drama, a sick baby, abandonment, poverty). However, the pashmina
Tam_ the_ med_bookie
The illustration is okay. The story has not much to tell. The characters are sweet yet so many questions are left unanswered.
More focus was given to the illustration rather than the proper story or the plot.
The story tried to say some things about the lives in India and the US but it failed to do so.
*A good one time read for kids.
Jen
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookexpo-2017
Meh. Got this for a cousin who is a reluctant reader because this is in comic book form, which she enjoys. The artwork was good, but the story didn't really resonate with me. I was pissed with the mom not telling her daughter sooner about the father. Like, it wasn't a huge deal, but she was making it out like it was some tragic secret. It could have been used as a good learning experience for the daughter, instead of hidden.

I hope my cousin likes it. We'll see. Three, I wasn't moved, but it's m
Christy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the chance to see Nidhi speak at SDCC and have been anxiously awaiting Pashmina's release since! I absolutely loved this sweet story and recommend it to anyone looking to learn a little more about Indian culture.

Pashmina is the story of Priyanka, an Indian-American girl who is like most teens - troubling to communicate with her mother and trying to figure out who she is. She's curious about India and her father. Whenever she asks about them, her mom changes the subject. Nidhi uses facial e
Emma
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute, but the characters lacked depth and a lot of "but what about ...?" questions were unanswered. Not the most sophisticated graphic novel.
Saiesha Hinge
This was absolutely lovely!!

• Pashmina tells the story of a girl called Priyanka who stays in the US with her mother. She has never been to India and has always been fascinated by its culture.
• Her mother left the home country just before Priyanka was born and whenever she asks why they never visit India, her mother dismisses her.
• But Priyanka is adamant about going to India and so she tries to convince her mother but no luck.
• In the midst of this, she finds a very beautiful pashmina and she b
Rashika (is tired)
I've been waiting for Pashmina since I first heard it existed so when my friend got a copy, I dove into hers while I was visiting and also ended up coming home to a precious copy of my own (#SHOUTOUT.) I've already read it twice and there is a very huge possibility I'll have read it a third time before the end of the year (and even the end of the month, tbh.) SO. I THINK it's safe to say that I love Pashmina.

It's already being marketed as such but I also just think Pashmina is perfect for fans o
Raina
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicnovel, ya, feminist
Pro-voiced Review:
Priyanka feels out of place. She lives with her mother in the United States, and has never been to India, where her mother lived before Priya’s birth. Her uncle has been an important figure in her life, but when he announces that he and his wife are about to have a baby, Priya is forced to confront her heritage and insecurities in a new way. Then, she discovers a pashmina which seems to have magical properties. Chanani’s debut graphic novel is accessibly illustrated in muted to
Christina Taylor
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art, ya
I highly recommend this graphic novel. Its heartwarming navigation of the quotidien terrain of maturation, the hardship of self-discovery, and the adolescent tendency to rail against the confines of familial authority are couched in an exotic context and, thereby, acknowledge the additional layer of complexity born from juggling two cultures and two worlds while emphasizing the universal plight of growing up. Readers would like this book if they like Realistic Ficiton, Low Fantasy, or Magical Re ...more
Greyson Richter | Use Your Words
This was so stinking cute!
I loved the artwork and how the story went. The sexism bothered me but I understand that they're common scenarios for other cultures.

I read this book as part of my 2018 Library Love binge, where I read as many library books as possible to take advantage of my great local library network before I move interstate!
___
BlogInstagramTwitterTumblr
Maryam
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were really beautiful so I added a star just for that. It was a cute story, think it could've benefitted from being a lot longer though. Too juvenile for my taste.
Mandy
The art was gorgeous- ESPECIALLY in the full color parts. Chanani is definitely one talented artist, and I super need to investigate more of her art. Just the richness and life she brings to her work is wonderful. However, the storyline was a bit dull for me, and I felt there wasn't quite a linear storyline. I mean, I in no way saw the ending coming at all, and I didn't feel like there was too much of a resolution. I also didn't find the main character that likeable. I wasn't drawn into her stor ...more
Magical_Bookworm
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
I really liked this book but I didn't lobe it. I loved Priyanka's relationship with her mother. I loved how we got to learn about India and Indian culture. I loved the magic in this. I just think some things needed to be more fleshed out and explained more.
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {and so on}
"Life isn't simple anywhere, Priyanka."

Priyanka Das is a budding comic book artist, determined to make something great from her experience as a first-generation American from an Indian family.
She struggles with the changes in her life, like her uncle Jatin and his wife having their first baby, making less space for Pri in their lives, and the bullying she faces at school.

When her relationship with her mother boils over, and her aunt and uncle disappear from her life altogether, Pri has a terribl

• All's Faire in Middle School
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • All Summer Long
  • Bolivar
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • Brave (Awkward, #2)
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)
  • Cici's Journal: The Adventures of a Writer-In-Training
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • The Tea Dragon Society
  • Be Prepared
Nidhi Chanani is a freelance illustrator, cartoonist and writer. After completing her undergrad literature degree at the University of California at Santa Cruz, Nidhi pursued a career in non-profits. The desire to draw kept pulling her away and in 2008 she enrolled in art school (only to drop out a year later). In 2009 she began completing one illustration every day of the week. She called this Ev ...more