Start by marking “Stormsurge (Shepherdsville, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stormsurge (Shepherdsville, #1)

Stormsurge

(The Shepherdsville Series #1)

Lacey Underwood has struggled to build her life, and her small business, in her little hometown of Shepherdsville. Then a storm changes everything. With a car on the blink and a hurricane barreling towards her, she must find her way to safety. When her high school friend, the sweet but nerdy Gene Blackwell, finds her stranded in front of her feed store, she can barely beli ...more
Published February 13th 2018 by MiBear Tales

To ask other readers questions about Stormsurge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormsurge

Start your review of Stormsurge (Shepherdsville, #1)
Lynne Moody
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A loveable storyline that draws you in . The characters were endearing and delightful to read. Can't wait to read more from this author. ...more
Lila Diller
Loved it!! Couldn't put it down -- I read it all it one sitting!

I got this book purely because I love the cover. Then it stayed in my Kindle queue for over a year. I can't believe I didn't treat myself to this sooner! I think I was scared that the story wouldn't live up to the cover. It sure did!

I loved the characters! I love the flawed thinking of both. I loved the backstory that was woven throughout but never too much. I loved the feisty grandma. I loved the details of the tornado and hurrica
Paty
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first story form Shawn Lynn Brooks and I truly loved it!
I have to say I love small town romances, but this one was so sweet I fell in love with the story, especially with Lacey and Gene.
Gene, a true genius as his name may imply, has a quiet and peaceful life in Atlanta, far away from the bullies that thought him a geek and from Lacey, to whom he was never strong enough to let his feelings show.
So when he finds Lacey in Sheperdsville, in front of her store, stranded and hanging on for
Kaye
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BUCKLE UP!!! YOU'RE IN FOR A SURPRISE!!!
Ok, I'm just gonna jump in head first. If you think I'm just going to tow the line with some semblance of thought. Boy are you in for a surprise. I could tell you how much I enjoyed reading this amazing tale. Or I could tell you how realistic and believable the characters and scenes were that I felt a part of it. I could even tell you that the detailed descriptions were pure magic. But you think you know that. You've read the blurb and know what the other
Pat
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Others have told you about the book, I just want to tell you how I loved the interaction between the hero & heroine. Add in her car breaks down with a hurricane on the way & she's stuck in her store. Very realistic, great scenes and the author has a way of taking you into the action and making you feel what the characters are going through. I read this in one sitting so that tells you how good this book is.

This is the first book I've read by this author and I received it as an ARC. No expectati
Cynthia L. Turner
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gene and Lacey

What a delightful story. Gene and Lacey have known each other since junior high school. Eugene (Gene) has a genius level IQ, a super job, and a great 👍 life in Atlanta, GA. Gene comes back to his small town to help his Grandmother evacuate from an approaching storm. As he leaves town, he runs into his school crush Lacey. Gene and Lacey learn a lot about themselves and each other. They do get their HEA. A novella that will leave the reader with a warm and happy feeling.
Nati
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gene has had a crush on Lacey for so long, but he was always the nerd guy in high school. They were just friends and he helped Lacey with maths, physics and everything in between. A tough storm is going to hit Sheperdsville and Gene comes back to made her Grandma go visit with her sister and stay away from the storm. But when he is leaving he finds Lacey in trouble again, can he help her without breaking his heart again in the process? Can Lacey discover the new Gene and face their mutual feelin ...more
Emabubby
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lacey and Gene are a realistic and believable couple in Ms. Brooks well written contemporary romance, Stormsurge. Gene was nerd in high school who unfortunately was the target of some really mean bullies. Now based in Atlanta, Gene has more or less given up on having a happy ever after with Lacey. However, never say never when a major storm can change everything. This is a delightful story well worth reading.

I received this ARC from the author and I am volunteering writing this fair and balanced
Mindy Lopez
This is Book 1 of the Shepherdsville Series and my first read by this author. It is a short, second chance romance between former high school friends, Lacey and Gene. These likable characters and the unique plot make for an interesting read. It is a small town love story with enough drama, sweetness, and humor, plus engaging secondary characters to keep the reader interested. Overall, it is an easy read to pass a lazy afternoon or a relaxing evening.
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy
Steven Allen
One of the better "clean" romance novellas that I have read in a while. If you like your romance with lots of foul language, sex and other such "gritty" flavors, Stormsurge is not the book for you. This novella is well-written and is a fast-paced read. I received Stormsurge for free otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to read it. If I received it for free, I would read other books by this author. ...more
Melissa Hayford
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Sweet second chance romance

This was a sweet second chance romance. I can't imagine storms like hurricanes and tornadoes. They sound so scary. I hope to never experience one. However, this storm is what brought Lacey and Gene back together and allowed them to be honest with each other. This was a sweet story and I hope to hear more about how they make it work in the other books in this series.
Karen
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this romantic book about Lacey and Gene. They were friends in high school but went their separate ways after graduation. They were brought together by a hurricane and tornado four years layer. Gene always loved Lacey and that love was rekindled during the storm. Lacey was afraid to give into her feelings for Gene. You will have to read the book to see if they find their HEA. I highly recommend this book.
Geraldine-Bub Fink
Great Romance Read

One guy riding a motorcycle to his hometown 3 hours away from where he has lived for the last 4 years to make sure his grandmother evacuated before the hurricane arrived accidentally comes upon his once best friend and secretly the love of his teenage years. She is stranded with her broken down car. He knows that he can't leave her behind with no help, so he takes her to his grandmother's home to ride out the hurricane. The excitement begins!
BP34
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet second chance romance of sorts. Gene and Lacey were friends as teenagers. He was a brilliant nerd and had a secret crush on her. They are reunited when he rescues her from an approaching hurricane. The chemistry is there and a roller coaster of emotions mixed with some drama as they work their way to an HEA. I read a reader copy and voluntarily chose to write a review.
Janet Graham
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tender Love Story
This is a tender love story with a hurricane as a backdrop. The story is about miscommunication and trying to read another's mind. The plot is well planned and executed. The characters are realistic and believable. I have read several of this author's stories and they are all of high quality. I received this book for free and voluntarily chose to post my honest review.
Jane
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Way too short.

Just when I was really buying in to the story, it was over ...WAY...TOO...SOON !!! I’m going on to the next one and if it ends too soon, I’m coming after you. LOL Just finished a book where the heroine died...not funny and this one ends 200 pages too soon. Thankfully, I downloaded the second book so I’m praying it’s the real deal.
Margie
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eugene (Gene) and Lacey are perfect examples of why you should never assume what someone else is thinking or means. I was never totally convinced that Gene was incorrect thinking that Lacey might have brushed him off in preference to Russ. Their interaction was fun and I found their reaction to the hurricane and the aftermath believable. I enjoyed this book.
Karina
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Stormsurge was a very quick but enjoyable read. This book was very well written and very believable. The characters are realistic and believable. The detail in this book is very vivid. This is a feel good story. I will be reading more books by Shawna Lynn Brooks.
Emily Yager
This is a great 'Second Chances' type romance. The realistic characters takes you on a sweet, magical ride as a storm quickly approaches. There are a few delightful surprises that make this a must read. ...more
Sam
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, only wished it to be longer. The setting was interesting and the characters were very likable. I am interested in reading other books in this series or by this author.

Clean (no sex)
HEA
Selina
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I loved it but I do wish it was longer! The story is cute and has some good depth that I would have liked to see explored more. And I'm a sucker for storm stories, so I had hoped for a longer storm too. But this was a joy to read! ...more
Samantha
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I really enjoyed the book. What a great way to display how we miss or bypass each other in our lack of communication and our assuming we know what the other is thinking. I really enjoyed the story around that.
Margaret Yelton
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book.
S.campbell8655yahoo.com
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and hope to read more from Shawna Lynn Brooks !
Trudy Spiller
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Actually just proof read Home again & want it added to book list
Brenda
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good realistic book. Interesting characters and plot.

I received a free copy of this book and I am freely giving my review.
Irene Langston-Butler
Good second chance love story, it is a quick read and move along a good pace.
Paula
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!! A really sweet romance. Lacey and Gene are adorable together.
Marti
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gene and Lacey. Awwww. Loved it.
Dystopian Mayhem
I didn’t like it. It started well until the two main characters in this romance finally got together. From there it was a cliche after another, except for some funny lines here and there.

• Charmed by the Cowboy (Cowboys of Ransom Creek #3)
  • Brush Creek Cowboy (Brush Creek Brides #1)
  • Christmas on Main Street (Santa’s Secret Helpers #1)
  • Falling for You (Sapphire Bay, #1)
  • The Surprise Wedding (Veils and Vows #1)
  • The Party (Dear Santa, #1)
  • The Helicopter Pilot's Bride (Brides & Beaches Romance #1)
  • Northstar Beginnings: First Instinct / Mountain Angel (Northstar Angels, #1 / Hammond Brothers #1-2)
  • Falling for Her Boss
  • Until I Die Again (Soul Change #1)
  • Longing for Forever (Sunset Bay Romance, #1)
  • On His Bended Knee (The Brides of Purple Heart Ranch, #1)
  • Chances Are (The Pacific Bay, #1)
  • Substitute Bride (Rocky Ridge, #2)
  • The Loneliest Cottage (Alaskan Hearts #1)
  • Healing Her Cowboy (Montana Secrets #1)
  • Love's Prayer (First Street Church Romances #1)
  • Rescued (McKenzie Ridge, #1)
Shawna Lynn Brooks was born in Pascagoula, Mississippi and raised everywhere else. She loves to cook, write, and read and has a special love for home improvement projects, photography and traveling. She loves Disneyworld and anywhere that she can explore ancient ruins. She has lived all over the United States and traveled all over the world, but she has always considered herself a Southerner. She ...more

The Shepherdsville Series (3 books)
  • Home Again
  • Double or Nothing (Shepherdsville Book 3)