Start by marking “The Pages of Her Life” as Want to Read:
The Pages of Her Life

The Pages of Her Life

New from the award–winning author of The Five Times I Met Myself.

How Do You Stand Up for Yourself When It Means Losing Everything?

Allison Moore is making it. Barely. The Seattle area architecture firm she started with her best friend is struggling, but at least they’re free from the games played by the corporate world. She’s gotten over her divorce. And while her dad’s rec
Published May 21st 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Pages of Her Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pages of Her Life

Kimberly Dawn
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
While undergoing tremendous life challenges, Allison receives a beautiful leather journal as a gift from a stranger.
As Allison pours out her heartache in the journal, the unexplainable occurs.....written messages appear overnight in response to her journal entries. Is it a supernatural intervention, as her mother believes? Words of hope and strength appear in the mysterious journal.
Allison’s fearful words are changed into bold statements of faith; yet oddly, her life struggles continue. What i
Martha
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever read a book and stop to wonder if it was written just for you (but you know it wasn’t)?

I can’t count many times I did that with this book. I was sitting there, absorbing the story and thinking about how real and just amazingly deep this story was.

You have several characters in the book, the sibling pair along with their mother. I hardly have words to describe it, other than this story brings to life how sometimes totally confusing life can be, when you think you are doing the right t
Joan
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Rubart has the unique skill of imagining possible ways God might work in a person. Each of his novels is an adventure in seeing God and his angels busy in the transformation process. In this one, a mysterious journal helps the main character, Allison, see her true character and who God wants her to be. A secondary character is her brother. God uses a stint on a fishing boat in Alaska to expose his character and cause transformation. Several issues are covered in these two stories, including livi ...more
Gretchen Louise
Mar 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019reads
James Rubart is a gifted author and speaker. I have always enjoyed how his way with words makes me think outside the box. However, I was disappointed in his latest book, The Pages of Her Life.

(I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.)

I firmly believe, as Allison's mom said in the book, that, "God hasn't lost his power of creativity. He can still reach people in extremely unusual ways."

Thus it was d
Becca (Reflections From My Bookshelves)
Well, It's really hard to describe this book without giving away spoilers but I will do my best. :)
I enjoyed this book immensely. The Pages of Her Life is a book that does not fit your typical story. It's like an oreo.
An outer layer and an inner layer. The outer layer is your typical story. Allison is an Architect who enjoys her job but it also pays the bills then something happens and she has to figure out what to do. Everyone sees this. The inner layer is the part where her inner thoughts, bel
Paula  Phillips
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a Christian writer, I have always enjoyed James Rubart's books as they touch on the supernatural side of miracles. In The Pages of Her Life, we meet Alison who is about to discover that her mother's life isn't as rosy and happy as she had imagined and that in learning about her mother's demise it will set her life on a completely different track that will change it eventually for the best, though it won't appear so for a wee while. She will go through trials and tribulations. The story starts ...more
Rissa
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Her father whom she loved so dearly has a secret and his secret left her mother in great debt. Then while trying to help her mother she is given a journal that makes her question everything she once knew.
I didnt bond with the characters and I felt as though there was character development missing and just an overall introduction to what was happening. We sort of just start and I didnt feel like I was brought into the story correctly...

Thank you so much to Thomas Nelson via netgalley for sending
Jessica Higgins
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you have never read a James Rubart book, you are missing out! He is one of the best authors I have ever read. The Pages of Her Life is another home run for this very talented author.

Allison Moore thought starting her own architecture firm with her best friend was going to be the best thing ever, no more working in the corporate world and having to answer to others. After her divorce and the death of her father, she needs something good in her life. While she enjoys working with her best frie
MJSH
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
"Climb the highest mountains that come into your world. Scale the city walls. Keep running even when this journey overwhelms you. Believe your bonds have been broken, Believe Jesus carried the cross of your shame. Believe in kingdom come. Not in some age to come in the future, but right now. Choose to believe the kingdom is in your midst and is here to set you free."

James Rubart really knows how to craft a compelling book that draws you in from the first page and has you pondering everything you
Andi
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: empty-shelf-2019
Whenever I begin a novel by James Rubart I know I am in for an experience I won't likely forget any time soon and this book is no different.

Like an onion this book peels off in layers with each layer revealing Allison's inner and spiritual struggles through the use of a journal. Journaling is a very private act something I do daily and I was quite impressed with the way Mr. Rubart used it and especially his ability to write from a female heroine's point of view.

The conflict that Mr. Rubart creat
Maureen Timerman
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I did enjoy the premise of this book, but at times it didn’t seem realistic, but then this is a fictional book.
The author has given us a story of a Mom, struggling with the death of her husband [and not in the way you think], and focusing more on the life of her daughter and some on her son. We also deal with both of these children forgiving their dad for playing favorites, but most of all what he has done to their mom.
While the story does revolve around a journal, and in the end, I had a person
Tanya
Jan 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
The book was promising to be interesting, certain elements of the story such as a journal and a potential mystery introduced in the ad were intriguing. However, the story just feels undeveloped, there is so much filler dialogue, and it is mostly really meaningless. It was a bit of a torture reading it. It is predictable and super simple. Why does Christian fiction have to be so boring?
Chautona Havig
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What Happens When a Good Book Lies?
It took me ages to figure out the title of this review. Once I did, I hated it—the title, I mean. Because you see, it says it all right there.

The Pages of Her Life is, in many ways, a really good book.

As a writer, Rubart knows how to wrangle words in such a way as to, in the words of James Michener, “tangle with human emotions.” He has a keen insight into humans—into the souls of people. And, he’s not afraid to probe into those souls and lay them bare for us to
Becky Lewis
“...secrets did not make for strong alliances.” And yet, in The Pages of Her Life, by James Rubart, we see a family thrown into a Twilight Zone setting by the death of the father and husband who kept unwelcome secrets. Allison, and her estranged brother, Parker, have difficulty in their lives as they try to escape the legacy of inadequacy their father bestowed upon them. An old journal and a stranger are about to shake up their lives forever.
This novel was a great reminder for me that not everyt
Kelly Bridgewater
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
James L. Rubart creates mind-bending stories of faith and takes the ideas to a new level. Rubart takes what appears to be a simple story on the surface and creates something much, much deeper to the characters. All, at least the ones I have read, of the characters transform completely by the end of the novel. With Pages of Her Life, Allison is no exception. The plot dug deep and had me questioning why Allison kept working for Dexter, who I couldn't stand from the moment I met him. He was a very ...more
Cheri Swalwell
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I couldn’t put it down. This is an author that I have really come to love and can’t wait to read even more of his books. I would suggest to the readers to read Rooms, another one of James L. Rubart’s books because it is reference in this book; however, I am going to be reading it afterwards and it hasn’t taken away from this book at all.

The characters, storylines, and intrigue in this book drew me in with the first few pages and has kept me in suspense the entire time. I
Jasmine
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Speculative fiction fans
Is finding your real self worth losing it all?

It's been a really long time since I've read a James L. Rubart book. I remember just how much I was impressed by his first book, Rooms. He reminded me a bit of Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. It's been a long time but the back cover blurb for The Pages Of Her Life really intrigued me. I mean, a journal that changes the words written by the person who holds it?! Words have power and that is never more evident than in this book.

I will have to confess th
Melissa
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bravo! Another thought-provoking, unique and meaningful book by Jim Rubart. The author's ability to take a fantastical concept and make it applicable to our everyday lives can help shine a mirror onto ourselves just as it does for the characters in the book.
I loved the return of characters from Rooms and how their story joins together with these characters' stories. This book does stand alone, but you'll miss the richness of the symmetry if you don't read Rooms first.
I really connected with Alli
Amanda
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, bookshelf
This story was very different from what I normally read...the magical realism element was something I rarely encounter in the books I tend to pick up. The story is based around a woman who is given a journal that at times changes the wording that she had written. It references the story of the writing on the wall from the book of Daniel in the Bible, which was always a fascinating story to me.

I enjoyed this story and found Allison to be very relatable. Her frustrations at work were very well wr
Erin Laramore
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

James Rubart does it again! In his unique style, he takes a completely unbelievable sounding story and brings it to life. Allison Moore finds herself in some sticky situations - some of her own doing and others that happened to her. She comes into possession of a journal that changes the words she writes in it and it further throws her into confusion as she seeks answers from God on why things are happening and what she can do about it. As the story progresses, she finds strength with s
Janice Sisemore
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The pages of her life

When I first started the book I didn’t really get into it. Actually it turned out to be a book that I really didn’t understand it until the end. I loved Allison, she was such a help to her mother. Now, Derrek was one I wasn’t too crazy about. He was a boss that wasn’t very nice to Allison but did it in a way didn’t seem mean.

Allison is given a journal. After she writes in it the words disappear or change. She keeps trying to figure out what is going on with it.

I really di
J.E. Grace
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another thought provoking and mysterious read by James Rubart.

Allison is struggling with coming to grips with her father's secret life. Her brother, Parker, is trying to figure out who he is. Add a journal that keeps changing, and an angel and you have an interesting storyline. I loved how the characters change who they believed themselves to be and end up strong victors for Christ.

The Pages of Her Life is an inspirational and enlightening story I feel we can all relate to. The story will make
Jodie Wolfe
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Pages of Her Life is the first book that I've read by Jim Rubart. I was not disappointed in any way. I found the book to be gripping, and it had a way of working into my own life and emotions as the story unfolded. Jim has a gift of storytelling that has the reader longing for more, even after the end of the book. I will be looking for more books by this author.
Amy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Pages of Her Life is another great read by James L Rubart. I give it four and a half stars. I recommend it.
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting take on how God can work in someone's life to change them. Honestly, it was a little hard to get my brain around at times. What was clear was how Allison and Parker were both trying to fix symptoms, thinking they were fixing the problem.

I believe in miracles but they are still weird to read about so the journal and the house were... odd, to say the least. Micah and Sarah were great characters and I would have loved to spend more time with them. Derrek, I never quite figured out i
Terry Conrad
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
After reading the synopsis of James Rubart's newest book, I was so anxious to read it.
Allison and her brother both feel inadequate about themselves and that they will never be good enough. Their father made it very clear that their late brother was his favorite and that he could do no wrong.
When their father dies, they find out that he has left their Mother in massive debt. Allison and her brother go separate ways to help their Mother and to try to come to terms with themselves that they are g
Kev Willoughby
"You made the choice to believe all you've come to believe."

I've read hundreds of books, yet I usually can do so without getting too close to the characters. I always feel like I'm just an observer, and it ultimately doesn't matter how things turn out because I don't have a stake in what happens. However, I couldn't resist being drawn into the pages of Allison's life in James Rubart's newest novel. When she was excited, I became excited. And when she was mad, I was also angry. When she experienc
Nora St Laurent
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to get into this story as I didn’t quite understand where the author was headed. I knew from reading all this authors memorable, through-provoking, amazing novels, he would bring all the pieces together and it would be a great aha moment. So, I hung in there.

Readers first get to know Allison and Kayla who have been BFF’s for years and decided to go into business together two and a half years ago. Their business and their relationship were going through tough times. They w
MaryAnn Bell
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Award-winning and bestselling author James L. Rubart explores the way our memories shape us . . . and how they affect our beliefs. Allison Moore has no idea why she got out of her car on that rainy March afternoon and picked up the soaked journal laying on the side of the road. Brought it home. But she did. It was empty. Except for two lines scrawled in the front, too washed out to read. And a Jesus emblem inside the back cover. Something about the journal compels her to start writing in it, cap ...more
Deana Dick
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am speechless after reading this book. It is so emotional and reached into my soul and filled me with joy. It is not everyday you read a book that has all the elements you need to walk through life with. Allison is such a deep character that I was immediately drawn to her. A simple stop to get a coffee will change her life in ways she never thought possible. I was very intrigued by the journal that was handed to her. I'm sure I would question why I was chosen to receive it. God answers us in m ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James L. Rubart is a 28 year old trapped in an older man's body, who loves to water ski and dirt bike with his two grown sons. He's the bestselling, Christy Book of the Year, Carol, INSPY, and RT Book Reviews award winning author of ten novels, including his latest, The Pages of Her Life. He lives with his amazing wife on a small lake in eastern Washington.