Start by marking “With This Pledge (Carnton, #1)” as Want to Read:
With This Pledge (Carnton, #1)

With This Pledge

(Carnton #1)

On the night of November 30, 1864, a brutal battle in Franklin, Tennessee, all but decimates the Confederacy and nearly kills Captain Roland Ward Jones. A decorated Mississippi sharpshooter, Jones has a vision on the battlefield and, despite the severity of his wounds, believes his life will be spared. But a life without his leg, he can't abide. He compels Elizabeth "Lizzi ...more
Published January 8th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

Start your review of With This Pledge (Carnton, #1)
Hannah
Well, that was excellent and a work of art! It’s so hard to find modern Civil War era fiction that’s layered and conflicted rather than being a “black and white us vs them” (in the sense of moral choice, not in sense of skin color) sort of story. This one had layers on top of layers and was incredibly researched. The stories about Carnton makes me want to up and go visit posthaste, and learning that Roland and Lizzie really did fall in love there (plus getting to read some bits from their actual ...more
Deanne Patterson
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is just AMAZING!!!!!!! When I think of Civil War fiction I have two favorite authors that I believe nail it and Tamera Alexander is one of them. I read historical fiction because it fascinates me and for what I can learn from it. This book is heavy, don't kid yourself if you read this book you will feel something. It takes place during the heat of the battle and we are there right along with the author in the thick of things. Many of the characters are based on actual people who lived ...more
Beth
With This Pledge is utterly enjoyable and an absorbing historical. Civil War set stories don't always get things right, but Alexander gets a lot right in this one. No caricature-like characters are found here, but layered, flawed people. I adored the friendships and relationships between the characters, the bravery of our main character, Lizzie, and the realistic heart change of Roland. The romance is tender yet subdued, and perfectly suited to the tone and time period of the story.

Despite bein
Kav
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There aren't many authors who can drag me into the Civil War era with only a minimum of kicking and screaming and Tamera Alexander is one of them. I'm Irish Canadian so the War Between the States really doesn't mean a whole lot to my personal history. Plus...Gone With the Wind likely scarred me for life. :-) And I find it really hard to relate to southern politics -- especially slavery -- so, it's just an era I tend to shy away from in my fiction. But then...what can I say? It's Tamera Alexander ...more
Nicole
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, to try to put into words how good this book is.
I am sitting here three days after I finished it, still not able to pick up my next book because I want to keep this story in my mind!
If you noticed the five star rating, it is because this is what I love in a book, and it touches on all the important markers for me that make great Christian fiction.
Set during the Civil War, you are thrust into the horrible aftermath of the battle. While the author definitely gives you the gritty truth of the se
Karen R
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A real love story in the midst of the carnage of war, well researched and with compelling writing that pulls you into the lives of the people. It is definitely a character driven story, taking place mainly at Carnton, starting with the Battle of Franklin raging around the estate, and its aftermath.
I have to admit that many of my preconceived ideas of the Civil War have been challenged by authors like this one, showing how complex the issues were, and that there were good and bad men on both si
Tamara
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love reading Tamera Alexander books, and each of them is written with a graciousness that I especially noticed in this particular book. The writing is inviting right from the first page, and it is so easy to imagine yourself with the characters and conversing with them. It took me easily a day to finish this story as I felt like I was glued to the inside of this book.

Susan Snodgrass
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'Sometimes life on this side of the veil is far more difficult than I think it should be. But then, God promises to not eliminate suffering.'

Every so often you read a book, that when you finish, you can't even bear to pick up another to read. I stayed up late to finish this powerful story and then the characters populated my dreams and held my mind captive for a long time. This is such a book.

November 30, 1864. Franklin, Tennessee. The Civil War is raging. Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Clouston is a gover
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2HsixUC

With This Pledge is a masterpiece – a literary work of art that, like an intricate painting, engages your senses as you discover more and more through its complexity, and it forever lingers in your thoughts. Through what must have been exhaustive research, Tamera Alexander has fleshed out real-life events and characters into a novel that entertains, resonates with the reader, and challenges your thinking. With This Pledge ranks among the most
Staci
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I love reading historical fiction based upon factual events. Many of the main characters and events were based upon 1864 Franklin, Tennessee. Carnton became a hospital following a huge battle.

I loved how main character Lizzie read A Christmas Carol aloud to take everyone's mind off of their current situation. She was a fabulous doctor's assistant even with no experience! I also enjoyed Sister Catherine Margaret. Her boldness and humor were nice additions.
Jocelyn Green
With sensitivity, grace, and an unflinching attention to history, Tamera Alexander has given us her most powerful novel yet (at least of the ones I've read). It's easy to see why this is a Christy Award finalist. I can't wait for the next books in the series.
Fiction Aficionado
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first book in Tamera Alexander’s new series is a thoroughly engaging read from first page to last and brings home both the personal and collective cost of war. I became almost as attached to some of the soldiers Lizzie tended as she did, even shedding tears with her at various times during the story, and I have nothing but admiration for Lizzie and for the countless women and men who have done as she did throughout the pages of history: stepped up to assist with the medical and emotional car ...more
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"She's given her pledge, and she's a woman of her word."

The ravages of our nation's Civil War had reached the lovely Carnton estate; spreading death and destruction across the rolling hills of Tennessee as far as the eye could see, following the heinous battle of Franklin. Governess Elizabeth "Lizzie" Clouston's job quickly detoured from teaching students the basics of education to assisting a field doctor with the grizzly task of removing limbs and suturing indescribable wounds; the McGavock's
Savanna Kaiser
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once I started this book, I did not want to put it down. The chapters flew by without notice. The story grabbed my heart and stole my breath away. Even now, I keep thinking about it. The Civil War and its horrific aftermath are painted with a delicate hand. I won’t forget this book, nor Lizzie or Roland. If you love historical romance, you can not miss this story, or really any of this author’s fantastic work. With This Pledge is a chilling read at times, but it also brought me to tears more tha ...more
Alicia
I found myself lost in thought after finishing this novel, reflecting on the history presented within its pages. The tremendous loss and suffering was vividly, though not unnecessarily, described and the turmoil of country and people was remembered. Though there was a lot of sorrow, there was also joy, love, courage, change and hope reflected in this story.

My two favourite characters were supporting characters- Sister Catherine Margaret and Tempy, a nun and slave who both helped nurse the soldi
Irene
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tamera Alexander has once again exceeded my expectations in delivering not only a novel that is both fascinating and view changing, but a story that holds some relevance to today.

I have always been interested in the history of the American Civil War but only recently I've wondered about the people who were impacted by a war that proved so monumental. And with With This Pledge I had the chance to step in those people shoes for a moment and see the war through the lens of back then instead of seei
Rachael
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a spectacular read by Tamera Alexander! The history packed into this novel is amazing. She pulls the reader into the story by using all senses! The scenes are set incredibly well, the characters are written so well, and she really brings this true battle to life. Once again she has written an amazing novel. It is definitely a heavy read, but it is incredibly well done.
Emilee
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on true events, With This Pledge is rich in historical detail. The realities and brutality of the war made this book hard for me to read. The crude medical practices, the poverty, the hunger and even the youth and innocents of many solders was shown in vivid detail throughout this novel. I appreciate the author's point of view so much. She was able to show the heart of the South without making Southern plantation owners out to be monsters. The wrongs that were done were brought to light an ...more
Jill
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I really enjoyed this Civil War era romance. I loved the setting and the sweeping plot. All of the story takes place at the Carnton plantation which is turned into a hospital. I should give a warning that some of the content is gruesome, but it's really well done. The characters are well developed and have good chemistry. I'm interested to see where the series goes from here.

I received a free review copy from Netgalley.
Susan
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This lyrical tale set amidst the harsh realities of war will resonate with its readers long after the last page has been read. While Tamera Alexander has been at the top of my favorite author list for years, I believe this is her best book to date. Alexander's impeccable research is evident as she masterfully tells the story of the residents of Carnton and their care of the injured and dying soldiers in the battle of Franklin, Tennessee towards the end of the American Civil War. Romance develops ...more
Melanie
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With This Pledge is the first book in Tamera Alexander's new series, Carnton. It was an emotional read, as it involves war and death. The injuries and surgeries in the story were difficult to read. I found the book believable and appreciated all the historical facts in it.

The romance was good and knowing that it was based on a true-life romance made me love it even more.

All in all, With This Pledge was a stellar historical read. I loved it and recommend it to fans of the genre. I cannot wait to
Courtney Clark
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With This Pledge by Tamera Alexander is a fascinating look at the near-end of the Civil War. It is rooted in a true-life setting and characters, bringing a real-life romance to life with exquisite detail all in the midst of heartache and challenge.

With This Pledge is exemplary historical fiction from the characterization, romance, and to the care of social and political issues of the time. One example is with the presence of abolitionist leanings in the south: this story considers both the nort
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Y’all! This. Book. Was. Amazing.

I don’t know why I’ve never read anything by Tamera before.

This book had sooo much history, but it was handled so well. I’m so thankful books like this exist. I know more about the Battle of Franklin now, and it made me want to visit Tennessee to see the house now.

Life changing book!
5/5 stars!
Lori
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly good! Tamera Alexander has such a gift for storytelling and can bring history to life like no other. The fact that this story was based on true events and real people make it even more amazing. There were times that I felt as if I were at Carnton experiencing the horrific events that were unfolding, and I could feel my heart breaking. After reading this story, I have a much greater understanding of the suffering and atrocities brought on by the Civil War.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Wow! I am amazed at the depth of this book. You can tell that it was researched and great care was taken to realistically portray the characters in this story. I was further amazed when I read the notes from Tamera Alexander that the characters were real people. Often in historical fiction, events surrounding the central story are real, but the characters are fictional. This information made me love the story even more.

The book takes place during a pivotal and tragic part of the Civil War. My he
April Jones
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I started doing the annual reading challenges on GoodReads, I have found myself wanting to check books off my list as I’m reading them, not even savoring the good ones. This book was different. I did not want it to end. It lingered on at times, but I didn’t mind. It was a rich story in every way, from the characters to the history to the setting to the plot... I would recommend this one to most anyone.
The Lit Bitch
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Tamera Alexander book, though I have had her books on my TBR radar for quite some time. I think her covers are beautiful and there is something about southern belles and romances that I can’t get enough of. But yet, I haven’t moved her books up on my TBR list for some unknown reason.

I was thrilled when this book came up for review because it gave me the perfect excuse to read one of her books, but then I forgot that I had it coming up soon.

When I started looking at my calendar I
April
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have long been a fan of Tamera Alexander. Her books transport me to the time period and location of the story within the first couple of chapters, and I easily remain there as I read the story. Her latest book, set to be released January 8, 2019, did not disappoint.

Elizabeth Clouston is a governess for Colonel and Mrs. McGavock at Carnton when the Battle of Franklin brings the Civil War to their doorstep. Miss Clouston is against slavery, but is not in a position to be open about her feelings
Georgianne
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to imagine what it must have been like to live through the events of this riveting story. A lot of tragedy, but also some beautiful relationships and an oh so sweet romance. Hard to put this one s down!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
WITH THIS PLEDGE is a story of faith and love in the midst of war. Set during the US Civil War where a governess and the family she serves see more than most when they fill in as a hospital for the Confederate army during a fight just a few miles from their doors. The occurrence impacts the soldiers they house while also greatly impacting their own lives. This is one beautifully written romance that will steal your heart and inspire.

Alexander never disappoints. Her historical details and charact

• A Reluctant Bride (The Bride Ships, #1)
  • A Bound Heart
  • The Governess of Penwythe Hall (Cornwall, #1)
  • A Desperate Hope (Empire State, #3)
  • Searching for You (Orphan Train, #3)
  • Daughters of Northern Shores (Blackbird Mountain, #2)
  • Between Two Shores
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • A Return of Devotion (Haven Manor, #2)
  • Far Side of the Sea
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • Flights of Fancy (American Heiresses, #1)
  • The Sky Above Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #2)
  • Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance, #3)
  • In the Shadow of Croft Towers
Tamera Alexander is a USA Today bestselling author and one of today's most popular writers in the inspirational historical fiction genre. She and her husband live in Nashville, Tennessee, not far from the Southern mansions that serve as the backdrop for six of her award-winning novels.

Carnton (2 books)
  • Colors of Truth (Carnton, #2)

News & Interviews

“The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?’ God knows the precise moment he will call you home, my dear brothers. You will not stay on this earth one second longer than God ordains! Nor will you be swept up to heaven’s peace a moment too soon. You are in his hands. So travel this life with that confidence tucked close against your heart!” 1 likes