Start by marking “Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff” as Want to Read:
Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff

Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff

More Style, Less Stuff

Cozy Minimalism isn’t about going without or achieving a particular new, modern style. Nope. It’s simply a mindset that helps you get whatever style YOU LOVE with the fewest possible items.

You want a warm, cozy, inviting home, without using more resources, money, and stuff than needed. Why use more if you don't have to?

In Cozy Minimalist Home, acciden
Published October 23rd 2018 by Zondervan (first published October 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Cozy Minimalist Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cozy Minimalist Home

Cale
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book used So Many Words to say just a few little things. (Seriously, where was her editor?!) Why did it take me so long to read? It was so damn wordy out of the gate that I didn't really want to pick it up to finish it after three chapters in. What made me finish it? It's due today at the library and I figured I should at least read a little further before returning it. If you are wondering if it's worth checking out, I'll save you a roughly 4 hour read with one quick review.

Favorite quote
Megan Ericson
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: minimalism
Cozy Minimalist Home gives me permission to decorate the way I've always wanted to but thought I was doing something wrong.

I co-host a podcast called Minimalist Moms, so I feel like I'm expected to keep my home minimal, but when I take too much away, it feels cold and unfriendly. Plus, I'm not comfortable and that's hardly any way to live, right?

Myquillyn shows you how to make your home cozy AND minimalist. She teaches you how it's more about making your home function for you than following a
Leah Hortin
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
For being a book on minimalism, it sure is wordy. I would have preferred less fluff and more bullet points. Nothing revolutionary in here; most of the tips I've picked up over the years from experience and pinterest and YoungHouseLove. I don't care for her style at all so the pictures didn't do a whole lot for me. And ironically, her finished "CoMi" room's still felt a little too busy/full to me.
MacKenzie
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands down my favorite book so far this year. Intensely practical, methodical and easy to follow, examples of real results, and FUNNY! Loved every page and plan to genuinely use this method to decorate my home!
Emma
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
There were a number of times I took pictures of paragraphs and sent them to my husband, because it felt like someone had given words to my soul. I do think that I am of the same spirit as Myquillyn Smith in terms of wanting more style and less stuff. Especially the less stuff part. GOSH I hate stuff! It drives me crazy. BUT, since I had already arrived at this conclusion before reading the book, and have also given myself freedom to get rid of stuff that I don't use and don't like, my experience ...more
Monica
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These past few years since we have downsized after moving four times in three years, we have been remodeling and making this last house our home. Our goal has been simple yet cozy. I haven't always known how to do that well, but I am learning thanks to The Nester (Myquillyn Smith). Her latest book, Cozy Minimalist Home is just what I have been looking for to make our living room and dining room a place of cozy rest for my family and guests.

Cozy Minimalist Home is a how to book for creating your
Madam J
Feb 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
I disliked this book on so many different levels it would take a book as long as hers to write them all out.

1. The day I'm having a 'Pinterest party' and asking my friends to review my Pinterest boards is scheduled for the 5th of NEVER. In person or over email. Not happening.

2. "Pin things with passion" as in, if it catches your eye, PIN IT. Later, go back and review (I guess with your friends) what you liked about it. Two pages later: "look for inspiration with purpose".

Also FYI to author: digi
Rachel
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful, practical, and easy read. It doesn’t make you want to go buy lots of new things but rather to see and work with what you have, which I greatly appreciate.

I also love that the emphasis isn’t solely on making a space beautiful, but that the space should serve us and the people we bring in. We shouldn’t worry about how our home looks to guests when they come over; we should be thinking about how to care for them. This can be done, though, without going through her process, as ultimat
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: simplicity
Myquillyn Smith knows what is important in a home: it is important that it is home-y. She takes us through the steps of decorating to achieve that wonderful coziness, that wonderful simplicity, in easy steps. I especially liked how she asks us to first quiet our rooms before beginning anything. A good introduction for first-timers, I think.
Marianna
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Don’t label your style, but let’s all be CoMi’s. Don’t let bloggers and Instagram define your style, but her house is just another Joanna Gaines knockoff.
Christina DeVane
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, easy read. I haven’t read the author’s first book, but looking at her stuff online I always thought she had a cluttered look to her style. So this is her journey to decorating with bigger pieces and fewer items which I’m all about. She had some helpful advice on decorating in a certain order like furniture, rugs, drapes, and lighting before anything goes on the walls. I still don’t love her style, but I enjoyed reading this and I love how it ends- it’s not about my Home looking b ...more
Virginia
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-home
Nathan Mayer
Jan 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Useless. It was like a book version of when you look up a cookie recipe online and have to read someone's life story before you get to the list of ingredients. All I want is the stupid cookie recipe. All I wanted here was tips and photos of how to be a minimalist and what the ideal "look" for minimalism is. The entire book was random "stylish" pictures of rooms that still had way too much crap in them, combined with story after story of nonsense. I learned nothing from it. And I don't mean that ...more
Cynthia
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to really love this book and I did for the first chapter or two. Beyond those chapters, the book became a step-by-step guide to her styling process. I was hoping for a greater focus on the philosophy and mentality behind “cozy minimalism,” a phrase I love. At the end of the book, the before and after pictures didn’t strike me as drastically different, aside from the scale of decorative objects. The author seems to be a thoughtful and purposeful person, this specific book just didn’t res ...more
Kaytee Cobb
So practical. Myquillin makes it so easy to start over, identify exactly what you need, and create a space you truly love. I read it cover to cover, now I plan to get started, slow down, and actually follow the steps. Because Myquillin truly makes me think I can. Love it. This book will not leave my shelves.
Elijah Fry
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Lorilin
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, home, own
Myquillyn Smith is the bestselling author of The Nesting Place, a book about embracing your limitations (lack of decorating experience, lack of funds, etc.) and learning to create a comfortable and friendly space anyway. She’s all about the thrift store buys and DIY projects. Her style is very “homey on a budget.”

But Smith takes a slightly different approach in Cozy Minimalist Home. She explains what cozy minimalism is in the first section of the book and how she arrived at it.

While moving into
Amanda
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved it! It’s about becoming a Chief Home Curator verses and Stuff Manager.
The first 1/3 of the book was slow and repetitive. But the rest is super practical and now essential to me! I’m itching to get to work quieting my home. And still a few trips to Home Goods wouldn’t be so bad. Oops, not supposed to think like that.
Amy
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just finished the first chapter of this book. The book comes out October 23. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book to learn how to use "cozy as a tool". If the rest of the book is anything like the first chapter my home is going to be amazing. So far I've only read the sampler provided by the publisher and I'll update my review once I've read the entire book.
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I had the privilege to receive an advance copy of the book, and what a great book it was! Most decorating books either lean a little too philosophical (I need some specifics!) or a little dictatorial (what if I don’t want a room that looks just like yours?) for my taste. This book achieves a perfect balance. There are enough specifics to give the inexperienced or unconfident decorator guidance, but not so much that you feel confined to a specific look or style. If you need a book to help you dev ...more
Jenn
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not sure why I do this to myself. I picked this book up three weeks ago and I am now currently sitting in a living room with nothing in it but a sofa, a coffee table, and a cat tree. I'm waiting for the room to tell me what kind of furniture it wants in it. (The cats insisted the cat tree was nonnegotiable). On one hand, I can't get into my office because that's where all the extra furniture is and there are boxes of books in the guest bathroom. On the other hand, my living room floor is cle ...more
Laura Austin
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful book! The pictures will inspire you, but more importantly, the content will help you bring grace and comfort to your home without stuffing it full of things that will end up being a burden. I received an advanced copy of the Cozy Minimalist Home, which was so fun because I could not wait to get my hands on this new book from Myquillyn. You will love the practical advice about using furniture, wall art, accessories, and more to help your home be the place you’ve always wanted ...more
Rebecca
Flipped through. I love the idea of "cozy minimalism," but would do it with more color myself. ;) This book is published by Christian publisher Zondervan, and so includes some phrases in the more inspirational vein than your average decor book (“We long to create because we were made by a creator").
Karen
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'll admit, up to around 1/3 through, I wasn't really into this one. I've never been one to get too excited about decorating and anyone who has been to my home knows I favor comfort and "decorating" around my critters - think comfy dog beds, toys and cat trees in nearly every room. Yeah, that's not going to change. But my house could look better put together and I'd definitely like that look with less crap around... Enter Cozy Minimalist Home. Smith walks the reader through setting up the chosen ...more
Gina
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
The concept of the cozy minimalist and how to style your home as one is very interesting. I wanted to learn how to create a cozy home without burying us in a ton of stuff.

However, The Cozy Minimalist did not strike a good chord with me. The book felt overwritten. Whilst reading I felt antsy, and I could not wait to finish. The information would have been more enjoyable and digestible as a series of succinct blog posts.

Additionally, I gave the big eye roll every time the author mentioned god. I
Brigette
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The idea is to have less stuff, so that you are not a stuff manager, but for your home to feel cozy. The idea fits with what I've been wanting to do but now this gives me a process to work towards it more. The great thing is that this can work with many different styles of decorating. I'm going to be going back through this book as I work through room my room over time in my home.
Danica Holdaway
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a self-diagnosed interior design idiot this book was a godsend. She breaks it down into simple, doable steps to clear out your home in a meaningful way. If you’re on that KonMari kick this can help in a more functional way. She tells you why you hate your gallery wall and how to buy the right sofa. I actually feel like I can make my home the way I want it now!
Sherry
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting and visually attractive. This book is more about decorating and design principles than about really decluttering or having a minimalist home. What I liked:
- Designated empty spaces
- How to create a vignette
- Principles to create balance in your space

I doubt I would ever find time at this season in my life to really do the "quieting the space" thing she suggests. She also doesn't give any info on what to do about practical stuff you just need in your life that is Not decor (esp with
Rosie
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Confession. I am already, admittedly, a HUGE fan of everything Myquillyn has written and produced. Her work has added so much to my life, and it could be life changing for you too! I am not a natural decorator—in fact, my friends used to lovingly tease me about my barren life walls and a few frames on end tables, with stock photos still on display. When I bought my first home, I wanted it to be a true home for me, in every sense of the word, and a comfortable haven for guests. She helped my acco ...more
Becky Porter
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A decorating book that I can actually use! Reading it felt like sitting down with a friend to chat and get real, practical solutions that fit my family and my home. 💛

• Old Home Love
  • Design Mom: A Room-by-Room Guide to Living Well with Kids
  • Lovable Livable Home: How to Add Beauty, Get Organized, and Make Your House Work for You
  • Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves
  • Jonathan Adler on Happy Chic: Colors
  • The Inspired Room: Simple Ideas to Love the Home You Have
  • New Decorating Book
  • The New Bohemians: Cool and Collected Homes
  • The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room
  • New Minimalism: Decluttering and Design for Sustainable, Intentional Living
  • The Nest Home Design Handbook
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • The Things That Matter
  • Habitat: The Field Guide to Decorating
For the past five years Myquillyn Smith, "The Nester," has been encouraging women to embrace the home they are in. She writes a blog called "Nesting Place," a site from which she wants readers to leave with hope, motivation, and inspiration for their homes. She lives in North Carolina with her husband and three boys, their hockey paraphernalia, and plenty of brown dog hair. Everything in their hou ...more
“When home feels out of control, no matter what the reason, unsettledness and anxiety can seep in, and then the chaos becomes internal as well as external. Our home influences us both positively and negatively. it's wise to take notice and make a few small, immediate changes.” 0 likes