Start by marking “Remember God” as Want to Read:
Remember God

Remember God

I know God is loving; I know He is good; I believe He is big and powerful. But sometimes I wonder if He is really kind— really deeply always kind.

Is He?

Christians love to talk about how God is in control, but that’s harder to grasp when things aren’t going like you thought they would, when your life looks quite different than you imagined.

For centuries, God’s people hav
Published October 2nd 2018 by B Books

To ask other readers questions about Remember God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remember God

Jenna
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Laura Ellison
This might be my last Annie F. Downs book. I have many conflicting feelings about this book and about some of her other ones as well. I think the thing I struggle with the most is the utter sadness over being single. I’m single as well and I struggle with identifying with women who make their singleness their identity to the point where there are daily tears over it. Focusing so much on my relationship status would mean I wouldn’t be focusing on things that really matter. I trust that God will b ...more
Lee Nienhuis
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, audio-books
A breathtaking book. Truly. Annie rawly and powerfully engages readers with her journey of believing God amidst confusion, disappointment and victory. I found myself in this story and although I adore Annie, our stories are different. I was married at 20, with 4 kids by 30. And yet, it seems the mystery of believers is God is very much the same. I loved every word.
Brenna
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I. Will. Remember. I will remember God." Perhaps the most beautiful ending to a book I have ever read, a book that was "supposed to have a pretty ending tied with a bow". You can't get more honest than this. We all have limps that were 0ut there by God's allowance. But it is those very limps that cause us to look back. To go back in time to when those limps first took root. And to say, I remember. I will remember You in Your kindness when I look at my own pain and my own journey. Because we are ...more
May
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This is book reads like a blog. It was not quite what I expected. It’s about the very personal experience of the author. As someone who relates very much to her situation in life, I saw myself in many of the moments she described. Ultimately, though, I found the book extremely emotionally based. The title led me to believe that God would be the focal point, but he was more like the side focal point...kind of. I think the author was vulnerable and honest, I just wish there was less of an entitlem ...more
Kendra
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith-based
I can't quite get enough of Annie F. Downs. I crave authenticity, and this writing is as genuine as it comes. The audiobook was a gift to my heart. Is God kind? How can you be sure even when things don't turn out how you want or hoped they would? What happens when disappointment is so thick it suffocates? Downs shares her personal story and how she was able to see God's love through the darkness. In the process, she also pushes her readers to #RememberGod
Aberdeen
**going to be on my best-books-of-2018 list**

Please, please, please experience this through the audiobook. Even if you don't normally like audiobooks, listening to Annie share the story in her own voice is an incredibly moving, absorbing experience. She's a popular podcaster with a unique voice (which I personally love) that is just as vulnerable and open as her words are. Listening to this book was like getting to walk by someone’s side through their journey.

And that's where a lot of criticisms
Anna
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want Annie Downs to be my best friend. I can’t normally read non-fiction books because I have a hard time following along. That wasn’t the case with this book. Annie writes as if she is sitting across from you in a coffee shop telling you her story. So much of what she wrote about is my life. She is honest about her struggles with God, but reminds us of the truth about who he is. I loved it. I love her.
Oceana
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and honest. She puts words to the questions my heart didn’t know it wanted to ask.
Shelbie Wallace
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of the top 5 books I’ve ever read. Annie’s words were real and challenging. She never shied away from vulnerability. It’s not only beautiful on the outside, but every chapter was a gift. I couldn’t put it down!
Kendall
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
My goodness. The audio book felt like a long walk with a friend who was open and vulnerable about their journey. I am so thankful for the way Annie shares about her relationship with God. Thank you Annie.
Carrie Kann
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I have so many thoughts on this book but I'm only going to give you a few. First, this book is a GIFT. I have so much respect for a story that is smack dab in the messy middle and doesn't tie it all up in a neat bow at the end - because that's how life is, isn't it? Messy, and very rarely all tied up neatly.

I bawled my way through this book. Not just teared up, but full on ugly cried. It was the exact book I needed to read in my current moment, current season, and I love when God does this.

Tha
Beth
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Annie Downs newest book continues to share the life lessons God is teaching her. Remember God is the most vulnerable book Annie has yet to share. She offers the reader a look into her travels and life,b but more than that, Annie shares the whispers she heard from God.

Annie honestly shares of her wrestlings, her heart wounds and her most challenging life season yet. Depression, fear, frustration, and redemption are all present in Remember God. Through it all Annie continues to draw the reader bac
Alex Worlund
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a gift. Annie takes time to not only share parts of her story, but does so in a way that takes courage and faith. I’m so thankful for her heart and how well she listens to and loves the Lord.

If you want to read this book, go ahead and get the audio book. In the 4.5 hours it takes to listen to Remembering God, I spent a couple of them weeping because this book holds a story that is so very similar to my own. Listening to Annie tell her own story is more precious than words can
Aimee
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been an Annie fan for a long time, especially of her podcast, but this book is really something special. Is God kind? What Christian hasn’t asked that question? Annie’s honesty and faithfulness in sharing her story are a gift to those of us who seek to believe that God is who He says He is, even when it doesn’t make sense.
Create With Joy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are the type of person who really enjoys books where the writer lays their soul bare and grapples with the deepest struggles of their heart, then Remember God by Annie Downs – a best-selling author, blogger, nationally known speaker, and podcast host – is for you.

In her most vulnerable book to date, Annie shares her spiritual struggles during some of the most intimate and personal moments of her life. In the midst of these struggles, she wrestles with her relationship with God the way any
Julie Paden
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is just what my heart needed. I’ve noticed that most people talk about struggles in the past tense, especially in church - only after we’ve been healed and changed do we disclose that we went through some incredibly hard things. It can feel pretty discouraging when you’re in the middle of struggle. I believe God is capable of miraculously healing people in a moment, but a lot of times healing is a (sometimes very long) process. And people aren’t often brave enough to share their story ...more
Rachel
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rare. That's the word that sticks out in my mind. This is a rare book. The kind that's written from the middle. The honest, hard, disappointed middle. And in the midst still finding beauty, hope and love. How sad that we often only see the polished narratives, the ones with endings.

I've been going through what is a really long transition. There's not a lot of people I know who have had an experience like the one I'm currently living. It was so refreshing to read about Annie waiting on something
Sheri Hooton
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Annie is amazing, 100% awesome. I gobble up all her books and this time I preordered and got the free audio version. I didn’t think Annie’s books could be better but listening to her tell her stories, that was the better. So so good. Honest. Raw. Joyful. Heartbreak. Travel. It’s got it all. And most importantly? It points back to God. All of it. I cried at the end, because God is so faithful and so kind towards us and sometimes he surprises us in the most unexpected ways. Highly recommend this b ...more
Amanda M
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a day. On Christmas Day to be exact.
As I read this I felt like Annie could see into my soul at some points. This book isn’t for everyone, but as someone who’s major pain point is often singleness, it was for me. There’s not a happy, bow tied on it, ending but that’s so much better.

Because God is kind to us, even in the absence of what we long for. God is enough. We have to remember that.
marylyn
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
my favorite kind of memoirs are ones that either talk about a life vastly different than mine or one that is eerily similar. i read annie’s book during a season when i echoed many of the same sentiments. i don’t know the author but listen to her podcast, and reading her book felt like sitting down having a cup of coffee with her (or almond milk chai with no water- thanks for the tip!). as a single woman, it is so encouraging to hear other single women preach the goodness of God amidst the pain o ...more
Sarah Boonstra
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is special. I wish I could gift the audio version to everyone I know. It's the most accurate account of the tension that exists in believing in a God who is personal and who is good, and living a life that doesn't always feel good. Annie is real and raw and she doesn't offer platitudes to make everything okay. She's truly authentic.
I cannot wait for the hard copy to hit my doorstep in October.

Well done Ms. Downs.

Cassandra Marcum
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book hooked me. I was invested from the very beginning - because I think we can all relate to wanting to hold onto the control that’s not really ours, and that’s where Annie starts.

It was so honest and so easy to read. It felt like catching up with an old friend and digging deep into the details that I hadn’t been there for.

Abby
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
When life feels hard and the questions are almost too big to ask, what do you do? Annie tackles that very feeling many Christians have asked with depth, vulnerability and honesty. She dives in with her story and charges us to ask the questions, keep our eyes open and most of all, Remember God. It's rare to read something so fresh and real which makes this a solid 5 stars from me.
Tiffany Reed Briley
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Remember God is like sitting down with a friend for a hot cup of really good coffee and conversation on a snowy day. You’re warm, comfortable, and don’t want to leave.

Annie is refreshingly real and gives a new definition and raised expectation for the word “authentic”.

Her writing style feels like you’re eavesdropping on her thoughts while she works out the deep things of her heart. I’m doing so, she effortlessly guides you into personal reflection.

Annie invited me to sit on her couch and cry
Krystal
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a special book! I absolutely loved reading Annie's very vulnerable walk with the Lord. She articulated so many things I could not have. And over and over she testifies to God's kindness no matter our circumstances. Just beautiful!
Dayne
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly real and moving account of believing God is good even when our prayers aren’t answered in the way we want them to be. Annie opens her heart in a way a lot of authors don’t and gives a name to the fears and insecurities so many of us face. This book is beautiful and touching.
Lynn Coulter
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was so refreshing to read a book about faith and spirituality in which the author questions God's goodness. My problem with many books about God is that they are so packed with positivity that it's hard to read them without feeling like you're the only one who has ever had doubts and fears, wondering how tragedies can happen if God really is kind..

I wasn't expecting answers from Annie F. Downs, the author of Remember God. None of us can know His mind and explain everything that happens. But i
Katrina
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raw. Vulnerable. Beautiful.
Cole
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I sat down this morning and read the whole thing. I wanted it to end differently. I wanted the “cure”. But it isn’t about that. Thanks Annie for sharing a story that doesn’t have a bow on it. It is real. And necessary.
Annie F. Downs is an author, blogger, and speaker based in Nashville, Tennessee. Flawed but funny, she uses her writing to highlight the everyday goodness of a real and present God.

An author of three books-  Let's All Be Brave Perfectly Unique , and  Speak Love , Annie also loves traveling around the country speaking to young women, college students, and adults.

Read more at anniefdowns.com  a