Start by marking “Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts: A Book about Anger” as Want to Read:
Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts: A Book about Anger

Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts: A Book about Anger

When Simon gets mad, he gets REALLY mad. So mad that big, bad, angry beasts appear. At first Simon loves having the beasts around to help scare off anyone who upsets him, but over time he realizes that no one wants to be around him or the beasts. This makes Simon sad, so he decides to try to still his mind and practice being calm. And the beasts disappear!

Featuring colorfu
Published by Flyaway Books (first published April 26th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts

Start your review of Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts: A Book about Anger
Schizanthus Nerd
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Simon’s anger is big and it’s only getting bigger. Beasts begin to appear whenever Simon is angry and they chase everyone away. For a while Simon enjoys feeling like his anger is powerful but eventually, when his anger comes without a specific reason, he notices how lonely he is.

No one wants to be around him anymore but he doesn’t know how to get rid of his anger. Finally Simon learns to take responsibility for his feelings and to manage them in a calmer way.

I really liked the illustrations, wh
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was not only adorable (I'm a little obsessed with the way little Simon and his beasties are illustrated), it was also really well-thought out! It begins with showing off the beasts Simon's anger creates and how much fun he has with them at first, but quickly progresses into Simon's regrets as he recognizes that his friends don't want to play with him now that he's given into his anger so much. My favorite detail is that it even touches on his frustrations with himself as he tries to figure ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of "big, bad, angry beasts"
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
What child — furious at discipline or a setback — hasn’t imagined the vengeance that s/he might take on those nefarious evil-doers who thwarted her/him? So does the tantrum-stricken Simon, who imagines metamorphosing into wild beasts — a ram, an alligator, and more — to exact what he’d see as rough justice. Whether it’s losing at a board game, being sent to his room for crayon scribbles on the wall, or being denied, Simon thrills in intimidating others. Until he realizes that his anger is gettin ...more
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts is a story about a boy who expresses his anger in harmful ways, which begin to manifest themselves as progressively meaner beasts that lash out at his friends and family. Though it feels good at first, Simon eventually realizes that his beasts are not making things better -- in fact, they're making it so that no one wants to be around him. By learning to be more calm and mindful, he is able to find a healthier way to deal with his anger.

I think this story wor
Etienne
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple story about anger management. A bitt oo long about the anger part, and not enough about the management part. That's probably the most negative point. If not, overall, good story, pretty illustration, and anger management is always an important point of education with a child. This book could easily serve has a metaphore in class or at home. There is even a bit of explanation and «coaching» writing at the end for how to use it with an educational intention. Well done!
Elley Murray
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the message of this book, and the content at the back of it for parents and teachers on dealing with anger with children and how to use this book to talk to kids about anger. The illustrations are also really great and the story has a good flow, so it’s enjoyable for kids to read as well as having an excellent message.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts is a story about anger and how to deal with it. Simon is a boy who expresses his anger in harmful ways. Each time he becomes angry a beast appears and they become bigger and meaner while lashing out at his friends and family. At first Simon likes how this makes him feel, but eventually no one wants to be around him. He does not like being alone, so he makes the decision to get rid of the anger beasts. It takes a while to figure it out, but he is finally succe ...more
Fairyland~book review
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
"It was great, it was marvelous, it was magical to be calm, quiet, and peaceful." ****First let me say I won this book on Goodreads giveaway.**** So this came in the mail yesterday as soon as I opened the envelope it came in my 2 year old freaked out! He wanted me to read it to him, he loved the cover as did my 5 year old and myself! This book is beautiful, from the writing to the pictures! My 2 and 5 year olds could both understand very clearly ether through picture for my 2 year old and pictur ...more
Trisha - Tale of a Bookworm
This is my first ever kids book review. Thanks a lot NetGalley & Flyaway Books for this chance!!

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L illustrations!! <3 Your kid will fall in love with the pretty and rich colored pictures. Its soo pretty!! Its a great book for teaching your kid what are the consequences of being angry/rude to people.

Only problem I found is that, I wish the kid was not shown to be dealing with the anger alone, I wish it showed he went to his parents for help or his parents came to him when he tried
Deb
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-alena
I really like the illustrations in this book. I sort of like the way it tries to teach about anger. Poor little Simon has anger issues and they grow along with the beasts that accompany him. His ability to turn the dragon into butterflies is a little hard to imagine.

I like the idea of teaching children mindfulness, which this tries to do, but it focuses on the exciting anger animals a lot longer than the calm. I know, it might be boring otherwise. I'm still thinking about this.

I read it to my
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
This book is quite imaginative and showcases behavioral problems (specifically anger) in children in a captivating and educational manor. Along with its beautiful and colorful illustrations, this book carries a message that teaches children the consequences of anger outbursts, as well as how best to handle strong feelings and emotions. There is also a section in the back of the book for parents and teachers with wonderful and compelling advice in regards to negative behaviors in children.

I highl
Lana
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an awesome preschool book about being angry!! We have done several unit studies on recognizing our emotions in my preschool and this would make a great addition for story time.
In this story each time Simon gets angry he creates a big angry animal such as a ram or an alligator. By the end of the story Simon is so upset he has a fire-breathing dragon beside him and no one wants to be around him anymore. Simon realizes that being angry isn’t the answer to his problems.
Megan Bamforth
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Approaching the issue of controlling anger can be difficult when children do not always understand it themselves. This picture book allows pupils to visualise anger and understand how it can take hold of someone. Learning to deal with it in a calm way, but recognising that it is there.
At the end of the book there are helpful hints on how to deal with anger. These include the role of parents and teachers, how to use the book, and various activities, including the value of mindfulness.
Jessica
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book talks about anger with different creatures to magnify the child’s anger but then how the child’s anger can backfire. The book has great guides in the back for parents and teachers and as a group. And they have guidelines on hoe to read it with your child. Which I love.

Recommend for to mange or to learn to recognize emotions.
Judy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Wonderful picture book. The illustrations will capture children’s attention while the story helps them see how anger affects their world, then how to deal with that anger. At the end there are helpful ways for how to use the book with individual children and with a group.
Kaila
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Erika
** Full disclosure: I received this book in exchange for an honest review**

Okay. There is a lot to process with this book. The intent of this book is to help children recognize and deal with their feelings, in particular anger; it also has a guide at the back with suggestions for caregivers to use to guide them in working with children and their feelings of anger.
I am going to start with the positives. The art in this book is beautiful. The creatures chosen for each expression of anger do a wo
Jim
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK - I know this (probably) isn’t the point of the book. But it seems like it’s saying we should let kids have their temper tantrums and let them figure out for themselves that no one will like them if they keep getting mad and acting like Class-A jerks. This seems like a poor way to raise a child. I get that kids get mad - and we need to teach them that’s a valid emotion. I like that this book teaches that it’s ok to be angry sometimes, and that we need to learn how to identify and deal with ou ...more
Suzanne
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
In a beginning reminiscent of Where the Wild Things Are, "The first time Simon got mad, it was after he had caused a lot of mischief." Simon is red-faced with anger, leaning back on his heels and lines coming from his open mouth to show readers how loudly he is protesting. His father is tugging on Simon's hand and pointing to his room with his mouth firmly set. But a strange thing happens when Simon is left in his room. When he pounds on the door, a big ram is suddenly there pounding along with ...more
Kimberlee
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I received a free digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Simon has a temper. First it starts small, but it keeps growing and growing until it becomes a fire breathing dragon! Now, Simon has lost all his friends and doesn't know what to do.

I'll admit that I enjoyed this book. The art is gorgeous and suited the story very well. The story is great. I think it's a pretty accurate representation of a child who doesn't know how to process strong emotions like anger yet and needs a
Storywraps
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simon has definite anger issues. When his anger flairs up he becomes out of control and huge, spine-chilling beasts appear out of nowhere, take over his emotions and together they attack anyone who causes his anger to erupt.

He comes to the realization that each time he throws a monumental temper tantrum the forever shape-shifting imaginary monsters grow more in size and become even more snarly and vicious. Oh my!!!

Simon soon discovers that his demonic beasts are not his friends because once th
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

We loved this one! Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts personified anger and offered a more understandable perspective for children. My son thought it was interesting that the boy's anger could change shape depending on the situation, and we had fun discussing what his animal would be. We both liked the ill
Ioanna
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Simon finds himself angry at times. Whether it's losing at games or being told no about something he really wants, he can't keep calm, and he can't keep his anger under control. One day, when he gets angry, an angry animal appears next to him. He thinks it's great, and every time he gets angry it becomes worse. Every time, a bigger, angrier beast appears next to him. What he hasn't realized, howev
Wayne McCoy
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
'Simon and the Big, Bad, Angry Beasts: A Book about Anger' by Ian De Haes is a good allegory about anger and it's consequences.

Young Simon has an anger problem, but to him it starts out as no problem. A little anger brings on a ram that slams into doors. It morphs into a crocodile and a lion, each animal getting larger. Simon is okay with this. He likes how these scary animals help him express himself. Then Simon realizes something about the people around him, and the angry creatures he has arou
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool-2nd grade
Emotions: Anger, loneliness mindfulness, calm

Watch out! Simon's anger is out of control. The very first time he gets mad, his anger manifests into a ram, charging after anything that made Simon mad. Each new instance of Simon's anger transforms the creature into another large, aggressive animal until he finally becomes so full of anger that no one wants to play with him anymore. Yelling the anger away only seems to make it stronger so Simon decides to sit down until calm spreads through his whol
Debbie Smith
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon handles his anger by having temper tantrums. But he is discovering that each time he has a tantrum the imaginary monster he becomes grows into something larger and more fierce. Eventually, Simon’s temper is so large that no one wants to be around him. When he realizes that life has become quite lonely, he tries to figure out how to get rid of the monsters that come out when he is angry. Can he work through his anger issues and enjoy playing with his friends again?

Cons: Like all books of th
Amanda
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First I received a copy through NetGalley to review.

I saw the cover which I thought was interesting and then reading the description made me want to learn more. The reason being I work with a variety of kids and thought this would be a good book to read to them and teach a lesson.

I really like the concept behind this book about a child beginning to understand that his actions when he is angry having consequences. I don't like the way the other characters are portrayed in their reactions.

The a
Kelsey
Age: Preschool+
Emotions: Anger, loneliness mindfulness, calm

Nicole Cullen
I am so glad that I had the pleasure to read this book and win this book in one of the giveaways! I am a student teacher right now and about to graduate at my University. In my experience being in the classroom, some of the children have a lot of anger and they handle it in a wrong way. This book is great for me to read to them, because they can understand that people around them, don't want to hang out with them when they are acting out in a negative way. At the end of the book, it has a guide ...more
Melissa
I thought this was a wonderful book to teach children how to understand and manage their anger. Simon gets angry - as any child would! - at getting in trouble for writing on walls, after being denied ice cream, after being told to finish his dinner, etc. And each time, his anger manifests itself as a different big, bad beast attacking all around him in revenge. But then he gets lonely - his friends and parents won't play with him with the beasts around. So he finds a way to calm down and his ang ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Stone for Sascha
  • Mirror
  • Five Minutes: (That's a Lot of Time) (No, It's Not) (Yes, It Is)
  • A Perfect Day