Start by marking “The Women of Heachley Hall” as Want to Read:
The Women of Heachley Hall

The Women of Heachley Hall

The life of a freelance illustrator will never rake in the millions so when twenty-eight year old Miriam discovers she’s the sole surviving heir to her great-aunt’s fortune, she can’t believe her luck. She dreams of selling her poky city flat and buying a studio.
But g
Published May 4th 2018 by Spare Time Press

To ask other readers questions about The Women of Heachley Hall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Women of Heachley Hall

Start your review of The Women of Heachley Hall
Teresa
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
The blurb for this novel is what drew me to this book. I enjoyed it overall. It's very atmospheric and the 'creepy' elements are done well. I guessed what the secret was quite early on. I never really took to Miriam. I don't know why.
This book could have been half the length it was and be a brilliant read. The middle of the story dragged for me and parts of it were repetitive.
However, it's still a very good read for a debut.
booksofallkinds
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
THE WOMEN OF HEACHLEY HALL by Rachel Walkley is a compelling and fascinating story brimming with mystery, romance, and that extra little something that I can't put my finger on which makes it a special read.

Miriam has stood on her own two feet ever since her Mum died and she doesn't know too much about her family history, but that is all set to change when she inherits Heachley Hall from her Great-Aunt Felicity. But this inheritance comes with one strict condition - that Miriam must live in the
J.B (Debbie)
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a total sucker when it comes to books about old houses and family secrets. I love this sort of story so was very excited to get the opportunity to read and review The Women of Heachley Hall.

When Miriam inherits an old mansion house from an aunt she barely remembers, the will stipulates that she must live in it for a year and a day before it fully becomes hers and she can sell it. So, Miriam relocates her entire life to the cold old house which is in desperate need of repair. Her memories o
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this book, it was a completely addictive read and I loved it!

The plot was great, just the right amount of detail and it really worked with the characters. They were well developed and believable. The setting worked a treat for the book and I found it all very atmospheric and just perfect for this story.

I was really surprised to find out that this was the author's debut - it is very impressive and certainly doesn't read to someone new to t
Olga Miret
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Romantic mystery, with a touch of the paranormal, a gothic mansion and wonderful characters. I write this review as a member of Rosie’s Book Review Team (authors, check here if you are looking for reviews) and thank her and the author for the ARC copy of the book, which I freely chose to review.
I love old mansions, old houses, and antiques, and that was one of the things that attracted me to this book, together with the mystery aspect of it. As I’m in the process of moving, and I’m dealing wit
Up All Night With Books
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Women of Heachley Hall by Rachel Walkley was a pleasant and delightful journey through one woman’s discovery of herself, her family and their history.

When Miriam is informed she is heir of her great aunt’s mansion, she is excited to sell it and settle into a more comfortable lifestyle. Her plans are intercepted when she finds out the only way she can take ownership of the mansion is to live it in for one year. With little options left, she concedes to the fact that she will be living in the
Anna
Jul 24, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Bored silly by 10%. DNF.
Elizabeth Lloyd
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
When book illustrator, Miriam Chambers, inherits Great Aunt Felicity’s Victorian mansion in the Norfolk countryside, she discovers it is a poisoned chalice. Either she must live in the run-down cold building for a year and a day or it will be auctioned for charity. Since she is able to work at home she decides to accept the challenge and she employs some local tradesmen to improve the facilities a little. But it is a lonely house set in overgrown woodland and Miriam is grateful when a strange-lo ...more
Jenny Reeve
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished, drama
Her Great Aunt Felicity has left Miriam Heachely Hall. But she has to live in the house for one year and one day before she can sell it and collect her money, that are the terms. There are some brilliant spooky moments in the story, you feel as though you are there with Miriam, you feel her fear! Miriam lives in the run down hall day and night where she hears odd noises and things happen that she is unable to explain….there is the weird dust that appears, where is it coming from and what exactly ...more
Crysti Jane
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
** Note: I received a complimentary copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. **

The first line of the blurb – “Miriam has one year to uncover Heachley Hall's unimaginable past and a secret that only women can discover.” - was the reason I wanted to read this one. I mean, who doesn’t want to know the secrets of an old mansion?

It took me 2 days to get 31% in. Part of this may be because it is written using British terms rather than American terms and I’ll admit that I am not well ver
Michele Zito
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The house is almost the main character of this book at one point, but the story behind it with all the people who lived in it is what develops into the up to date past and present.
Cannot really describe the story too much without revealing what happens, so you just have to read for yourselves.
I really would have wanted that this book did not end because I so enjoyed it and could not put it down until the very last page. Excellent first novel Rachel Walkley.
Michele Z
Paula Evans
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

Easy read. Outcome wasn't what I expected but definitely a good story. I would recommend this novel. Will look out for this author again.
Nicola Smith
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do love a book where a house is central to the story. I always think there's so much that can be uncovered and discovered about its past. So you can see why I was so keen to read The Women of Heachley Hall.

Miriam is a 28 year old illustrator living in Chelmsford. Until, that is, she inherits her late great-aunt Felicity's mansion house, Heachley Hall in Norfolk. Unfortunately, it's in a bit of a state and although it's habitable, it's far from ideal to live in. But live in it Miriam must, for
Renee
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic debut book. The characters are easy to fall in love with, the descriptions to details were done nicely and so easy to visualize and the dialogue flowed so well with these characters to make you feel as if you are a part of the conversation

This author knows how to write deep, rich, and colorful characters that are easy to relate to and fall in love with. Her story flows smoothly and has enough twists to keep you guessing. It has an interesting blend of suspense, action, and da
Tanya
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
she cant believe her luck when she inherits the hall. there is a condition she has to stay in it for a year and a day. the hall is in disrepair and there is a mystery there she must solve. see if she can solve it

Karen
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is intriguing and interesting paranormal romance. The character inherited a mansion that she wants to find what happened there. I liked reading this book.
Molly
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal mystery/ romance fans
Recommended to Molly by: Booksprout
a haunting story of love and redemption.

what mysteries lies within and behind the walls a no longer quite so young woman inherits from her Aunt?

enticing paranormal thriller / romance.

Audrey
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to give this 10 stars, I absolutely loved it. I don’t do spoilers so all I will say is buy this book. Highly recommended! So wish there was a follow up book !
Ann D
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very enigmatic and intriguing read about Miriam who inherits a derelict mansion from her great aunt, and her quest to discover more about her relative and the terms under which the house has been left to her. Although I enjoyed the book, I was disappointed with the number of grammatical, spelling and proof-reading errors littered throughout, which is unusual in a published novel.
sally whitfield
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Farfetched but enjoyable

This wasn't what I was expecting a bit daft but netherless an easy enjoyable story. It is only fiction after all!
Joanne Lidford
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Was really enjoying this until the “big reveal”, when it became too silly for words. Very disappointing.
Mary Spicer
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous read with wonderful characters

If you are looking for a good read with wonderful characters with an unusual outcome then this book for you.

Miriam has inherited a mansion from a long forgotten aunt but with a stipulation of staying for a year and a day. If she does not then she wavers the inheritance. No problem there you say, but the house is in disrepair, she must actually live in the house and work from there as if she already owns it. The heating doesn't work, there is no proper ki
June Churchill
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's difficult to review this without giving away the story. It's not the sort of book I usually read but I was gripped after a few pages. Basically the main character is left a mansion by her great aunt, whom she's only met a few times in her childhood. The stipulation to her inheritance is that Miriam has to live in the house for a year and a day before she sells it. Why? She researches the history of the house and makes some strange discoveries.
I really enjoyed the book but the author needs t
Angela Sandford
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoys books that have location settings near to where I live, coupled with a big house, it was my kind of story!
The story focussed on Charles, and the women that inhabited Heachley Hall. The last woman to take over Heachley Hall, was Miriam, a children’s illustrator, who inherited the Hall from her great Aunt. The Hall needs considerable work doing to it, and Charles helps Miriam to do up the property with a view to selling.
There are strict stipulations regarding Miriam’s inheritance.
Teddi
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
An engaging story but I had already guessed the twist.
I docked stars for 2 things. First, Miriam really annoyed me. She has inherited this derelict house yet she never does a single bit of work to improve it other than buying a few sticks of furniture. She never offers to help or to learn. She just comes across as entitled. What really pissed me off was when she started going thru Charles' things - I almost stopped reading at that point.
And I agree with other reviewers - there were quite a numbe
Marian
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hooked from the first sentence. Always something to keep you wanting to turn the next page. This book has all the emotions which keep the reader spellbound to the end without giving the plot away too early. Great holiday read.
Knowing the area which the book is set in makes you feel part of the fabric of Heachley Hall - fly on the wall. Could make the reader want to trace their family tree - see what lurks in the old photo albums.

When is the next one available?
Pauline Winter
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really good story

A really good story that kept me wanting to read on. The characters were believable and interesting. The description of the house and garden, everything, I could really picture it all, lovely description. How the story unfolds is such a surprise. Write more please Rachel!
Ashleigh Fay
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like so many of the other comments, I can’t quite put my finger on what makes this book a little treasure. It’s not sophisticated in its writing, the story twist is borderline foolish... BUT in the end I wouldn’t change it! I so enjoyed this story, a real tender little feel good book that is perfect for easy reading!
Pam Wilson
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!!!!

I really, really enjoyed this book. It was one of those books that I didn't want to put down, I couldn't wait to finish it to find out the secret, but I didn't want the story to end. All in all a very entertaining, book now I'm going to find others by this author.
Hayley
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit of a slow burner initially and the big twist was perhaps a little too fantastical but nevertheless this was a very different and unusual read. I enjoyed the slow unravelling of the events of the past and the characters seemed flawed and genuine. Unfortunate that so many typos and grammatical errors had been overlooked and it was a little description-heavy in the beginning.

• The House by the Sea
  • The Hidden Door: A gripping and moving timeslip romance
  • The House at Silvermoor
  • A Shadow Beyond
  • The Secret by the Lake
  • The English Oak (Tullagulla Book 2)
  • The Promise
  • The Secret of Provence House: The perfect beach read to escape into this summer 2020!
  • Echoes of the Runes
  • The Forgotten Secret
  • Darling Blue
  • The River is Down
  • A Secret Rose (Cornish Secrets #1)
Born in the Midlands, I grew up in East Anglia and am now firmly lodged in the North West of England. My first writing achievement was my Brownie badge and after that I've never let go of the dream of becoming of an author. Once a librarian and caretaker of books, I'm now a teller of tales and want to share with you the secrets that hide in the pages of my books.