Start by marking “If Life Is a Game, These Are the Rules: Ten Rules for Being Human as Introduced in Chicken Soup for the Soul” as Want to Read:

Ms. Carter-Scott originally wrote "The Ten Rules for Being Human" as a handout for a workshop she was teaching. They resonated with thousands of people and were photocopied, passed around, and stuck on refrigerator doors across the country. Eventually they were published in the phenomenal bestseller "Chicken Soup for the Soul." The rules contain basic truths that, when und ...more
Published September 15th 1998 by Harmony (first published January 1st 1998)

Rosie Nguyễn
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
It's not an excellent book, but it contents some useful ideas. I personally find the story about the girl who underwent many hardships inspiring. It reminds me that every step counts, it's just whether I can realize it or not. Instead of moaning and whining about the situation, just take a step back and ask: What can I learn from this experience, what lessons life is trying to teach me? In the end, there is no failure, there are only successes and lessons.
Brenda Deflem
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Well...if it was all that easy, all we had to do was to read this book, live by the rules of life and all end up completely feeling zen and hopping around full of happiness. Something tells me it doesn't work that way. She definitely got some points in her writing, but she just makes it sound like a walk in the park; like a button you can switch on after reading the "golden manual" and if it's not successful, then you don't have the right attitude or didn't quite understand "the rules of life". ...more
Gina
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great little reminder of all the things we know, but may have forgotten, and may or may not have ever been told. A quick book, full of wisdom much more easily read than applied. I often find these sorts of books to be either trite or disheartening, leaving you feeling either un-helped or hopeless. This one was different, though. While acknowledging that the work of human/spiritual development is a huge, important, and endless task, the approach and style work to remind you of why you have unde ...more
Reem_M_140A513
I found this book very useful, it is tremendously filled with helpful information, and from its name we can tell that it provides some kind of guidance and instruction.
It actually helps people or its readers to understand themselves, and others and the life around them, and it talks about human development and behavior, it is somewhat psychological but a bit more interesting, because it does not go deep into psychology, yet it gives absolute meaningful examples that are true stories to specify a
Nancy Fuller
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this book. This is a small easy to read book with very profound truths that make you really think. The rules also make you more aware of how you are living your life.
I highly recommend it to others
Tereca Moore
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Great rules....way too "wordy."
Shaimaa Mohamed
Nov 05, 2011 is currently reading it
اقرأ الان كتاب " إذا كانت الحياه لعبه ... فتلك هي قوانينها " ... عباره عن قصص إنسانيه حقيقيه مؤثره ... بعدالإنتهاء من قراءه كل قصه تجد ان نفسك قداكتسبت روح إنسانيه جديده ... و الجميل ان القصص لأناس من اديان مختلفه .. ما يجمعهم هو أنهم جميعاً " إنــــسان "
Ling
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and the lessons it has to teach. It had a lot of similar concepts that pull from spirituality and religions like Buddhism that I could relate to and it was described in ways that was easy to grasp and understand.
Sara
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very powerful read, very short - read it in a day and it was very inspiring.
Sandra
Oct 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Nice easy read with simple reminders
C.G. Fewston
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If Life is a Game, These are the Rules (1998) by Chérie Carter-Scott was first introduced as “Ten Rules for Being Human” in Chicken Soup for the Soul and has since spread its wisdom across the globe. The sage-like advice at times is simple and filled with common sense while at other times it penetrates deep into the soul of the human being capable of mindless mistakes or proactive change.

“While reading this book,” writes Chérie, “you will begin to see your life from a whole new perspective. If
Dana
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never been much of a self-help book reader but the title of this book definitely caught my attention. Written to inspire and motivate, the book discusses 10 rules to live by in order to live the life you want. There were some that truly reached me (especially the ‘adventure’ portion in rule 8 and the ‘trust’ portion in rule 9). Some that didn’t resonate that much and others that I flat out disagreed with (especially the ‘tolerance’ and ‘clarity’ portions of rule 7). But overall, it was a go ...more
Indy
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We never graduate from the School of Life, as it presents us lessons upon lessons until we have learnt them and demonstrated our mastery through tests and challenges in life.

Ten rules, seemingly easy, but it’s never easy to love ourselves, trust our inner voices and act according to our instincts. From time to time, we just need gentle yet firm reminders as listed in this book.

Life is interesting and exciting, isn’t it?
Natalie Ottosen
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago, and there was something so familiar to me. It was a game changer for me... I have a few of them. It's a quick read, and one I always have extra copies of, to give away.
I do my best to remember and live by the principles, daily.
Džejlana
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I see where this book was going but i feel it is not finished. I don't know is it because i am reading translated version but feels too fake.
I did enjoy some examples in book and few chapters were relatable but the rest was just dull.
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I needed.
Saška Stojakov
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Universal knowledge we are all familiar with. Easy for reading, the flow of the story goes on and full of examples as a book which deals with such topic should be. :)
sami al-khalili
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little book that grows on you.
Sparks Lowry
Got more out of this than I expected.
Keepingthedream
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-list
A must read.
Christine Bibro
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Thought provoking. This isn't a cure-all manual, yet I found many of her insights, observations worth consideration. If you learned just one thing from this book, it was worth reading.
Rachel
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Re-Read, it's always next to my bed on my nightstand. Very wise book!
FreshGrads .Sg
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Have you ever wondered if life were a game, then what were the rules? If you did, this compact book of common sense and ten principles on how to get the best out of life is perfect for you.

As practical guide to one of her self-development workshops, Cherie Carter-Scott came up with her list of basic yet essential truths to life. She has a PhD in human and organisational development and for nearly 30 years, worked as a life coach, international lecturer, consultant as well as author. Her other bo
Robert Day
Sure, it's sensible advice in a new-age, materialistic way, and you could say that some of the points have a little depth, but its not really life transforming stuff - not really. And a lot of it made me cringe.

The below represents what I remember, but some of it might be what I already knew before. And those two things might not be the same thing.

Rule 1: You will receive a body.
This kinda puts Cherie in the 'mind is not brain' camp and recommends to us that we should look after our body.

Rule 2:
April
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely reminders about the lessons in life which make life worth living. I am on board with this book and its teachings/reminders. I choose to live my life with similar guidelines as this book shares.

"If self-esteem is a lesson that you need to learn, you will be tested over and over until you feel confident about who you are and understand and believe in your intrinsic value. Your body may provide you with enough opportunities to work on this lesson throughout your entire lifetime." pg. 14

"When
Mona
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
من الأشياء التي لم تعجبني في الكتاب:

-ذكرت بعض الحكم و الأقوال نسبتها لكُتاب وغيرهم وهي في الحقيقة احاديث وآيات وُجِدت قبلهم.

وذكرت في القانون الثامن حكاية صديقاً لها في الجامعة كان دائماً يقول:" لا تأسف على ما مضى ولكن على الأشياء التي لم تفعلها". ماوجدته مناقضاً حول عدم التذكر والتأسي والتعلق بالماضي والندم..

من الأقوال التي اعجبتني:
- انك اذا اردت ان تقلع عن شي او تفعل شي وتلتزم به فعليك اختياره بأقتناع لا تفكر انه واجب عليك لانك ستشعر بالتضحية وتتراجع او تتعب بفعله.
-الصبر على التغيير ليست مهمة س
Mariam Al Ali
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finished recently from reading this so interesting and juicy book, its a summary of my favorite childhood series of books "chicken soup for life"
Mohsin Khan
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I remember picking up this book and not putting it down until I had read the last word. "If Life Is a Game, These Are the Rules" is something more than just a book. It is closer to being a guide towards better understanding oneself by inspiring one to introspectively reinforce their sense of self. Carter-Scott writes magically, in such a way that makes one feel as though each and every word is alive. Every sentence has been engineered to resonate deeply, gently compelling the reader to question ...more
Sheree
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this little book during a very confusing time. It helped to calm my "now" and helped me imagine a "new". I absolutely believe that making a list of my own needs - the needs God created in me - and list the characteristics of the people i needed around me allowed me to focus and create clarity. Without that I would have stayed in the pit of confused co-dependence. It's a vicious destructive place. She refers to the universe but for me that's easy to translate to God. Why ask the waiter how ...more
Anthony Tenaglier
The concept of the book is great. Life is a game. The rules are concise, but the examples for me are not personalized enough. When I read a book, I look forward to the author's experiences. Especially in self help. Because a book is like getting into the mind of a person. I want to know more about how she is playing the game of life. It's one thing to state them and present them with "off the shelf" examples. It's another to show the ups and downs of her experiences and when she doesn't follow t ...more

• Fat, Broke  Lonely No More: Your Personal Solution to Overeating, Overspending, and Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places
  • The Magic Lamp: Goal Setting for People Who Hate Setting Goals
  • Easier Than You Think ...because life doesn't have to be so hard: The Small Changes That Add Up to a World of Difference
  • If... Questions for the Game of Life (If..., #1)
  • Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything...in Business (and in Life)
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • What Would Buddha Do?: 101 Answers to Life's Daily Dilemmas
  • Chicken Soup for the Girlfriend's Soul: Celebrating the Friends Who Cheer Us Up, Cheer Us On and Make Our Lives Complete (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Secrets of Mind Power: How to Organize and Develop the Hidden Powers of Your Mind
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • A Year of Living Consciously: 365 Daily Inspirations for Creating a Life of Passion and Purpose
  • The Right Words at the Right Time
  • Orlando Bloom Has Ruined Everything: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Book of (Even More) Awesome
  • Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time
“Other people are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.” 11 likes
“Remind yourself often that self-esteem is ephemeral. You will have it, lose it, cultivate it, nurture it, and be forced to rebuild it over and over again.” 8 likes