Start by marking “A Dangerous Duet (Victorian Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Duet (Victorian Mystery #1)

A Dangerous Duet

(Victorian Mystery #1)

This dazzling new Victorian mystery from USA Today bestselling author Karen Odden introduces readers to Nell Hallam, a determined young pianist who stumbles upon the operations of a notorious—and deadly—crime ring while illicitly working as the piano player in a Soho music hall. Perfect for readers of Tasha Alexander, Anne Perry, and Deanna Raybourn.

Nineteen-year-old Nell
Published November 6th 2018 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Duet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Duet

Start your review of A Dangerous Duet (Victorian Mystery #1)
Jessica
I received this book for free free as part of an Instagram tour (TLC Book Tours specifically) I did to promote the book.

This was a very intriguing historical fiction mystery.

The book’s strongest point was that it was very atmospheric. It nailed that grimy Victorian England vibe perfectly. The author did a tremendous job bringing that world to life and evoking an air of mystery.

I liked how the book focused on the unsavory parts of Victorian England. From the life of orphans to brothels, this boo
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

What else could be happening behind the scenes at The Octavian except piano playing and entertaining of every sort?

Nell played there to earn money for tuition to the Royal Academy even though her policeman brother didn’t know about it and wouldn’t approve. Too many shady characters in that building and not safe to be walking back alone at night.

Nell was definitely getting herself into something dangerous, and she didn’t know it. Nell heard so many different stories about what each person was li
Wendy
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed "A Dangerous Duet", a Victorian mystery, by Karen Odden.
Nineteen year old Nell Hallam has a dream. She wants to study piano at the Royal Academy and will do anything to make her dream come true.
In order to be able to pay her tuition she must dress as a man and work as the piano player in a Soho music hall. There she stumbles upon the operations of a prominent and deadly crime ring. She is drawn into a conspiracy and falls for the hall owner's charming son, Jack. Is Jack inv
Amy Bruestle
First off, let me say that I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. And I am sooo glad I did! It got me thinking - So far, out of all the books that I have won via giveaways, I haven’t disliked any of them. AND even better is the fact that most of the books are slightly out of my genre comfort zone too. Yet I still thoroughly enjoyed all of them...so far at least...hopefully I’m not setting myself up for failure by saying so.

Anyways, my thoughts on the book.
Donna Foster
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
A proper clean read that is in tune and musically written.
Asheley
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a little bit new to reading historical mysteries, but I’m really loving them right now. When given the opportunity to read A Dangerous Duet by Karen Odden, I jumped on it because I liked the synopsis plus I also saw that it was being described as “perfect” for fans of Anne Perry. And I did enjoy this story so much. I love pretty much anything Victorian London, and I think the story’s leading lady Nell Hallam is just fiery and fun.

Nell Hallam loves to play piano more than anything. She’s incr
Blodeuedd Finland
A historical mystery will always win over a modern one. It's darker, and harder to catch bad guys.

Nell is a pianist and she needs to earn money. What else to do than to dress up like a guy and play at a music hall. She is careful, and she wouldn't have gotten away with it if her brother had not been coming home late every night. Music is her passion and she wants to study and learn more.

I must say I was quite fascinated by her Scotland Yard detective brother. I would love to learn more about him
Kate Baxter
Such a delightful and captivating read this was. Foggy streets of Victorian London, sinister forms lurking in shadow, poor urchins stealing riches in exchange for bread and a dry sleeping spot. Juxtapose that against the lovely yet modest home in Mayfair where nineteen year old Nell Hallam runs through her scales and arpeggios in preparation for her piano audition at the Royal Academy of Music. Of course there's no point in preparing for the audition if you have no money for tuition.

Nell has se
Glen
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

A young woman during the Victorian era pays for tuition to music school by playing for plebian dance halls. Her brother is a Bobby. Of course, she gets involved in a Jack the Ripper type case.

Not too bad, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Renee
Spunky, charming heroine. Immersive Dickensian settting. Talented Gothic storytelling. Great narration. Enjoyable!
Nidofito
Rating: 3.5/5

I didn't find it as exciting as Odden's debut, but it was a pleasurable read nonetheless. Nell was a great heroine and the narrator was really good to listen to.
Rebecca
Another unique, historical mystery from Odden. I've quickly become a fan of her writing. I especially appreciate a Scotland Yard detective who is a good guy and would read more about Matthew in a heartbeat.
Deep_Abyss
Kathleen
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really great read and really kept my interest. The MC is a pianist so the story has a very heavy musical bent. Not being musical myself, sometimes I was a bit lost, but it did make for an interesting story line. The author does a great job building the characters and they each came alive while I was reading really easily and really well. Since the MC's brother is a police detective I am going to assume there may be more books in the future and that makes me happy. Thanks goes to the p ...more
Marlene
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

There are plenty of comparisons to life being like an onion – including the bit about weeping through the process.

One of the characters in this story is a bit more specific. His comment is that people’s stories are like onions, that you have to peel them back layer by layer to get the whole thing. And that’s truer of his story than most as it turns out.

But the life that is really being peeled back in this story is Nell Hallam’s. We first meet her as a young
Lady Delacour
Now that I have
let out the breath
that I did not know
I was holding during
my pregnant pause, I
will continue on with my
review of this somewhat
interesting murder mystery.
I was disheartened that the
entertaining element was
somehow missing for me.
Listened with TTS.
Clean with Mild Foul Language.
Kathleen Freeman
I liked this story and how it all unfolded. I really liked how the main characters were not the story of the super rich/nobility or the really poor it was about working people. I look forward to the next in the series.
Mel Raschke
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very addictive story. I gravitate to historical fiction. This book was researched and a great debut novel for this author. Now I need to find the second book.
Elizabeth White
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this in a giveaway and so glad I did. I could have read it in one sitting had I not had to stop on occasion to engage in other facets of life like eating, sleeping and doing dishes. I like the author's writing style. Nell's character was vividly portrayed and there was just enough suspense to keep me interested.
Kathy Martin
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nineteen-year-old Nell Hallam has has been working at the Octavian music hall for some months to raise money so the she can attend the Royal Academy and study piano. Of course to do so, she needs to disguise herself as a man and not let her older brother Matthew know what she is doing. Matthew is newly an inspector at Scotland Yard. He has been quite busy lately trying to track down a ring of thieves.

Nell has some interesting times and meets some interesting people. While she tries to avoid Mr.
Megan Williams
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very VERY good. Victorian London, Scotland Yard, Fleet Street, the Thames...what more could you want? A SY Inspector and his piano playing sister. Great characters, wonderful descriptions of London and emerging feminism. READ IT.
Megan Iranpour
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway! I really enjoyed it. The story flowed so smoothly, and I was engaged from page one. The characters are well developed and I was invested in them as I read. Once the main character begins to unravel a crime/mystery, it really goes fast, as you want to know what happened! More a fiction crime mystery than historical fiction, I enjoyed this story from start to finish.
Kidlitter
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A DRC was provided by Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This is an energetic and absorbing mystery, set in the vibrant world of the Victorian music hall. Going out to theaters to enjoy live entertainment was an enormous part of British culture for many decades. The music hall was a place where a variety of acts performed, often alternating serious culture with lowbrow and comic bits. Singers, dancers, comics, and freaks all competed to be part of the lineup, where they could be
Veronika
you can find this & other cool stuff @ The Regal Critiques

Much thanks to the publisher who provided me with an ARC through Edelweiss!

THE INITIAL EXCITEMENT

I'm not sure what it was about A Dangerous Duet, but it had my attention from the first moment I laid my eyes upon the title on Edelweiss. Perhaps my fascination had to do with the way the quietness and simplicity of cover reminded me of soft piano music, while the word "dangerous" in the title promised an edge-of-your-seat Victorian myster
Jessica Higgins
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Odden composes a delightful mystery!

Nell Hallam has a dream to study piano at the Royal Academy in London, but since her father passed, it will be difficult to earn the tuition. She and her brother Matthew live in Mayfair, which is a nice area of London, and he is an inspector at Scotland Yard. Determined not to trouble her brother with her dream, Nell has developed an alias as a man named Ed Nell and lands a gig playing the piano at the Octavian, a music hall in Soho. She knows her brother woul
Jessica
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tours
Thanks to William Morrow and TLC Book Tours for the free copy!

If you’re a fan of historical fiction with some mystery elements, then this is the next book for you! A DANGEROUS DUET is set in Victorian England – which is a time period I know many readers are fond of – and Odden does an incredible job transporting the reader there. Absorbing and atmospheric, you’ll find yourself captivated with Nell’s story.

Nell is nineteen and a very talented pianist. She desperately wants to attend the Royal Aca
Kate
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

My Review
I first saw A Dangerous Duet when I was looking through HarperCollins' site in the Coming Soon to see what book I would add to TBR list. Then my eyes set upon A Dangerous Duet and I had to review it. I honestly had no idea what to expect. It was a historical fiction novel and that was good enough for me. The moment I started reading
Victoria Colotta
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Highly Caffeinated Thought: A vivid and engaging novel packed with music, emotion, and a few crimes most foul.

A DANGEROUS DUET is just the type of historical intrigue I enjoy sitting down with on a cold fall day. This Victorian era novel has the right amount of heart, dastardly actions, and the authenticity of the time period.

As you may or may not know based on any of my previous reviews, I love a good historical fiction novel. If you can combine a mystery with historical accuracy, then you
Chazzi
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delighted to receive this book through Early Readers!

Nell Hallam and her brother Matthew share a nice home in Mayfair. He and inspector at Scotland Yard, she an aspiring concert pianist of high talent.

For Nell, acceptance into the Royal Academy is her goal, but it is out of their means. To earn money she has taken to playing piano at the Octavian, a Soho music hall. To do this she must dress as a man and sneak out of the house at night. Victorian society would frown on her doing this side job in
Megan
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you William Morrow for the free review copy.

A Dangerous Duet was a quick, absorbing read that I almost didn’t pick up after realizing it’s considered a mystery (not something I steer towards). I’m so glad I gave it a chance.

It’s 1875. Nell is nineteen and a talented pianist. She lives with her brother, an investigator at Scotland Yard. In trying to earn tuition money so she can attend the Royal Academy, she sneaks out several nights a week to play at the Octavian, a music hall in an unsav
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
  • Murder at the Opera (Atlas Catesby, #3)
  • Death Comes to the Nursery (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #7)
  • Murder at Morrington Hall (A Stella and Lyndy Mystery, #1)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • Who Speaks for the Damned (Sebastian St. Cyr, #15)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • Felicity Carrol and the Perilous Pursuit (Felicity Carrol Mystery #1)
  • Death Brings a Shadow (A Gilded Age Mystery #4)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • Poppy Redfern and the Midnight Murders (A Woman of WWII Mystery #1)
  • Laetitia Rodd and the Case of the Wandering Scholar (A Laetitia Rodd Mystery #2)
  • Lady Takes the Case (Manor Cat Mystery #1)
  • And Dangerous to Know (Rosalind Thorne Mystery #3)
  • Ask Me No Questions (A Lady Dunbridge Mystery #1)
  • A Golden Grave
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)

Victorian Mystery (2 books)
  • A Trace of Deceit (Victorian Mystery #2)