Start by marking “Box of Bones #1” as Want to Read:
Box of Bones #1

Box of Bones #1

When Black graduate student, Lyndsey, begins her dissertation work on a mysterious box that pops up during the most violent and troubled time in Africana history, she has no idea that her research will lead her on a phantasmagorical journey from West Philadelphia riots to Haitian slave uprisings. Wherever Lyndsey finds someone who has seen the Box, chaos ensues. Soon, even ...more
Published March 28th 2018 by Rosarium Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Box of Bones #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Box of Bones #1

Chad
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
Kind of an African-American version of Hellraiser. A young lady is researching these paranormal creatures that have appeared throughout history. Then we get a flashback to her grandfather's encounter with the monster when he was a young man. I liked the chunky, moody art as well.
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

Normally I don't read comics as single issues but this popped up on NetGalley and looked intriguing. It's definitely a really nice start to what could be a very unique horror comic, but it's a bit too short to contain much more than an extended background/flashback story. I did really like the unique art style and overall mood though.

Ije the Devourer of Books
Part one of a story about a young woman who decides to do her Phd on the myth of the Box of Bones which is a monster that carries out vengeance on behalf of people.

In this volume the young woman recounts a story told by her grandfather when the box of bones was used to wreak vengeance on a group of white men who had beaten up and raped a young black woman. The young woman decides that she cannot live without vengeance but the bones exact a toll on those who call upon its powers.

It is an interes
Nessa
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-own-ecopy
I'm not a huge graphic novel reader but this one intrigued me. I found the content chilling and graphic...just the way it should be. The flashback in the story (which was the main focus it seems) drew me right in and held my interest. This was an incredibly graphic, gory and terrifying first chapter. The graphics were very well done although t=some of the text I had a hard time reading. I definitely want to know what happens next! I may be converted!
Etienne
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not good! I didn't like the illustrations style. I didn't like the story and I didn't like the kind of horror it try to present. To compare itself to the Tales From The Crypt is very very presomptuous!!
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This is only the first chapter in what looks to be a multichapter graphic novel, so it is a bit hard to judge wher ethis will go, but this is very dark and gruesome, so far. Not that what happens in real life is not dark and gruesome, but you have been warned.

Lyndsey Ford is writing a dissertation on something called the Box of Bones, which can, at least in the first story, in this chapter, enact revenge, but at a great price. We are witness to this violence, done as a revenge for gang rape, and
Theediscerning
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brisk and enjoyably gaudy look at the evil monsters and suchlike contained in black myth. An anthropologist sets out her research thesis to begin here, and extended flashback proves the cause of her specialisation to be the testimony of her sightless, blues-plucking grandfather. It's standard fare, but done with visual brio if nothing else – I suspect the full ten-part project will be rather enjoyable. Three and a half stars perhaps for this launch episode, but rounded up with optimism.
Jim
Wow. This was intense.

But pretty cool for an indie horror comic. Maybe not for the faint of heart, but I definitely found it interesting. And I liked the art. I’ll be looking for issues 2-10!

Monsters take many forms.

Thanks to NetGalley and Rosarium Publishing for a copy in return for an honest review.
Mindy
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sadly, I really don't think this is a series that I'll continue, although I may try one more chapter before deciding for sure. The premise of it sounded really interesting to me. As a white person, raised in Christianity, I'm always interested in discovering more about other cultures and religions. This one doesn't really go into any like I thought it might. It shows a very superficial view to the story while at the same time being more descriptive with violence, which I'm just not personally in ...more
Kenesha Williams
Sep 06, 2018
Romero
Jul 17, 2018
Kelly
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Off to a promising start!

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through NetGalley. Trigger warning for racism, misogyny, and violence, including rape.)

I very rarely read single issues of comic books, let alone review them, for one simple fact: I just don't have the patience to wait for the next issue in the series! Much like TV shows, I'd rather wait until the entire series has come out and then binge them all at once. But when the fledgling issue of Box of Bones popped up on NetGa
Gerran Walker
Aug 08, 2018
drék
Dec 10, 2018
BookKitteh
Apr 25, 2018
J.D. DeHart
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Box of Bones surprised me as I was expecting a straight horror/science fiction comic. Those elements are contained in the book, but there is more here in terms of place, context, and culture that adds a layer to this experience. The book is violent, of course - the cover is a giveaway on this fact, as well as the book's description from the publisher. What is interesting is the way the artist pairs this violence with a sense of the rounded edges and splash of a cartoon image.
Toya