Start by marking “Story Driven: You don't need to compete when you know who you are” as Want to Read:
Story Driven: You don't need to compete when you know who you are

Story Driven: You don't need to compete when you know who you are

"When you have something to say, you don't need to shout. Bernadette Jiwa helps us learn how to create the change we seek to make in the world."
—SETH GODIN

Every one of us—regardless of where we were born, how we were brought up, how many setbacks we’ve endured or privileges we’ve been afforded—has been conditioned to compete to win. Ironically, the people who create fulf
Published February 27th 2018 by Perceptive Press

To ask other readers questions about Story Driven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Story Driven

Sam
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I found this book helpful, inspiring and at once simple and profound. I recommend highly. I underlined many portions.

From page 13, one of my favorite excerpts.

“Great companies have something in common: they don’t try to matter by winning. They win by mattering. The people who build them know what they stand for and act on those beliefs. What they think, say and do are always in alignment. Their story is consistent. Great companies rise to our expectations by being who they said they would be.”
Noam
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can you put your finger on what it is that will make your business successful? What will enable it to thrive, outlive the hype, stand out and pave a clear path through the distraction around us? Do you know what will grow it out of 'survival' mode into a business that flourishes and leads for years to come?

In a day and age of outsourcing, manufacturing abroad, easy digital scale, competition, clutter, and noise- Your vision, your team, your partners and even your business goals may all change ov
Sue Cartwright
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book by Bernadette which advocates an alternative path to success. Rather than trying to beat the competition there is another, better way. This is to establish a powerful sense of 'identity' where you tell your real story - the story that gets to the heart of what makes you and the work you do so unique and valuable.

I love the idea of creating a 'business philosophy' that shapes both your internal and external narratives to authentically amplify the best of you and the benefi
Vito
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the recommendation of Seth Godin, I picked this up, however, it wasn’t quite what I expected.

It’s a marketing book, but not quite a how-to guide. Rather, Jiwa clearly articulates the need to tell your (or your business’) story as the core of what you do.

There were a few gems to walk away with, especially in the first part of the book. My favourite is your marketing should be an amplification of your story, not a manipulation of it.

When you revolve your business around your story, the marketin
Leigh
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A straightforward clear book arguing that business doesn't have to be a cutthroat appeal to money and is instead far better driven by the story of human beings. Jiwa outlines her theory and then offers real life examples of businesses that follow their personal stories -- including backstory, history and values -- to create growing and lucrative businesses in an authentic way.

I had the opportunity soon after reading the book to be part of an online book club she joined. Someone asked her what to
Caroline Flanagan
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Worth a speed read

While I loved the premise and underlying message of this book - to connect with who you are and what matters most and to be driven by your story - I was slightly disappointed to discover that this was purely focused on business owners. As a business owner myself I did find the book was relevant, but I was disappointed not to see the subject of being Story Driven applied and explored in a more personal context - e.g. how does an employee become story driven as an individual, and
Dr. Byron Ernest
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rewriting The Story To Create The Future!

This book is outstanding and warrants the writing of a review. I did a great deal of highlighting while reading this book and tweeting. Bernadette does an outstanding job of guiding us through how to differentiate ourselves, our brands, and our organizations by telling the right story. In order to do this she teaches us in the reading how to know who we are, what we stand for, where we are headed, and what has made us personally, our brand, and our organi
Maybelline Tan
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

Good ideas and questions at the back section to help business brainstorm ideas. For people without a business, this book can still be used to gain clarity on personal life’s directions and growth. Became a little dull when I got to the part where the author shares examples of other businesses, there were too many examples. However I know it can be helpful to gain different perspectives from these businesses and their model and make it applicable to our own business. Since I don’t own a
Flor Bradley
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast and very insightful read.

She writes about being story driven by storytelling. The story about her brother and about moments like this one as well as “good, happy” moments change our perspective on life was what resonated the most for me because like her this is so true in my life as well and has definitely been the ignition for this self exploratory journey I have been on in the last two years. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and nuggets with the world.
Frans
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
At this time I am thinking the actual massage behind Chimamand Ngozi Adichie most popular TED talk "The danger of of a single story" is that we all have our own unique story and we need to tell it. Jiwa's take that the most successful people and business are not driven by competition but a story may not be entirely whole but is relevant and part to a powerful story.
Jasky Singh
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This book would have been better as a long form blog post. It would be an incredible blog post. There was nothing substantial in this, that it had to be stretched out to a book, lots of repetition. Great ideas and valuable for someone new to marketing. Not worth investing hours into reading though.
Amy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A go-to resource for brand development

I have referenced concepts and ideas from this book multiple times since I began reading it. I will be using the framework of a story driven brand with my own business as well as incorporating it into the work I do with clients. If you are looking at the brand or culture of your business, this book is a must read.
Justin Smith
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve often wondered why so many companies start to suck after the founder has left or passed away. I now know that it’s because they have transitioned from being a story-driven company to a competition-driven company. I also learned that being story-driven isn’t just a good business model, it’s a good model for your personal life as well.
Curtismchale
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Story Driven is a book that is supposed to help us build our story and be authentic with our customers about where we are at and what we stand for. The book gets rolling well as it dives into convincing us that being authentic is what is needed to stand out. That we should not focus on competition, but on being a brand that is driven by our story.

It has what looks like a good framework to build our story and take it into action in our business.

Bernadette Jiwa just never brings it home for me. Th
Rick Yvanovich
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stories clearly move things

For hundreds of years stories have driven the agenda and success (and failure) of both people and organisations. In today’s VUCA world it’s even more important to use stories to communicate more clearly and emotionally and thus drive things.
Daniel B-G
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, other, dnf
I should have read the blurb more carefully, I thought this was a psychology book, but it was a book on management and product development, so I got nothing out of it. I tried to struggle through, but it just isn't the sort of thing I'm interested in.
Elizabeth
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I skim-read this because it seemed repetitive. There are good case studies about large corporations, but it failed to bring relevance to small business for me. I was hoping the framework would be more relatable too.
Jeffrey Stasko
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this little book is one of the best things I've ever read regarding branding. I highlighted so many insightful lines. Five stars all the way.
Ola  Hesselroth
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing new!
Dominik
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspiring. Concise and to the point. YMMV on how useful you find the detailed examples of companies at the end (I didn't particularly). I'd prefer a bit more depth.
Vi
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
fluffy book.
Andres Silva O.
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great and easy to digest reading

Bernadette never gets complicated nor boring - liked every chapter and the practical advices on each of them
Nice way of closing the book
Alexander Novicov
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an amazing book to understand why brand storytelling is important. Highly recommend it.
Brad Revell
Jul 08, 2018
varadarajandeepak
Sep 09, 2018
Meraj Choudhari
rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2018