Start by marking “Down Range: To Iraq and Back” as Want to Read:
Down Range: To Iraq and Back

Down Range: To Iraq and Back

There are some things people don't get over easily -- pain from the past is one of them.

Trauma changes people: It changes values, priorities, worldviews, and most of all … it changes how we relate to others. Painful, life-threatening experiences take people beyond the normal day-to-day life, leaving them stuck behind defensive walls that keep them from re-entering the wor
Published July 1st 2005 by Pine Hill Graphics

To ask other readers questions about Down Range, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Range

Start your review of Down Range: To Iraq and Back
Steve Woods
This book is useful. It is pretty simple and straightforward and hence will be fairly accessible to its intended audience. In that it serves. The importance of a soldier returning from combat to note the details of what they experience as a normal and common response to arduous and sometimes traumatic experience is of paramount importance. Otherwise the sense of being different and alone and somehow flawed develops into an inward spiraling vise that will ultimately destroy the individual and any ...more
Carrie Brang
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I'd rate this book 5 stars out of 5. It is a good read for seasoned Veteran's, active duty troops who have not yet been deployed to a war zone, recent combat Veteran's who may be struggling and family members of loved ones of deployed troops. It extensively covers behavior changes you may have experienced or witnessed in loved ones, thoroughly explains the phenomenon of PTSD, and discusses what's normal, what's not and what kind of behavior should signal red flag warnings. I appreciate the discu ...more
Scott Paxman
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The information provided is useful and written in colloquial terms understandable to all. Yet, there are many grammatical mistakes. For example, many sentences have misplaced words and an awkward or incorrect structure. When one sees the chapter heading “Sisteen” instead of sixteen, it makes one question the professional time and effort put into the book.

Some Tactics Given:
Recognize your wounds, identify triggers, talk about your thoughts and feelings, connect with a support group, and practice
Rachel Tatu
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was slightly insightful to the civilian reader. However, as it is written for returning OIF Veterans, I felt that it was very validating and resourceful. I will definitely suggest it to my boyfriend (Ex OIF Marine) to read as I believe he can find some use for it. It includes in-depth explanations of PTSD and how to better handle it (for the vet and civilian).
Amanda
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vets, service members, service members families
Recommended to Amanda by: Army FRG
I couldn't decide if I should give this book three or four stars; but I think I'll settle on the three.

All in all it was a good book. I did not dislike it. It was informative and very simply written. It reads almost like a manual (again an easy to read one.) I definitely think that family members of service members and even soldiers should pick this book up; it's not going to hurt to have read this one.

Now here's what I didn't like about the book. It's written in second person perspective (whi
Julia
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: written-reviews
I did not read this from the prospective of a soldier/airman, but from the prospective of a spouse. A spouse that HAS been shot at but does not suffer from PTSD. I believe that this is a helpful book, even if PTSD is not a factor. Because whether or not someone has PTSD, war still changes people, and some of the changes with a combat veteran mirror PTSD symptoms.

This book was given out to us at the "before you go" presentation prior to the deployment. I think it can be read before leaving, which
Mike
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is written for soldiers (or their loved ones) who think they might be struggling with PTSD. The book goes over the signs and symptoms of PTSD and offers some self help tips as well as pointing to resources that someone would need to deal with their disorder. The authors use expertise and experience to connect to the soldiers on their level. One author is a Vietnam vet who tries to relate to the soldiers through common military language which for the most part is endearing but can becom ...more
Erin
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This was helpful. I think a lot of it I was already aware of, but it was good to brush up. Even though one reads the information it is much more difficult to put into practice. The stories in there are also a little more difficult to read for me. Even though I knew the horrors, it is hard to be reminded of them like that and then reminded again that our loved ones are living through that, and it isn't just a story for them. I would recommend this to all who are in or have family in the military.
Dolly
May 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: deploying military members and their families
I received this book and started reading it when I thought I was about to deploy. That deployment was canceled, but I decided to finish reading the book in any case, to get a feel for what I could expect to experience when I do return from an eventual deployment. Though Army and infantry-focused, I think it is a valuable book for all deploying military members and their families, guiding them through the redeployment phase and the often difficult transition, especially from a combat zone.
Sandy
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book came at SUCH a good time.
It is geared for the soldier coming back from being deployed in a war zone and for their families and friends.

So much is explained in this small book... it is packed with info so far. I plan to finish it tonight so I'll add to this review if more is needed then.

A God send in my opinion. I'm giving my copy to my son and his wife and if I had money, I'd buy a copy for every one we know!
Wendroz
Jun 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Well I like war even less now. This book discuss the struggles the soldiers face coming back to the States. It discuss the difficulties with workplace reentry, families and coping with PTSD. It is written by a PhD and a vetran of the viet nam war. Not light reading - I had to re read Harry Potter after this :-)
Keith Garner
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you have a soldier that has been to war, this book is awesome, it really helps put things in perspective. It is good for close family members as well to help them too understand how to handle the inevitable changes that come from the demons of war.
suzy
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vets, peopele who know vets, anyone interested in PTSD
Really informative, especially about PTSD and the lasting effects of experiencing combat. I liked the soldiers' stories from different wars and how what they experienced continues to haunt them. Enlightening.
Ginabug1nonly
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good insight...very helpful to soldiers and their families about what a war time deployment can do.
Stuart Moss
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A scientific perspective on mental battles that warriors endure.
Respectfully,
Stuart Moss
Kath
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very well stated presentation regarding PTSD and ways to approach reintegration to society and family life.
Kay Webb
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
GREAT for understanding how to help your soldier that's been to Iraq.
Dana
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
A helpful book for people suffering from mental difficulties caused by war.
Ashley
Feb 03, 2013 marked it as to-read
#
Own in paperback.
NC

FS: "I think most little boys dream of one day becoming soldiers."

LS: "Please take the a moment to fill our this form and pass it on to your course facilitator."
Steve Holley
Sep 03, 2016
Karen
Feb 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Girls Who Went Away: The Hidden History of Women Who Surrendered Children for Adoption in the Decades Before Roe V. Wade
  • Ocotillo Dreams
  • Enrique's Journey
  • Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18)
  • Cemetery Road
  • The Practical Art of Suicide Assessment: A Guide for Mental Health Professionals and Substance Abuse Counselors
  • Watch Me Disappear
  • The Silent Wife
  • Robin
  • 14 (Threshold, #1)
  • Wooden Churches: A Celebration
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #1)
  • On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • Everyone Has A Story: Using the Hero's Journey and Narrative Therapy to Reframe the Struggle of Mental Illness
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • Point of Contact (Jack Ryan Universe, #23)
Dr. Bridget Cantrell was appointed the 2008 and 2004 Outstanding Female Non-Veteran for her service to veterans by the Governor’s Veterans Affairs Advisory Committee and the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs. In 2008, she received the Didi Hirsch Foundation Leadership Award for Erasing the Stigma of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
She has her Doctorate of Philosophy in Clinical