Start by marking “Reversed: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Reversed: A Memoir

Reversed: A Memoir

"HE'S THE WORST CHILD I'VE SEEN IN 20 YEARS OF TEACHING."
When Lois Letchford learns her son has been diagnosed with a low IQ at the end of grade one, she refuses to give up on his future. Testing showed Nicholas had no spatial awareness, limited concentration, and could only read ten words; he is labeled "learning disabled," a designation considered more derogatory than "
Published March 13th 2018 by Acorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Reversed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reversed

Wendi Gross
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Reversed-A Memoir is a captivating story about a mother's love to help her struggling son who is having difficulty learning/reading in school.
The schools do not have the interest or expertise to help, so Mom steps in and takes on the difficult task of figuring out the puzzle of his issue and how to solve it. It takes countless hours, tireless energy and the love of a Mom who doesn't quit until she can tackle his disability and make her son the best he can be. This is a heartwarming
Narelle Todman
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have known Lois for many years and have known of, and seen firsthand, her struggles with finding solutions for Nicholas to engage him in reading and learning.
However, until I read this wonderful book, I had no idea how creative and innovative Lois was in her relentless search for helping Nicholas master skills that most of us take for granted.

Her love, patience, persistence and resilience in the face of much opposition or even apathy from teachers, and her lateral thinking, have enabled Nichol
Hannah
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lois writes from the heart, conveying a very real sense of the determination and strength required throughout her journey.

I read this book with interest, as someone who was Home Educated and is now a teacher. I could relate to many of the author's observations about learning styles, techniques to engage students and the roadblocks encountered in the education system.

Lois writes in retrospect: a story which at the beginning, sounds as though it could never have culminated in such fantastic resu
Sonya Devaraj
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reluctantly started reading Lois Letchford's Reversed-A Memoir, at the insistence of a friend. But it turned out to be one of my best reads! An incredible narrative of hope, love, determination, patience and perseverance. The writing is simple yet powerful and you ache for Lois at every hurdle and cheer for Nicholas at each of his milestone.
A book for every parent, every teacher.
Loretta Parsons
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Reversed: A Memoir” is an empowering, inspiring and, at times, gut-wrenching emotional roller coaster ride. The author’s young son has a debilitating learning disability. Yet, through her unwavering maternal dedication and the boy’s extraordinary determination, he eventually reaches a pinnacle of academic success. Along the way we experience with them the frustrations and anxieties of many struggles as well as many small and large victories. I found every story and every vignette conveyed with ...more
Lynn Jerabek
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a reluctant or incapable reader, whatever the cause.
Nicholas could not read, the schools that should have taught him would not teach him. His mum saw promise and used Nicholas' recitation of a story about an "Enormous Turnip" and a game she made up loosely referred to as "should, could, would and elephant pee" to unlock the mystery. Lois Letchford says, "I am a risk taker, adventurous and love the unknown, but do not consider myself smart." Still, with courage and good humor, Ms. Letchford takes us on a creative adventure into the unknown and sho ...more
Michelle Radke
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Reversed: A Memoir" is an uplifting, real-life tale of a child labelled as one of the worst seen in 20 years who ultimately graduates with a doctorate from Oxford University. How did that happen? Read this book and go on this child's, and his mother's, journeys through various education systems. You'll be challenged by questions about traditional teaching methods, measures of success and failure and what shapes how we view ourselves. This is a great read which will touch your heart and stir mem ...more
samantha
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reversed is an interesting recollection of a mother and son never giving up on one another and beating the odds together. Lois's personality & passion come out on every page and draw you in. If you or someone you love have ever struggled with reading, you'll relate deeply to this story and be inspired to find someone like Lois to help them. I highly recommend it!
Karen DeBonis
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Every teacher, anyone who works with children, every parent who struggles with a child who struggles to succeed, needs to read this book. In fact, parents who don't struggle should also read it, as it will give them an idea of what their friends and loved ones may endure with their children. I was a parent who endured, and I wish my friends and family had this book to read, to help them understand.
Jill Adams
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love buying non fiction reads for our school library and this is one that I will definitely be purchasing. It is important that the students read a range of books on a diverse array of subjects and Lois Letchford's book was incredibly readable. The senior students will definitely enjoy reading it and I think that they'll find it extremely interesting as well as giving them a better insight into the subject matter. I have ordered a copy and look forward to recommending it to our seniors who enj ...more
Ines
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is brilliantly written - I could stop reading it and finished within just a couple days after it arrived.
A fascinating true story about a mother that didn't give up on teaching her son despite the hopeless of the teachers.
A book I would definitely recommend, especially to any mother or anyone lightly related to education. It's important to raise awareness of these type of difficulties and change the education system to pay attention and promptly help children with learning disabilities
Carolyn Hastings
I didn't know Lois Letchford until I came across her book - Reversed: A Memoir - via a mutual contact on social media. When Lois offered to send me a pre-publication version of her book, I jumped at the opportunity. Something told me that this was a book I really needed to read. I was right.

In fact, I think it's a book that lots of people need to read - for all sorts of reasons.

For me, reading this book was like taking a walk down memory lane. At each step in Nicholas' literacy journey, I was
R.D. Kardon
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gripping, exultant!

Do not pass this book by. What I first thought would only be Nicholas' story turned into a true memoir. It was a privilege to read about how both Lois and Nicholas were transformed. This book read more like a novel whose pages I could not stop turning. I hope we hear more from Lois Letchford.
LenaMarie
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
Lois Letchford has written an incredible story of her determination to support her son. As you read her story, you feel as if you are sharing a conversation with her. Her writing captures the emotion of each scenario along with a vision of the interactions. Just read the short Prologue and you will be wanting to read more!
This story describes events that no parent should experience when engaging with their child’s educators! As ‘stunned’ as Lois was in meeting with her son’s teacher on his sixt
Ian Halford
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of a mother who refuses to give up when confronted by her son's learning difficulties. Set across three continents and three decades, it is an engaging read which will entertain and give you some insight into the challenges faced by those for whom standard teaching methods have failed.
Christine Shiely
This memoir, at times, moved me to tears and at other times made my heart sing with joy. I cheered on and admired the determination and perseverance of a mother desperately searching for the keys that would open up and further engage her son to explore and learn about the world around him. When others gave up, this mother (the author) courageously carried on and believed in her son’s ability to learn. Determination, perseverance, and a mother’s undying love and support, led to remarkable discove ...more
Sharon Robertson-Norden
Reversed hit home when I was able to read an early copy. As a mother of a special needs child AND a teacher, this book was so close to home, I could not put it down. The unfolding of the story and how Lois deals with triumphs and tragedies is heartbreaking and heartwarming. There are parts of the story that give ideas how to problem solve and follow through with determination and love. It is an incredible journey you don't want to miss.
Lakshmi Neelakantan
'Reversed: A Memoir' is a must read for anyone even tangentially involved in education, teaching, researching learning difficulties, or perhaps the most important of all, parents/caregivers with a child who finds school challenging. 'Reversed : A Memoir' tells the story of Lois and her son Nicholas. It begins with a devastating pronouncement - Nicholas is slow at school, struggling to read, and has a dim future, at best. Official testing confirms that Nicholas has little hope of becoming better. ...more
Sara Pendley
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a mother and a former teacher, I was intrigued by the description of Reversed - A Memoir. How would someone write a memoir about teaching a child to read? I was captivated from the first page. This was not a dry educational treatise with step by step instructions but rather a heartfelt memoir of a mother and son's journey to help him learn to read. The miracle is that neither of them ever lost their love of learning or reading. Both of them were highly motivated and tenacious and never gav ...more
Carol Fitzpatrick
" I've finished reading your heartwarming book & found it inspirational, comical, frustrating, shocking & most of all, amazing! It should be required reading for all who teach children, especially those with "learning disabilities". Once I started reading this book, I found it difficult to put down.
A must read!

Christl Mueller
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This memoir is the poignant and heartbreaking true story of one family's quest to find their son the instruction needed to be successful in school and life. As I read this story, my heart broke for Lois and young Nicholas as they struggled to find their way in seeking out the right kind of instruction for Nicholas to learn to read. The story offers rays of hope throughout, amidst small moments of success, (Nicholas reciting Tolstoy’s The Great Big Enormous Turnip, Nicholas learning to swim) to l ...more
Kalpana Neelakantan
I know that Lois is a wonderful person and I know her well. But I had know idea how talented she was until I read ‘Reversed: A Memoir’! A very good book written by Lois, the hardships she has undergone to bring up Nicholas from the age of 7 to 11 years and beyond, the stress faced both by the mother and the son is really challenging. A great/good applause from the mother to the son for every milestone he crosses. The hardwork and the dedication made by Lois really brings tears into our eyes and ...more
Chris
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having been intimately involved in this story from the beginning it is moving to approach it through Lois' eyes; her struggles, her disasters, and her triumphs with educating Nicholas to read, develop, and prosper. It is not only the story of a child's continued growth through a 'disability', but that of a journey of self-discovery of a mother dedicated to improving not only her own child's future but all those children she touches. This is a truly moving story, full of passion, emotion, and pow ...more
Karen Thornton
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Reversed: A Memoir" is a must read for every parent who worries that their child may be "different" and for every educator who must realize that his/her words are so powerful to a child that they must always be positive & uplifting! Lois has an enchanting writing technique that even a hardened critic can relate and feel. You will laugh; you will cry but most importantly, you will come away enriched for having read this book!
Karen Thornton
Nicholas' Lubbock Principal
Stephanie Affinito
Every educator needs to read this book. Lois writes in such a way that you cannot help but see, hear and feel her struggles and successes as she advocates for her son within the educational system. Her words went from the page to my heart as I laughed and cried alongside her and Nicholas. Every child needs a champion and once they do, previously unimaginable possibilities emerge to give students a new story for themselves. Simply beautiful.
Brianna
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reversed: A Memoir is an incredibly moving story. Every line is rich with beautiful detail, strong emotion, and cinematic vision - I hope a film adaptation is next! This memoir will move a very wide audience - parents, teachers, speech therapists, and folks who experienced learning difficulties themselves. The author has masterfully threaded several narratives together to make one cohesive, yet complex, story-line.
christine b foley
Reversed is a heartwarming saga of a mother who is on a quest to find the secret to unlock her son's potential after years of being told by educators that her son had very little potential. This book is a wonderful testimony of the power of a mother's unconditional love, ability to think outside the box, and her perseverance to never give up. Reversed was a joy to read --- hard to put down.
Anne N de fernandez
A book well worth reading especially if you are challenged with a child who has a struggle reading. This book proves that with determination and faith everything can be achieved! It also shows the challenges faced by teachers who have to handle such a wide rage of problems in the classroom and the determination of a mother's struggle to help her son move forward.
Kathleen Strangis
Riveting! Loved it! As a parent, you cannot help but create connections at every turn within this story. Lois shares a very personal crusade as she documents her son’s educational journey. You will experience a plethora of emotions when you read this real life tale knowing this Mother sees only a world of possible for her son. A lesson for us all in humility and perseverance!

Jamie
This story resonates for me on two levels--as a reading teacher and a mom. We DO have to advocate for what our students and children need. This book demonstrates that we can make a difference in their lives, that we don't always have to just accept the status quo. Good, quick read.
« previous 1 3 next »