Start by marking “Some Assistance Required” as Want to Read:
Some Assistance Required

Read Book* *Different edition

Some Assistance Required

Glenda Melner needs a job.

Ever since the portal between the human and magical worlds opened, the City of Doorwayen has been flooded with magical applicants. Her only hope is Rupert Meier, the incredibly handsome vampire attorney. He needs an assistant, but he usually prefers humans as food. Fortunately for Glenda, he's desperate.

Between meetings with the Mermaid Coalition,
Published (first published May 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Some Assistance Required, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Assistance Required

Erin Sky
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Glenda Melner has a mother who (probably) can't remember her name, a new lawyer boss who happens to be a vampire, and a best friend who's convinced Glen won't survive her first week on the job. The firm comes complete with a shapeshifter who can't shift, a fairy who can't fly, a hyperborean who can't be bothered to give a mere human the time of day, and vampire-hating protestors who lob garlic at the lobby. Not to mention the orc at the security desk.

Soon Glenda is embroiled in a hot supernatura
Regina
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy and really funny read - warning: might induce snort-laughing, especially when you're reading on public transportation.

I liked Glenda as a less-than-perfect heroine, and her slightly unusual (ahem...) band of friends, old and new, human and supernatural (Hayden! <3).

Bonus point for the vampire attorney sharing his name with one of the guys working at the computer lab at my college back in the day. :D

There were some proofreading issues, but I really liked the story and the writing style
Laura Godwin
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked it! Wait, I loved it! Glenda is skint. She needs a job. Asap. She applies for an assistant position to… Rupert, a vampire. She’s human though, the thought of working for someone who enjoys a bloody margarita for breakfast is less than appealing. She has no option. She gets to know her lovely work colleagues until someone starts literally going for her life. Follows a thrilling chase and who dunnit twists and turns which will keep you hooked till the very end! The baddie (which I cannot s ...more
Stacy Gold
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a fun, fast, and quirky read, look no further! Some Assistance Required is a fresh cross between Piers Anthony’s classic punny fantasy Xanth series and Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood books.

In Ms. Ogilvie’s book, vampires and werewolves have openly integrated into human society. But they’re joined by a whole host of fantastical and magical creatures who’ve come into Canada via a portal opened in the City of Doorwayen. They serve as players in a pun-filled sto
Jonathan King
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these characters. Glenda is so real and so snarky, and her friends are sweet and wonderful and exactly what she needs in her life. The relationships are sweet, and I love that the book calls out unhealthy relationships and deals with them in a mature, responsible way. I love the worldbuilding and the interaction of average humans with fantastic creatures on a daily level, the place most of us live.

There are some typos, at least in the Kindle version, and a wish that could have been used w
Megan Blatz
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and charming read!
Janet Cameron
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian, blue, fantasy-sf
Light, frothy and fun. The perfect antidote to...well, everything these days. And it's Canadian! How would I describe it? A paranormal office romance set in Alberta. No, really. More genre-bending tales from this author, please.
Willie Handler
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a genre I would normally pick up but after reading Some Assistance Required, I might read some more. A very good debut novel by C.L. Ogilvie. She is creative writer who has woven delightful tale of a world where humans and magical beasts (such as vampires and fairies) co-exist. The heroine in the story, Glenda, is both spunky and vulnerable. You can't help but root for Glenda and her band of magical beasts take on a vicious vampire who happens to be Glenda's boss. A lot of fun. Looki ...more
R.Q. Woodward
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book completely surprised me. I didn't read the description and had no idea it was a fantasy book that took place in an alternate Earth with supernaturals (vampires/werewolves/zombies) and magicks (faeries/chameleons/hyperboreans/orcs/merpeople/elves/EVERYTHING AWESOME).

This book is HILARIOUS! Very, very funny. I want to share all the funny things I read, but I don't want to spoil the fun.

I feel like this book would appeal to most people-all kinds of readers. It has some cursing and adult
Rosina
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I never thought I'd get around to reading this book but finally I have and it was such a quick read. It was entertaining, funny and had some really great friendships in. I also like that the villain was a twist.
Nikki
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I quite enjoyed this book. It was an easy, unique read, with a well-thought out storyline. There were a couple of missing words, but another proofread would fix that.
Jack Vaughn
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glenda Melner needs a job.

Between meetings with the Mermaid Coalition, dodging militant protesters and avoiding calls from his terrifying mother, Glenda has her hands full with her new boss, who
Natalie Summers

• Rafael's Suitable Bride
  • This Wicked Man
  • Christmas with the Millionaire Cowboy
  • The Contract
  • Honeymoon With The Prince: A Modern Day Fairy Tale (Short & Steamy Book 1)
  • Just For Me
  • Miss Bradshaw's Bought Betrothal
  • Made For Me: An Older Man, Younger BBW Steamy Sweet Romance (Get Inked Bad Boys Romance Book 1)
  • Desired By the Wolf: Part 1
  • Captured in Crystal
  • Miss Bramble and the Leviathan
  • Marcun (Sky Warriors #1)
  • Lord of Secrets
  • Caveman Alien's Pride (Caveman Alien's, #4)
  • Curve My Song (The Curvies, #1)
  • Hired: The Sheikh's Secretary Mistress (Royal Brides, #8)
C.L. Ogilvie lives in Atlantic Canada with her husband and two dogs. When she's not writing, she works as a legal assistant. She enjoys knitting, combing the internet for discount shoes and telling long stories that don't go anywhere.