Start by marking “Aftermath: Seven Secrets of Wealth Preservation in the Coming Chaos” as Want to Read:
Aftermath: Seven Secrets of Wealth Preservation in the Coming Chaos

Aftermath: Seven Secrets of Wealth Preservation in the Coming Chaos

In his most practical book to date, financial expert and investment advisor James Rickards shows how and why our financial markets are being artificially inflated and what smart investors can do to protect their assets.

What goes up must come down. As any student of financial history knows, the dizzying heights of the stock market can't continue indefinitely. In
Paperback
Published July 25th 2019 by Portfolio Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Aftermath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftermath

Start your review of Aftermath: Seven Secrets of Wealth Preservation in the Coming Chaos
Writemoves
I picked this book up on a whim when I was at Barnes and Noble. This seems to be a cautionary tale on how the economy not only in the United States but also globally can go wrong. Rickards offers some general investment ideas on how investors can protect themselves. Very interesting read.

Aftermath notes:

By purchasing long-term treasury securities, the Fed lowered their total return and made them less attractive to investors. In turn, this made stocks and real estate more attr/>By
Pedro L. Fragoso
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best of the four; it repeats some thoughts and reasoning first established in the other 3, but even these are presented with more depth and flair. The book is a fundamental reflection on the zeitgeist, with relevant conclusions and potentially life saving, concrete advice. For some 20 dollars, there isn't better value for money in an any other consultancy you may hire. It's also amazingly well written, with extremely effective phrasing that is always a pleasure to read.

It
John
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooked
I found Road to Ruin more profound, but maybe that was because it was my first Rickard’s book. Jim has a wide range of financial and professional experience, he combines that with being very well read, well traveled, and compelling interests outside of finance to produce well written and well rounded books. That’s a lot of “well”s, but I think you’ll agree. I stand ready to audiobook his next one as soon as it comes out.
Loren A.
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all four of Rickard's books that are intended to form a set - Currency Wars, The Death of Money, The Road to Ruin and Aftermath - and I found all of them full of great detail and careful reasoning. Rickards explains clearly how, in the end, all fiat currencies fail because governments cannot be trusted to maintain their value. There is little doubt that the financial world will undergo dramatic change once it becomes clear that the US dollar, currently the primary reserve currency of ...more
Andrew
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
My first time reading Rickards and I am impressed. This book ties together economic trends, history and financial advice. This book analyzes economic trends up till 2018 with some discussion on the Trump policies. Rickards has a great easy to read style despite a deep technical analysis of economics. Rickards combines together his own personal financial experience and interactions with other economists.

More detail and quotes in the spoiler
(view spoiler) ...more
Warren Mcpherson
An analysis of the bearish case for the economy that does a good job of focusing on commonly misunderstood ideas.
One major theme is the non-linear behavior of complex systems. The author uses several illustrations like avalanches and phase changes. This is a great point because common intuition can be very misleading at moments in time where markets make dramatic moves. In particular, the author has an insightful look at the relationship between automated trading in the securities markets
Libby Andrews
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling evidence for an economic crash of epic proportions. Rikards provides in-depth reasons for the crash which will revolve around massive government debt. I didn’t realize China was massively in debt and had exaggerated it’s growth. The only real place to be is gold although Rikards gives some other options, the one he mentions the mist is gold. So reduce / eliminate your own debt, start stockpiling your food and meds, invest in gold, hold some cash at home and sit back and enjoy the ride ...more
Schulmynn Leung
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely causes one to question a lot of accepted truths

A pretty eye opening book for me about some of the more negative use cases and future outcomes that our decade of low interest rates, QE and historically high debt to GDP ratios that has brought the US to the precipice financially that we face today. Will we see a big crash or will we experience the lost decade as Japan did. Interesting times are ahead and some massive fortunes will me made in this chaos.
Justin
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book's suggestions can be summarized in two words. The author even cheekily references this buy saying that if you've read his other books you can probably guess what the thing that will save people is. It's not saying the book doesn't have some impressive sounding research (I am underinformed here but it seems legit). It's just suspicious that everything points to this one conclusion, life is rarely that neat.
Thomas Maluck
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Somehow, the same financial collapse that will be so debilitating to society that bunkers and getaway islands will be impractical and easily overrun will also dissipate like a storm cloud against anyone who owns a nugget of gold.

A nice story with lots of world financial history and insights, but I'm not a Rickards customer.
Arjen Briene
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Rickards excels in making finance understandable for non financials. His books - this one included - are also filled with great anecdotes. But this particular book is more or less a management summary of his previous books. And since I have read those, this book was of less value to me.
Laura Slot
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in this series.
Shariff Fudin
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fundamental read from a ex-CIA insider. Full of historical information on how money is used as a weapon in the Coming Crisis. 💰
Harold Mathews
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding insight and analysis. Interesting suggestions.
Ulf Eklund

• Skin in the Game: The Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
  • Moneyland: Why Thieves and Crooks Now Rule the World and How To Take It Back
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • What Would the Great Economists Do?: How Twelve Brilliant Minds Would Solve Today's Biggest Problems
“Prospects for a reduction in income inequality and improvement in the relative well-being of the middle class are dismal absent the appearance of one of these violent four horsemen in the form of warfare, revolution, plague, or systemic collapse. No one is rooting for those outcomes, yet no one should expect a reduction in income inequality without them.” 0 likes