Start by marking “The Last Patient” as Want to Read:

As Maggie tries to help Israel repair the
Published March 27th 2018 by Kindle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Patient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Patient

Peter
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Penitence
The Last Patient is a forthright combination of human abuse and how a spark of benevolence can light the way to resolution. It's a story to break your heart, to leave you wondering how much the poor unfortunates in society are neglected and in the end that hope and happiness are always our other companions throughout life.

Maggie Stinson has only a few days remaining before she retires from her social-work job when she is asked to attend to one more patient.
“But Maggie … It’s complic
Linda
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an engaging story. Fully developed characters thrown into unbearably awful circumstances survive multiple traumas and come to a place of peace and redemption.
I am never disappointed.
Shari Ring Wolf
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lifetime Movie

I was 41% into this book when it got hokey and unbelievable. I was too far into it to just put it down so I skim read to the end. The idea and outline for the story are good. The way it was presented was cheesy...omg...and too many liberties were taken in the name of poetic license. Giving examples would be spoilers and I realize some people like Lifetime Movies. Readers, including me, will believe all kinds of story plots of they are built up, explained, and written with a certain
Rosemary Rowlette-
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible, heartwrenching, unforgettable story! It grabs you at the very start and doesn't let go until the very end, even then, the story will stay with you long after you have finished reading it. I could not put it down, I read on it every minute that I could! It is an emotional book filled with pain, sorrow, guilt, and the power of God's love and forgiveness. You will find yourself crying along with these two broken people harboring very deep secrets, that have filled them with guil ...more
Anna Rowlette
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a Story!!!
Up until I read this book, I had thought there could never be another book to equal the stories portrayed in "The Tucker Series", as well as "Toby", and also "The Woodcutter's Wife"! Well, I was wrong in that assumption, because "The Last Patient" is right up there running neck to neck with the rest of author David Johnson's finest books! This is a heart-wrenching, tear-jerking, unforgettable story that got its hooks into me and wouldn't let go from the very first chapter right up
Connie S. Jones
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Last Patient

Mr Johnson, has a way with words. This is definitely one of those stories that make you ask the question why do bad things happen to good people? I'm sure its a daily occurrence through out the world. Maggie and Teddy are great characters. They were separated in their youth and lived similar lives and were brought together very much later in life. And found a special kid of love between sister and brother. Enjoyed this very much. But I think the Tucker Series will always be my fa
Kathy
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
#9: READ A "FREE" BOOK: This review is about the book: THE LAST PATIENT: Two people, filled with long-held and covered-up secrets, one, Maggie Stinson, who is about to retire from her job as a hospice social worker, and the other, Israel McKenzie, who is “retiring from life” because he is dying, cross paths and find themselves on opposite sides of the question, “Why do bad things happen to good people?” WOW!! What more can I say other than....Thanks Kindle Unlimited!! This was an excellent find ...more
norma s. richardson
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book everyone should read

This really is the best book this man has written. I have read the Tucker series and loved them. I got them for my mom to read she loved them as well; I wish she was still alive so I could share this one with her. I will tell her about it when I join her in heaven. There are many messages to be gotten from this book, the most important one is God's love for us.
Danna Stumberg
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting read!

I enjoyed this book because it was different than perhaps anything I’ve read before. As a Christian, I appreciated the religious tones and truths of God’s love. I found a lot of the story to be predictable. Other parts were painfully slow and some were just outlandishly unbelievable, even for fiction. However, overall it was an interesting, enjoyable, and quick read.
Strawz93
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Broken Family

There are books that I want to read twice, and this one of them. Such a great read.

Teddy ( AKA Israel ) and Maggie was abused by so many people, some family members. Some of them got their
Comeuppance and some may have escaped. Christine sure did deserve something for the trick she played on Irael .The ending is a little tear jerker. Can't say more , just read for yourself.

I recommend this book to all readers.
Rebecca S. Cain
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Unbelievable

I enjoyed the Tucker series to a point. Then I decide to read one more of this author's books. Same theme, same situations, same characters, just slightly altered. Not sure if these book are meant to present the Gospel or if just the result of limited imagination. Because I did finish the book, I gave it 3 stars, but it was too predictable and situations were very unbelievable. (And I do know that bad things happen to people!)
Elaine M. Smith
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He did it again!

David Johnson once again squeezed my heart out of my chest and forced me to examine who I truly am and what I base my faith in. Another emotional roller coaster filled with sad smiles of knowing and love.... The greatest of these is love. Thank you for sharing your gift.
hosking,theresa
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

What so sad about this book are the things that her indicated do happen A fathers action on his daughter's do occur and they go unpunished...the girls are damaged for life. Hopefully judgment day will come and they see there wrongs. I love this author ..I have never been disappointed in his writing.
Vickie Fetterman
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beauty for Ashes

Truly enjoyed everything about ths book. Flawed broken people and the relationship ship mistakes that are made. The abuse grieved my heart for both Characters.
The fact that the end of this story was orchestrated is not a stretch for me. I believe !!
Great job, fantastic book.
Michael Thompson
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super

Loved the simple style with which he author tells his story. That the two siblings would reunite was revealed early in the reading. But, the ending was a little surprising. This has a pleasant moral tone without being preachy. I expect a winning effort from David Johnson and this one does not disappoint.
mary cosmah johnson
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hallelujah

Words cannot explain to others about this really, truly wonderful book.
Everyone, that has ever doubted that God is real really need to read it.
Yes. It's fiction, but so real it's amazing.
Sure everyone will see it differently, but let go and let your mind and heart feel, understand every page and story.
Terri
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This was not a bad book, but far from one of my favorites by him. The main characters did draw you in, and I cared about them, but: Too many horrible things happening to children and helpless women...beatings, rapes, murders, false accusations leading to prison sentences and more rapes.
Kimberly Tatro
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

Johnson takes the reader on an amazing journey with twists and turns not expected. The range of emotions are over the charts and falling in love with the lead characters is inevitable.
martha fullen
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good book

I have read several books by David Johnson. All have been excellent makes you cry for the inhumanity succeeded by his characters but rejoice in their coming to know and love out Lord and saviour

Brenda
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my!!!

This has been such a ride,so many emotions,at one time I thought I couldn't continue,but was draw back. it gave me a lot to think about,very insightful.I enjoy his writings.
carol michaels
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Compelling tale of abuse and redemption.

My favorite line was "You can't out-sin God's forgiveness. The abuse was unimaginable. The lifetime of dysfunction heartbreaking. Thankful to the author for ending with redemption.
Kathy Hester
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Very good read..enjoy all of Mr. Johnson's books. His writing keeps you interested in what is happening next. Explains a lot of no matter how bad if a person you might be...God still loves and wants you be his.
Elizabeth Hamby
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow

I promised a review,and a review I will give! Not David's usual book,BUT meaningful and worth reading ! If you need forgiveness or need to forgive someone;and who doesn't a good read!
Connie Crawford-Koonce
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story!

Five stars is NOT enough. This was an interesting read. I certainly enjoyed the pace of the story. Will definitely recommend.
Carolyn
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting

Abuse,murder,separation of families, hardships and not a lot of happy times. Somewhat of a dark book but it was an ok read.
Joyce Thacker
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good!

I really liked this book. Such a good message about life and what is really important. Highly recommend it for everyone.
Tracy Zerkle
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and Heartwarming

Enjoyed this book. Deep characters fast moving story. Believable, at the same time unbelievable. Thank you for a kind story.
Terry
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story

It's been awhile since I read his great Tucker series, so I was a little hesitant. But it started great and ended with a great twist. A good feeling story
TRENA LAMORE
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh yeah

Well first of all...I love this author and I really enjoyed this book! Yes, some crazy stuff happens to these people but I get it...
Conchita
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series

• Who Will Hear Me When I Cry (Tucker, #5)
  • The Kinfolk
  • Miss Mary's Daughter
  • The Battle For New York (Invasion USA, #2)
  • Battle Scream
  • Adiós Ángel (Zeb Hanks: Small Town Sheriff Big Time Trouble #3)
  • Tempting Gifts (Castle Mountain Lodge, #6)
  • Fogland Point
  • Pursued (The Protectors, #3)
  • The Angel Whispered Danger (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness
  • Be Real (1 John): Turning from Hypocrisy to Truth
  • Riding Home (Sons of Chance, #16)
  • Time for Truth: Living Free in a World of Lies, Hype & Spin
  • Ordinary Magic: Promises I Kept to My Mother Through Life, Illness, and a Very Long Walk on the Camino de Santiago
  • Angels of the Appalachians