Start by marking “Only Mostly Devastated” as Want to Read:
Only Mostly Devastated

Only Mostly Devastated

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease.

When Ollie meets his dream guy, Will, over summer break, he thinks he’s found his Happily Ever After. But once summer’s ended, Will stops texting him back, and Ollie finds himself one prince short of a fairytale ending. To complicate the fairytale further, a family emergency sees Ollie uprooted and enrolled at a new s
272 pages
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Only Mostly Devastated, please sign up.
Sophie Gonzales Great question! While Collinswood is 100% fictional, its description comes from an amalgamation of several small towns in NC. The towns I used for…moreGreat question! While Collinswood is 100% fictional, its description comes from an amalgamation of several small towns in NC. The towns I used for description purposes were largely inland, to the west of Raleigh. (less)

Start your review of Only Mostly Devastated
Chaima ✨ شيماء
SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA MEETS CLUELESS, INSPIRED BY GREASE

I expect to be only mostly devastated or else I am complaining to the manager for false advertisement
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK! 😍❤💖

I requested this book from Netgalley for one reason - it is branded as an LGBT version of Grease! Instantly I thought, 'How can that not be great?!'. I was lucky enough to get this on a wish and oh boy was I right! It was so great, so sweet, so nostalgic but still so fresh. I am all out fangirl-ing for this one!! I only have one thing to say - get your hands on this as soon as you can!! 😍😍

"All I'd needed was a Destiny's Child son/>
Judith
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

A hugely enjoyable YA romance which also tackles a serious subject-very well.This is only slightly touched on in the blurb so I'm not going to elaborate too much.

The theme of the book isn't a new one.High school setting with an out character and one firmly in the closest.But this is truly engaging.Told only from Ollie's pov and I think I fell for him instantly.

Ollie and Will have a summer fling.It's inte
✨    jamieson   ✨
May 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipated-2020
SUMMER LOVING, BUT GAY !!!

Greese inspired queer romcom pitched as Simon Vs meets Clueless?

@ SOPHIE GONZALES .... TELL ME MORE, TELL ME MORE
☆ Todd
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease.

With all of the many, many dramatics of the straight friends in the book, I definitely got a "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" vibe from the story, no doubt.

But "Clueless" was extremely funny, which this book had its moments, but I didn't personally feel that humor played much of a role here. At least not constantly, like in "Clueless".

And "Grease"? Ummm, I didn't really feel that many Grease-like moments, but I'm not completely obsessed with that movi""?"".""Simon
Cassie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Huh. Seemed pretty heteronormative. And what if a girl wanted to ask a girl? Or otherwise.}

THIS BOOK!

It is such an important story and brings up such valid topics, such as the quote above. Honestly, I went into this with expectations of having a good time and just rooting for all the gays. And I got that, but I also got so much more out of this book. The writing was also amazing. It was smart and funny and I adored every word on these p/>{"The
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Am I humming "Summer Nights" while I write this review?
Possibly.

Only Mostly Devastated is a story about two boys who spend the summer falling in love only to have to say goodbye at the end of it all. But wait. SURPRISE! Ollie shows up as the new student at Will's school. Whoops.

Cue drama. Cue romance. Cue SUMMER NIGHTS.

Let me just start off by saying that, although I tried to lower them, my excitement and expectations for this book were very high. I mean look at that cover and that blur
Sophie Gonzales
Apr 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
TAGS:

First Love, Unrequited love, Rollercoaster Romance, Pining, Boys in Denial, Happily Ever After, MC is self-deprecating, Sarcastic / Deadpan Humour, Gay rep, Bi rep, Anxious MC, Shy MC, Cocky Love Interest, Comfort, Bitchy Girl with a Heart of Gold, Medium Level Angst, MC is Already Out, Supportive Parents, Boys Riding Unicorns, TW Mentions of homophobia (called out), TW biphobia (called out), TW fatphobia (called out), TW Family Member with Cancer.

Also: Here are some
Cat
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs, 2020, 03-2020, m-m, gay, diverse, ya
“Promise me we’ll find a way to see each other again.”
“I can’t promise that.”
“Then lie. Please.”

I had a feeling going in I was going to enjoy this. With Grease, Simon and Clueless as comps, how could I not? What I wasn’t prepared for was how smart it was going to be, how often I was going to literally snort at the jokes, how much I would cry. Most of all, how freaking relatable everything was.

The premise is familiar and Grease-like. Ollie meets Will over summer vacation and falls head ove
Finitha Jose
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do have a soft spot for high school romances, especially the one involving a coming-out story. Oh, not that I miss school days😬 . . . just prefer the adult life without the worries of exam grades and revisions. All the same, glad to receive a copy of this book through a wish in netgalley.
The novel progresses through the perspective of Ollie (yes, our devastated hero). Brave and caring, he manages to win our hearts from the very beginning. There are no usual teenage tantrums as we expect
Hollis
May 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc-tbr
are you kidding me with this plot?

but, more importantly, are you kidding me with that release date?

need it now!
Georgia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for providing an early copy for review.

Wow. I was told by a friend to read this ASAP, and I am so very glad that I did. The buzz about this one is truly deserved. Most of the time books get a chuckle out of me at most. I was rolling around in my seat with laughter during only mostly devastated! Gonzales has a way of slipping humor into her MCs inner monologue, as well as dialogue, that never feels forced, and caught me off guard again and again with how hilarious it was.
Hayley
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. I somehow got lucky enough to get my hands on an early copy of this, and I'll tell you something right now: you should all be marking your calendars for 2020.

The story kicks off as we're introduced to Ollie, who's hilarious, wry, and hopelessly in love with Will, who he met at the lake over summer. The problem is, Will lives in North Carolina, while Ollie is due to go home to California. Then things get complicated when Ollie's parents announce a last-minute change of plans to l
Teodora
Oct 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
I've been granted a wish so I suppose some genie out there from its bottle wants me to read this and I am totally not complaining.
ellie
Jan 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
synopsis: pitched as simon vs the homo sapiens agenda-
me: say no more.
haletostilinski
I absolutely adored this.

This was what the blurb promised, very Love Simon meets Grease, but with it's own spin on it.

Oliver has come to North Carolina with his parents for the summer to help his aunt and uncle, seeing as his Aunt Linda has cancer. Over said summer he meets and falls for Will, and at the end of the summer Will seemingly completely ghosts him, and oh yeah, his parents actually offer to stay however long their Aunt Linda needs, and Oliver is mostly to help with their kids, his co
Sara
THE GODS HAVE BLESSED ME WITH AN ARC. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m prepared to have my heart imbued with a spectacular gay version of Grease. 😌
****

Oh my god this was so cute! I would take a bullet for Ollie! He’s so sweet, but I got the feeling that he was being taken for granted quite a lot. I’m so glad that people around him realised what a gem he is. I confess I was a tiny bit sceptical at first. After reading the synopsis, I was dubious about Will and his redeeming. Praising the Lo/>Oh
Flora ❀
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease." this is the single most amazing sentence i have ever read

ARC provided by St. Martin's Press and Wednesday Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.

// tw: homophobia, biphobia, fat shaming, death of a family member

This book immediately made it onto my most anticipated books of 2020 list when i read "Love, Simon meets Clueless inspired by Grease" cause these movies have to be some of the most iconic/>///>ARC
anna (readingpeaches)
RTC but like, i felt A Lot

rep: gay mc, bi latino li, bi side character, plus-sized poc side character, poc side characters
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it

as an actual bisexual woman who's been a victim of fatphobic bullying her entire life and suffers from pcos, i'm genuinely upset at some of the shoddy representation in this book.

review to come? i'm still fuming about some of the rep, so we'll see

representation: gay mc, bi li, bi side character, plus sized side character with pcos, non-white main and side characters

content warnings: biphobia, fatphobia, homophobia, death of a family member

✨ ARC kindly provided by Wednesday Books in exchang/>
/>content/>
Crystal
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is PERFECTION. I had all the feels, and I just loved it SO much! The description intrigued me, but the book itself was so much more than I could’ve hoped for. Ollie, Will, Juliette, Lara, Naimh, Matt, and Darnell are multifaceted and compelling characters who I cared so much about throughout the book. I can’t recommend it enough!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
May 16, 2019 marked it as releases-2020
Shelves: tbr-for-the-gays
this looks like the gay romcom of the century and i'm very here for it
Laxmama

I looked forward to reading this one as Grease was one of my favorite classic movies. I felt the Grease vibe in the beginning which did capture my interest in the book, yet this may be just not me as the target group. I expect this to be aimed at a really young YA/teen reader.

I liked the story overall and found it interesting, fun and lots of positive messages. I felt there were way too many extra side characters added as just fillers, Ollie was a sweet char
Yna the Mood Reader
Sep 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Thank you so much, Wednesday Books & St. Martin's Press, for granting my Netgalley wish!

Kelsi
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow. This book was not at all what I was expecting and I am glad for it. It made me cry. A LOT. It also made me giggle like a maniac and get righteously angry a few times. A great read all around!
Dahlia
Well this was delightful! It's hard to read a book with so many similarities to yours (YA that comps to "queer Grease" FTW, but the fact they're also both set in North Carolina - at least partly - is just hilarious to me) and not analyze it with a finer-toothed comb than anything else, but this is really fun and sweet and the secondary cast has so much personality. I also really appreciated the mlm/wlw solidarity in the book, which is something I'm asked to recommend a lot but don't see nearly e ...more
Tucker
Aug 19, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
i can already tell that this is going to be a smash hit
MMill
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will and Oliver meet at the lake and have the perfect summer romance, but they have to say goodbye when it's time for Ollie to go home to California. Then his family has a last-minute change of plans and stays in North Carolina to take care of his sick aunt and her family. Oliver is staring down the barrel of a lonely senior year at a new school where he doesn't know anybody. Until he bumps into Will. But this isn't the Will he knew over the summer. This Will is a popular jock, a basketball star ...more
Dany
Still in daze with this one.

I'll sell you with a few pointers

⭐ Bi Gay rep
⭐Gay rep
⭐Bi Lesbian rep
🌟High school romance
⭐Small Town - coming out or not issues
🌟 Basketball , Band & Everything YA

Best book for a fluffy read!

Full Review will be posted closer to the publishing date.

I thank Edelweiss and Wednesday books for granting me with the e-ARC in exchange for my opinions.
michelle (magical reads)

**I received an ARC from Netgalley. These are my honest opinions, and in no way was I compensated for this review.**

Only Mostly Devastated had me at "Grease retelling," and I was so excited to read it! Unfortunately I don't think I was in the mood to deal with some of the aspects of it, so it fell short for me. Still, it was a cute read that you might enjoy nonetheless.

full review to come
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tweet Cute
  • Foul Is Fair
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • Mooncakes
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Sick Kids in Love
  • Reverie
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Happy for You (Love & Family #3)
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Resurrection Girls
  • Most Ardently
  • Lucky Caller
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • The Infinite Noise
Sophie Gonzales writes Young Adult queer rom coms with memorable characters, biting wit and endless heart.

She is the author of The Law of Inertia, which released 2018 with Amberjack Publishing. Her debut YA rom-com, Only Mostly Devastated, is slated for Winter 2020 through Wednesday Books / Macmillan.

When she isn’t writing, Sophie can be found ice skating, performing in musical theatr