Start by marking “The Witch of Willow Hall” as Want to Read:
The Witch of Willow Hall

The Witch of Willow Hall

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,286 Ratings  ·  558 Reviews
Two centuries after the Salem witch trials, there’s still one witch left in Massachusetts. But she doesn’t even know it.

New Oldbury, 1821

In the wake of a scandal, the Montrose family and their three daughters—Cathe
Published October 2nd 2018 by Graydon House

To ask other readers questions about The Witch of Willow Hall, please sign up.
Gwen Mitchell The plot is not typical YA--it's more of a paranormal mystery, but the content is definitely appropriate for YA age readers.

Melisa
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable, creepy fall read!

I love this period - the propriety and all the rules and manners, the language, the fashion, the balls. All of it! Well, not all of it - although women’s rights were just starting to take off, women were still treated as the lesser sex. But I did enjoy how we have some very strong, outspoken, intelligent leading ladies in this story.

We have a family who has moved to the country from Boston due to a scandal that has occurred, however we don’t know what has happe
Christina - Traveling Sister
4, this was the perfect Halloween read stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe and a Read!

Welcome fellow readers, to 1800's Boston, Massachusetts - two centuries after the Salem Witch Trials. Meet Lydia Montrose - she is the daughter of a wealthy businessman and a prim AF lady of the house. She does not shine quite as bright or as boldly as her elder sister Catherine, and she is not as imaginative and carefree as her younger sister Emeline. As a prominent family in the large city of Bost
Berit☀️✨
Beautiful, atmospheric, and haunting.....
this was an exquisitely told debut...Hester Fox has wovin together this Gothic story of heartbreak and hope effortlessly.... as soon as I opened the cover of this book I found myself transported into the lives of the Montrose Family... finding myself in the middle of A scandal and the gloom and magic of Willow Hall....

This was not the story of a witch, but rather the story of Lydia Who just so happens to be a witch.... The witchcraft in this book was
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Two centuries after the Salem Witch Trials, there's still one witch left in
Massachusetts. But she doesn't even know it.

It was the year of 1811 and it was the Bishop boy that started it all. He pelted stones at passing carriages. He lurked around every corner, responsible for every terrible thing in the world that Lydia's mind could not comprehend.

Her Pa brought home a black cat for her and her sister Catherine. It was an outdoor cat. The cat's name was Bartholomew and would squeak in greeting
Norma * Traveling Sister
Spooky, suspenseful & a little bit witchy!

This book reminded me so much of the gothic romantic suspense novels that I used to love reading growing up. They were my absolute favourite stories and this tale just made me feel all nostalgic and reminded me of my fondness for these types of stories.

THE WITCH OF WILLOW HALL by HESTER FOX is a dark, haunting, romantic and an excellent debut novel that had me totally absorbed, entertained, and interested throughout this entire book.

I wouldn’t neces
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Woo hoo, witchy woman...she got the moon in her eye! 🎶 🌙 🌙 🌙 🌙

It is the 1800s in Boston, Massachusetts, some two hundred years after the Salem witch trials. One member of the Montrose family is a witch, but she has no knowledge of this.

There is a scandal that causes the Montrose family to flee from Boston to New Oldbury. Their new home is the gothic, eerie, but stately Willow Hall. It holds its own secrets within its walls. Will the Montroses be able to outrun their past, or is their family de
Diane S ☔
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Gothic tale, just perfect for October. A terrfic blend of romance and ghostly happenings. Set in 1821 New England, two centuries after the infamous witch trials, we come to a creepy house, with a family whose lineage holds many secrets. So incredibly atmospheric, this was a sisters read and some of us were reminded of the atmosphere rnvoked in past Gothic reads, Rebecca, Jsne Eyre and Wuthering Heights. The chilling kind of old fashioned read where one can use words like torrid and sordid. If ...more
Debra
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

"Take this as a warning: if you are not able or willing to control yourself, it will not only be you who suffers the consequences, but those around you, as well."

A witch who doesn't know she is a witch! A family who flees Boston amidst scandal, moves to the town of New Oldbury in 1821. Looking to start over, will they find happiness, or will the past haunt them?

The Montrose Family was once a prominent family living in Boston until they were enveloped in a mysterious Scandal. Deciding t
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Haunting, romantic, and atmospheric—Hester Fox’s The Witch of Willow Hall is a deeply engaging gothic historical fiction novel that explores the notion of how we choose to become who we are. Set in the small community of New Oldbury, Massachusetts in the 1800s, this book has a cast of characters that will make you forget where you are and feel like you are part of this town.

About the Book

The Salem witch trials are long past when the Montrose family arrives in New Oldsbury in 1821. Now the thing
Mackey
The Witch of Willow Hall is a perfectly written gothic tale of witches, dark secrets and history.

This is the debut novel written by Hester Fox and all I can is, "Wow!" Every first book should be this amazing! I was completely blown away by the history, the suspense and the storyline itself. It was, without a doubt, a great book!

Lydia Montrose is the middle child and a loving sister. Her family was run out of town after horrible rumors began to swirl around the family. It's 1821, and these type
Paromjit
This is a perfect gothic, ghostly historical read for this time of the year, set in 1821 featuring elements of the supernatural. Hester Fox writes a family drama novel that just drips with chilling atmosphere. The well off Montrose family move to the small country town of New Oldbury after rumours and scandal drive them out of Boston. Willow Hall is their new home, infested with an unsettling and disturbing air, with a tragic history and ghosts that does not bode well for the family. The Montros ...more
Hester Fox
I hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I enjoyed writing it <3

Edited to add:
You can find content warnings for THE WITCH OF WILLOW HALL here: http://www.hesterfox.com/content-warn...
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Norma, Lindsay and I read The Witch Of Willow Hall with six of our Traveling Sisters and we all agreed that this was the perfect book for this time of year.

The Witch of Willow Hall is just what we were craving. It has all the elements for a great spooky, atmospheric, entertaining and chilling read with just a little bit of creep to add a little shock to the story. There is just the right amount of tragedy and romance with a sprinkle of witchcraft and a dash of the supernatural, making this the
Kendall
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Witch of Willow Hall is a rich gothic mystery at it's finest!!!

Our main character Lydia and her family move to New Oldbury after a scandal arises with her family. After the scandal, their family is ready to have a fresh beginning but somehow the past always sneaks up on you....coming back to haunt you.

Lydia starts to realize that she has some special powers. A witch! Loved this part of the novel!! I am huge fan of supernatural. Lydia's family dates back to the Salem Witches... dated well ov
Holly  B
3.5 STARS

A gothic romance with a mysterious family tree.

The Montrose family is at the heart of this story and they have moved to the country with their three daughters to escape a scandalous family event.  It is 1821 and their new estate is Willow Hall. There are stories about the home and whispers of ghosts and strange happenings. The younger sister, Emeline is quite taken with mermaid stories and now has added ghosts to her list.

The two older sisters, Lydia and Catherine are often at odds a
Anna Lee Huber
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, skillfully plotted, and filled with quiet terror, readers will devour this absorbing, Gothic tale of romance and suspense. Perfect for fans of Simone St James and Kate Morton.
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3.5 stars.

Gothic. Mysterious. Haunting. Secretive.

This was a spine-tingling, highly atmospheric story. Willow Hall, the countryside mansion that this novel revolves around, has such an alluring and dominating presence. The house itself, the grounds the house lays on, the woods and the hidden pond. They all held a vital piece of this story and added an extra layer of suspense and intrigue. I loved that!

The characters were so very well done! The author, Hester Fox, does an outstanding job develo
Jess☺️
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The witch of willow hall by Hester Fox is a different kind of read for me but I absolutely loved it the only reason I gave it 4 🌟 Is because I could of done with a bit more about the witches and the family history of them , saying that it was an enjoyable read which was sad, spooky and lovely all at the same time.
The characters you can love some and dislike the others (the older sister Catherine 😤) the story flows along so effortlessly you can't believe you've reached the last page.
This is a eas
Marialyce
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 wonderfully Gothic creepy stars
My reviews can be found here:

There are things afoot at Willow Hall. The family Montrose, have moved into their country home. Fleeing from Boston because of a scandal, the sisters Catherine, Lydia, and Emeline are forced to take residence in this omnivorous home. The year was 1821, and the happenings in and around the home, seem to bring hints of something strange, something otherworldly, something supernatural.

Catherine,
Mellie Antoinete
Man I loved this book! Pride & Prejudice meets Jane Eyre with the winds of Salem gusting through the trees. A glorious autumnal read!
Book of Secrets
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE WITCH OF WILLOW HALL is a wonderful throwback to those beloved vintage gothic romances. Set in 1821, the story follows the Montrose family as a scandal in Boston sends them retreating to the small town of New Oldbury. Their fresh start in the country is anything but peaceful, as a malevolent force seems to be plaguing their home, Willow Hall. Will middle daughter Lydia's inheritance of a powerful family legacy be able to save them? Unfortunately, I was in a rush to finish this book and get i ...more
Judy
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to believe this is a debut novel - it is really very well written. I was totally absorbed in the story and didn't want to put the book down until finished. There's a lot more to the story than witchcraft. The Montrose family flees Boston in 1821 due to scandalous rumors and moves to New Oldbury into a home called Willow Hall. Willow Hall has a history of tragedy. This is the story of what happens at Willow Hall and especially what Lydia discovers about herself and her history. There is also ...more
Reading.Between.Wines
⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

Two centuries after the Salem witch trials, there's still one witch left in Massachusetts, but she doesn't even know it.

If you are looking for an atmospheric fall / Halloween read, then I highly recommend The Witch of Willow Hall by Hester Fox.

What it's about: The Montrose family moves from Boston to New Oldbury in 1821 to escape the rumors that are circulating around Boston about them. They move into the Willow Hall estate which, little do they know, possesses a dark history. The young
Mfedore
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an early draft of this book. I found the characters and setting to be very unique and well-developed. The heroine, Lydia, is a compelling character and I found myself engrossed in her experiences. This is the author's debut novel and I am excited to see what she produces next!
Niki
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS SO GOOD. Creepy af but also romantic af?? Give me a John Barrett without the ghosts pls.
Lisa
Love, love, love! Perfect for fans of Witchy reads, with parallels to Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.
NZLisaM
Historical fiction at its upmost finest! So many genres, balanced to perfection!

More than deserves all five Halloween pumpkins 🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃 as well as stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 – I loved every moment of reading this. The writing was mesmerising and poetic, Hester Fox has a real way with words that had me spellbound! There are a few suspenseful mysteries to keep you guessing, and hold your attention – there’s the identity of the ghosts and why they are haunting Willow Hall, witchcraft in the family bloodline, and whe
Samantha
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The ULTIMATE page turner!

I typically don't read such dark novels, and I always hesitate when reading a new author's first published book, but the fact that the main character had a great aunt that was killed during the Salem Witch Trials, and I do too, I picked it up.

Set in the 1800s of Boston, Lydia and her family have fled to the country side amidst a family scandal. She soon discovers that she too, is a witch and is struggling to come to terms with it while trying to learn more about it. As
Sheyla ✎

This was the perfect book to get me into the Halloween spirit!

Lydia Montrose and her family are moving from Boston to New Oldbury. They have been pretty much run out of the city after certain rumors spread surrounding the oldest sister, Catherine.

Lydia is the middle sister. She loves to read, likes to garden and loves her little sister, Emeline. Lydia has taken over Emeline's schooling and also her discipline. Lydia's mother is not the same since they left Boston and Lydia likes to help where
Whispering Stories
1811, Boston Massachusetts, USA, home to the Salem Witch Trials two centuries earlier. Little Lydia Montrose is caught up in what is described as a ‘fight’ with a local boy, but the rumours never die down of what really happened that day.

1821, with the rumours still doing the rounds and Lydia now becoming a woman, the family move from the city to a small town and into Willow Hall. The house has stood empty for many years and even the owner, John Barrett won’t live there, preferring a smaller dwe
Hester comes to writing from a background in museum work and historical archaeology. She loves the Gothic, the lurid, the dark...so long as the ending is a happy one. She has never seen a ghost, though she remains hopeful.

Hester lives outside of Boston with her husband. THE WITCH OF WILLOW HALL is her first novel.