Start by marking “Full Disclosure” as Want to Read:
Full Disclosure

Full Disclosure

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  4,616 ratings  ·  1,196 reviews
In a community that isn't always understanding, an HIV-positive teen must navigate fear, disclosure, and radical self-acceptance when she falls in love--and lust--for the first time. Powerful and uplifting, Full Disclosure will speak to fans of Angie Thomas and Nicola Yoon.

Simone Garcia-Hampton is starting over at a new school, and this time things will be different. She'
Published October 29th 2019 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Full Disclosure, please sign up.
corinne This book is great for anyone to read, but I’d say the minimum age to read this would be 13, since there are topics of sex and grief discussed.

·  4,616 ratings  ·  1,196 reviews

Start your review of Full Disclosure
Camryn
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I personally find this brilliant.
Chloe
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020-reads
"My HIV isn't a threat to you, but your ignorance is a threat to me."

loved this book so much!
Elle (ellexamines)
The fact that Cam is one of my friends has absolutely nothing to do with how absolutely incredible this book was. Because the thing is, this releases on October 29th, and I cried twice reading this, and it actually understands What Real Life Teenagers Are Like, and on the level that I am a reviewer who wants to recommend you books you’ll love, I think you should read this if you like tender slice-of-life YA contemporary about bisexuality and being HIV+ and the power of both familial and platonic ...more
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Simone is HIV positive. Her dads try to be supportive, but sometimes end up overprotective and think that the best way for Simone to manage her sexuality is with abstinence. But Simone would really like to have sex one day and she's really attracted to a boy at school. Will he like her if she tells him about her illness, even if it's well-managed? As they get closer, this question features more and more prominently in her consciousness--
Kai
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, important, queer
"I wish I felt queer or straight and not like I'm floating somewhere far away from both."

This is one for the Love, Simon fans. And I’m not saying this because that’s what publishers use to promote their next great cute high school romance. It’s because it’s 100% true. Queer kids? Check. Cute romance? Check. True friendship? Check. Anonymous letters? Drama club? Check. And that one dick that pressures you into coming out? Check. And after all these similarities, it still remains an original story
may ➹
can’t believe a m/f romance made me Yearn this much

rtc!
C.G. Drews
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really fantastic book to finish off 2019 with. It's one of those contemporaries that feels unafraid -- even though such a central theme of it literally is fear. The fear of people who condemn and who are ignorant and how dangerous and ruining they can be to the vulnerable. This is about sex and a girl who's positive for HIV, and it's also about complex female friendships, the softest family feels, musical theatre, and the messiness of being a teen. I also appreciated the queer-questio ...more
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Knopf Books for Young Readers for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
"We can’t live by them. We continue living our lives and fighting the fight. You can’t just let people control you with their hate. You keep living, Simone.

Full disclosure - I found this quote via Elise (TheBookishActress)'s review. I had other quotes bookmarked but I must have missed this one and it's too good to not use.

So, what's this book about?
Simone Garcia-Hampton is starting
Whispering Stories
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperinstories.com

Teenager Simone has not had an easy life. She was born with HIV and has had to take antiretroviral medication daily to control the growth of the virus, plus all the hospital visits and group talks. She also had to move school after she told someone she thought she could trust about her HIV but the girl decided to spread it around and people began treating her differently, staying away from her, calling her names, etc.

At her new school, no-one knows, not e
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
CW: blackmail, HIV+ prejudice and stigma, racist microaggressions and fetishization.

I loved this book SO much. For a book that was less than 300 pages, this book did A LOT and it did it all well. First of all, I loved how well balanced it was, for every heavy topic, important discussion, we had a ridiculously funny situation or a happy moment. So even when the book was at its saddest, it never felt like it was overwhelming. Simone is so easy to love, I loved her voice and how effortlessly funny
Sue
So, I’m not a Young Adult, but I’m an adult young at heart, so that’s my reasoning on choosing a YA book sometimes that catch my eye.

Simone has two dads.
She’s adopted.
She also has HIV.

With HIV she has had a troubled life, hospital care visits, stigma, diversity problems and a best friend revealing her status on HIV to an entire bunch of school pupils with results of her having to find a new placement in another school.

Is it happening again?
She and Miles strike up a good relationship. She needs
h o l l i s
I fully admit that I requested this one because of the unique circumstances described in the synopsis. A YA contemporary dealing with HIV? Not a throwback story, or historical, set against the AIDS crisis but a real person, in today's world? I had to read it. Adding to this already rare subject matter, was a diverse cast, dealing with topics of both race and sexuality.

But ultimately I think I loved the concept more than the execution.

This story reads a little like SIMON VS THE HOMOSAPIENS AGENDA
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Read my full review on my blog, The Quiet Pond.

This is such a phenomenal debut and I am in awe of this book. I love so many things about it, and I can't remember the last time where I feel like I'm itching to write a full review about it, just so I can gush about everything in this book.

- Follows Simone, a Black teen who lives with HIV, who finds a note in her locker that threatens to out her secret of living with HIV unless she ends things with her crush, Miles.
- Oh, where do I begin? I did no
✨    jamieson   ✨
I really liked this a lot. It deals with so many important issues, primarily living as an HIV positive person, but also sex-positivity, queer issues, being Black in America and how all these things intersect. Simone was a great protagonist, I love teenagers who are given room to mess up in YA books. I also thought the romance was super cute. My one issue is that I felt the reveal of the blackmailer was a little unsatisfying and I had some issues with how the reveal and the motivations were handl ...more
Amanda
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a teenager is hard enough, dealing with peer pressure and boyfriends, but Simone is also coping with moving to a new school and having HIV. She hasn’t told her two new best friends yet. She had to move school previously, she told a friend of her condition and then she told others.

Simone likes Miles but she is afraid to get too close to him. when she gets mystery notes forcing her to reveal to Miles about being HIV positive she is desperate to find out who knows her secret.

I really enjoyed
Melanie  Brinkman
Understanding is uplifting and unifying. Understanding is underrated and underdone.

Starting over at a new school is never easy, but this time things will be different. This time Simone is making real friends, a name for herself as the student director of Rent, and maybe even falling in love with a boy who makes her feel like the queen of the world. The last thing she needs is for anyone to find out that she's HIV-positive, because the last time someone did, the fallout was unbearable.

Just as thi
BookNightOwl
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Random House Children for providing and ARC of this book for an honest review.

This book takes place in this day and age where HIV and Aids is around and we know more about the disease but people are still scared to be around people who have it. When Simone is transferred to a new school all she wants is to be normal and keep her secret. Then she is fast falling for a classmate Miles and she struggles with telling him the truth or keeping her secret. Then a mysterious let
Kate
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
3.5/5stars

THIS IS SUCH AN IMPORTANT READ. PLEASE DON'T THINK 3 STARS IS BAD.

This book had so many incredibly important conversations about LGBT themes and being HIV positive. This book would be an excellent introduction to education on the subject.

But: this was not very well written. As I described it in my reading vlog, it felt like a textbook story. Ya know how theres sometimes a story that goes along with each chapter in a textbook where they use the same characters to explore new ideas or vo
Vicky Again
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book was so wonderful--such a lovely story of a really genuine and relatable teen and i'm SO excited to see what garrett writes next. ...more
Danii Allen
Jan 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-popsugar, lgbtq
Read as part of the PopSugar Reading Challenge 2020, to fill 38) A book by or about a journalist.

Oh. My fucking. God. I hated this book.

I wanted so much to like it. I even pre-ordered it (and I never do that). I was so ready to shower this book in praise. And then I read it. And it ruined all anticipation I had about or for it.

It's not a bad resource on facts about living with HIV, if you're looking for that. As long as you don't mind those facts being wrapped in oodles of unnecessary teenage dr
MissBecka Gee
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MissBecka by: Sue
I loved that the author chose an HIV positive MC.
There are still so many stigmas attached to HIV & AIDS that it was a delight to read about a teenager just living life.
The writing and story are decent with enough drama to keep things interesting.
This is something I would LOVE to see added to high school health class syllabuses.
It is a wonderful way to start a conversation about HIV & AIDS (along with other important content) and get that information to teens in a digestible format.
Dahlia
So good, so full of voice, so feels like it was written by an actual (brilliant) teen in all the best ways.
Sara ➽ Ink Is My Sword
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of my Christmas gifts!
I have a good feeling about this one 💖.
Anna
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
for once in my life, i actually preferred the love interest and romance over the friendships. how did that happen
Ezran
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone because they need to read this
To be honest y'all, this is a book that I can't say much about without having a biased opinion.Yes, I could talk about the characters, plot, and writing, but this book is so amazing that I don't even know if I can do that from an unbiased point of view. I read this a long time ago, and I really want to reread this. The characters were on point, the plot kept going and was never slow, and the writing told the story well.

-------------------------------------

Also, can we talk about the stigma arou
Cody Roecker
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
now that this is FINALLY announced I can write a little thing about it:

i love this book more than life itself, lets be real. I've never read a book like it.

Searing with heart and filled to the brim with humor, Camryn Garrett's debut is a needed addition to the YA canon and is absolutely unputdownable, unforgettable, and so incredibly special.

full disclosure: i came up with the title for this book. you seriously won't want to miss it.
Ava
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BEST. BOOK. EVER. I loved it, of course. I can't wait for the world to read it. ...more
Jessica
This book was SO GOOD and explored so many different themes about life, friendship, sexuality, love, family, and so much more. Wow. I have to admit, I did not know too much about HIV or AIDS before going into this one and I love how we have a teenage main character who was born with HIV and living with the stigma people STILL have about the disease. My heart broke so much for Simone and I definitely had tears in my eyes on more than one occasion. But I loved following her explore her first love ...more
Katie.dorny
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, lgbtq
The diversity!! The conversations!!! The topics raised and explored!!! Hello people read the fucking book already.

So anyways..this book follows our protagonist Simone who is HIV positive. We follow her life throughout 6 months exploring how HIV positive status impacts her life as she lives the life of a normal teenager.

Throw in an absolute scum villain who threatens to expose Simone’s status to the guy she likes and we watch Simone try to figure out who the bully is and how to stop what he’s t
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Not to be dramatic but Full Disclosure is one of the best books I have ever read and Cam deserves the whole entire world.

Full Disclosure is a raw and funny debut novel by an incredibly talented young author, Camryn Garrett. This debut is a YA contemporary about Simone Garcia-Hampton, a Black, possibly bisexual, teenage girl who happens to be HIV+. Simone's HIV+ status weighs on her because she feels forced to keep it a secret, but things start looking up for her when her crush Miles seems to lik
Waterstones Young...: November Discussion- Full Disclosure 10 10 Nov 24, 2019 05:56AM

• The Black Flamingo
  • Felix Ever After
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Grown
  • The Henna Wars
  • So Lucky
  • The Dragon Warrior (The Dragon Warrior, #1)
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Girl: A Memoir
  • Slay
  • Trapeze
  • The Year We Fell From Space
  • Deeplight
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • Ever Alice
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • The Starlet and the Spy
  • Clap When You Land
Camryn Garrett was born and raised in New York. In 2019, she was named one of Teen Vogue’s 21 Under 21 and a Glamour College Woman of the Year. Her first novel, Full Disclosure, received rave reviews from outlets such as Entertainment Weekly, the Today Show, and The Guardian, which called a “warm, funny and thoughtfully sex-positive, an impressive debut from a writer still in her teens.” Her secon ...more

Articles featuring this book

While books about anti-racism are trending on Goodreads and dominating the bestseller lists right now, some of our favorite Black authors are...
“I can’t tell if I’m into theater because of Lin-Manuel Miranda, like everyone else, or because I actually like it.” 0 likes
“We continue living our lives and fighting the fight. You can't just let people control you with their hate. You keep living, Simone.” 0 likes