Start by marking “The Curse (A Roxanne Fosch File Novella)” as Want to Read:
The Curse (A Roxanne Fosch File Novella)

The Curse

(The Roxanne Fosch Files 0.5)

Yoncey Fosch, the leader of the Unseelie Dhiultadh clan would give anything to save his brother from a mysterious plague. Anything, including his leadership mantle and a favor to his deadliest enemy, Queen Titania’s consort.
But his actions will have far reaching consequences, and Fosch realizes he is not only unwilling to pay the price, but will defy anyone who calls him
ebook
Published April 15th 2018 by Jina S. Bazzar

To ask other readers questions about The Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse

Start your review of The Curse (A Roxanne Fosch File Novella)
James
If you've read my book reviews before, you probably know that they tend to be mysteries, thrillers, historical or contemporary fiction; however, you also know I'm branching out to try a few different genres, including romance, fantasy and science fiction. An opportunity popped up to read a new book by debut author, Jina S. Bazzar, who has both a book and a prequel short story, The Curse, currently available. What a great opportunity to explore a new author and genre by reading her short story to ...more
Courtney
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of: Heir of Ashes, YA paranormal / sci-fi short stories
Recommended to Courtney by: Author
“It was Fosch’s fault they got our trail in the first place, it’s only fair his daughter fix his mess.”

(view spoiler)
Jina Bazzar
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a backstory to how Roxanne came to be wanted by all those factions - the PSS, Remo Drammen, the Seelie Fee.
Included in this short story are some quick chapters about Yoncey Fosch and his bargain, Arianna Lenard, Remo Drammen, the Seelie Fee, even the Dhiultadh Council.
Mad
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 out of 5 stars

Full review soon (http://presa-nas-palavras.blogspot.com)

Not as good as the first book, but is definitely interesting seeing what really happened.
Didi Oviatt
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I made the mistake of reading this before Heir of Ashes, so my review is going to be super short. A few things were a little confusing, probably because I didn't read the other book first. I'll be downloading ASAP though and diving right in without delay, because even from such a short buildup to Roxanne's character, it's a powerful one!

It's a story of outer worldly magic, relms, portals, witches, and basically the coolest sounding species imaginable. Energy, and the control of it plays a
Ellie
Whether prequel or a novella, I found this book very helpful to understand some crucial connections in Heir of Ashes.
The Curse gives a good glimpse into Roxanne's family, how everything started and why her father did what he did. It was very interesting to see the story from a different point of view and to know more than Roxanne or other characters in the end. I feel like there is important information you find here which makes it much easier to piece the puzzle of Roxanne and her origin
Sam (samyinbookworld)
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Will write a ful review of this prequel together with the book.
luna ☾
Full review now posted.
(This review can also be found on my blog!)

(Note: Thanks to the author, Jina, for sending me an e-arc in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by this factor.)

[3.25/5]

The Curse tells the backstory of Roxanne’s father, and describes the events leading to Roxanne’s birth. I recommend reading this novella after reading Heir of Ashes, as you’ll need to be more familiar with the world, first.

This book contains more world-building and
Daydreamer
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookrobinhoods
The Curse
By Jina S.Bazzar
4/5 stars

Synopsis:
Yoncey Fosch ist he leader of a clan. When a plague starts to befall it, he has to make a boon with an Unseelie in order to fight it. Since the favour was open, they call him for his firstborn.

My thoughts:

...about the story
The story is very interesting and contains a few surprising twists. Overall it seemed quite logical, however I had to ask myself why his firstborn had to be female, since men can reproduce as well and even faster. But aside from
Reem
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm really glad I read the prequel. It helped a lot with understanding the world and cleared up a lot of stuff that confused me while reading Heir of Ashes. Although I wish some aspects were explained a bit more.
But it was still wonderful to learn more about the world and the characters more. Almost everything makes sense now, and I'm even more excited for book 2!
E. Denise Billups
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short prequel to Ms. Bazzar’s preceding novel, Heir of Ashes. The author provides a backstory on Yoncey Fosch, “… clan leader of the Unseelie Dhiultadh where he ruled with an iron fist and a warm heart.” In Heir of Ashes, we were given small details about Roxanne Fosch’s father. Here Ms. Bazzar expands on his history, personality, and moral qualities. “He was a man of few words and many wisdoms, a charming charisma…a man of his words, loyal and honest to a fault, considerate and yet ...more
Charlotte
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great short read and prequel to the book, Heir of Ashes. It could work as a stand-alone story since it has enough excitement (especially for this length). I would have enjoyed it just as much, even having now subsequently read Heir of Ashes. I love them both. However, it is nice to have a prequel that I believe offers a great, quick story.

To that end, it jumps right in to the action and moves at that fast face. There are not a ton of explanations. I like this. More explanations will
Amy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Curse is a short story that follows Yoncey Fosch, the leader of the Unseelie Dhiultadh clan. There is a mysterious plague that is claiming the lives of many in his clan and when his brother begins to show signs of the plague, Yoncey will do anything to save him. Desperate, Yoncey makes a deal with Oberon,Queen Titania’s consort - a way to heal his clan in exchange for Yoncey siring a human hybrid.

The character of Yoncey is admirable but also short-sighted. Yoncey is described as a great
Rashida Dula
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Yonsey Fosch, the respected clan leader of the Unseelie Dhiultadh, would do anything for those he loves. He risks a plan to save all his people from the plague, that has hit the clan.

None of the clan members know what bargain their former leader could have had with Oberon, which made me forfeit his life, putting his daughter Roxanne in his brother’s hand. The new clan leader!

How Roxanne rights her father’s wrong - is covered in her first book HEIR OF ASHES.

The prequel, THE CURSE - is a short,
Amy
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: female-author
This review was originally published on warmdayswillnevercease.wordpress.com

I received a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from the author. Thank you Jina S. Bazzar.

Firstly, you should definitely read this after reading Heir of Ashes. I think that if you did read this book first then you’d spoil the first book for yourself. It did answer a lot of the questions I had after reading Heir of Ashes and I think it makes a very good prequel.

It’s also a very short book which
Alex (Briennai)
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This prequel is full of a lot of history about the Heir of Ashes world, and is an important read if you want to really feel immersed in that world! It is also short, so I suggest that you just read it!

In Fosch's world, people are dying left and right from the plague, and his brother is about to become the plague's next victim. He is determined to do anything within his power to save his brother's life, but he doesn't know the true consequences of those actions.

I don't want to spoil too much, but
Trisha - Tale of a Bookworm
Its Just an enough filler for all the questions arose in "Heir of Ashes". Questions like who/what is Roxanne? Why she is haunted? Who is her father? We get a clear picture of her father in this one.

check the full review here >>
Beth
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
This was more of a back story on Roxanne's parentage and why her father and mother sacrificed themselves and the reasoning behind it all.
Misty's Book Space
I want to thank the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This is the prequel to Heir of Ashes which I read back in May. I was sucked into the first book and I thoroughly enjoyed that one but that wasn’t the case for The Curse. I didn’t like it as much as Heir of Ashes.

The Curse is the backstory of why Roxanne’s life is the way it is. How other peoples choices affected her before she was even born. I recommend reading Heir of Ashes before reading The
Karen
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book introduces you to Yoncey Fosch who wants to save his brother and other clan members from a plague - whatever it may cost him.

With "The Curse", Jina S. Bazzar presents us with the prequel to "Heir of Ashes", introducing the Roxanne Fosch series. This prequel is a sound basis for the series, telling the story of how Roxanne Fosch came to be. The story is nicely elaborated, comprises interesting turns, and has a good flow. Jina S. Bazzar introduces each character with care, providing them
Jessica Belmont
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

This is a very character driven prequel, providing a lot of background information and character development needed to understand some connection elements inHeir of Ashes.

I think it was really great to get some insight on what happened before, why certain decisions were made, and it overall gave me a better understanding of Roxanne’s origin and the world itself.

I did read this prior to readingHeir of Ashes, and I think it doesn’t
Lisa Reynolds
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Curse (2018) by Jina S. Bazzar is the prequel to Bazzar’s debut novel Heir of Ashes and is a stunning introduction to the series.

In this book we follow the story of protagonist Yoncey Fosch who is the leader of the Unseelie Dhiultadh. He is a huge family man and sets about preventing his brother’s death from a plague. He agrees to help out his biggest enemy Queen Titania’s consort in exchange for his brother’s safety. But soon he finds himself in a huge dilemma and his family man instincts
C.E. Clayton
“The Curse” is, technically, the prequel to “Heir of Ashes” though I found I didn’t have as much fun with it as the main book. Some answers are provided surrounding what Roxanne is and how she came to be, and why she was left with certain people, but a whole host of other questions get presented as well that I didn’t feel were addressed properly, but that’s mainly due to the short length of the story.

Given there are a handful of new characters presented in this novella, and we get to be in each
D. Peach
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read the first book, Heir to Ashes, in the Roxanne Fosch series and thoroughly enjoyed it. This novella fills in a lot of backstory regarding Roxanne’s parentage, how her birth came about, and why she is an anomaly. It is packed with information about the different fantasy races, their political rivalries, bargains, and secrets. There are also a lot of characters.

I think the novella works well as an addendum to the series, and I was glad that I’d read at least one of the novels first since
Katjes
Mar 12, 2019
Vivek
Dec 22, 2018
Jina Bazzar
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sanne
Apr 09, 2018

• Life’s Rich Tapestry: Woven in Words
  • Word Painting Revised Edition: The Fine Art of Writing Descriptively
  • Doggerel: Life with the Small Dog
  • Blue
  • Telling Sonny
  • Silent Heroes: When Love and Values Are Worth Fighting for
  • Starship Sakira (Delphi in Space #1)
  • Tales from the Circle Volume 1: Rise of the Sorcerer King
  • The Man From Empire (Rediscovery)
  • Incensa (The Quadrant, #1)
  • TRIED & (Still) TRUE
  • Broken Heart Attack (Braxton Campus Mysteries #2)
  • Father Figure
  • Flights of Fancy
  • Through the Nethergate
  • The Desolate Garden
  • Academic Curveball (Braxton Campus Mysteries #1)
  • Kalorama Road
I’m a freelance writer, a blogger, a mother, a baker, a chocolate fiend, a coffee enthusiast, and sometimes a poet. A wanderer in this vast world, I’m just another body with a passion for the written word. There is no boundary I can’t cross, no limit I can’t push; my mind is my passport, my thoughts my mode of transportation.
I was born and raised in a quiet, small town in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,

The Roxanne Fosch Files (4 books)
  • Heir of Ashes (The Roxanne Fosch Files, #1)
  • Heir of Doom (The Roxanne Fosch Files, #2)
  • Heir of Fury (The Roxanne Fosch Files, #3)