Start by marking “Drive (The Volunteers Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Drive (The Volunteers Book 1)

Drive (The Volunteers Book 1)

Et Omnia Recta—to make things right.

In the late 1800s, a secret society is formed by a captain from Teddy Roosevelt’s Rough Riders with the support of the nation’s leading industrialists and bankers. Over a century later, the tradition continues, in the same saloons and boardrooms of New York City where it all began.

In this crime thriller, where history and current eve
Published March 6th 2018 by thewordverve inc.

To ask other readers questions about Drive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drive

Start your review of Drive (The Volunteers Book 1)
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"Drive" is a dual narrative set in the late 1800s/ early 1900s and the present day. The historical part of the book is all about a group of people with the likes of Teddy Roosevelt (I will read anything about this man) and infamous journalist Jacob Riis at the forefront of the fight against the Tammany Hall machine. They are the Volunteers and they seek to make the world a better, more fair place even if it puts them in danger. The present day is a more typical thriller where Annie, a young woma ...more
Linda Munro
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via a goodreads giveaway.

It begins in the early 1900’s, a tradition of being responsible behind the scenes; clearing up injustices and righting wrongs. The background to this group of “Volunteers” is concise and rather exciting; but more than a century later this group is still active behind the scenes. In fact, the meetings are being held in some of the original boardrooms and saloons from a century prior.

Today, many members of the Volunteers are descendants of the original
Donnajo
I voluntarily read a advanced reader's copy of this book NetGalley

Drive by John Nuckel. The first book in The Volunteers series. Not my usual type of read. It did take my longer to get though but I did enjoy it in the end. The storyline goes back and forth in time. I did enjoy the current main times of the story it had me going back to find out what happened at the end.
Boundless Book Reviews
Secret society. You hear these words all the time and yet, most do not believe them. The story follows a secret society known as The Volunteers, that is told from the past view and the present. It's a story full of history and mystery. From past members that include Teddy  Roosevelt and Woodbury Kane to present day members that include Annie Falcone, a cop of New York, this story is a thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I am surprised to say that I liked this book. I am a lover of h
Angie Gallion
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic ride

John Nuckel’s writing is smooth and intelligently executed. Drive walks two timelines and both timeline stories are complete but open to future continuation. His character development is solid and his historical research must have been very thorough for the historical figures to be so well articulated.

Drive is a fast paced page turner, but unlike many in this genre it is fully fleshed out and does not rely solely on action to move the stories along, there is ample backstory and cha
Paul
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. It had a large historical context since the author referenced the late 1800's and early 1900's and the time of Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders. Teddy Roosevelt was also the chief of police in NYC for a while. The author provides the historical context of a volunteer organization. I didn't research it to see if it was based on fact but it was very believable.
The main plot was very interesting since it took a modern day focus on a volunteer secret society that wa
Jay Williams
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story takes place in the present and in the past as a group of vigilantes is formed that continues through the present day. While the past sets the stage for a clandestine organization called the Volunteers, the story in the present involves a New York City Policewoman who is recruited to the Volunteers by her father. The tension ratchets up as she is assigned to protect a top hacker who has staged his own death to hide from his pursuers. All the characters are very realistic and some are h ...more
Robert Ullrich
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge
I was fortunate enough to receive an advance copy of Drive to review. I was pleasantly surprised at the historical nature of the novel - tied to today. Mr. Nuckel achieves what few others have for me, (think James Clavell), by creating a historical thriller that blurs the lines between reality and fiction - in essence, you are left wondering if it IS truly fiction... Well met Mr. Nuckel.
giftedteacher
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed how this story took place in both the present and the past, plus the honor and duty demonstrated by the good characters. It was exciting and I had to keep reading to find out what happened next!

I received a free electronic copy of this book from the publisher vie NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Ellen Whitfield
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gripping book will keep fans of thrillers AND historical fiction entertained. You can tell how much research the author put into writing it, and I found it immensely enjoyable!!
Marissa DeCuir
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drive ties together real historical events from the turn of the century with modern-day conspiracy and intrigue in this intricate crime drama.
Barb
Sep 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: listening
Decent crime novel, listened to on our way to Montana. The narrator, Garfield Maitland, is an old friend and did a great job.
Annie
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This historical thriller will have you on your toes from start to end! I already cannot wait for the next book in this series.
Phillip Vega
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Nuckel what a great thrill ride! I loved the world he created and what a pageturner! High recommend this novel, and can't wait for the next one! John, we want the next one!! 5 out of 5 stars!! ...more
Sing
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book jumps around a little bit but it all makes sense. I enjoyed the book and happily recommend it.
MR G K DONALDSON
Feb 17, 2019
Michelle
Apr 19, 2018
Brittany Mancini
rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2018
Eileen
Jul 22, 2018
J.D. DeHart
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What promises to be a series combines suspense with a sense of history. Author John Nuckle writes in a galloping style that builds tension and he has an eye for tasty dialogue. It's a little reminiscent of Dan Brown, a little bit David Morrell, but with a sense of its own. I would recommend Drive for readers male and female...especially those readers among my friends and colleagues who are looking for a historial novel with a little more octane. ...more
Shay
Sep 02, 2020
Linda Jackson
May 26, 2018
Dan Esparza
Aug 28, 2018

• The Other Magic (Passage to Dawn, #1)
  • Hawk: Hellfire
  • In The Shadow Of A Valiant Moon (It Takes Death To Reach A Star, #2)
  • The Whisper of Trees: A Tale About Love, Loss and Life
  • Dreamweavers: Genesis
  • The Song of the Marked (Shadows and Crowns, #1)
  • This Side of Paradise
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • The Beautiful and Damned
  • Collected Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Roihan (Cyborg Warriors, #2)
  • A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2)
  • The Pirate's Scourge (Blood Sea Tales Book 1)
  • The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, and Other Stories
  • Scarlet Feather
  • Tara Road
  • Drive: A Crime Thriller (The Volunteers Book 1)
  • Bernice Bobs Her Hair
Everyone has a story, here’s mine

I grew up in the welfare apartments of a middle class town. “I’ll meet you there.”
I’d always say. Couldn’t have them see the two bedroom for five kids and Mom.
I lived in two worlds. Jock and good student in town. Getting busted for smashing car windshields back in my neighborhood. Once my brothers and I broke into an apartment, then proudly walked around waving the