Start by marking “The Cabin at the End of the World” as Want to Read:
The Cabin at the End of the World

The Cabin at the End of the World

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  2,595 Ratings  ·  591 Reviews
The Bram Stoker Award-winning author of A Head Full of Ghosts adds an inventive twist to the home invasion horror story in a heart-palpitating novel of psychological suspense that recalls Stephen King’s Misery, Ruth Ware’s In a Dark, Dark Wood, and Jack Ketchum’s cult hit The Girl Next Door.

Seven-year-old Wen and her parents, Eric and Andrew, are vacationing at a remote ca
Published June 26th 2018 by Titan Books Ltd

karen

what. the. fuck. was. that?

here’s the thing, ever since paul tremblay wrote A Head Full of Ghosts and slipped in a character named “karen brissette” whose voice sounded an awful lot like the inside of my own (ghostless) head, i’ve been pestering him with, “am i gonna be in the next book, huh?? huh?? huh?? am i??"

but i am so glad to not be in this one because YEESH.

i don’t even know how to review it.

it’s pretty telling that the synopsis on here and the back-cover copy of the ARC is basically, “
Will Byrnes
When the end is near will you know it? Will signs appear to show it? And what sort of end will it be? Ice or fire? Conflagration? Land consumed by an angry sea? And what if there’s uncertainty? What if this is not the result of that, but just the way things are, under no one’s control to cause or prevent? And if there is no control, what is the role of those who speak on behalf of an unseen power? Do they suffer from confusion, perhaps delusion? Can we take them at their word? What if they insis ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
Shelves: from-publisher
3.5 STARS

"Your dads won't let us in, Wen. But they have to. Tell them they have to. We are not here to hurt you. We need your help to save the world. Please."

I love that, when you pick up a Paul Tremblay novel, you never know exactly what you're getting yourself into until you finish the book. Each one of his novels are widely different in plot, but also wholly similar in their unsettling and deliciously compulsive nature. Each of his fans have their own personal favorite; for me, that's A Head
Debra
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

When I first started reading this book, I thought if the horror films "The Strangers" and "The Cabin in the woods" had a baby - it would be this book! Of course, there are major differences (and plots) but still....

A getaway to a cabin sounds like a perfect time away for Wen and her two dads. They are going to relax, she wants to catch some grasshoppers and they plan to enjoy the lake. But one day a man approaches Wen while she is busy catching her grasshoppers and tells her "None of wh
Char
THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD takes a look at an American family and asks what are you willing to do to protect them? But this book asks that question in an unique way- right before it rips your heart out and stomps all over it!

Eric and Andrew take their daughter Wen on vacation to a remote cabin located on a lake in the woods of New Hampshire. It's been deliberately chosen because it has no cell service, no internet, no nothing. They want to spend this time together, uninterrupted as a fami
Michelle
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you ever finish a book then realize you have absolutely no idea how to review it? Well, that is this book for me. I'm afraid of saying anything about the plot because of spoilers. I really think this is a book that is best to go into blind.

First and foremost Paul Tremblay gave us characters that you immediately care for. Eric, Andrew, and their adopted daughter Wen are such a breath of fresh air. They feel so real and their interactions with one another were so natural and fluid. That's how
Carrie
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay is a tale of horror that doesn’t involve things like ghosts or demons but uses tension and suspense to keep a reader on the edge just waiting to see what will happen. With the threat of an apocalypse and intense need to protect family the fear and anticipation was oozing from the pages.

The story begins with seven year old Wen out in front of the cabin that she is staying in with her two dads, Eric and Andrew, just doing what kids should do playi
Michael Hicks
The Cabin at the End of the World has a fantastic premise at its core, and if this story had been a novella or a 90-minute movie, I likely would have enjoyed it a whole lot more. Instead, Tremblay stuffs and stretches a simple yet awesome idea into a full-length novel that's both padded and repetitive to a frustrating degree.

Without spoiling things, The Cabin at the End of the World is a home invasion novel with apocalyptic overtones. Andrew and Eric, and their adopted Chinese daughter, Wen, are
Mindi
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC in a giveaway from the author.

I'm going to hide any major spoilers in this review, but I am including a short synopsis, so if you want to go into this book knowing nothing you should stop right here.

Seven-year-old Wen and her dads Eric and Andrew take a vacation to a remote cabin on a lake in New Hampshire. Wen is catching grasshoppers in the front yard when a large man approaches her and tries to befriend her. She's initially hesitant and considers getting her dads, but Leon
Jessica Woodbury
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, horror
I read a book in one sitting every now and then when the book is short and the circumstances are just right. This book is not that short and the circumstances were not ideal but I could not stop reading it. So be careful when you start this book. If it is night time and you are in bed, when you finally finish it you're going to have a hard time getting to sleep even if you've stayed up to the wee hours.

Horror novels and thrillers should, in my opinion, mainly be exercises in creating feelings or
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I typically write my reviews as soon as I'm done reading the book so my thoughts are fresh and I say exactly how I felt as I turned that last page. With this one, I'm glad I took the night to mull my thoughts over. Tremblay has outdone himself with this book. The blurb on the back cover sums it up perfectly: a "...gripping tale of paranoia, sacrifice, apocalypse and survival..." You really don't need to know anything more than that before going in.

The beginning starts off innocently enough as we
Kimberly
4.5 Stars!

THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD, by Paul Tremblay, is an intense, emotional novel of raw psychological horror. From the very first chapter, I was riveted and completely entranced by this novel. In terms of the storytelling, I honestly don't think there was anything that could have increased the nail-biting tension I felt during this read. Once begun, there was simply NO place that "felt" like a good stopping point. I was compelled to keep turning those pages to see what would happen
Schizanthus
Trigger warnings for gory violence, home invasion, flashbacks and discussion of a homophobic hate crime, and scenes that may cause your blood pressure to rise.

This is one of those books where you’re certain going into it that you know what you’re getting yourself into, but then you learn you had no idea. An isolated cabin in the woods inhabited by a family whose respite is interrupted by a group of strangers with possible mayhem in mind. That’s been done before, right? I’ve seen the movies.

What
Cody | codysbookshelf
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Cabin at the End of the World, the latest from horror master Paul Tremblay, begins on the front lawn of a secluded cabin: Wen, a girl of seven, is catching caterpillars and naming them. A stranger appears; he is a young man of intimidating stature. He introduces himself to the girl and Wen, exceptionally perceptive for her age, senses something is wrong.

What Tremblay has proven in recent novels is he specializes in writing children, and those skills are well utilized here. Cabin’s opening c
J.D. Barker
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Tremblay is the real deal! CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD is a heart-pounding, edge of your seat thriller that will leave you with one simple question - what would you do?
Jessica
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partner-read
Thanks to William Morrow for the free advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.

I had heard nothing but great things going into THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD, and I was anxious to get started. Holy crap, guys. The first chapter alone pulls you in instantly and the suspense created in the last couple pages of chapter one was insane. Literally felt my heart racing as the chapter continued and that didn't quit for the rest of the book.

We are introduced to Wen, she's almost 8 years old, and
Dennis
This book is going to be the most difficult book to review in 2018, I can call this out now. Wow, I am at a loss for words at the moment. How do you review a book that you're still questioning about a day later? The Cabin at the End of the World is my first attempt in venturing into Paul Tremblay's world of horror and psychological suspense. The story's arc is your typical home invasion horror (one of my favorite movies The Strangers comes to mind), mixed with the confusion and chaos reminisce ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
5.0 Stars Video Review: https://youtu.be/WbFLsvc2ag0
Beautiful and devastating, this was an emotionally poignant, high-stakes story of love and sacrifice. Written with precision, this story had sharp prose and excellent word choice. The narrative was so tight and well plotted. There was not any wasted space in this satisfying short novel. The level of intensity was incredibly addicting. I was literary holding me breath when reading because I was so immersed in the story.

While the book itself was
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/07/02/...

I was a huge fan of Paul Tremblay’s A Head Full of Ghosts. But his next novel Disappearance at Devil’s Rock? Not so much. Which is why I was curious when I found out about The Cabin at the End of World, because I wondered just how it would stack up. And as it turned out, I think it fell somewhere in between. Still, one thing is certain—this one feels very different from the author’s previous work.

The story opens on a remot
Gabby
I don't think I've ever had so much anxiety while reading a book before. I read this book late at night and it gave me so much anxiety I literally jumped all the smallest sound off i the distance. This is a horror/thriller novel about this family who gets attacked in their home. It follows a gay couple Eric and Andrew and their daughter Wen. I loved reading about a LGBT characters in a thriller, because they are so underrepresented in thrillers, and it's amazing to see it being normalized like t ...more
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Review to come in SCREAM MAG and after print, I’ll post it here for everyone
Amelia
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it

Full spoiler-free review: https://amelianamora18.wixsite.com/am...
Bracken
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not at all often that a book gets under my skin the way this one did, but boy did this one burrow in deep! In every way a book could have pushed my buttons (in a good way) it did. It's uncomfortable, tense, and absolutely perfect in every way imaginable. Check your door locks before you sit down to read this one, because once you start, you're not going to want to put it down.
Emily
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished The Cabin at the End of the World last night, and I don't even know what to say about it. This is a short book (under 300 pages), but the content inside is heavy. This isn't a "fun" read like A Head Full of Ghosts, so don't go into it expecting that. This book deals with a few of my personal fears and concerns, so it was a stressful read at times. It's a good and interesting story, but it may hurt your heart a bit. I don't want to say much else, so this is what you get.
Shane Douglas Keene
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 2018-faves
Yeah, five stars because I can't do fifty fucking stars. This book is utterly brilliant from cover to cover. Tremblay pulls out all the stops and turns another common horror theme on it's head, giving us both his best and his most horrifyingly brutal horror novel to date. Full review coming soon but don't wait for it. Preorder this incredible novel now.
Chelsea
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
This book was...something. I’m still not entirely sure what to make of it, but I find myself respecting the hell out of what Tremblay was trying to do with this story, even if it didn’t work 100% of the time.

I went into this having no idea what it was about, and I would highly recommend doing the same if you plan to read this.
All I’ll say is that the first chapter follows a young girl, on vacation with her two dads in an extremely isolated area when a man approaches her while she is playing in
Felicia
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow after the chest pains subside.
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
4.5 Stars

Paul Tremblay continues to be one of my favorite horror writers to date, and books like this are the reason why. The Cabin at the End of the World grabs you right from the beginning and does not let you go. I had to physically put this book down because I felt like I was in this muggy cramped cabin facing the world with these characters and I just couldn't handle that. This is The Strangers meets Cabin in the Woods and it just works. When I was finished I put the book down and stared in
Frank Phillips
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have very mixed feelings about this one. In some ways it was not at all what I expected but in other ways it ended exactly like I thought it would. This is the type of book you really can't say a lot about because it will ruin everything, so as usual I won't get in too much about the plot, but essentially this is a home invasion novel.
I liked many things about this novel, especially that the central characters were a gay couple! I'm a gay man, and can say unfortunately for me, I've read few b
Crowinator
This review pretty much says what I'd like to say about this unnerving home invasion story, but of course it is written by John Langan, so it is so much better (also, SPOILERS ahead for thematic structure and general story beats):

I will eventually try to write why I found this book so suspenseful that I was simultaneously scared to keep reading (almost repulsed, in fact) and yet unable to stop.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 4 14 Jul 16, 2018 07:28AM
Paul Tremblay is the author of DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL'S ROCK and the award-winning A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS. His other novels include THE LITTLE SLEEP (Henry Holt), NO SLEEP TILL WONDERLAND (Henry Holt), SWALLOWING A DONKEY'S EYE (Chizine Publications), and the YA novel FLOATING BOY AND THE GIRL WHO COULDN'T FLY (co-written with Stephen Graham Jones, as P. T. Jones).

He is the author of the short sto
More about Paul Tremblay

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things