Start by marking “Paper Gods: A Novel of Money, Race, and Politics” as Want to Read:
Paper Gods: A Novel of Money, Race, and Politics

Paper Gods: A Novel of Money, Race, and Politics

The mayor of Atlanta and a washed-up reporter investigate a series of assassinations, and uncover a conspiracy that reaches into the heart of the city's political machine.

Mayor Victoria Dobbs Overstreet is a Harvard-trained attorney and Spelman alum, married to a celebrated heart surgeon, mother to beautiful twin girls, and a political genius. When her mentor, ally, and fr
Published October 23rd 2018 by All Points Books

To ask other readers questions about Paper Gods, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Stephanie In the first situation on 258, it is when Victoria and the SOC team is meeting at City Hall and the mayor is telling her what she knows about the pape…moreIn the first situation on 258, it is when Victoria and the SOC team is meeting at City Hall and the mayor is telling her what she knows about the paper gods.

In the second situation, on page 292, it is when Hampton has begged himself into Victoria's house and is telling her that Claire has been poisoned, along with the letter from Chanel.

To my knowledge, and I read this book very thoroughly, there were no DETECTIVES in the Delacourte family. (less)

Start your review of Paper Gods: A Novel of Money, Race, and Politics
Natalie
This book has all the elements which should make it a terrific read, politics, race and murder...but somehow I found it less engaging than I had expected. I think having so many elements and sooo many characters and sooo many twists caused it to be muddled rather than entertaining.

I actually found it hard work to get through all this.

Yes, lots of great discussions can emerge, but I did find it lacking.
Ashley Houser
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me just start with a thank you to St. Martin's Press for this surprise I found on my doorstep recently. After opening the package (book mail is the best!), I immediately added it to my stack.

The first thing that intrigued me about this book was the gorgeous cover. The Atlanta skyline at night is the perfect backdrop for this political thriller set in Atlanta. And this book is very "Atlanta.". From the geographic descriptions to the narration to the discussions of race, I could feel the Atlan
Monica **can't read fast enough**
I listened to the audio version of Paper Gods and I actually think that I would have enjoyed the story more if I had read it instead. The narrator was fine but I didn't enjoy the way she narrated the male characters, it just sounded weird to my ear and her southern drawl for a few of the more sinister male characters was almost comical. Bahni Turpin is a really good narrator so I was surprised to have not enjoyed this one as an audio book.

The actual story is a bit drawn out and there are a lot o
Lori
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Paper Gods” by Goldie Taylor is honestly one of the best books I’ve read in 2018. This is surprising, considering the fact that I despise politics. This book is so well written, the author obviously knows her stuff about politics, the characters are extremely interesting and well developed…I could not put it down. The story includes many bad people, a few good people and a plot line that goes back years.

Hampton Bridges is a journalist, kind of a dying profession these days, and he has made som
Kendall Grey
I listened to PAPER GODS on Audible and connected most with the setting. It takes place in my hometown of Atlanta, and hearing about all the familiar sights and streets was fun. The story itself was an enjoyable mystery with enough suspense to make me want to keep listening. It wasn't too hard to figure out, but I liked the twists and turns. Politics, race, greed, and intrigue reign in PAPER GODS, and while it's fiction, I could see a lot of the real world in the story too.

Bahni Turpin is one of
Sharon
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whodunnit
Newspaperman Hampton Bridges is in a suspicious car accident that leaves him partially paralyzed. Congressman Ezra Hawkins is assassinated in his church. Both crimes seem to have connections to Atlanta Mayor Victoria Dobbs ... and Bridges is determined to find out the truth. The other thing those crimes, as well as subsequent ones, have in common is the origami "paper gods" left at the scene by the perpetrator.

Of course, this puts him squarely in the sights of The League, a shadowy all-white org
Cindy
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The first half of this book is 4 stars but by 60-70% of the way through it I just didn't care enough about the plot, the characters or who did it. It's definitely fun if you know Atlanta and their communities well. It has intrigued, politics, lots of drama and egos and a whodonit - but it just didn't do it for me. The writing is strong enough that I kept reading and I would consider trying another book by this author.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an advance copy in exchange for an
Jess George
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book was ridiculous and fun. Good beach read!
IJM
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Had all the right elements of a juicy, tawdry, scandalous book, but didn't quite stick the landing. But still an enjoyable read.
Darshann M. Wienick
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read this book, and it certainly does not disappoint. So many layers of secrets and intrigue, masterfully woven together by author Goldie Taylor. For me, never having visited Atlanta, I really appreciate the manner in which Ms. Taylor provides such rich detail of race, politics, and culture. It makes me want to book a trip!

I have read literally hundreds of crime dramas and political thrillers, and it’s unusual for me to be surprised at the end. But wow, was I ever! I hope the
Hpnyknits
This had so much potential, but the characters didn’t ring true. The author desperately wanted to weave in too many elements, and the characters ended up being stereotypes. And the story- the big secrets, the plots- was flat.
Coquinegra
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Halfway through this book, I was ready to hunt Goldie Taylor down! The book is full of action and you are almost sure you can figure out who each character is based on. The book is particularly interesting if you understand the Black community in Atlanta.
Kim robinson
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it was a roller coaster ride and showed how much drama there is in the world of church and politics.
Sabrina Kaye Fox
I have to admit that Paper Gods was out of my comfort zone. I don't do politics. I ignore it and hope for the best. I know that's not the best thing to do with how the world is right now, but I just don't partake and I'm not ashamed about it. ;) When I say I don't do politics, that includes reading books about them. I don't think I've ever read a book centered around politics in my life until I received this one in the mail.

I cracked it open anyway and found a tale of corrupt politicians (surpri
Whit
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the publisher for sending over a review copy in exchange for my honest review.

Goldie Taylor is a journalist, news executive, and political consultant who is conversant with Atlanta politics. She delivered PAPER GODS with enthralling details which helped the story flow. Being intrigued by the mystery of the plot kept me reading despite the other issues I had with the story. I felt like I was in the middle of an episode of Law & Order with the cast of The Real Housewives of Atlanta as th
Amelia
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audioread
Things I liked: Taylor did a good job of acknowledging that humans are flawed, even the protagonists. She doesn't shine up romance and humans to make them more virtuous than they are. It's a difficult line to walk though because I found it hard to root for any of the characters as much as I would like.

On the other hand, I am not a huge fan of politics, and I thought this was going to be a murder mystery with a little bit of a political lean. It felt more like a political book (not like it had a
Jeffrey
The mayor of Atlanta, Georgia decides to enter the race to become a senator. The mayor,who is African-American has shown that she is just as corrupt as other politicians. People that she knows are murdered.

At one point, the mayor's gang of police officers grab a police detective and beat him up(all of this beating happens as the mayor watches this from the other side of a one way mirror).

There's also an investigative reporter who is a thorn in the mayor's side. The funny thing is, when I read ab
Kathleen Gray
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the heck is going on in Atlanta? The Mayor, Victoria Hobbs, is watching people around her and wondering why her friends and colleagues are being killed. What's with the little origami? Hampton Bridges is a journalist whose career is in the tank and he needs a good story but there's also the very real problem of the killer. I suspect those familiar with the city will praise this for how Atlanta is used as a character. There are a number of themes here, some of which are better explored than ...more
Shameka Erby
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gripping

This was a pretty good political drama. The writing was quick and sharp, blazing my mind with the facts of the politics/journalism machine without forgetting to keep me engaged. Sex and murder are a common enough scandal but Paper Gods gives you enough weight to feel a difference between it and everything you've read before. There were moments when I felt like I wasn't quite keeping up, where I thought the plot was moving before I had a chance to catch up to it, but overall it was great.
The CurvyJones
Jaclyn
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the most terrible book I have read in a long time. I pushed through to finish but only because I couldnt wait to move onto another book. The authors only care seems to be name dropping expensive items (cars, watches, clothing, shoes, addresses). The writing is horrible, I dont even care about a single character in this book or what happens to them because not one of them is empathetic. HORRIBLE BOOK. save your time and read something else. ANYTHING else.
Marys
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read on the Atlanta political scene; however, I had to really concentrate to keep track of all the characters, how they were related and what part they played in the story. Also had trouble sorting through what was part of the present story and what was part of the past as it jumped from paragraph to paragraph. Unfortunately, none of the characters were very likable and I was happy to say goodbye to them all.
Barbara
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Paper Gods is a political thriller set in Atlanta, Georgia. The title refers to the origami figures a few of the characters receive along the way. The story includes dramatic murders, political corruption, and a surprising ending.

I received a free review copy of Paper Gods through Goodreads Giveaways.
Tamara
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just fair. There were too many characters. At times the author seemed to introduce a character in a way that seemed we should already know who it was, even though it was the first time the character appeared in the story. It was predictable.
Beth Tilley
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sensational Political Thriller!!!
Tonya Krout
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of characters who took quite some time to get straightened out.

This is what we are beginning to find out is the behind the scenes story of many of our current politicians.
Dawn
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Loved that it was set in Atlanta with s powerful women politician.
Natalie
Not impressed. It became a juggling of characters and which one was supporting whom and what the other group was doing to beat the first group.
Mark
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kind of political thriller. Simple, predictable, and an enjoyable smooth read
Jule
This novel starts with a bang and then slowly trickles down to a whisper, leaving the reader with an ending that is as confusing as it is unsatisfactory. It begins with a murder and a political race that is indeed linked closely to money, power, and race, as well as the city of Atlanta, where this is set. We follow one of the candidates for this political race for a seat in congress - a woman who is already the mayor, and who has to watch as people close to her get murderer, each marked with an ...more
Victoria and her her husbands relationship 1 1 Sep 09, 2019 02:00PM
Book club discussion questions 1 1 Sep 09, 2019 01:42PM

• Saving Ruby King
  • Hollywood Homicide (Detective by Day, #1)
  • Murder at the Mena House (A Jane Wunderly Mystery #1)
  • A Good Family
  • How We Get Free: Black Feminism and the Combahee River Collective
  • Majesty (American Royals, #2)
  • In West Mills
  • Too Sweet to Be Good (Sugar Lake #2)
  • The Further Tales of Tempest Landry
  • Let Us Dream
  • The Girls Weekend
  • Our Time Is Now: Power, Purpose, and the Fight for a Fair America
  • Then There was You (Precious Moments #3)
  • Goodbye from Nowhere
  • Thank You for Voting: The Maddening, Enlightening, Inspiring Truth About Voting in America
  • Heaven, My Home (Highway 59 #2)
  • All This Could Be Yours