Start by marking “The Red Fox Clan (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Red Fox Clan (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger, #2)

The Red Fox Clan

(Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger #2)

#1 New York Times bestselling author John Flanagan returns to the world of Ranger's Apprentice, continuing the story arc starring fan favorites, Will and Maddie (The Royal Ranger: A New Beginning).

Picking up where The Royal Ranger: A New Beginning left off, this next installment continues the story arc featuring young apprentice, Maddie, and the student-turned-master, Will
Published August 21st 2018 by Philomel Books (first published June 20th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Fox Clan, please sign up.
Christian Yes. The Royal Ranger was retitled to Royal Ranger: A New Beginning, and it was made into the first of a spinoff series called The Ranger's Apprentice…moreYes. The Royal Ranger was retitled to Royal Ranger: A New Beginning, and it was made into the first of a spinoff series called The Ranger's Apprentice: Royal Ranger.(less)

Start your review of The Red Fox Clan (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger, #2)
Tricia Mingerink
It wasn't perfect and one major thing bugged me through the whole book, but I still really, really, really loved it, and I think I'm going to love it more when the sequel comes out (if the sequel lives up to the set up of this book).

After the disappointment of the last two Brotherband books, I was really hoping this book wouldn't continue the trend. I'm happy to say it didn't, at least for me.

The plot was really unique and, while similar to other Ranger's Apprentice books, was still different
Karis
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a dedicated Ranger Apprentice fan I couldn’t help approach this book with a bit of hesitation. I was comfortable with how the series had ended, well mostly, and did not know what to think of the idea of a new series with its central focus on Maddie as a ranger and princess. (Especially seeing as I’ve always had the stance that Rangers and royalty shouldn’t mix.) But it was as if John Flanagan knew that and gave his all to win me over from the very beginning.

While not a perfect book, The Red
Jerecho
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Book 2 of the royal ranger is not interesting as the other books written by JF. It's predictable except the last part that is to be continued...

3/4 of the book is boring and then the last quarter of the book becomes exciting and I'm hoping it is going somewhere but all it says is to be continued...

So can I continue in the next issue??? Just disappointed with this one...

2stars for the author to realize that we read and buy books because we appreciate the story and we love the characters that y
Skip
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Skip by: Almira
Shelves: e-books, fantasy
A group of insurgents in the kingdom of Araluen are stirring up trouble for Princess Cassandra as they seek to overturn the change in law made by her father, King Duncan, prior to her birth restricting ascendants to male heirs. Harald and Chief Ranger Gilan take half of the Castle's guard north to quell the disturbance, when they find themselves substantially overmatched. Meanwhile, Cassandra's daughter Maddie, who is secretly training to become a Ranger, has completed her third year trial and i ...more
Karen ⊰✿
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno_2019
Maddie is in her 4th year as a Ranger's apprentice, but she is not a typical apprentice. She is the crown princess and her apprenticeship needs to be kept a secret.
At the same time, a dangerous group called the "Red Fox Clan" are trying to gain support and membership for their cause - which is to remove the law enabling females to succeed to the throne, thereby blocking Maddie and her mother from ruling Araluen.

This wasn't my favourite from this series / spin off series. I think as most of the
Daphne Belderol
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Will and Gilan against halt is just too hilarious.
I'm glad Maddie learned her lessons. Yay for the skandians visiting. I did miss Lydia. The cliffhanger made me think. I am wondering what happened to will and halt. Bumper's responses are cute. The tunnels are scary. The inverted flag was new to me. Sensei. Now I want learn how to use a practice katana.
Cameron (LostInStories)
Not as good as the previous books but not bad.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
THE RED FOX CLAN is another steadily-building plot towards a very climatic ending, with characters fans of the series have come to love with the addition of the new Ranger Apprentice, Maddie. With lessons ahead for Maddie to learn, she finds herself in a desperate position and in need of all her resources. Another exciting addition to the series and a story that readers will keep turning pages to finish.

This story follows two years after the last book. Maddie is a little older with her skills mo
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
So, I'd somehow let myself forget Flanagan's fondness for multi-book arcs, so, yes, this book is only the beginning of the story which will probably be wrapped up in the next book, and I'd gotten good at remembering this and waiting for awhile to get to them, but I forgot.

And, yes, this does end in the middle of the story.

Not a cliffhanger, per se, but it does end up being a lot of set-up for the story as a whole.

Curse Flanagan and his whole "writing for TV" thing.

Anyway -

That aside, I did enjo
Kathy Davie
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second in The Royal Ranger spin-off series and part of the overall Ranger's Apprentice universe for middle-grade readers revolving around Princess Maddie who chose to become a ranger.

My Take
I do adore Flanagan's Ranger Apprentice series (all his series, really). His characters are great role models for kids AND the adults in the stories treat the kids as intelligent people, not like little "kiddies".

In his Royal Ranger spin-off, I love that Maddie provides the girls with a role model to look up
Brianna
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This one was slower and less interesting than the other books in the series, and the plot was too predictable, which was why I found the first 3/4 of it too boring. This book is more about setting up the next book, like how The Sorcerer in the North sets the scene for The Siege of Macindaw.
Ian
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book would recommend to anyone who will listen.
Liz Thiele
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Annie (Putt)
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I keep thinking the Ranger's Apprentice series will fade, and then a glorious book like this gets published. Maddie is a phenomenal character. She's strong without being cliche and a ranger to the core. I'm loving the evolution of her character from The Royal Ranger to this. From pampered princess to a hard-working warrior, she's grown up.

Also Halt's story about the nanny goat made this book a million times greater.
Eoin Garvin
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
A fun book. But too predictable from the beginning. You knew who the leader was of the Red Fox Clan from the moment he is introduced. And you knew how Maddie would escape when she was being tracked down since she failed at the same exercise earlier. Other than that, a decent read.
Michael Long
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another really good book in the Ranger's Apprentice series. In this book, Araluen is finally in peril. It has all the same elements of the previous books, and is very well done. It portrays Maddy very well as a talented, but still learning ranger apprentice who still makes mistakes. The only downsides are that Will isn't in the book much, and the book ends rather abruptly with "to be continued". It would have been better to release the entire story as one book. But never-the-less, it is an excel ...more
June
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Flanagen fans
"His audiences were, for the most part, unsophisticated country fold, and villagers, and he used all the tricks of the rabble-rouser's trade to play upon their prejudices and intolerence..."

"It was part of that big lie that he had created - the lie that, told often enough, became truth in the minds of those listening."

Maddie is a fourth year Ranger's Apprentice now. She and her Lady's Maid bring down three brigands on their way to visit her mother. Her father, Horace, and Gilan head out to deal
Elizabeth Howe
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
His writing does it again. The little details that I find myself impressed by. I do however feel like this one was a little slow-moving. It's building up the set up for the next book more than it's speaking for itself. I wish that this book and the next one would have just been released as a super adventure or something speial like that to appeal to the kids of this age. Over all I loved the book and I'm looking forward to reading the next one!
Sally906
All the audio books in the Ranger’s Apprentice & Royal Ranger series so far have been read by William Zappa.

This one was read by John Keating and he is TERRIBLE!

Ruined the whole story.

Then to make matters worse the story ended with “…To be continued…”

Mr Flanagan - bad author- bad, bad author.
Kaden Belcher
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure how I felt about John Flanagan starting another series in the same universe, but so far I've been impressed. He continues to deliver a solid story and build new and old characters alike. Looking forward to continue to follow Maddy's story in the next book! Definitely recommend for fans of his previous books!
Joe
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great job by Flanagan! I was worried that with so many books, I would just get tired of the same old shtick. Nope. I was mad when the “To Be Continued” appeared, although I’m glad it did. There was no way all the intricacies could have been wrapped up neatly enough in so short a time. I guess it was a good thing this one got put off until the next was finished. Can’t wait.
Steve
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book great story then boom it ends. Cliff hanger. Argh!!!!!
Jenny Mullin
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really love this series! This book did not disappoint! A brave, skilled princess, secret tunnels, mystery, battle.... it's a great read! I wish I could give this book 4.5 stars!
Mckenzie
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aaaaahhhhh this is such a cliff hanger! I love it but I hate it!
Manon
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You cannot end a book like that! This was once again brilliant!
Jake
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought the beginning and middle was kinda meh, but really enjoyed the second half. Looking forward to the next one
AJP_Bear
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is NOT a stand alone book! 4.5 rounding down until I’ve read the sequel. Ebook not available yet at the libraries I have access to.
Mindy
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Predictable, but still good characters and battles.
CRM
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gripping, I could see where it was going but did not make it any less engaging. Great story, I eagerly await the next adventure.
Mckenzie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AURGH this is the biggest cliff hanger for these series of books. it took everything in my power not to scream when I found I was at the end of the book.... but I couldn't because I was at the bank.
the book is good, it is funny to when she is having to act like a young princesses not a ranger.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover and metadata 3 12 Dec 21, 2018 02:23PM
Rangers Apprentic...: The red fox clan!! 8 7 Aug 01, 2018 07:07AM

• Wrath of the Dragon King (Dragonwatch, #2)
  • Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)
  • Storm Peak (Jesse Parker Mystery, #1)
  • The Fork, the Witch, and the Worm: Eragon (Tales from Alagaësia #1; The Inheritance Cycle World)
  • The Keepers of the Keys (Bears of the Ice #3)
  • The School for the Insanely Gifted
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Curse of Greg (An Epic Series of Failures, #2)
  • Hunting the Hunter (On the Run, #6)
  • Public Enemies (On The Run, #5)
  • Vengeance  (Archer of the Heathland #3)
  • 9 From the Nine Worlds
  • Time Sight
  • Deliverance (Archer of the Heathland #1)
  • Dragon Ghosts (The Unwanteds Quests #3)
  • The Outcast (Summoner, #0.1)
  • Now You See Them, Now You Don't (On The Run, #3)
  • The Stowaway Solution (On The Run, #4)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It

Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger (3 books)
  • The Royal Ranger: A New Beginning (The Royal Ranger, #1)
  • Duel at Araluen (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger #3)