Start by marking “Member of the Family, Manson, Murder and Me” as Want to Read:
Member of the Family, Manson, Murder and Me

Member of the Family, Manson, Murder and Me

Following the recent death of Charles Manson – the leader of the sinister 60s
cult – Dianne Lake reveals the true story of life with Manson and his ‘family’,
who became notorious for a series of shocking murders during the summer
of 1969.

In this poignant and disturbing memoir of lost innocence, coercion, survival, and healing, Dianne Lake chronicles her years with Charles Man
Published March 8th 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Member of the Family, Manson, Murder and Me, please sign up.
William Morrow A note from the publisher, William Morrow, an Imprint of HarperCollins:

The author is not a criminal. She was a victim of Charles Manson’s…more
A note from the publisher, William Morrow, an Imprint of HarperCollins:

The author is not a criminal. She was a victim of Charles Manson’s psychological, sexual, and physical abuse. At 17, she provided testimony that was critical to the prosecution and conviction of Charles Manson and the other family members responsible for the murders. Dianne Lake was an innocent fourteen-year-old girl who was lured into a cult that turned violent. She was never at the scene of any of the murders.

We applaud her courage in testifying then and in coming forward now to tell the truth about her experiences.(less)

Miriam Smith
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter
At 14 I became one of Charles Manson's girls. At 17 I helped put him in prison'......
"Member of the Family - Manson, Murder and Me" is the true story of Charles Manson, one of the 20th Century's most notorious criminal figures - of life inside his cult, the group's descent into madness and the darkness that ended the sixties. Dianne Lake was the youngest and among the earliest of his recruits to what became infamously known as, the 'Family'. She did not participate in the infamous Tate-Labianca
Rebecca McNutt
This is the best book on the Manson Family I've ever read (next to Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders). Really shocking and haunting, and it's all told from the perspective of a fourteen-year-old who found herself immersed in the counterculture cult.
Amy
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
What a harrowing, sad and compelling read this was, Dianne Lake was the youngest member of Charles Manson’s Family and she goes into great detail revealing the three years she spent as a member of one of the most notorious cults in the world. Since she was just a child during her time with Manson this is all the more haunting to know that such a young girl experienced so many horrors at the hands of a deranged and sick individual. Even knowing it’s all true it’s hard to imagine that the events s ...more
Michelle
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy, ebooks
Author Dianne Lake (1953-) became the youngest member of the Manson family at 14, and she shares her incredible story in “Member of the Family: My Story of Charles Manson, Life Inside his Cult and the Darkness that Ended the Sixties” Dianne had lived an ordinary life as a wife, mother, and special education teacher—her married name had afforded her a degree of anonymity, and she had not disclosed her story publically or with her children. This would change with the call of a reporter looking for ...more
kaitlyn
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
4.5 - this was really good, but it was so heartbreaking 💔
Bibliovoracious
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who liked The Girls
Whoa! Exceeds expectations, to put it mildly. I couldn't put it down, to the detriment of my real life, even though I could have googled at any time to see how it turned out.

Dianne Lake wasn't there for the murders, and was never sentenced for anything. She was a minor, 16 in 1969 at the time of the killings, and 14 (!) when she was recruited to the Family. But her story starts long before that, as these things do, with a father who dove wholeheartedly into the spiritual exploration and ethos o
Ellen Gail
First things first: MAJOR FUCKTON TRIGGER WARNING

I don't usually talk about potential triggers in books when I review, but I'm making an exception for this one. If you decide to read this, be prepared for extensive and frequent descriptions of the manipulation, sexual assault, and rape of a 14 year old. Like the level of detail was stomach turning. And as much as I enjoyed the narration in the audiobook, I wish I would have gone with a physical copy. I definitely wanted to skim sometimes.

So, wou
Heather
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
This is another review that proves how “uncultured” I am, because I honestly don’t know very much about Charles Manson & the Family. This book was mostly new information for me as a result. I found it supremely interesting and can’t wait to get my hands on “Helter Skelter”.
Valerity (Val)
I found this to be an incredibly involving read that kept my interest and overall really blew me away. Having read quite a few of the many books written about the murders through the years, and having collected some along the way, I've always been strangely intrigued by the whole story like many people. Written by Dianne Lake, who tells her story of joining the Manson Family as its youngest member at age 14 after becoming lonely and unhappy with her commune-living hippie like family after they " ...more
Debra Jarus
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put it down!

A fascinating, troubling look at the 60's counterculture movement, and how it was perverted by a madman. Having grown up in this era, it has given me a new appreciation for my over protective parents. The author's story, while sad, is ultimately an uplifting view of the power of the human spirit and the power of God.
Emily
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"But that's what it means to be in a cult: You lose a part of yourself to someone else or to a group, so that your entire mind no longer belongs to you."

Member of the Family is a fascinating & haunting read. Dianne Lake is a former Manson Girl, and she goes to very intense levels to be open with the world. I'm impressed by her honesty, and grateful that she chose to share her story.

The book is sad, and is very relatable to my teenage years. Obviously my story is not the same AT ALL, but it'
Karyn
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An insider’s view of the Manson family is a welcome addition to the collection of Manson books. This is well told by Dianne Lake, who was 14 when the family absorbed her. The tale is harrowing, as anyone familiar with this group of people knows, and I found it to be gripping through the very end.
lit.erary.britt
“I’d come to the Family because I’d wanted to belong, because I was looking for a place in the world. I was gradually drawn in until I couldn’t see how lost I’d become.”

Captivating! It starts by laying the groundwork of Lake’s upbringing with drug-addled hippie parents who set her loose at age 14. Then, there’s life with Charlie and the Family. She doesn’t hold back about her participation in the cult or about helping send the guilty to prison.
leslye
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Ok, at first I was skeptical. I kind of thought this would be another self-serving account of a Manson follower trying to excuse murders. But nothing could be further from the truth.

Dianne Lake was just 14 years old when she joined Charles Manson's cult... (just let that sink in for a minute). At 16, members of "The Family" went on their gruesome two-night murder spree. At 17, she found herself in a courtroom testifying against her friends, helping to put them behind bars where most of them rema
Chance Lee
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-story
This book ultimately felt like one overly detailed sexual encounter after another, so much so that when I was skimming the book I thought this passage was about sex: "His powerful legs pummeled me -- bump, bump, bump -- but I wouldn't let go. He never slowed down. The sand and gravel sprayed my face and went into my mouth as Starfire tried to leave me in the dust. As I was underneath his chest, his went mixing with my own, he came to a full stop."

She was actually riding a horse.

Lent to me by a w
Missy (myweereads)
“Memories fade, but trauma remembers.”

Member Of The Family by Dianne Lake and Deborah Herman is a hard and disturbing look into Dianne’s life during the 60s when she was a member of Charles Manson’s infamous cult. At the age of 14 she had no idea what she was getting herself into and this book takes a vivd look at her life with the Family.

I purposely read this book after re-reading Helter Skelter and can honestly say as much information as one can gather of Manson’s control over his family, this
Zulfiya
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The experience is traumatic and devastating, but the writing is pedestrian ( even with the help of the co-author), the tone is very self-righteous and way too instructive and knowledgeable.

What is more, her ugly evangelical attitude is up and loud in this book because in the past she was delusional when it comes to Charlie Manson and prophesies, but now she found the right god that she KNOWS is true. She obviously knows it because there is plenty of empirical evidence, right?

I guess the brain
Nettie Grey
The writing isn't brilliant (not that I expected it to be), but I was still moved by this first hand account of an abused and neglected young girl seeking a place to belong in a world that was eager to exploit but not nurture her. Dianne's parents "dropped out" of straight society when she was young, and they seemed to lose interest in her wellbeing at about the same time. She ended up joining the Manson Family for the camaraderie and love that she was shown by the group initially, but stayed be ...more
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
I have previously read Helter Skelter, along with watching many documentaries about the Manson Family, but I have yet to read a book or watch a documentary that was written by one of the members of the Mason Family. The author has divided this book into 3 parts; the first part explains her life prior to joining the Family and how she eventually ended up the Family, the second part tells about her time, about 2 years, with the Mason Family and the third part tells about her experience escaping th ...more
Roman Clodia
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I knew little about the Manson murders until Emma Clines' The Girls - here Lake tells her story of being drawn into the Manson 'cult' as a young girl. Brought up by a 'hippie' couple who drop out, sell their home and take their 3 kids to live in a converted bread van, Dianne is neglected and abandoned and given no sense of security or morality: she's introduced to drugs by her father, is soon having under-age sex, and essentially exiled from her family.

There's little here about the infamous murd
Deb
An absorbing insider look at what life with the Manson Family was like for Dianne Lake, its youngest member. Lake was just fourteen when she was introduced to Charles Manson, the eldest child of hippie parents who tuned in and out of society and mostly out of their parental responsibilities, she was ripe for Manson's manipulation. The details she provides about the group are fascinating and disturbing and it's such a unique perspective on Manson's charisma and control. The book spends a lot of t ...more
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
This was a very interesting story!! If you like true crime I'd highly recommend this book!!
Mary
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book--a happy ending for a Manson victim

Dianne Lake was 14 when she joined Charles Manson's Family. She was there because her mixed up parents decided they didn't have to take care of her anymore. That's why I say she's a victim.
You want to reach through the book and shake her mom and dad until their teeth rattle. What in hell were they thinking?!

But ultimately she's a victor. She got mental health help, testified against the murdering Charlie and his Family. She got an education, ma
Jo
When the author was 14 she became part of the cult surrounding Charles Manson who would become notorious for inciting his followers to murder. In this memoir, Lake recounts her life up to, including, and after her time with Manson. This is a very frank account and I found it fascinating to learn of Lake's life.
Matthew Brockmeyer
I've always been fascinated with the Manson Family. Not so much the murders, but the bizarre day to day life of living in their strange cult. So, I was very much looking forward to reading Diane "Snake" Lake's account. It did not disappoint. A must read for anyone who has an interest in the cult of Manson.
Christopher
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly welcome and valuable addition to the somewhat bloated stable of Manson literature, Dianne Lake's account of her troubled youth doesn't even mention Charlie until page 120. Introduced to drugs at a young age by her parents, who were themselves swept up into the itinerant bohemian orthodoxy of the Beats, Lake's open and self-critical memoir is not unlike a true-life corollary to Emma Cline's Girls, allowing readers to understand the social and psychological factors that would lead a ...more
Ilinca
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an interesting read. Not necessarily about how Dianne Lake herself (and many like her) joined Charles Manson's "Family". That, in itself, is rather predictable. He had the kind of charisma that worked on young people who were instinctively curious and open-minded, but not bright enough, or rather not educated enough, to properly structure their curiosity into something useful. He preyed on those without ties to the world, those who needed direction, those who were missing something "special ...more
Kimberly
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the unknown story behind the known story. The authors perspective of events is heartbreaking. At times you want to choke the life out of the adults in her life, ALL of them, because they were so selfish and just plain ignorant but she is more than a survivor, she is a conqueror. Her faith has truly worked miracles in her life. I'm glad she was able to have an incredible life after the fiasco that was her youth.
Ruth
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
An interesting and disturbing read of how Dianne Lake became a member of The Manson family.
It also reveals a lot about the times-The hippy culture,the drugs and sex. Dianne's own family sold their house and moved into a bread-van and her own parents introduced her to drugs.
This is a fascinating read of what life was like as a member of the family,how Charles Manson manipulated people and got them to follow his orders. He groomed the girls and they followed him without much question. Dianne's lif
Stevie Jo
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down. Definitely an enlightening yet disturbing look into the life of the 60s, and how strange unfortunate circumstances lead one girl into the black bus (and arms) of a sociopathic cult leader. Her story was well told and moving. Educating to say the least.

• Restless Souls: The Sharon Tate Family's Account of Stardom, the Manson Murders, and a Crusade for Justice
  • Portrait of a Monster: Joran van der Sloot, a Murder in Peru, and the Natalee Holloway Mystery
  • Jesus Freaks: A True Story of Murder and Madness on the Evangelical Edge
  • Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit
  • You All Grow Up and Leave Me: A Memoir of Teenage Obsession
  • The Hot One: A Memoir of Friendship, Sex, and Murder
  • John Wayne Gacy: Defending a Monster
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenage Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Room 1219: The Life of Fatty Arbuckle, the Mysterious Death of Virginia Rappe, and the Scandal That Changed Hollywood
“Memories fade, but trauma remembers. It is stored in your body, your senses, your synapses and cells.” 2 likes
“Young loves, your ego is what your parents made you. Your ego is what society taught you. Your ego is anything you acquired after your birth because at your birth you were a perfect person, no hang-ups just innocence. Now your ego is all the things that you fight against and are afraid of. But there is nothing to fear. You can free yourselves from this ego prison through love.” 0 likes