Start by marking “What Elephant?” as Want to Read:
What Elephant?

What Elephant?

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
George comes home one day to find an elephant watching TV and eating chocolate chip cookies in his living room. When he tells his friends, they say it's impossible: George must be seeing things. But the next day, and the day after that, his large and uninvited guest remains and makes itself even more at home -- with disastrous results. (Elephants should NEVER sit on couche ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Kids Can Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about What Elephant?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Elephant?

Ellen
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids, ages 3 and up
I'm fond of Côté's illustration style and charmed by this story. A young boy tries to convince his friends that an elephant has taken up residence in his house. Naturally, they're skeptical. The boy decides that the elephant must, indeed, be a figment of his imagination, and he sets about trying to ignore it. Not easy, since his new houseguest has made herself rather comfy. Gradually, the friends spot the elephant and each goes to great lengths to deny it. When a trainer from the circus arrives ...more
Alice
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2-75-stars
2.75 Stars Ho Hum! Thank Government of Ontario for financial support for this book...but maybe it should have been left unwritten. Maybe it was written in French and it is funnier in French because in English ...it is weird. Why didn't the George try to get the elephant out of his house? He just grinned and bore it. And talk about unsupported friends...who just don't believe his friend! The pictures are basic and boring, story was okay, but nothing thrilling...I will stop writing now...
Danni Green
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a sweet, inventive tale about what might happen if "the elephant in the room" were a literal elephant. Adorable!
Maria Garcia
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
George was horrified to see that an elephant had made its way into his house taking over her bed, eating his food, and reading his newspapers. When he tells his friend pip about the elephant in his house. Everyone including his best friend pip thinks George is crazy. After a week went by Pip realizes that George is not acting like himself and decides to go check up on him. When Pip walks into the George's house he is greeted by an elephant. Pip asks George about the elephant in the room, but Geo ...more
Esmoi
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it
This funny story deals with a theme similar to the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes." George and his friends ignore the existence and ridiculous behavior of an elephant that has moved into George's house, as each friend secretly worries the elephant is not real. My four year old was a little puzzled because he's not familiar with the concept of "going crazy" (so he didn't know why anybody would be reluctant to report elephant sightings in suburbia), but he really enjoyed the book anyhow.
Eli
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was quite clever and really enjoyed it. The reason, then, for the 4 stars instead of 5 is due to the ending. While I appreciate that Cote had limited options for resolving the story, the circus plot was a bit irksome. Elephants (and other animals) are severely abused in circuses and we do not plan to take our son to circuses that include animals. Thus, the romanticization of the trainer/elephant relationship did not sit well with me.
Janessa
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a story about an elephant getting out of the zoo and the boys friend just thought he was crazy because he said he had an elephant in his house. This could be a good book to use with lessons about trust, elephants, friends,invisible friends or imagination. This story would be great for a k-2 classroom.
Dolly
Aug 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a silly story in the same vein as "The Emperor's New Clothes." No one wants to admit that there's an elephant in George's house, until its trainer comes along and discovers where the elephant has run off to. It has fun illustrations and the absurd plot is perfect for schoolage children and their sense of humor.
Tam
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a silly book that my 4-year-old enjoyed. He loved it when the elephant slept on the boy's bed so the boy had to sleep on the couch. He thought it was funny when the boy woke up floating on water because the elephant was taking a shower. He loved when the elephant burped after eating cookies for breakfast!
Amy Wise
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I really liked this book. It's about a group of friends who don't want to talk about the elephant in the room, so they ignore it. It's a silly and poignant book that has many layers. It's enjoyable for kids and makes the adults think. I thought it was a fun read!
Samantha
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute book. I liked the illustration style, very different from illustrations in other books I've read. If you see an elephant, please say something! =)
Beth
I have no idea how Genevieve Cote thought of this whimsical, humorous tale, but it was a fun ride that I was sad to see end!
Gail
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I don't think my 3.5 year old appreciated the conceit of the book- about ignoring something big in the room so as not to appear stupid. Probably better for an older child.
Yvonne
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
Recommended to Yvonne by: Danni Green
You couldn't see an elephants in your living room, in your bed or taking a shower, because elephants don't live in houses or visit little boys. Oops, there's an elephant in the room!
Lesley
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, hilarious & a perfect book to invoke discussion with children (in this case, my grandchildren) about the perils of following the crowd, ignoring the obvious etc.
Rebecca
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
No one will talk about the (literal) elephant in the room! Kind of a twist on The Emperor's New Clothes.
Althea
Sep 25, 2008
Anthony
Apr 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Geneviève Côté is an award-winning Canadian illustrator living in Montreal, mainly known for her work on children's books.

She was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and received a bachelor's degree in graphic design from Concordia University in 1987. Côté has contributed illustrations to various publications including The New York Times, The Boston Globe, Utne Reader and The Wall Street Journal; he
More about Geneviève Côté