Start by marking “The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)

The Babysitters Coven

(The Babysitters Coven #1)

Adventures in Babysitting meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer in this funny, action-packed novel about a coven of witchy babysitters who realize their calling to protect the innocent and save the world from an onslaught of evil.

Seventeen-year-old Esme Pearl has a babysitters club. She knows it's kinda lame, but what else is she supposed to do? Get a job? Gross.
Published September 17th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Babysitters Coven, please sign up.
Crystal Zavala Yes. However there was a least one mention of a "boner" and a boy looking a boob gifs. Those mentions were early on and then it was pretty clean.

Start your review of The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
megs_bookrack
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
We all know babysitting comes with a lot of responsibility. You are literally accountable for maintaining the health and wellness of little humans.

But did you know that some babysitters are responsible for so much more than that?

Like protecting the entire Earth from evil forces?

It's true, but when Esme Pearl formed her Babysitters Club, she didn't know that. Unfortunately for Esme, she had to find out the hard way.

I feel weird sort of giving that away but it's nothing you won't read in the
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

THE BABYSITTERS COVEN is one of those books that I was hotly anticipating for fall. The tongue-in-cheek title and gorgeous cover made me feel so hopeful that what I was going to get was going to be a cross between my childhood favorite, The Babysitters Club, with a dash of The Craft, and a heavy dollop of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I didn't get that, and maybe part of that is on me for having unrealistically high
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Universe, I don't know what I did to deserve all of these gorgeous witchy books lately, but thank you.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Irena
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The Babysitters Coven was my first pick to read during spookathon. I received this book during September, but wanted to save it for that readathon.
In the end, I suffered from major reading slump and this novel ended up being the only book I finished that week.
However, when I look objectively, this book was pretty fun and enjoyable, I just wish I read it when I was in a better place.

This paranormal young adult was pitched as Buffy meets The Babysitters Club. Therefore, I assumed there would be
Ashley Nuckles
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a cute book! Esme had a great voice and was really funny! While the story had bits of a “been there done that” sort of story, I still enjoyed it! :)
alana ♡
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I'm still on the fence between 2.5 and 3 stars for this one.

I really enjoyed the writing and how easy it was to fly through this one. The characters worked pretty well in the story and I spent a good amount of time laughing at Esme's embarrassing moments.

I think my biggest issue with this one is that I may have overhyped myself for it. I mean, The Babysitter's Club meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer is going to catch anyone's attention who grew up in the 90's. Now add witches to the mix and I was
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Feb 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one (sorry)
A quick note before we dive in: as a reviewer, I strive to be critical yet respectful because I know how much work goes into writing a book. I prescribe to the belief that no two readers read the same book and I make an effort to highlight positives about the book, be clear about the reasons why I didn’t enjeoy it, and to the extent possible share who may enjoy it. I originally was going to rate this 2 stars, but after sorting through my feelings and writing my review I realized I personally
Amy Imogene Reads

Buffy the Vampire Slayers + The Babysitters Club + 2019 humor. This was cute and funny, but I wasn't the right audience.

Concept:
Aesthetic:
Plot: 1/2
Age range: the young end of YA

The Babysitters Coven is a FUN read. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and makes the comparison to its own roots as the 2019 lovechild of Buffy and The Babysitters Club.

Esme Pearl is a high school student with a passion for quirky fashion and a love of babysitting. She started a babysitting hotline with
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
The Babysitters Coven was cute, funny, and snarky. I loved the first half (5 stars) and liked the second half (3 stars). I feel like The Sitters and how they came to be, all their history, how each was chosen, etc. wasn't explained well enough. I want to know more!

I will happily average both together and give it 4 stars. Can't wait to read the next installment!
Rebecca McNutt
The Babysitters Coven was a fun book, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and it presents a really interesting premise reminiscent of something straight out of the 1990's, in a good, nostalgic sort of way while still being a relevant and modern story. Esme was a great main character; not only does she prove that witchcraft doesn't have to be contained to antagonism and evil in fiction, but also that responsibility and friendship are important. She's a pretty decent role model for YA readers, ...more
Candace Robinson
This one has probably one of my favorite covers of the year. It had a lot of fun things going on, just wish there had been a little more on the romance side of things.
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
3/5

Thank you so much to Penguin Random House International for providing me with an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

This book was a fun read. I wanted to keep it for this end of October because it was giving me all the Halloween vibes, and it delivered. I've read on several reviews people compare it to Buffy, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and The Babysitters Club and I can only agree with all of them. It even mentions them and makes fun of itself because of the similar
Julie Zantopoulos
I have to go ahead and DNF this one. The premise was interesting but the execution is...rough.

Give me a babysitters club with spooky aspects and I'm all in. Give me a girl with SURPRISE telekinesis and a strange friend who can summon fire, a secret society, and spells that require tic tacs and receipts...and I'm kinda out. The plot got really strange, super unrooted in anything that made sense and the young kids were making references that were super dated but then called more current things
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I thought that this was a fun book! I really didn't know too much about the book when I picked it up but I just couldn't seem to look away from that gorgeous cover. Once I picked it up and started reading, I was completely sold. This book did a lot of things really well and made for a very entertaining read. I am so glad that I decided to give this book a try.

Esme and her best friend Janis are members (the only members) of a
Catie
This was a challenge to get through. I think that I really wanted more twisty, paranormal mystery and a lot less fluffy, bland babysitting. The main character is 17, but reads like she's 12.
Melanie (mells_view)
I’d like to start this off by saying that I did not realize that this was going to be a series, so I figured I’d let anyone who reads this review know that

The Babysitter’s Coven is a good read. It reads like the author is taking some of the most popular 90’s female led shows/movies, and mushing the storyline/characters into one love child baby book. At times it works, and at times it feels like there is a bit too much focus on how alike this story is to one show in particular. That being said
✨Brithanie Faith✨
3.5/5 stars .5

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Babysitters Coven by Kate Williams follows seventeen-year-old Esme Pearl as she navigates her way though high-school, babysitting, new friendships, and the discovery that being a babysitter (or Sitter) means a lot more than changing dirty diapers. The Sitter's are young women of magical lineage who must protect the innocent- and do so all before the parents come home.

There was something about The Babysitters
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty fun read with great writing, creative ideas, effortless humor and hints of fashion Williams is ana amazing writer and I can’t wait for the next adventure.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Just look at the cover of this book—it says it all! Pink with a dash of witchy glamour.

This is a witty, modern mashup of all the best dramatic and best friend elements of The Babysitter’s Club series, the black humor and witchery of The Coven, and the crime-fighting badassery of Buffy. If you loved My Best Friend's Exorcism, this book should be added to your TBR immediately, if not sooner (as my high school English teacher was wont to say).

I loved every page. Williams’s writing is so relatable
Celia McMahon
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Delacorte Press and NetGalley for the chance to review this title ahead of its release date.

Wow. This book was just what I needed. Witty writing, with a magical plot-line and a protagonist you can cheer for to the very end. I just came off reading a highly disappointing anticipated read, and I have to be honest, my hope in books plummeted a bit. But thanks to this delightful, witchy read, hope has been renewed.

What's it about?

Esme is a seventeen-year-old babysitter from a
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
4.0 Stars
This was an incredibly fun, not-too-serious paranormal urban fantasy. The tone was of story is a bit satirical with just the right amount of humour to keep me thoroughly entertained. This was definitely not scary, but I am still tempted recommend this to horror readers since it played on the classic tropes of genre, referencing babysitter horror movies like Halloween. The book really is “The Babysitters Club meets Buffy”, which made it so much fun to read. It was very reminiscent of
Emily
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Demons. Monsters. Nightmares. Evil."

The Babysitters Coven was such a fun read! I adore the idea of this book. I love The Baby-Sitters Club books, and I appreciate this book even more for acknowledging them.

It was such a fun read, and I was really entertained while reading. My only complaint was that the witchy parts were a little too spread out for my liking. I wish there would have been a little more, and sometimes it felt like the contemporary parts lasted for a long time in between. It was
jessica ☾
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: beautiful-covers
This started off really strong for me, but immediately fizzled out after that. And everyone in this book just seemed like they were trying too hard. I do absolutely love the cover and so wish I’d gotten around to reading this before Halloween!

It’s also the first book I’ve ever read that used the word ‘woke’ and I’m honestly not sure how to feel about that lol.
Jen Ryland
This had an irresistible (for me) premise and a lot of cute stuff going for it. I really did loved Esme as a character and this story had a lot of fun (and funny) aspects.

However, this wasn't the exciting paranormal story I was hoping for. I felt the pacing was way off. Not much happened for so much of the book that I contemplated DNFing several times. There's a lot of going to school and putting together wacky outfits and not nearly enough witchy thrills and chills. All the action and
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions in my review are my own.

This book was such a joy to read. It is very different from much of the YA fantasy that I usually read. It reads like a mashup of The Babysitters Club and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, two things that have had a special place in my heart at one point or another in my life. I truly loved the originality behind the premise.

Esme is just the smart and quirky lead character that you
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I won't be rating this since I didn't finish it, but what a huge disappointment. It was about to throw me into a slump, so I had to stop.

The character tried too hard to be a cross between Cher from Clueless and Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it fell flat. Every now and then I smiled at a reference but most of the time it made no sense why this character was even making those references.

OMG, the outfits - I CAN'T! Look I loved Clueless, I've seen it more times than I can count and I
Taylor
2.5 out of 5 Stars.

This one hurts, y'all, because I mean just look at that cover. Look at that synopsis. Look at my heart breaking that this didn't deliver like I wanted it to!

Although this witchy novel didn't work for me (for a variety of reasons I'll outline in a full, fleshed out review soon), it is a book I believe would probably work well for a younger crowd. Or ones that aren't familiar with the Buffyverse. For the most part it's just a case of "it's me, not the book."

Stay tuned for my
Samantha Colwell
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Alright, you got me. I didn’t realize that Kate Williams was writing a book just to prank me and all my 1990’s sisters, but here it is. So I hear you watched The Craft, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the original Babysitters Club growing up? Let’s just throw all that shit together into a tongue-in-cheek smoothie, and out pops The Babysitters Coven.

This book is wild. I had no idea what I was getting into when I started it, and I’m not sure what I read after I finished it. I think I liked it. In
amanda
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was really excited for more witchy ya books but this just wasn’t what I expected in any way and it ended up being really disappointing.

The writing is clunky and yes, I know this is a paranormal/fantasy, but it was super unbelievable at times and made me cringe with the exaggerated slang.

The premise is that Esme has powers and meets a new girl at school who shocker ALSO has powers. They find out they both come from a long line of “sitters” and have to save the world.

It’s cute in a way and
andrea caro
Not what I wanted it to be, sigh. RTC.

• These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Rebel Girls
  • Wilder Girls
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • The Grace Year
  • His Hideous Heart
I'm a YA write or die, originally from Kansas but now living in California.

I've written for Cosmopolitan, NYLON and Seventeen, amongst other magazines, and worked with brands including Urban Outfitters, Vans and Calvin Klein.

The Babysitters Coven is my first novel, but fingers crossed it won't be my last.

The Babysitters Coven (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Babysitters Coven, #2)
“One might even have said that I was a connoisseur of the bus, if one used words like “connoisseur” for a thing that had no air-conditioning or heat and often smelled like pee and Fritos.” 0 likes