Start by marking “The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)

The Babysitters Coven

(The Babysitters Coven #1)

Adventures in Babysitting meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer in this funny, action-packed novel about a coven of witchy babysitters who realize their calling to protect the innocent and save the world from an onslaught of evil.

Seventeen-year-old Esme Pearl has a babysitters club. She knows it's kinda lame, but what else is she supposed to do? Get
Published September 17th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Babysitters Coven, please sign up.
Crystal Zavala Yes. However there was a least one mention of a "boner" and a boy looking a boob gifs. Those mentions were early on and then it was pretty clean.

Start your review of The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
megs_bookrack
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
Babysitting comes with a lot of responsibility. One should never take it lightly.

As a Sitter, you're literally accountable for maintaining the health and wellness of the little humans left in your care.

But did you know that some Sitters are responsible for much more than that?

Like protecting the entire Earth from evil?

It's true, but when Esme Pearl formed her Babysitters Club, she didn't know either.

Unfortunately for Esme, she had to find out the hard way.

Part Buffy the Vampire Slayer, part B
Nenia ✨️ The Trash Empress ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

THE BABYSITTERS COVEN is one of those books that I was hotly anticipating for fall. The tongue-in-cheek title and gorgeous cover made me feel so hopeful that what I was going to get was going to be a cross between my childhood favorite, The Babysitters Club, with a dash of The Craft, and a heavy dollop of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I didn't get that, and maybe part of that is on me for having unrealistically hi
Irena BookDustMagic
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The Babysitters Coven was my first pick to read during spookathon. I received this book during September, but wanted to save it for that readathon.
In the end, I suffered from major reading slump and this novel ended up being the only book I finished that week.
However, when I look objectively, this book was pretty fun and enjoyable, I just wish I read it when I was in a better place.

This paranormal young adult was pitched as Buffy meets The Babysitters Club. Therefore, I assumed there would be va
Ashley Nuckles
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a cute book! Esme had a great voice and was really funny! While the story had bits of a “been there done that” sort of story, I still enjoyed it! :)
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Feb 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one (sorry)
A quick note before we dive in: as a reviewer, I strive to be critical yet respectful because I know how much work goes into writing a book. I prescribe to the belief that no two readers read the same book and I make an effort to highlight positives about the book, be clear about the reasons why I didn’t enjeoy it, and to the extent possible share who may enjoy it. I originally was going to rate this 2 stars, but after sorting through my feelings and writing my review I realized I personally ca
alana ♡
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I'm still on the fence between 2.5 and 3 stars for this one.

I really enjoyed the writing and how easy it was to fly through this one. The characters worked pretty well in the story and I spent a good amount of time laughing at Esme's embarrassing moments.

I think my biggest issue with this one is that I may have overhyped myself for it. I mean, The Babysitter's Club meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer is going to catch anyone's attention who grew up in the 90's. Now add witches to the mix and I was
Amy Imogene Reads

Buffy the Vampire Slayers + The Babysitters Club + 2019 humor. This was cute and funny, but I wasn't the right audience.

Concept: ★★★★
Aesthetic: ★★★★
Plot: ★★ 1/2
Age range: the young end of YA

The Babysitters Coven is a FUN read. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and makes the comparison to its own roots as the 2019 lovechild of Buffy and The Babysitters Club.

Esme Pearl is a high school student with a passion for quirky fashion and a love of babysitting. She started a babysitting hot
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
The Babysitters Coven was cute, funny, and snarky. I loved the first half (5 stars) and liked the second half (3 stars). I feel like The Sitters and how they came to be, all their history, how each was chosen, etc. wasn't explained well enough. I want to know more!

I will happily average both together and give it 4 stars. Can't wait to read the next installment!
Rebecca McNutt
The Babysitters Coven was a fun book, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and it presents a really interesting premise reminiscent of something straight out of the 1990's, in a good, nostalgic sort of way while still being a relevant and modern story. Esme was a great main character; not only does she prove that witchcraft doesn't have to be contained to antagonism and evil in fiction, but also that responsibility and friendship are important. She's a pretty decent role model for YA readers, r ...more
Candace Robinson
This one has probably one of my favorite covers of the year. It had a lot of fun things going on, just wish there had been a little more on the romance side of things.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I thought that this was a fun book! I really didn't know too much about the book when I picked it up but I just couldn't seem to look away from that gorgeous cover. Once I picked it up and started reading, I was completely sold. This book did a lot of things really well and made for a very entertaining read. I am so glad that I decided to give this book a try.

Esme and her best friend Janis are members (the only members) of a babysitt
Julie Zantopoulos
I have to go ahead and DNF this one. The premise was interesting but the execution is...rough.

Give me a babysitters club with spooky aspects and I'm all in. Give me a girl with SURPRISE telekinesis and a strange friend who can summon fire, a secret society, and spells that require tic tacs and receipts...and I'm kinda out. The plot got really strange, super unrooted in anything that made sense and the young kids were making references that were super dated but then called more current things "ne
Catie
This was a challenge to get through. I think that I really wanted more twisty, paranormal mystery and a lot less fluffy, bland babysitting. The main character is 17, but reads like she's 12.
Lea | That_Bookdragon
3/5 ⭐️

Thank you so much to Penguin Random House International for providing me with an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

This book was a fun read. I wanted to keep it for this end of October because it was giving me all the Halloween vibes, and it delivered. I've read on several reviews people compare it to Buffy, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and The Babysitters Club and I can only agree with all of them. It even mentions them and makes fun of itself because of the simil
Melanie (mells_view)
I’d like to start this off by saying that I did not realize that this was going to be a series, so I figured I’d let anyone who reads this review know that 😂

The Babysitter’s Coven is a good read. It reads like the author is taking some of the most popular 90’s female led shows/movies, and mushing the storyline/characters into one love child baby book. At times it works, and at times it feels like there is a bit too much focus on how alike this story is to one show in particular. That being said
Taylor
Thank you so much to Delacorte Press for providing an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

2.5 out of 5 Stars.

This one hurts, y'all, because I mean just look at that cover. Look at that synopsis. Look at my heart breaking that this didn't deliver like I wanted it to!

Although this witchy novel didn't work for me (for a variety of reasons I'll outline in a full, fleshed out review soon), it is a book I believe would probably work well for a younger crowd. Or ones that aren't familiar
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty fun read with great writing, creative ideas, effortless humor and hints of fashion Williams is ana amazing writer and I can’t wait for the next adventure.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Just look at the cover of this book—it says it all! Pink with a dash of witchy glamour.

This is a witty, modern mashup of all the best dramatic and best friend elements of The Babysitter’s Club series, the black humor and witchery of The Coven, and the crime-fighting badassery of Buffy. If you loved My Best Friend's Exorcism, this book should be added to your TBR immediately, if not sooner (as my high school English teacher was wont to say).

I loved every page. Williams’s writing is so relatable
✨Brithanie Faith✨
3.5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐.5

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Babysitters Coven by Kate Williams follows seventeen-year-old Esme Pearl as she navigates her way though high-school, babysitting, new friendships, and the discovery that being a babysitter (or Sitter) means a lot more than changing dirty diapers. The Sitter's are young women of magical lineage who must protect the innocent- and do so all before the parents come home.

There was something about The Babysitters C
Lucy Tonks
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-on-ebook
If you're looking for a positive review, you're not going to find it here, sorry.

So let's start from the beginning. I wasn't the biggest fan of the characters. Esme, our main character was literally judging everyone on every freaking page! It made it extremely annoying for me to read from her perspective. Also it wasn't like she was perfect. First of all she was extremely naive, like way too naive. She made so many stupid mistakes. I rolled my eyes so many times in this book that I lost count.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
4.0 Stars
This was an incredibly fun, not-too-serious paranormal urban fantasy. The tone was of story is a bit satirical with just the right amount of humour to keep me thoroughly entertained. This was definitely not scary, but I am still tempted recommend this to horror readers since it played on the classic tropes of genre, referencing babysitter horror movies like Halloween. The book really is “The Babysitters Club meets Buffy”, which made it so much fun to read. It was very reminiscent of man
Celia McMahon
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Delacorte Press and NetGalley for the chance to review this title ahead of its release date.

Wow. This book was just what I needed. Witty writing, with a magical plot-line and a protagonist you can cheer for to the very end. I just came off reading a highly disappointing anticipated read, and I have to be honest, my hope in books plummeted a bit. But thanks to this delightful, witchy read, hope has been renewed.

What's it about?

Esme is a seventeen-year-old babysitter from a complica
jessica ☾
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: beautiful-covers
This started off really strong for me, but immediately fizzled out after that. And everyone in this book just seemed like they were trying too hard. I do absolutely love the cover and so wish I’d gotten around to reading this before Halloween!

It’s also the first book I’ve ever read that used the word ‘woke’ and I’m honestly not sure how to feel about that lol.
amanda
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was really excited for more witchy ya books but this just wasn’t what I expected in any way and it ended up being really disappointing.

The writing is clunky and yes, I know this is a paranormal/fantasy, but it was super unbelievable at times and made me cringe with the exaggerated slang.

The premise is that Esme has powers and meets a new girl at school who shocker ALSO has powers. They find out they both come from a long line of “sitters” and have to save the world.

It’s cute in a way and remi
Emily
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Demons. Monsters. Nightmares. Evil."

The Babysitters Coven was such a fun read! I adore the idea of this book. I love The Baby-Sitters Club books, and I appreciate this book even more for acknowledging them.

It was such a fun read, and I was really entertained while reading. My only complaint was that the witchy parts were a little too spread out for my liking. I wish there would have been a little more, and sometimes it felt like the contemporary parts lasted for a long time in between. It was
Eilonwy
Jun 01, 2020 added it
Shelves: my-rare-dnf
This just never really grabbed me, and I finally took it back to the library. It's not fair to try to review what I didn't like about it since I only got about 100 pages in. Let's just say that nothing about it made sense, and when I looked at other GR reviews, I decided it probably wasn't ever going to make any sense. So sorry book, because the idea for you seemed so good!
Jen Ryland
This had an irresistible (for me) premise and a lot of cute stuff going for it. I really did loved Esme as a character and this story had a lot of fun (and funny) aspects.

However, this wasn't the exciting paranormal story I was hoping for. I felt the pacing was way off. Not much happened for so much of the book that I contemplated DNFing several times. There's a lot of going to school and putting together wacky outfits and not nearly enough witchy thrills and chills. All the action and paranorm
andrea caro
Not what I wanted it to be, sigh. RTC.
Linaria
Jul 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I want the time I spent reading this back.
Samantha Colwell
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Alright, you got me. I didn’t realize that Kate Williams was writing a book just to prank me and all my 1990’s sisters, but here it is. So I hear you watched The Craft, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the original Babysitters Club growing up? Let’s just throw all that shit together into a tongue-in-cheek smoothie, and out pops The Babysitters Coven.

This book is wild. I had no idea what I was getting into when I started it, and I’m not sure what I read after I finished it. I think I liked it. In fac

• These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • This Coven Won't Break (These Witches Don't Burn, #2)
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • Scared Little Rabbits
  • Let's Call It a Doomsday
  • The Stars and the Blackness Between Them
  • Hello Girls
  • Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
  • Verona Comics
I'm a YA write or die, originally from Kansas but now living in California.

I've written for Cosmopolitan, NYLON and Seventeen, amongst other magazines, and worked with brands including Urban Outfitters, Vans and Calvin Klein.

The Babysitters Coven is my first novel, but fingers crossed it won't be my last.

The Babysitters Coven (3 books)
  • For Better or Cursed (The Babysitters Coven, #2)
  • Untitled (The Babysitters Coven, #3)

News & Interviews

“One might even have said that I was a connoisseur of the bus, if one used words like “connoisseur” for a thing that had no air-conditioning or heat and often smelled like pee and Fritos.” 2 likes
“It was as grim a social scene as I’d ever encountered, and I missed everything I’d left behind at home. I wondered what my nail polish collection was doing right now.” 0 likes