Start by marking “"Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth” as Want to Read:
"Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth

"Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth

Slowly, slowly, slowly. That's the way the sloth moves. Slowly, it eats and then, slowly, it falls asleep.

"What strange kind of creature is this?" the other animals wonder, "Why doesn't it run or fly or play or hunt like the rest of us?"
"Why are you so slow??" the howler monkey inquires.
But the sloth doesn't answer any questions until the jaguar asks, "Why are you so
Published May 10th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth

Start your review of "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth
Hilary
A sloth hangs from a tree and does everything slowly. Animals pass by and wonder why he is so slow, that's just the way he is! A nice story about how everyone is different and that's okay!

Read on open library.
L.E. Fidler
this book drops the word "lackadaisical"

'nough said.
Sarah Sammis
Nov 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
The strange slow creatures of the rainforest have in recent years become cute characters for children. There's Snook from It's a Big, Big, World on PBS and the title character of Eric Carle's "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth.

Eric Carle's book has a foreword by Jane Goodall. In it she talks about her love for the unusual creatures and gives some basic facts about them. There are two species: two-toed and three-toed. They can rotate their heads 270 degrees. They sleep between fifteen and
Shawn Deal
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Here is a story about a the slow and steady sloth. He is misunderstood by his fellow animals and goes on to explain himself. There is a good lesson here for kids who can understand it.
Leah Smith
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pgce
I am using this as part of a sequence of lessons on writing non-chronological reports. After reading the text as a class, the children rewrite the text and add facts about sloths that they have found from their own research using non-fiction books and websites.
Cosette
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I may need to read this again. Every night. Effective results.
Isobel
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Slowly slowly” said the sloth is a simple book but it is a good book for children because it is repetitive and it uses speech.

The illustrations in the book are beautiful, detailed, colourful and textured. Some of the illustrations look like a collage because of the illustrations are tightly paced together.

The book would be good for teaching children geography because the teacher could use the book to teach the children about the Amazon rainforest, the children could realise from the book what
Sue Read
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The first four pages of this book start with the words 'slowly, slowly, slowly...', by which time both the reader and the listener have slowed down! This is a good thing as there are colourful double pages to enjoy and linger over, animals to discuss and find out about and a glorious reply from the sloth to decipher. It is full of interesting vocabulary, the sort that comes to mind when you do, indeed, have plenty of time!
Marianne
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exceptionally beautiful. And it was a lot of fun to read aloud in my slow sloth voice. Very soothing.
Amelia
Anyone who's ever read The Very Hungry Caterpillar will recognise the illustrations in Slowly. There's something really quite lovely about them. The story is repetitive (the sloth hangs all day and he hangs all night and each animal asks him why) which, while dull as an adult, actually suits the young child that the book is aimed at. The overall message of the book is rather nice - it appeals to that call for a better, calmer and more zen life. The sloth says:

"It is true that I am slow, quiet
And
Tania Degale
"Slowly, slowly, slowly", Said The Sloth, is a lovely story about a sloth in the Amazon. This book introduces children to unfamiliar exotic animals that they may not have encountered yet. As the Sloth goes on his journey through the Amazon, the other animals ask him questions like "why are you so slow?", "why are you so lazy?". This book gives you the opportunity to teach young children about asking questions. There is also a lot of repetition in this book which helps children to remember and ...more
Meghan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite sloth book, but used it as emergency back up when my sloth themed storytime had a younger group than I expected. Was fairly well received, and of course, the illustrations were beautiful! Eric Carle saved the day!
Dianna
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The sloth moves slowly and hangs from his tree and sleeps all day. The other animals ask him why he's so slow, lazy, boring, etc., and he finally gets a chance to explain on the last page. I think this is a great book to help kids see that everyone's different and that's okay.
Erin Dunleavy
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exam-2
This book was one that I didn’t even know existed. I know that Eric Carle has many books, but I didn’t know this one was popular, but it won the Parent’s Choice award in 2002. The style of this book is collage, which is a common theme found in a lot of Eric Carle books. The pages look like they were put together by gluing things on them, but they are 2D. The style of this book is cartoon which is another popular theme found in his books. On every single page, it shows the sloth hanging in the ...more
Brooke Loewen
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I remember being introduced to this book in first-grade by the teacher, Mrs. Kane, and I loved it then and I still love it now! I love the message that is entangled in this book by Carle. Once again he proves what a talented author he is by creating a book that encourages us all to slow down in life and enjoy living. I think in my adult years I appreciate this book more so because I find myself always in a rush to get to the next place or move onto the next task, and I never find myself truly ...more
Destiny Connors
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth is about a sloth who does every slowly. He crawls, eats, falls asleep, wakes up, and hangs down from the tree slowly. Several animals in the rainforest question the sloth and want to know why he is slow, quiet, boring, and lazy. Eventually, the sloth sticks up for himself. He states that he enjoys being relaxed and tranquil - that is the way a sloth is.

The overall theme of "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly," said the Sloth is acceptance and being confident in
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, gift, read-2017
I am flattered that several people have thought it appropriate to give picture books to an adult, because they can in my opinion be some of the finest literature there is. Eric Carle of course is especially famous and deservedly so for The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and the art is always appealing but occasionally his words hit a bit of a bum note for me. "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly" Said the Sloth is one of the good ones.

If you don't slow down and take time over this, you'll miss the pleasure of the
Thabata
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
At first sight I thought “could this book be more adorable?” Yes, it can. Sloths are the cutest thing ever. With their droopy sleepy eyes and their slow movements, it is hard not to win our hearts. In this book, slowly the sloth goes about its business. While the wild is booming around, it takes its time and it is content. Be it eating, going to sleep, waking up or hanging upside down in the tree – always slowly, slowly, slowly the Sloth goes. Quiet, placid, mellow and calm, laid back, relaxed ...more
H
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Daniel Thompson
I remember reading this book as a young child and loving it. I can know see as a young adult why I enjoyed this book. This book has colorful illustrations and the text isn't too challenging that a young reader would get upset while reading this book. Many young children also love animals and that is what this whole story is based upon. I love that the main character is a sloth because this is unusual and that would be something for young readers to think about. They could research about sloths ...more
Tara Gibbons
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I personally loved this story. It just essentially shows that individuals should not judge others on how they are when, for example with this story, Sloth's are known for being slow and lazy. The language particularly used at the end could be used for exploration of what the words mean and to bring it together on how they are all terms that could be linked. The animals used throughout are also not animals that children may know and this could also be further explored.

It's just an incredibly
Calista
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-and-ya
Usually I am a fan of Eric Carle's work. His writing and illustrations are great for kids. I found 'Slowly, Slowly, Slowly...' a bit different. The story about why the sloth is so slow starts off really well, with a host of other animals expressing their frustration at his pace. However, at the end the story changes pace and it was tricky to read. My little one and I read this multiple times, and the ending felt out of place.
Ana LibrariAna
Pair it up with a non-fiction book "A Little Book of Sloth" by Lucy Cooke and you will have a great lesson with the young ones about sloths and other animals.

The video interviewing Eric Carle about this book is pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbM5V.... Eric Carle is talking about what inspired him and gave him an idea for this book. My favourite part was when he said we should all sometimes be like sloths and sloooow doooownnnn.
Wayne Farmer
My 5 month old loved this story! Every time we said Slowly, slowly, slowly he gave a little chuckle. I liked that there were a lot of different animals and the sloth's speech at the end contained a lot of different words that you probably wouldn't usually use all that often with a small child so hopefully it helps to widen his vocabulary. The slowly, slowly, slowly even worked in calming him down for bed later when he was over tired!
Brianna
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 401
As a shared reading this may be a little challenging to set up, but it certainly can be done. It can be used for using picture tools in combination with letter cues to discover what will be said outside of the repeating parts. Aside from the text decoding strategies it could be used to model it also gives personification. The sloth is slow because he is a sloth, but he has feelings and voices those feelings as a human would.
Rachael
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-literature
I liked most of this book. The very end, when the sloth answers the questions of the other animals, the author introduces a lot of vocabulary words. A. LOT. of vocabulary words. It was too much. I cannot imagine trying to explain all of those words to a group of young children. The rest of the book, and the artwork, were great.
Christina
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This book will appeal to young animal lovers, as it’s strength is depicting a variety of animals that live in the Amazon rain forest. Will also appeal to kids who love to dawdle.

There’s a foreword by Jane Goodall, and I think kids will enjoy spotting all the different animals, and discovering some that are new to them.
Rachael Scott
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like all other Eric Carle books, the pictures are amazing! I love that this book talked a little bit about how the animals are different, and that's ok. The end of the story introduced a ton of vocabulary words which is a mixed bag. The story makes sense, even if the kids don't understand all of the new words. It's a great book.
Tina Sorensen
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book a few times, I decided to put more excitement into it. I read slowly s - l - o - w - l - y etc. It was just what my little one needed. The book became so funny - I had to keep reading it over and over. She was delighted and it made it easier for her to understand concepts that were new to her.
Anthony
An informative look at the slow, quiet, boring, lackadaisical, unflappable sloth, who is relaxed, and tranquil and who likes to live in peace among other inhabitants of the Amazon rain forest. This book also contains a forward written by Jane Goodall that reveals more of the sloth's more interesting features.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mr. Tiger Goes Wild
  • Peck, Peck, Peck
  • Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?
  • Tree: A Peek-Through Picture Book
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • Jump!
  • Cyril and Pat
  • Beegu
  • A Busy Creature's Day Eating!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Click, Clack, Moo I Love You!
  • Misunderstood Shark
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • The Book Hog
  • Home in the Woods
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • There's a Dragon in Your Book
  • Nobody Hugs a Cactus
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more