Start by marking “Astrid the Unstoppable” as Want to Read:
Astrid the Unstoppable

Astrid the Unstoppable

A modern classic in the making, this hilarious and heartwarming story explores the true meaning of family and friendship, and will delight fans of Pippi Longstocking.

Speed and self-confidence, that's Astrid Glimmerdal's motto. And her hair-raising escapades give her plenty of opportunity to practise both. Nicknamed "the little thunderbolt", Astrid loves to spend her days r

Published November 13th 2018 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Astrid the Unstoppable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astrid the Unstoppable

Start your review of Astrid the Unstoppable
Marie the Librarian
URGH THIS BOOK. IT HIT ME RIGHT IN THE FEELS. Such an enchanting book written in a very beautiful way that made me shed a tear once or twice. TONJE <3
Katie Fitzgerald
In this new middle grade novel by Norwegian author Maria Parr (Adventures with Waffles, 2015) Astrid is the only child living in her village of Glimmerdal, and as a result her best friend is an elderly man named Gunnvald. Astrid, who is known in her community as "the little thunderbolt" has very strong emotions as well as a tendency to be a bit of a daredevil which frequently gets her into trouble. Astrid has always wanted the excitement of newcomers in town, especially kids, but when some stran ...more
stefiereads
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
WAY BETTER THAN EXPECTED.

I must admit that I wasn't sure to read this book. But desperate for getting out of reading slump, I tried reading a lot of books and this book is a blessing from heaven. HA!
I heard about this book for quite a while now, but was hesitate to read it as it's a good feeling kind of book. It is a light and sweet book, which sometimes can be boring.
BUT MY OH MY this book. It is a good feeling book, it is a heartwarming and moving and sweet and funny and adorable and just oh
Zoe
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh goodness me, this book is GLORIOUS. I've just finished it, and all I really want to do is rush around finding people I could read it to. It's like the best, warmest, most joyous hug, full of laughter and wisdom and yet it's also a long time since I read a book that made me cry so much. It's full of music and love and unspoken emotions that struggle to work themselves out, and also reassurance and hope and kindness. Yes, in some ways it's like a 21st century version of some of Astrid Lindgren' ...more
Kateryna
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful middle grade novel about Astrid, a spunky 9-year-old, who lives in a small mountain village in Norway. She spends her days skiing, sledding, singing loudly and spending time with her elderly best friend, Gunnvald. I like Astrid, she is a realistic child character - smart for her age, but also makes mistakes like any other kid. There is a huge amount of heart in this book, and the ending is extremely heartwarming. All in all, a fun book filled with love, friendship and family ...more
Edel Malene
wow :((((!! go off i guess i was skeptical but then....... i cried a lot honey... very cute
Heather Moore
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lex-me-2021
Read aloud with my 13 year old. Astrid is my hero. She wears her heart on her sleeve and loves a good adventure. This story has all the elements of a fantastic read aloud and put us on the hunt for lovely fiddle music to boot. Five stars from the both of us, and we’ve vowed to continue to read all the books that Maria Parr writes.
Literary Redhead
“Astrid the Unstoppable” by Maria Parr is a delightful tale about “the little thunderbolt” Astrid, who loves to speed down hillsides on her sled, sing as loudly as possible, and visit her septuagenarian godfather, who makes her hot chocolate from real chocolate bars. Described as Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley, Astrid is a character you will fall in love with as you follow the exploits of this spirited Norwegian mountain girl who navigates village life and unexpected change wi ...more
Faith Hough
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a review for Astrid the Unstoppable mentioned Anne of Green Gables and Pippi Longstocking in the same sentence, you'd better believe I snapped this up like a kid at Christmas. My final judgement: Astrid is far more Pippi than Anne. For the first half of the book, one wild romp leads to the next, and the emotional story takes a supporting role. But when that B Story hits...boy, does it hit. Maria Parr tackles some hefty emotional topics without losing the fun and whimsy of the first half.
I h
DaNae
This is everything I love in a book. So many tears, some of anger, grief, joy and full out mirth.
Jenny
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the setting and the characters in this book. Astrid is a feisty, opinionated, brave little girl whose best friend is 74 year old Gunnvald. Astrid is nicknamed the "little thunderbolt". But when she learns that Gunnvald has a daughter named Heidi that Astrid never knew about and that Gunnvald hasn't spoken to in years, she is angry and heartbroken and confused. Why didn't anyone ever tell her? Why hasn't Gunnvald talked to his daughter? What will happen when the very angry Heidi sells Gunnva ...more
Sandy Brehl
This is a translation from the original Norwegian, and I sing the praises of the original writer AND the translator! What a wonder Astrid is, and what a wonderous world of family, friends, and physical environment surround her. Seriously, this young girl and those in her life (including the mountains and seasons and waters and weirdness) thundered into my life and will stay with me forever.
From individual scenes and episodes to the encompassing story and eventual resolution, I was enthralled, w
Heidi Burkhart
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Translated from Norwegian, this children's chapter book is absolutely fabulous! Whether read aloud to a classroom, or read on one's own, it is easy to fall in love with the delightful and very lively Astrid right from the start. Her many adventures and love for the friends and family around her make her even more enduring. I won't say anymore, though there are many adventures to discover.

One of the best chapter books for kids in the decade! I can't wait for more and more from Parr.
Stefan Hull
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be 3.5 stars if I could. The story follows a lively little Norwegian girl and her elderly best friend. Where Adventures with Waffles soared in humor and action and dug deep in human relationships, Astrid stays pretty shallow in both story arc and character development. Predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Lori
Blinking badgers! What a delightful book! Nine year old Astrid lives by her young aunties mantra - speed and self-confidence- in a small mountain village of Norway. This is what a childrens' book should be - a true child's perspective, children's adventures, fun language, and easily read in one sitting. ...more
Cheryl
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story, this town, and the adventurous hero(ine) determined to heal her community. Wholesome and 'green' but not vegetarian... very Norwegian. I don't have words, just feels, though. Recommended especially for ages 7-10 and their families. I certainly would have loved it when I was a young girl. ...more
Beverly
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jf-general
This humorous and moving book was translated into English from Norwegian. Similar to a Ramona the Pest book, but Astrid is 9 years old, and the book is longer than the typical Ramona book. Astrid, as the only child in her tiny mountain village, manages to turn the place upside down with her shenanigans. The story includes a surly wellness camp owner; her best friend, a senior citizen who is also her godfather; and a new family, with children, that comes to town. Everything Astrid does, she does ...more
Beth
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ship me to Norway. This book—the characters—the setting—just the best. Grab some hot cocoa and read Astrid’s story. All the feels with this book—it’s sweet, sad, silly, happy...just all the things that are oh so good. Read adventures with waffles and then read this. Completely heartwarming.
Julie
This was an absolutely perfect cozy read! The little thunderbolt of Glimmerdal was an utter delight and I am off to find more books from Maria Parr. The pages of the book transported me to the mountains of Norway and I enjoyed every minute with the sweet and sassy Astrid.
Alina Maria Cristea
Lovely read for the beginning of the winter season.
OwlCrate Jr
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful.
Amy Owens
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most delightful children’s books we’ve read. It was funny, sweet, sad and dealt with real life feelings, problems and consequences. A very hopeful book.
Chrishna
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is excellent literature, and not just for children. A delightful read.
Dee Dee G
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This girl is a little firecracker! Cute book.
Joey
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
/3.5 stars/

Cute read. Took foreeeeveeeer for me to read this aloud to my family and I’m honestly glad we’re done
Melissa
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was super cute. The grumpy godfather, the aunts, Astrid herself were all amazing. I think my favorite is the dad.
Katrina Tangen
So good! A Norwegian Pippi Longstocking, but with a surprisingly serious story. (Not depressing or issue-y or anything.) I like both aspects a lot, though I kind of wanted to stick with the crazy, quirky part. But I definitely want more of Astrid's adventures of any kind! ...more
Nicole
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-read, read-jul-19
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Did I like Astrid the Unstoppable? Yes! Would I recommend it to children, the target audience? Maybe not. Astrid the Unstoppable is heartfelt, witty, and overall an important read, but there's also mentions of drugs and animal death. Preteens should read this book, but anyone younger than that might not appreciate it as much or find it slightly inappropriate.

Astrid the Unstoppable is a book originally written in Norwegian and almost t
Joel Reed
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read aloud to the family. Very heartwarming. We all loved it!
Mrs.Pumpkin
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-my-life
One of The best books I've ever read.It showed me that true home isn't a place but people that you live with. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Year of Miss Agnes
  • The Nerviest Girl in the World
  • The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found (The Vanderbeekers, #4)
  • Brune
  • When Mischief Came to Town
  • Just Beyond the Very, Very Far North
  • The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A Novel of Snow and Courage
  • Skogen den grøne
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook (Milly-Molly-Mandy)
  • Hør her’a!
  • The Light at Tern Rock
  • Jeg vil våkne til verden
  • Here's a Penny
  • Buffy By er talentfull : en selvbiografi
Maria Parr is a writer and high-school teacher. Adventures with Waffles, her debut novel, has been translated into twenty languages and won several awards around the world. Maria Parr lives in Norway with her family.

News & Interviews

“Тоня верит, что Бог создал её тёток в хороший день.
- Создам-ка я сегодня сюрприз, - сказал Бог и создал тётку.
Он сделал её рыжей, веснушчатой и устроил так, чтобы она складывалась как гармошка, когда хохочет. Потом он напихал в неё много-много звуков. Он никогда ещё не делал таких шумных тётушек, часто думает Тоня. Потом Бог решил, что тётя будет любить всё хорошее, и всё, что быстро ходит, и всё, что высоко летает. Бог отошёл полюбоваться на готовую тётку, и она ему так понравилась, что он решил сделать ещё одну такую же. И к вечеру у него были две совершенно одинаковые тётушки. Оставался последний штрих, и Бог набрал пригоршню веснушек в банке с веснушками и усыпал ими тётушек, особенно коленки.
- Что за прелесть - веснушки на коленках,- восхитился Бог.
И стал думать, кому бы подарить тётушек, уж больно они шумные. Ну и в конце концов сунул их в живот к бабушке. У неё уже было четыре мальчика, которые как раз начали подрастать, так что она было готова ко всему. Бабушка назвала первую тётю Идун, а вторую тётю - Эйр, и считала их самыми красивыми на свете. Так она сама рассказывала Тоне. А Бог с неба присматривал за её тётками, как он вообще всегда присматривает за людьми. Но за этими приходилось смотреть особенно внимательно, больно уж они были горазды на разные выдумки.А когда тёткам исполнилось десять, Бог решил сделать им сюрприз.
- И вот - трам-там-там - родилась Тоня-Грохотоня с веснушками на коленках, - говорит гроза Глиммердала, когда рассказывает эту историю тёте Идун и тёте Эйр.
Бог придумал всё так здорово, что она сама не придумала бы лучше.”
5 likes
“Тоня стоит перед больницей, опустив руки. Ветер треплет зажатые в кулаке двести крон.
- Моя жизнь лежит в руинах, - бормочет она, потому что так всегда причитает тётя Эйр, когда жизнь перестаёт её слушаться.
- Твои проблемы - это просто сопля в океане, - отвечает ей на это тётя Идун.
- Но сопля тоже лежит в руинах, - говорит тётя Эйр.”
3 likes