Start by marking “Astrid the Unstoppable” as Want to Read:
Astrid the Unstoppable

Astrid the Unstoppable

A modern classic in the making, this hilarious and heartwarming story explores the true meaning of family and friendship, and will delight fans of Pippi Longstocking.

Speed and self-confidence, that's Astrid Glimmerdal's motto. And her hair-raising escapades give her plenty of opportunity to practise both. Nicknamed "the little thunderbolt", Astrid loves to spend her days r

Published November 13th 2018 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Astrid the Unstoppable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astrid the Unstoppable

Start your review of Astrid the Unstoppable
Marie the Librarian
URGH THIS BOOK. IT HIT ME RIGHT IN THE FEELS. Such an enchanting book written in a very beautiful way that made me shed a tear once or twice. TONJE <3 ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
In this new middle grade novel by Norwegian author Maria Parr (Adventures with Waffles, 2015) Astrid is the only child living in her village of Glimmerdal, and as a result her best friend is an elderly man named Gunnvald. Astrid, who is known in her community as "the little thunderbolt" has very strong emotions as well as a tendency to be a bit of a daredevil which frequently gets her into trouble. Astrid has always wanted the excitement of newcomers in town, especially kids, but when some stran ...more
Zoe
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh goodness me, this book is GLORIOUS. I've just finished it, and all I really want to do is rush around finding people I could read it to. It's like the best, warmest, most joyous hug, full of laughter and wisdom and yet it's also a long time since I read a book that made me cry so much. It's full of music and love and unspoken emotions that struggle to work themselves out, and also reassurance and hope and kindness. Yes, in some ways it's like a 21st century version of some of Astrid Lindgren' ...more
Literary Soirée
“Astrid the Unstoppable” by Maria Parr is a delightful tale about “the little thunderbolt” Astrid, who loves to speed down hillsides on her sled, sing as loudly as possible, and visit her septuagenarian godfather, who makes her hot chocolate from real chocolate bars. Described as Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley, Astrid is a character you will fall in love with as you follow the exploits of this spirited Norwegian mountain girl who navigates village life and unexpected change wi ...more
Faith Hough
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a review for Astrid the Unstoppable mentioned Anne of Green Gables and Pippi Longstocking in the same sentence, you'd better believe I snapped this up like a kid at Christmas. My final judgement: Astrid is far more Pippi than Anne. For the first half of the book, one wild romp leads to the next, and the emotional story takes a supporting role. But when that B Story hits...boy, does it hit. Maria Parr tackles some hefty emotional topics without losing the fun and whimsy of the first half.
I h
DaNae
This is everything I love in a book. So many tears, some of anger, grief, joy and full out mirth.
Jenny
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the setting and the characters in this book. Astrid is a feisty, opinionated, brave little girl whose best friend is 74 year old Gunnvald. Astrid is nicknamed the "little thunderbolt". But when she learns that Gunnvald has a daughter named Heidi that Astrid never knew about and that Gunnvald hasn't spoken to in years, she is angry and heartbroken and confused. Why didn't anyone ever tell her? Why hasn't Gunnvald talked to his daughter? What will happen when the very angry Heidi sells Gunnva ...more
Heidi Burkhart
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Translated from Norwegian, this children's chapter book is absolutely fabulous! Whether read aloud to a classroom, or read on one's own, it is easy to fall in love with the delightful and very lively Astrid right from the start. Her many adventures and love for the friends and family around her make her even more enduring. I won't say anymore, though there are many adventures to discover.

One of the best chapter books for kids in the decade! I can't wait for more and more from Parr.
Lori
Blinking badgers! What a delightful book! Nine year old Astrid lives by her young aunties mantra - speed and self-confidence- in a small mountain village of Norway. This is what a childrens' book should be - a true child's perspective, children's adventures, fun language, and easily read in one sitting.
Cheryl
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story, this town, and the adventurous hero(ine) determined to heal her community. Wholesome and 'green' but not vegetarian... very Norwegian. I don't have words, just feels, though. Recommended especially for ages 7-10 and their families. I certainly would have loved it when I was a young girl.
Stefan Hull
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be 3.5 stars if I could. The story follows a lively little Norwegian girl and her elderly best friend. Where Adventures with Waffles soared in humor and action and dug deep in human relationships, Astrid stays pretty shallow in both story arc and character development. Predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Beverly
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jf-general
This humorous and moving book was translated into English from Norwegian. Similar to a Ramona the Pest book, but Astrid is 9 years old, and the book is longer than the typical Ramona book. Astrid, as the only child in her tiny mountain village, manages to turn the place upside down with her shenanigans. The story includes a surly wellness camp owner; her best friend, a senior citizen who is also her godfather; and a new family, with children, that comes to town. Everything Astrid does, she does ...more
Alina Maria Ciobanu
Lovely read for the beginning of the winter season.
OwlCrate Jr
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful.
Amy Owens
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most delightful children’s books we’ve read. It was funny, sweet, sad and dealt with real life feelings, problems and consequences. A very hopeful book.
Chrishna
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is excellent literature, and not just for children. A delightful read.
Dee Dee G
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This girl is a little firecracker! Cute book.
Joel Reed
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read aloud to the family. Very heartwarming. We all loved it!
Nicole
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-read, read-jul-19
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Did I like Astrid the Unstoppable? Yes! Would I recommend it to children, the target audience? Maybe not. Astrid the Unstoppable is heartfelt, witty, and overall an important read, but there's also mentions of drugs and animal death. Preteens should read this book, but anyone younger than that might not appreciate it as much or find it slightly inappropriate.

Astrid the Unstoppable is a book originally written in Norwegian and almost t
Katrina
So good! A Norwegian Pippi Longstocking, but with a surprisingly serious story. (Not depressing or issue-y or anything.) I like both aspects a lot, though I kind of wanted to stick with the crazy, quirky part. But I definitely want more of Astrid's adventures of any kind!
Stephanie Pratt
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this children’s chapter book. The main character, Astrid, reminded me of Pippy Longstocking. She was spunky and had lots of heart. This book would make a great read aloud.
Ann Santori
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cover alone would make me pick up the book, but man is this a prose embodiment of 'hygge.' Filled with beautiful descriptions and even more poignant emotions, Must read.

I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Elizabeth
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t know anything about this book and it was a delight! I love that the book finishes in April on Easter Sunday with Astrid turning 10 years old and I’m about to turn 30 in April near Easter. I turned 1 and 12 on Easter. It makes me feel a kind of kinship with Astrid though she is far more gutsy than I ever was! What a character!
Leah
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY CHILDHOOD<333 ...more
Guro
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book with nuanced characters. The story always introduces just enough new elements to keep you invested. A great read for all ages. It captures the vibe of rural Norway perfectly.
Gremrien
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is called "modern Astrid Lindgren," and rightly so. She is not so prolific as Astrid Lindgren (yet? she is very young -- of 1981 year of birth), but she is definitely similarly warm and sincere in her book. And she is Scandinavian, too. In particular, "Тоня Глиммердал" -- as recent as it is -- now is being included in all lists of the best children literature of all times and more and more people say, after reading it, that "this is one of my favorite children books now!"

I would not
Angie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astrid is the little thunderbolt of Glimmerdal. She is the only child and her best friend is an elderly neighbor, Gunnvald. Astrid's life on the mountain seems idyllic. She lives with her father; her mother is away in Greenland studying the icebergs. She spends her days with Gunnvald inventing the most amazing sled or just listening to him play his fiddle. She has the run of the mountains and valleys of her home. That all changes when Gunnvald becomes injured and his estranged daughter comes to ...more
Kim Tyo-Dickerson
Astrid is known as the Little Thunderbolt, racing through the Norwegian countryside of Glimmerdal on homemade sleds built by her best friend, 74 year-old Gunnvald. With a lion's mane of red curls and a feisty attitude, 9 year-old Astrid has grown up in the comforts of her family's sheep farm and spends her days outdoors climbing the mountains, skiing and sledding, eating reindeer meatballs, and bouncing between houses making her rounds visiting and checking up on the local inhabitants. Astrid's ...more
Tasha
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Astrid loves living in her tiny village in the mountains. The only problem is that no other children live nearby. She does have a best friend, Gunnvald, a neighbor in his seventies who loves to play the fiddle and can be rather grumpy. Astrid spends her time playing outside, building prototype sleds with Gunnvald, and bothering the owner of the wellness retreat nearby. When some children do come to the retreat (where children are forbidden) Astrid becomes friends with them despite having a fight ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
What would you get if you combined Pippi Longstocking with Dennis the Menance? Astrid the Unstoppable, of course! I fell in love with Astrid immediately. Her voice captured me, and her fearlessness, honesty, and big heart kept me captive.

It's so refreshing seeing things through a child's eyes, and Astrid sees and notices a lot. Not only do we have some fun adventures with Astrid, we also experience some more serious things, like missing a parent, divorce, death, missing a parent, and family sec
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• My Happy Life
  • Ikke tenk på meg
  • Rymlingarna
  • Ensomheten i Lydia Ernemans liv
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers, #3)
  • Buffy By er talentfull : en selvbiografi
  • Voksne mennesker
Maria Parr is a writer and high-school teacher. Adventures with Waffles, her debut novel, has been translated into twenty languages and won several awards around the world. Maria Parr lives in Norway with her family.

Related Articles

“Тоня верит, что Бог создал её тёток в хороший день.
- Создам-ка я сегодня сюрприз, - сказал Бог и создал тётку.
Он сделал её рыжей, веснушчатой и устроил так, чтобы она складывалась как гармошка, когда хохочет. Потом он напихал в неё много-много звуков. Он никогда ещё не делал таких шумных тётушек, часто думает Тоня. Потом Бог решил, что тётя будет любить всё хорошее, и всё, что быстро ходит, и всё, что высоко летает. Бог отошёл полюбоваться на готовую тётку, и она ему так понравилась, что он решил сделать ещё одну такую же. И к вечеру у него были две совершенно одинаковые тётушки. Оставался последний штрих, и Бог набрал пригоршню веснушек в банке с веснушками и усыпал ими тётушек, особенно коленки.
- Что за прелесть - веснушки на коленках,- восхитился Бог.
И стал думать, кому бы подарить тётушек, уж больно они шумные. Ну и в конце концов сунул их в живот к бабушке. У неё уже было четыре мальчика, которые как раз начали подрастать, так что она было готова ко всему. Бабушка назвала первую тётю Идун, а вторую тётю - Эйр, и считала их самыми красивыми на свете. Так она сама рассказывала Тоне. А Бог с неба присматривал за её тётками, как он вообще всегда присматривает за людьми. Но за этими приходилось смотреть особенно внимательно, больно уж они были горазды на разные выдумки.А когда тёткам исполнилось десять, Бог решил сделать им сюрприз.
- И вот - трам-там-там - родилась Тоня-Грохотоня с веснушками на коленках, - говорит гроза Глиммердала, когда рассказывает эту историю тёте Идун и тёте Эйр.
Бог придумал всё так здорово, что она сама не придумала бы лучше.”
5 likes
“Тоня стоит перед больницей, опустив руки. Ветер треплет зажатые в кулаке двести крон.
- Моя жизнь лежит в руинах, - бормочет она, потому что так всегда причитает тётя Эйр, когда жизнь перестаёт её слушаться.
- Твои проблемы - это просто сопля в океане, - отвечает ей на это тётя Идун.
- Но сопля тоже лежит в руинах, - говорит тётя Эйр.”
3 likes