Start by marking “Mousie, I Will Read to You” as Want to Read:

Mousie, I Will Read to You

Like Rosemary Wells's Read to Your Bunny and with the charm of The Wonderful Things You Will Be, this gorgeous book will surely appeal to families who want their children to become lifelong readers.

Long before the words make sense, Mousie,
I will read to you
The simplest story,
about an acorn that drops to the ground.

So begins this warm and poignant picture book
Published November 13th 2018 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about Mousie, I Will Read to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mousie, I Will Read to You

Rachel Smith
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not crying, you're crying
Abigail
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Bibliophiles / Parents Who Love to Read with Their Children
Inspired by the American Academy of Pediatrics, which recommends that parents and caregivers read to their children every day, in order to build language, literacy and social skills, author Rachael Cole spins this sweet tale of a mama mouse who reads to her baby. Every day, from the time the mouseling is a newborn, she reads to and with him, eventually witnessing his emergence as an independent reader. One day, when he has grown up, he begins to read to his own baby...

Jillian
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is just.... sweet. It's super sweet. It can be read to kids over and over, from the time they're tiny to the time they've got kids of their own.
It covers so many milestones, both with language development as well as just growing up - first words, a first sentence, first "adult" conversation.

It's just.... it's great.
Jill
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to be honest, when I first started this book, I thought it was going to be boring, but it was, in fact, lovely. Sweet and lyrical and soft and floaty, it was a really beautiful book promoting the value of reading, with a writeup from a pediatrician about the importance of early reading.
KC
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading is great, even for mice...
Kayla
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
SUCH a sweet book. Tugged on my book-loving new mama heart strings for sure. <3
Melissa
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, all the feels! It was like reading a book reflecting my own life with Benji - Mousie even picked out a train book at the library! It's like they're twins! What a lovely, touching story about growing up a reader :-)
Gabrielle Stoller
OMG. This book is going to be my next book that I purchase. I absolutely loved it and I do not have children of my own yet. This book reminded me of "I'll Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch....but I like it infinitely better.

It is the story of a momma reading to her baby and all of the developmental milestones that come along the way. Mother and child love to be together and Mom uses every opportunity to talk and read and frankly, use every single early literacy practice that there is (remember,
Barbara
Parents looking to foster a lifelong love of reading will find plenty of tips in the text and back matter of this picture book. From the time it is born, a mother mouse reads aloud to her child. Over time, the child associates reading with comfort and shared companionship. I loved how the child eventually is able to choose his own books and read first one or two words and then the whole book independently. As the boy grows up, he reads to his own stuffed animal friends, and then embraces books a ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Mousie , I will Read to You By Rachael Cole, illustrated by Melissa Crowton. PICTURE BOOK. Schartz & Wade (Penguin Random). 2018. $18. 9781524715366

BUYING ADVISORY: PRE-K, EL (K-3) – GIFT

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Baby mousie is growing up and the parent mouse tells the story of how s/he will read to the baby always –starting when the baby is little and “long before the works make sense”. It continues until one day Mousie has a baby mouse of his/her own. Feature harmonious and simple illustrati
Patti
A warm and loving ode to the power of words, sharing stories and the simplicity of raising a reader. The story follows a little mouse and his mother as she first introduces Mousie to stories and poems, shares her love of reading, and then watches Mousie take ownership of his own reading and begin the cycle again with his own little mousie. A note with tips about raising readers for parents, from Pamela High, MD, a Fellow at the American Academy of Pediatrics, is included. A wonderful baby shower ...more
Katiebeth
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A modern alternative to Robert Munsch's I'll Love You Forever, Cole's book follows the love a parent has for their child throughout the years as shared through a love of reading. I think this is poignant for demonstrating to children that reading is important, it is a life skill, and it is a shared treasure. An absolute must give at a baby shower! Each of the mamas-to-be I have gifted this to have cried on the spot. The joy of parenthood in this book is perfectly expressed. Highly recommend.
Angela
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, parenting
"Long before the words make sense, Mousie, I will read to you" [Sob.]
...
"Your first words fall out of your mouth like treasures-" [Sob again.]
...
"After bathtime, cozy in pajamas, you'll climb onto my lap, asking for the book about the bear" [SOB, SOB, SOB!]

If there ever comes a day when I can get through this book without crying, I will read it to my child. I highly recommend it for new and expecting parents and grandparents.
Serenity
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher through my district library services*

This is a very sweet and gentle picture book about the power of story and the importance of reading and sharing words with little ones. Almost more for parents than children, it should still have broad appeal and will make a nice lap read.
Barbara
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A parent reads to their newborn and tells them about all the fun moments they will have reading books together. This calming story about words will be fun to read with children ages 2 - 6. Tips on raising a reader are found on the last page.

Amanda Ortman
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-picture
The life of a mouse is narrated by their parent telling them all the milestones they will meet with language and reading. Ends nicely by circling around telling the child and when you have a baby you'll do this.
Rachel
A very sweet book about the importance of reading to your child, and it even has tips in the back for how to do that. It made me tear up a bit thinking about reading like this to my son and how fast he is growing up.
Kelly
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, animals
This book is so wonderful. It should be handed out at hospitals. It's calming and lets parents know to read to their children even when they are super tiny. I almost cried at the end even, although I've also been pretty teary lately. Also, the illustrations are fantastic and fit the book so well.
Edward Sullivan
A good book for parents to share with children.
Kyra Hahn
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Charming picture book about a reading throughout all life stages
Elisabeth
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is written for grown-ups to feel good about reading to their kiddos (not that there is anything wrong with that!)
Jesse
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can admit that I cried. A beautiful, lovely homage to reading with your children and the continued influence it has on their lives. <3
Jacqueline
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-from-gammy
This book reminds me of reading with my Gammy.
Kelly
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved it. It reminded me of "Love You Forever."
Esther Glenn
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is well-paced, and I loved the story line. I am a literacy advocate so this is a book to share over and over again to emphasize the importance of daily reading to a child.
Lisa D
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cute book that encourages reading among young kids! Loved it!
Sandra
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry! It started so sweet and the last couple pages really did me in. This is the perfect book to give a mother and newborn.
Marianne
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful gift for new parents!
Kaitlin
A beautiful story about early literacy and children's development. Perfectly models the ways in which caregivers can help their little ones develop a lifelong love of learning.
extraordinary ordinary whimsy