Start by marking “Ever After” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  922 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
As next in line for the Evergreen crown, Prince Merrick Davendall’s future involves ruling, marriage, and producing an heir of his own. But he’s long been tormented by desires that are far from princely. Especially when the beautiful Cassius is promoted to be his new valet, and Merrick is struck by a longing like never before—a longing to know him far beyond royal and serv ...more
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 262 pages
Published February 26th 2018 by Christina Lee and Riley Hart

To ask other readers questions about Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ever After

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
He was like the most beautiful words Cassius could ever write brought to life. He was the greatest story ever told.

Ever After takes place in a fantasy world with kingdoms and castles.

There is no magic; phones and television don't exist; and the description of clothing harkens back to the 19th century. But there are cars, trains, and modern plumbing amenities. Sadly, same-sex relationships are frowned upon, particularly for a prince expected to carry on the royal lineage.

So what's a prince
Shin Mon Thway
I think I’m in the minority here about this very highly-raved book. 😬 Look, I like this book enough but I didn’t fall in love with it as I thought I would. 😭 May be because my expectations were too high on this one? I don’t know but this read like a very unparticular novel to me.

Cassius is working as a footman at the royal palace of Evergreen. And he loathed his job. He loathed almost everything about it except the pay. But when he got an opportunity to become a valet apprentice for the crown p
Nazanin
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, m-m-romance
3.5 Stars

"Once upon a time there was an exquisite prince
Who filled my wintry soul with all the colors of spring
He became my day, my night, my sun, my moon
My heart, my soul, my very bones
My Ever After"

Merrick is a prince and it’s time to get married and produce an heir. His parents, the king and the queen, pressured him to choose a wife, even the queen herself chose some girls and introduced them to the prince but none of them fascinated him. The prince has someone else in his mind, someone that
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
All of my friends have loved Ever After: A Gay Fairy Tale, and with two big-name authors (Riley Hart and Christina Lee) and that gorgeous cover, I figured I had a sure-thing on my hands.

While I ended up liking the story, it was just missing that special something to take it from "like" to "love."

First of all, from that cover, I was expecting the setting of the book to be in medieval times (alternate history, of course, because it is called "a gay fairy tale"). I was really, really surprised to
☆ Todd
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

This fairytale of two lovers in a time when same sex attraction was frowned upon, especially in society circles, definitely had its share of extremely touching moments.

The scene with the orphans and the snowball fight.

The scenes in Merrick's secret clearing in the forest, where Cas finally began to let the prince in.

The scenes where Princess Marjorie truly had her beloved brother's best interests and happiness at heart.

Visiting Cassius' family.

The night they shared at the inn.

And yet...

There was
Lisa
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, for-review
4.5 Stars!

Ever After is a lovely fairytale-esque MM romance written by authors Christina Lee and Riley. I have read books by both these authors and was very excited to see that they would be working together in this collaboration. There was never any doubt that I would end up loving this one. These authors certainly have what it takes to pen a seriously awesome MM romance. A fantasy tale about a forbidden love that captured my heart.

Prince Merrick Davendall knows all about duty and the burden th
.Lili.
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Ever After by Riley Hart and Christina Lee is a sweet, magical, and passionate story all wrapped with a happily Ever After. No pun intended. It's a fantasy story about a young prince being pressured to chose a bride, but he instead finds himself falling in love with his new valet. Although Merrick, the prince, and Cassius, his valet come from different backgrounds, they are very similar. They're both simple men who enjoy art and nature and want nothing more than the freedom to live and love op
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3 Hearts - BR with LiaB!!

To be honest, I’m a bit torn about how I feel about this story. I can see how this could appeal to many and also, I can see how some might be not as enamored.

Prince Merrick has a lot of responsibility weighing on him. He’s to inherit the throne and needs to find a wife because most importantly, he needs to provide an heir. Funny that. Too bad he doesn’t fancy women. At all. However, Merrick knows his duty and he resigns himself to his fate, but it seems that his new vale
Cadiva
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This fairy tale should be an epic animated classic, one where young boys can dream of finding their handsome Prince and handsome Princes can dream of finding their person - the one who loves them for themselves.

It's a truly beautiful Cinderella story which perfectly lives up to the stunning Jay Aheer cover which inspired its creation. The storytelling is compelling, although some youngsters might find there's "too much kissing" ;) when grandpa reads it to them when they're poorly at home.

But, ju
Karla
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

This was a sweet and lovely read. I enjoyed the forbidden aspect of the love between prince Merrick and his valet Cassius. How their attraction grew, those looks they shared, and the touches that linger, it made the build more intense. Even though the angst was low I was surprised how emotional it was. These guys had me teary for the last couple of chapters you definitely felt the love and devotion to each other. And how how much they would of sacrifice for the sake of duty even if it b
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
DNF @ 53%

I just couldn't get in to this one. It took me a week just to get to 53%, and it's not a long book. At all. Honestly, there was really nothing wrong with it. It just never grabbed my attention.

I'm not a super big fan of historicals to begin with and combined with the slow build of this one I found myself losing interest. The pace was just too slow and the plot to lackluster.

Maybe I'll go back to it someday....
Len Evans Jr
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I just spent the last 20% of this book in tears... a lot of happy ones and some sad. The authors did an astounding job of writing this fairy tale. The world-building was wonderfully done, and the characters including the large secondary cast were fully-fleshed and real enough to step right out of this book into our world. The story itself... a tale as old as time... was beautifully written and paced. The authors latched onto me in the first chapter and never let me go for a second. I would have ...more
Jess
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeously perfect. EVER AFTER by Riley Hart and Christina Lee was simply magical. A scandalous yet genuine showcasing of love, forgiveness and acceptance.

I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect rendition of a fairytale. This book encapsulated all that is necessary to win over a reader. I was sucked in right from the beginning with Cassius and Merrick and their initial weariness of one another, but they grew wonderfully together and separately.

Lee and Hart highlighted the most amazing parts o
Lorraine Lesar
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*you can relax Dani(ela) ❤ love & semi-colons, your heart will remain unbroken, I LOVED IT*

“Once upon a time there was an exquisite prince who filled my wintry soul with all the colours of spring. He became my day, my night, my sun, my moon. My heart, my soul, my very bones, my ever after”.
How can any romance reader resist that? I certainly couldn’t.
Is it my imagination, or is this the most currently read book on GR at the moment? If I’m right and it is, I can totally see why. This was not o
Meags
4.5 Stars

Ever After is a truly beautiful and heart-warming fairy tale romance about the forbidden love that blossoms between a benevolent prince and his devoted valet.

When they first meet, Prince Merrick and his new valet Cassius are just two young men living dedicated lives of duty and honour, both trying to do what’s best for their families and for the greater good of the kingdom they serve.

Although both men come from different walks of life and have different kinds of expectations placed upo
Christelle
For fan of a fairy tale, set up in a fantasy world quite close to our time, but not our time either (I know, I don’t make much sense : sue me, LOL), where a prince and his new valet slowly but irrevocably fall in love.

It’s a slow burn with a lot of sexual tension and a fight between passion and reality, destiny and responsibilities. It’s sweet, full of stolen moments filled with tenderness.

I needed a fluffy read with two charming MCs, supportive friends and family and a nice HEA that could bri
Judy
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the sweetest fairy tale I have yet to read!

Filled with longing glances, sweet smiles, laughs, passion, tears, forbidden love, and heartbreak. UGH!
I adored every minute of it! I also shed many tears, and happy smiles!

Bravo, Christina and Riley!! It was beautiful!
haletostilinski
I loved this! It was so sweet and adorable and fascinating. What was fascinating was that this world seemed to be a mix of historical and modern day. Like as far as I could discern, there were not tvs or phones or radio, etc, so like it is in historical times. But at the same time, they have modern-ish clothing and cars are a thing in this world. But society is still fairly conservative, enough that woman's roles are pretty traditional and being anything other than straight is a bad thing. It ev ...more
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited, m-m
I am a huge fan of Fairy Tale retellings and this was a mostly sweet addition.

It just kind of bored me.

Nothing much really happened and the drama that we finally got did not please me.

It was mostly sweet though!
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Prince Merrick isn't your normal Prince. He does dream of children that could be heirs for the family, but more like children he adopts from the local orphanage. His desires lie towards a different gender....which is prohibited in his level of society and goes completely against his family expectations for him.

Cassius has come to work at the castle after his father has passed to help his mother and sisters live a life that they deserve. Moving up quickly in the ranks has him as the prince's vale
Bibliophile
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 stars. This was a fun read. Since I can't say it better than A Reader Obsessed, I'm just going to quote her when she says, "I have to give credit because this is a thoughtful rumination on class differences and the weight of responsibility on both these men. It is realistic in the evolving relationship between a prince and his servant where crossing the social lines is unheard of and not condoned. The attraction and feels are organic, and the inner turmoil these men go through was heartfelt. ...more
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Ever After

Cute book. A m/m fairytale between a prince and his valet. I'll confess I struggled getting through the first half of this story and found myself often getting bored. So I will say, you have to be patient with this book in order for the pay off because it does eventually pick up.
Like every "Cinderella story" there is always the obstacles that keep the two loves apart. In this case there were quite a few. First, there's the social hierarchy. A Prince is not to associate romantically w
Natasha is a Book Junkie
“There will never be another I love the way I love you.”

From the moment I opened this book, I got this fluttery feeling in my stomach, telling me I was in for quite a treat. Superbly written, deeply affecting, and deliciously angsty, this was the perfect melding of escapist make-believe with truths from our own reality, creating a timeless love story of a prince falling for a commoner that will steal your sleep and feed your soul. Reading this book made me feel again like my twelve-year-old
Christina
EVER AFTER is now LIVE (and available in KU)!

Alex
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feel-good, emotional
I stumbled upon this book by accident.
I was not looking for it. I didn't see at first who the author was.
I read the blurb and thought... Meh. Why not? I don't feel inspired by anything right now...

Then I saw it was Christina Lee and Riley Hart and while their books not always hit the 5 stars for me. I always find them really nice and with good writing.

This one was soooo very, very sweet! I really enjoyed it!.
Thank god it was a slow day at work and I basically read it in one go...

It was a fairy
Daesy
**grm**
I really liked this book, but idk why I just felt that it missed something, and is hard to explain what "that" is, but was there, at least for me.
From the start we know this is gonna have an HEA, so also when there was angst and conflict, and the authors were really good in writing the MCs pain, despair and fear of never being together,we knew all was gonna be ok. I still wished for more. Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of drama and I don't want anything bad to happen to chars that I st
Lost in a Book
3.5 Stars

Tag Team with R

I had some serious grabby hands for this book. Before I cracked it open, many of my happy boxes were checked; Historical, fantasy, fairy tale spin off, difference in stations, and an interesting cover. While it didn’t live up to the excite I had going into it, it was still ridiculously sweet, with some enjoyable moments, and likable MCs.

Prince Merrick is the crown prince and his parents are trying to wife him up and knock her up so he can ensure the line of succession. He
Sanaa  ☆ Sanaa's Book Blog ☆
4 stars.

Ever After was magical. And adorable. And swoon-worthy. And did I mention magical? And they get their happily ever after. No pun intended.

I loved Cassius and Merrick. And all the side characters. In fact this entire story was fully developed which made everything so much more enjoyable. And it was told is dual POV's. Because yes. I really needed that!

I don't know if this book is the first for them being a duo but it was well done. Everything flowed so effortlessly that you couldn't
~Kristin~
4+ Stars
Riley Hart is the girl who wears her heart on her sleeve. She's a hopeless romantic. A lover of sexy stories, passionate men, and writing about all the trouble they can get into together. If she's not writing, you'll probably find her reading.

Riley lives in California with her awesome family, who she is thankful for everyday.

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Chronicles, #1)
  • 14
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Cassius?” Prince Merrick whispered, looking at him as though he could feel Cassius’s tension. “Are you well? You’re shaking.”
“I’m…I’m sorry, Your Highness. I am well.” He managed to get the words past his dry lips.
Though it was too dark to see the prince’s eyes, he could feel them upon him, his stare intense. He felt it like a caress, like soft yet urgent fingers against his skin.
Why could he not have this one thing for himself? A moment that went beyond satisfying his prick with a man he did not know, but with one he did. Someone he enjoyed, someone he desired beyond simple fucking.
Because he is a prince and you are his servant…
This was not a story, a fairy tale selling the lie of a happily-ever-after that couldn’t be a reality for someone like Cassius. That was not a reality for Merrick either.
He turned away, did not let himself gaze at the prince for the rest of the performance. He ignored Lady Penelope’s whispers to Prince Merrick, the jealousy that burned through his gut.
This was his reality, and he had better get used to it”
3 likes
“How long have you known that you also fancy men?”
Merrick’s breath hitched as he dropped his head, panting heavily as the sponge stroked across his nape. He attempted to get his jumbled thoughts in order. Was this Cassius’s attempt to understand him? To form an amicable connection with him?
“Not also,” he replied. “Only. I only fancy men.”
For of that he was certain, and saying it out loud made it ring even clearer in his head. “I’ve known for as long as I can remember. When Marjorie played with her dolls, I felt an uncomfortable tightness in my chest as she pretended the male was courting the female. I would change the script in my head and…and have the gentleman court another gentleman.”
The silence was nearly deafening in the room, the only sounds their harsh breaths and the water dripping off the sponge.
“And you?” Merrick asked, clearing his throat.
“It’s taken me a bit longer to know…to understand. I thought something was wrong with me, or that perhaps I was a late bloomer. My life has always been about my family…not about friends, nor anyone I ever fancied. When I finally took time to look inside myself, to allow myself pleasure, women had never figured into the equation”
2 likes